!!!What is Fear???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MattMooradian

Apr 3, 2020
MUNSTER, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
all those symptoms can be manifested by watching the right movie though, right
That is correct. Which is why movies/rollercoasters are fun. Fear in a controlled situation. However, the fact that fear can be triggered by imaginary events (movies) is one of the reasons fear affects our health: we imagine fearful events, and still the fear response is turned on as if we were experiencing a real event. This is why worry can be so detrimental: a fear that may or may not occur, but we imagine that it may occur, triggering the fear response.

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
and then we have Mark Twain~

“I've had a lot of worries all through my life, most of which never happened.”

~ Mark Twain~
What worries me, concerns me, is the growth in anxiousness when we have less to threaten us than before.

I think people find it harder to put fear and worry in an appropriate place and size so it runs away with itself. Without friends and help it is a train running faster and faster down the tracks.

One lady I listened to learnt to allow herself to be anxious, and then work through the fear step by step. It changed her life. As believers we have love and the cross, which can still any storm. We will one day go and meet Him, amen, Praise the Lord

Reactions: Helen

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
here's one for you i bet no one can provide an all-inclusive definition of "fear" that cant be pretty easily challenged.

So what is fear?

all creatures aware of their existence fear. if they didn't they wouldn't survive very long. hence what one fears has to do with what one isn't willing to loss, or values most in many cases.

in the case of ones soul Jesus says:

Mat_10:28  And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

its what one fears that matters, some in the world don't believe or at least deny they have a soul so there is no fear of losing it. or they value this life more then their souls and have no fear of a god as much as fear of losing this life that is condemned already.

fear in and of itself is not rocket science, if you seek to keep your had you will keep you hand away from a moving saw blade.

also your not in control of your destiny, hence shouldn't one fear the One who is.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
some in the world don't believe or at least deny they have a soul
ah well fwiw i deny that too! Soul and Life is the same root yeh?
or they value this life more then their souls
huh?
Mat_10:28  And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell
well or Gehenna, which is right here in erets right, but whatevs
fear in and of itself is not rocket science, if you seek to keep your had you will keep you hand away from a moving saw blade.
well to that i would say a saw blade commands respect, sure, but i dunno how much any of that really addresses "fear" as an emotion, or maybe what we would call "unfounded fears" or even paranoia?
also your not in control of your destiny, hence shouldn't one fear the One who is.
again strikes me as more of a respect issue, and less an emotional fear issue...except i guess to Es...those who feel they need propitiation

Last edited:

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Basic fear is not being in control. Fear of God is not being in control. Those who have no fear at all, are only those who let God have total control, and all their trust is in God.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ah well fwiw i deny that too! Soul and Life is the same root yeh?
huh?
well or Gehenna, which is right here in erets right, but whatevs

well to that i would say a saw blade commands respect, sure, but i dunno how much any of that really addresses "fear" as an emotion, or maybe what we would call "unfounded fears" or even paranoia?
again strikes me as more of a respect issue, and less an emotional fear issue...except i guess to Es...those who feel they need propitiation
all though you should use English in stead of your cell phone:

bottom line is God has nothing to fear, but everything else not God, does have something to fear.

also since you say you don't believe you have a soul then you deny what the Lord God says in the bible therefore you don't believe what God says therefore you are not a Christian

since you are not a Christian and say you are then you are a liar, and since you are a liar then what you have to say is irrelevant and worthless to anyone else.
and should they trust what you say then its a detriment to them.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
also since you say you don't believe you have a soul then you deny what the Lord God says in the bible therefore you don't believe what God says therefore you are not a Christian
i dont believe i have a soul because i became a living soul just like Scripture says, dp
so youd have to show me what the "lord" God says there wadr, bc looks to me like "life" and "soul" are the same root, life = soul in Scripture, near as i can tell anyway
since you are not a Christian and say you are then you are a liar, and since you are a liar then what you have to say is irrelevant and worthless to anyone else.
and should they trust what you say then its a detriment to them.
that is def a possibility imo, yes
guess your reply to the above will kinda determine there huh

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i dont believe i have a soul because i became a living soul just like Scripture says, dp
so youd have to show me what the "lord" God says there wadr, bc looks to me like "life" and "soul" are the same root, life = soul in Scripture, near as i can tell anyway

that is def a possibility imo, yes
guess your reply to the above will kinda determine there huh

Mat_10:28  And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

soul and body

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

soul and body
so then , "life and body" would be an interchangeable phrase there, apparently

and in Gahenna dp, not any "hell" ok, not like we understand it anyway, but i mean if you think that maybe somehow supercedes all the other evidence then bam go with that, but i mean notice that youre already relying on a scribe for your pov of this "hell" right

Strong's Greek: 5590. ψυχή (psuché) -- breath, the soul
i mean, you are a soul, right now, according to many, all the refs in Scripture; except for that one slightly ambiguous one, that those who seek immortality after death always want to Quote.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
so then , "life and body" would be an interchangeable phrase there, apparently

and in Gahenna dp, not any "hell" ok, not like we understand it anyway, but i mean if you think that maybe somehow supercedes all the other evidence then bam go with that, but i mean notice that youre already relying on a scribe for your pov of this "hell" right

Strong's Greek: 5590. ψυχή (psuché) -- breath, the soul
i mean, you are a soul, right now, according to many, all the refs in Scripture; except for that one slightly ambiguous one, that those who seek immortality after death always want to Quote.
still waiting for the first Quote of
He who seeks to save his soul will lose it
there, ha

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Psa 33:8, Let all the earth fear the LORD: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him.
ya, but that one can also be respect i think? I dont believe we should still be in actual fear of Yah after wisdom has begun. Tbh im not in love with that translation, period,
Psalm 33:8 Lexicon: Let all the earth fear the LORD; Let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him.
seems like the "fear" and the "awe" should maybe be reversed if anything?

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
can be i guess, ya, but i think i could pretty easily postulate a situation where there is trust, but still fear? Off the cuff i trust that a roller coaster wont kill me, but i might still fear getting on it maybe
Trust is more in the realm of people. I trust what God has said so I do not fear the end result.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Trust is more in the realm of people. I trust what God has said so I do not fear the end result.
well no offense but imo that amounts to a pious platitude, that i think i could shatter with one little tap; for instance im pretty sure if Yah Himself came down and told you to your face that you were never, ever, going up to heaven after you have died, you would not believe even Him.

Not saying that im any example either though, im prolly the biggest hypocrite in here lol

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Why do we fear admitting the truth, i wonder, when we are assured that we are forgiven anyway?
Why are the pimps and hoes beating us into the kingdom?
Why am i quickened there, and defeated here?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
What worries me, concerns me, is the growth in anxiousness when we have less to threaten us than before.

I think people find it harder to put fear and worry in an appropriate place and size so it runs away with itself. Without friends and help it is a train running faster and faster down the tracks.

One lady I listened to learnt to allow herself to be anxious, and then work through the fear step by step. It changed her life. As believers we have love and the cross, which can still any storm. We will one day go and meet Him, amen, Praise the Lord
one day? ok
love the fear comments though; hard to see that we have never been better off than right now, i guess