!!!What is Fear???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
well no offense but imo that amounts to a pious platitude, that i think i could shatter with one little tap; for instance im pretty sure if Yah Himself came down and told you to your face that you were never, ever, going up to heaven after you have died, you would not believe even Him.

Not saying that im any example either though, im prolly the biggest hypocrite in here lol
Never a truer word spoken in jest.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
i mean is it just me, or do all believers serially avoid the more important points?
(a softball set-up syntax if there ever was one i guess lol)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Perhaps earth is the sum total of reality.
its easy to fall into a kind of shorthand here i guess, so not sure im getting you there, but obviously you dont mean "the rest of the physical plane does not count." So maybe a rephrase there if you would, ty. But assuming you meant "universe" rather than earth, i would completely agree
Only beings can stand in awe.
well, but that doesnt seem to be addressing that the erets and the kosmou are both being refed in that v, and a look at the two roots def suggests that those in the erets be in "awe," while those in kosmou be in "fear?" Rather than the way it was xlated?

also fwiw fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so i dunno. Are angels "beings?"
doesnt appear that they pass the test for that imo

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
its easy to fall into a kind of shorthand here i guess, so not sure im getting you there, but obviously you dont mean "the rest of the physical plane does not count." So maybe a rephrase there if you would, ty. But assuming you meant "universe" rather than earth, i would completely agree
well, but that doesnt seem to be addressing that the erets and the kosmou are both being refed in that v, and a look at the two roots def suggests that those in the erets be in "awe," while those in kosmou be in "fear?" Rather than the way it was xlated?

also fwiw fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so i dunno. Are angels "beings?"
doesnt appear that they pass the test for that imo
Fools are more being than angels?

Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool. Isaiah 66:1. The universe does not sound that much bigger than the earth.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@bbyrd

Fear primarily comes from something you have no control over, specifically knowing that thing can cause you harm or is a potential threat to your existence in some way. This is how fear is defined for the world at large in relation to fearing God at least, knowing that such a being with unlimited power can and likely will smite them all at any time he pleases or on judgement day for instance for their sins. Even in the unbeliever, this is how fear works in relation to God and his judgement on sin, when it comes down to it. Its really not that hard to understand fear. Would you have a reason to fear a squirrel? Why should one fear the consequence of making a false 911 call on a black man if he or she knows he won't face prison time for it? I could go on, but I'm sure you catch my drift.

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so it appears anyway, i mean unless we arrive at a private interpretation of "beings?" But im thinking now that is mostly splitting hairs

not getting the point there i guess
C S Lewis claimed trees could stand. The Bible mentions something about having deep roots. Revelation claims even the islands and mountains cannot stand, because they both can be moved. It seems to me only beings have the will to stand in awe, even angels. Now that a third have turned against God, even they are still commanded to stand in awe, until they are released from doing so.

I doubt animals are beings, but some may be classified as intelligent. Do any show fear? Some may be smart enough not to get into a position where they have to run away and hide. Even humans are not that bright when it comes to wild animals that could do great harm to them. There may be a healthy fear. Or perhaps because of sin, humans may not be welcome in some areas of nature, they could probably stay out of.

Standing in awe, or fear seems like a conscious choice of beings who can reason and understand the ability to do so.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
C S Lewis claimed trees could stand. The Bible mentions something about having deep roots. Revelation claims even the islands and mountains cannot stand, because they both can be moved. It seems to me only beings have the will to stand in awe, even angels. Now that a third have turned against God, even they are still commanded to stand in awe, until they are released from doing so.

I doubt animals are beings, but some may be classified as intelligent. Do any show fear? Some may be smart enough not to get into a position where they have to run away and hide. Even humans are not that bright when it comes to wild animals that could do great harm to them. There may be a healthy fear. Or perhaps because of sin, humans may not be welcome in some areas of nature, they could probably stay out of.

Standing in awe, or fear seems like a conscious choice of beings who can reason and understand the ability to do so.
not sure how that addresses the point that the roots seem to have been almost deliberately reversed in English, where in the original those in the earth were Strong's Hebrew: 3372a. yare -- to fear which was xlated "fear" rather than "awe," and those in the world were Strong's Hebrew: 1481c. gur -- to dread which was xlated "awe" rather than "dread!"

but i have spent no time there really, it was just an initial impression; the terms "earth" and "world" are obv interrelated, and so are the two terms up there, which have imo unfortunately just been further confused by scribes with an agenda. So id wanna consult the Abarim or some other meta-etymology on the terms, ...

ירה | Abarim Publications Theological Dictionary (Old Testament Hebrew)
(ירא I)

Hair in the Bible - word study
("However, HAW admits that this word probably comes from ירא (yare'), fear, be afraid, revere. And about the identical word ירא (yare), means to ...") which i havent located in the page yet...

The amazing name Gur: meaning and etymology

Last edited: