What Is God's Definition Of Sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Your post is very vague with your "due dates". You sound like some kind of doctor who has diagnosed a womans pregnancy and has no clue when she is due.
For all you know she might be pregnant for ever. ?

You are the embryo who is in him and you have no clue when you will be born.

I have already been born and I know who I am and where I come from and where I am going.
Before Abraham was, I am.

The Father is in me and I am in Him. We are one in and through Jesus Christ.
He changes people from darkness to light in the twinkling of an eye.

The Lord Jesus Christ was and is and is to come for all eternity. No need to wait for the birth of one who has already been born. The only birth we are waiting for is yours.

I enjoyed your post. Nicely done.

Its my guess the post you were replying to was written by one of those gnostic heretics who've been posting here.
They deny the divinity of Christ and they deny his humanity which suffered for us upon the cross for our sins.
Humans cannot be saved by their own hand. Spiritually speaking we can't even see beyond the end of our noses.
WE MUST rely upon something else, something beyond our own powers. WE MUST rely upon Christ.

Instead these blind guides seem to think there is some sort of 'secret magic' or 'hard work' to be done to somehow elevate their bankrupt spirituality to a level which would be accepted by the Almighty. Denying always the words and will of God revealed in the Bible that man is not, nor ever shall be righteous by his own hand.

Their muddled words and phrases testify continually of the illogic of their philosophy and the futility of their efforts.
Their references to comic book style images are unrealistic and pathetic.

It is sad their hearts are so rigid they refuse to accept what God has revealed through the testimony of those who know Christ.

Instead they search in dusty dirty corners for some lost treasure they will never find.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
I enjoyed your post. Nicely done.

Its my guess the post you were replying to was written by one of those gnostic heretics who've been posting here.
They deny the divinity of Christ and they deny his humanity which suffered for us upon the cross for our sins.
Humans cannot be saved by their own hand. Spiritually speaking we can't even see beyond the end of our noses.
WE MUST rely upon something else, something beyond our own powers. WE MUST rely upon Christ.

Instead these blind guides seem to think there is some sort of 'secret magic' or 'hard work' to be done to somehow elevate their bankrupt spirituality to a level which would be accepted by the Almighty. Denying always the words and will of God revealed in the Bible that man is not, nor ever shall be righteous by his own hand.

Their muddled words and phrases testify continually of the illogic of their philosophy and the futility of their efforts.
Their references to comic book style images are unrealistic and pathetic.

It is sad their hearts are so rigid they refuse to accept what God has revealed through the testimony of those who know Christ.

Instead they search in dusty dirty corners for some lost treasure they will never find.

Harsh sounding words rjp, but valid nonetheless. The man or woman who is staunch in spirit wil read and take heed.

fivesense

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
1 Kings 8:46 There is no man that sinneth not.

2 Chronicles 6:36 There is no man which sinneth not.

Proverbs 20:9 Who can say, I have made my heart clean, I am pure from my sin.

Ecclesiastes 7:20 For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

1 John 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ahh, trying to play catch up... been away...

Sin...clearly, it is missing the mark.
The "mark" = focusing on the Lord and who you are - what you were created for and Who created you and
remembering how to get back to your Source or Home.
Doing all that --- while not forgetting the totality of who and where you came from - to forget that -
is sinning against yourself and your Creator.
Very much like setting your navigational system off by a milimeter, but landing very far away from your destination.

Course change is in order, then ahh - the mistake is cleared up. No more sin, no longer off course.

This "eternal damnation" for sinning is made up by people similar to Dante.
The same people that made up a jealous, wrathful God and made generations believe it.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI

The "mark" = focusing on the Lord and who you are - what you were created for and Who created you and
Doing all that --- while not forgetting the totality of who and where you came from - to forget that -
Very much like setting your navigational system off by a milimeter, but landing very far away from your destination.

Course change is in order, then ahh - the mistake is cleared up. No more sin, no longer off course.

The same people that made up a jealous, wrathful God and made generations believe it.

It is very good, very good to have you back. I have missed your strength and wisdom. Good comment, Miss H.

fivesense

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

Dante's epic poem was a work of fiction, taken too seriously by those of his time.
There are many today who reject those images and have substituted their own fiction for truth. Their images are no less ridiculous and illogical.
Such people rely upon their own understanding of things and steadfastly refuse to acknowledge the teachings of God's word.

All humans are sinners. It is more than a simple 'mistake'. It is violation of the Holy ordinances of Almighty God; rebellion against the Most High.

It cannot be undone simply by changing one's course. That is only part of the solution.

The course change means nothing unless the consequences of sin are dealt with, and that can only be accomplished by the blood of the lamb.

Otherwise the punishment and judgment for sin remain.
It is not enough to be 'nice'. It is not enough to live righteously.
God has said that such a path is foolishness, futile and rubbish in His eyes.

Only the blood of the lamb, His son Jesus, can remedy the sin in us and provide good fruit from our repentance.

There are many "blind guides" here.

We are ALL blind.
When the blind lead the blind, will they not all fall into the ditch?

That is why some of us rely upon the guidance of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
Jesus is the good shepard, the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIGHT.
Those of us who do follow Christ are assured by Him that He will guide us along the way (Ps 23), sometimes gladly and sometimes painfully.

No one comes to the Father except by Him.

The rest wander in the darkness, hoping they can find a way out of the ditch they are in.

You know the definition of a ditch don't you? It's a grave with the ends kicked out.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007

Hi Miss Hepburn, :)

Why do you see our Father being jealous and wrathful as being "made up?"

Exodus 34:14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

Nahum 1:2 God is jealous, and the LORD revengeth; the LORD revengeth, and is furious; the LORD will take vengeance on His adversaries, and He reserveth wrath for His enemies.

Reactions: JarBreaker

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
Hi Miss Hepburn, :)

Why do you see our Father being jealous and wrathful as being "made up?"

Exodus 34:14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

Nahum 1:2 God is jealous, and the LORD revengeth; the LORD revengeth, and is furious; the LORD will take vengeance on His adversaries, and He reserveth wrath for His enemies.

I don't mean to answer this for Miss H. She has much to contribute herself. But I am convinced that the following truimphs over justice.

Col 1:20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, [I say], whether [they be] things in earth, or things in heaven.
2C 5:19 how that God was in Christ-a world reconciling to Himself, not reckoning to them their trespasses; and having put in us the word of the reconciliation,

He is keeping no record of sin, the blood of the Holiest of all sacrifices being sufficient for the whole world and then some. His wrath is reserved for Israel and those that reject His people during the tribulation period.

Babylon is going down, and the apostate Jews are going with her. There will be plenty of wrath and jealousy poured out at that time, enough to frighten the entire universe. It will be a serious display of terror.

fivesense

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I don't mean to answer this for Miss H. She has much to contribute herself. But I am convinced that the following truimphs over justice.

Col 1:20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, [I say], whether [they be] things in earth, or things in heaven.
2C 5:19 how that God was in Christ-a world reconciling to Himself, not reckoning to them their trespasses; and having put in us the word of the reconciliation,

He is keeping no record of sin, the blood of the Holiest of all sacrifices being sufficient for the whole world and then some. His wrath is reserved for Israel and those that reject His people during the tribulation period.

Babylon is going down, and the apostate Jews are going with her. There will be plenty of wrath and jealousy poured out at that time, enough to frighten the entire universe. It will be a serious display of terror.

fivesense

Your premise is false.
Although God's gift of justification is offered to the whole world, the world rejects it.
The gift of God, indeed ANY gift, must be accepted for it to be of value to the one receiving it.

I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me may not abide in the darkness. And if any man hear my sayings, and keep them not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my sayings, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I spake, the same shall judge him in the last day.
Joh 12:46

The light has indeed come into the world, but the world does not accept it. Therefore its' sin remains unto judgment.
And the light shineth in the darkness; and the darkness apprehended it not.

Joh 1:5

God keeps no record of sin where the blood of Christ has been applied.
Conversly, where it has not been applied, sin remains and judgment awaits.
See Exodus chapter 12.

Many today call for God's wrath against Israel, but I say to you that those days are over.
The days of grace have arrived for Israel. If it were not so, how would they have survived so many grevious assaults against them?
Salvation for all of Israel is near for their King shall soon come, destroying their enemies and wiping away their tears.
The sun shall soon rise upon that day and when it does the redemption of the saints will become part of human history.
Praise God.

Do not say nor even write that Israel shall be condemned, for they SHALL NOT.
Beware lest you find yourself opposing God Himself in this.
Those who bless Israel shall themselves be blessed and those who wish for God to damn Israel shall themselves be shamed, cursed and damned.

Beware Balaam's curse. (NUM 24:9)

Reactions: JarBreaker

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Your premise is false.
Although God's gift of justification is offered to the whole world, the world rejects it.
The gift of God, indeed ANY gift, must be accepted for it to be of value to the one receiving it.

I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me may not abide in the darkness. And if any man hear my sayings, and keep them not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my sayings, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I spake, the same shall judge him in the last day.
Joh 12:46

The light has indeed come into the world, but the world does not accept it. Therefore its' sin remains unto judgment.
And the light shineth in the darkness; and the darkness apprehended it not.

Joh 1:5

God keeps no record of sin where the blood of Christ has been applied.
Conversly, where it has not been applied, sin remains and judgment awaits.
See Exodus chapter 12.

Many today call for God's wrath against Israel, but I say to you that those days are over.
The days of grace have arrived for Israel. If it were not so, how would they have survived so many grevious assaults against them?
Salvation for all of Israel is near for their King shall soon come, destroying their enemies and wiping away their tears.
The sun shall soon rise upon that day and when it does the redemption of the saints will become part of human history.
Praise God.

Those who bless Israel shall themselves be blessed and those who wish for God to damn Israel shall themselves be shamed, cursed and damned.

For the Scriptures say, " `As surely as I live,' says the Lord, `every knee will bow to me and every tongue will confess allegiance to God.' " Romans 14:11

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
Your premise is false.
God keeps no record of sin where the blood of Christ has been applied. Conversly, where it has not been applied, sin remains and judgment awaits.
See Exodus chapter 12.
Praise God.

2C 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
A terribly false premise to use.

Ro 9:2 That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart.
Ro 9:3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:
Ro 9:4 Who are Israelites; to whom [pertaineth] the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service [of God], and the promises
Paul was in a sweat about nothing, I guess.

Hb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
Hb 10:28 He that despised Moses'law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
Hb 10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
Hb 10:30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance [belongeth] unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
I don't suppose that "judgment, sorer punishment, fiery indignation, vengence, or recompense qualify as "wrath".
The title of the Epistle is "Hebrews", written to the dispersed disciples of the Lord, and is not written to the nations. It is recorded for us, not written to us. It is error to assume otherwise, and reasoning apart from correctly dividing this Hebrew letter and applying it to the Circumcision is a "false premise".

I might add that sending forth imprecations against the elect of God has a reward.

fivesense

JarBreaker

Apr 6, 2010
you seem just as sure of yourself as skyangel did

you get a golden ticket in yer chocolate bar or is there some other way of knowing ?

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
Your post is very vague with your "due dates". You sound like some kind of doctor who has diagnosed a womans pregnancy and has no clue when she is due.
For all you know she might be pregnant for ever. ?

You are the embryo who is in him and you have no clue when you will be born.

I have already been born and I know who I am and where I come from and where I am going.
Before Abraham was, I am.
The Father is in me and I am in Him. We are one in and through Jesus Christ.
He changes people from darkness to light in the twinkling of an eye.

The Lord Jesus Christ was and is and is to come for all eternity. No need to wait for the birth of one who has already been born. The only birth we are waiting for is yours.

Skyangel...I'm not going to be ugly to you for that last comment but,
I have a question for you.

Can you walk through a wall without using the door and sit down
and say give me something to eat like Jesus did? If you can...I would
like to invite you over for some coffee and I will listen to everything you
have to say.

My point is...you are just as limited as I am in this state. Until Jesus
comes a second time...we are still going to suffer death, sickness, and
disapointment because God has planned it this way. Rom. 8:20-23.

20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but
because of Him who subjected it, in hope
21 that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery
to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of
God.
22 For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers
the pains of childbirth together until now.

23 And not only this, but also we ourselves, having the first
fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves,
waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption
of our body.

God has subjected us to vanity for a purpose and that was to give
us the ability to overcome the vanity by learning to submit to His
Spirit. As we learn obedience by the things we "SUFFER", it qualifies
us to inherit the "First Resurrection", where we can truly walk through
a wall and sit down to eat like Jesus did. We will have an immortal
body not an imputed immortal body that has no limitations in this
realm.

At the moment...I am waiting for that adoption like Paul wrote to the
Romans about. Sounds like Paul was waiting for this same thing.
Paul wasn't saying He had everything He could ever want...on the
contrary, he said completely just the opposite. If this is all it is in this
life, I am most miserable.

Last question...what age was Paul in? I think he was in our age.

Logabe

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus defined the perimeters of what sin is. For example, he told his apostles that "these things I command you, that you love one another."(John 15:17) On his final night with his disciples, he spoke of love and loving nearly thirty times, three times repeating the command that they “love one another.” (John 13:34; 15:12, 17) He told them: “No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his soul in behalf of his friends. You are my friends if you do what I am commanding you.”(John 15:13, 14)

Have the churches followed this directive ? Both world wars were started in Christendom, whereby the clergy on both sides fueled the conflagration by preaching their the cream of their youth into the trenches, with WWI (1914-18) taking an estimated 21 million lives and WWII (1939-45) some 55 million. Christendom's roots does not descend from Jesus, but rather from paganism. It was in 325 C.E. that the unbaptized Roman emperor Constantine founded “Christendom.” Its religious system twisted Christian doctrine and combined it with many of the Satan-inspired mysteries of ancient Babylon, which the Bible shows to be the mother city of all false religion, and is called in Revelation "Babylon the Great"(Rev 14:8) and of which any who wish to please God must "get out of her."(Rev 18:4)

Outwardly, the religion of Christendom may appear very beautiful, with its magnificent cathedrals, basilicas and churches, pompous processions and impressive music. But what is Christendom’s record? Over the centuries Christendom has plundered, colonized and suppressed defenseless peoples. History points an accusing finger at blood-spilling Crusades in the Near East, the cruel Inquisition in many Catholic-dominated lands, the Opium War against China, and also the cruel wars and religious strife of this twentieth century. World War I and World War II both started in Christendom, with Catholics and Protestants slaughtering one another indiscriminately. The command for Christians to "love one another" has been cast aside by the churches of Christendom, with the apostle Paul saying that these ones are "having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power."(2 Tim 3:5)

Reactions: truthquest

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Jesus defined the perimeters of what sin is. For example, he told his apostles that "these things I command you, that you love one another."(John 15:17) On his final night with his disciples, he spoke of love and loving nearly thirty times, three times repeating the command that they “love one another.” (John 13:34; 15:12, 17) He told them: “No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his soul in behalf of his friends. You are my friends if you do what I am commanding you.”(John 15:13, 14)

Have the churches followed this directive ? Both world wars were started in Christendom, whereby the clergy on both sides fueled the conflagration by preaching their the cream of their youth into the trenches, with WWI (1914-18) taking an estimated 21 million lives and WWII (1939-45) some 55 million. Christendom's roots does not descend from Jesus, but rather from paganism. It was in 325 C.E. that the unbaptized Roman emperor Constantine founded “Christendom.” Its religious system twisted Christian doctrine and combined it with many of the Satan-inspired mysteries of ancient Babylon, which the Bible shows to be the mother city of all false religion, and is called in Revelation "Babylon the Great"(Rev 14:8) and of which any who wish to please God must "get out of her."(Rev 18:4)

Outwardly, the religion of Christendom may appear very beautiful, with its magnificent cathedrals, basilicas and churches, pompous processions and impressive music. But what is Christendom’s record? Over the centuries Christendom has plundered, colonized and suppressed defenseless peoples. History points an accusing finger at blood-spilling Crusades in the Near East, the cruel Inquisition in many Catholic-dominated lands, the Opium War against China, and also the cruel wars and religious strife of this twentieth century. World War I and World War II both started in Christendom, with Catholics and Protestants slaughtering one another indiscriminately. The command for Christians to "love one another" has been cast aside by the churches of Christendom, with the apostle Paul saying that these ones are "having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power."(2 Tim 3:5)

When you assault the members of the body of Christ you really need to get your facts straight. The wars inspired, directed and conducted by atheist governments in the twentieth century alone amount to over one hundred million dead. This is far more than the TOTAL of all religious wars in the history of mankind combined.

World War I began as the result of tension between European political powers and those of the east; the Ottoman Empire, Russian Empire, etc.

The issues were political and economic, NOT religious.

World War II begin in CHINA in 1931 with the Japanese invasion of Manchuria. The conflict there was motivated by the godless Japanese Imperial Empire in opposition to the Communist and Nationalist Chinese, none of which were Christian. In Europe the blood began to flow when the atheist NAZIs began to exercise political and military aggression against their neighbors. One of the parties to the conflict was the Soviet Union; also an atheist government.

The Opium wars in China were caused by British corporations, specifically the British East India Trading company and one other which eludes my memory. It was wholly inspired by corporate profit and greed and had nothing at all to do with religion. The Brits were peddling drugs/opium to the Chinese and the Chinese government attempted to stop it by force. There was nothing high minded or principled about it.

In actual fact, a group of Christians in the city of Shanghai created safe houses and small communities outside the city where those who were attempting to flee the carnage and abuse could find comfort and aid. These selfless people risked their lives and often lost all their possessions in the effort to comfort and support the innoncents who were caught up in war and the godless profiteers. During WWII in the city of Nanking, the godless Japanese Army raped and brutalized over 350,000 men women and children in a period of seven weeks from the end of 1937 to the beginning of 1938. Christians there created a Safe Zone where noncombantants and retreating soldiers could try to get food and rest.

If you want a short list of the atrocities perpetuated upon humanity by atheists, go to the rolls of the dead in Nanking, Shanghai, Buchenwald, Treblinka, Auschwitz, the Stalinist gulags and the Japanese Mitsubishi labor camps.

You are at liberty to hate Christianity as much as you like, but you are not entitled to use lies and baseless accusations to sell your dogma to others.

It is an historical fact that atheist religious bigots across the board seek to begin an argument with lies, to sustain it with indefensible fallacies and to completely ignore the conclusions of logic which are in opposition to their hate mongering.

In the end, they like their NAZI and communist bretheren, unable to convince by lies resort to restrictions of liberty by force upon those whose gospel they despise.

The atheist agenda has never been truth, freedom or the rights of men. Instead their purpose has been to assume power over the defenseless, to wage unremitting murderous war upon their neighbors and to practice unrestrained atrocities against any and every person they choose.

That is the sad and disgusting history of organized atheist governments and those who deny the divine spark in humanity. That is the truth which none who espouse that heinous philosophy will ever dare to admit or embrace.

Overcome with their own hatred of all that is right and pure, they point their ugly twisted arguments at those who have done no wrong and are guilty of nothing more than a deep desire to love and serve Christ and their fellow man.

Therein lies the true agenda and dogma of atheism in the modern era.
Suppress Christianity in all its forms and deny the truth where ever it raises its head.

If the reader seeks a true and accurate definition of sin, it is atheism.

Grat

Feb 18, 2008
Sydney, Australia
When you assault the members of the body of Christ you really need to get your facts straight. The wars inspired, directed and conducted by atheist governments in the twentieth century alone amount to over one hundred million dead. This is far more than the TOTAL of all religious wars in the history of mankind combined. ....
Remind me not to play checkers with you. B)
Well said.

Congrat's to all. As usual you've all managed to put up good arguments for your various oppinions.
Mine?
There is no room left any more for sin, judgement and wrath, it was all used up on JC. Now I stand faultless, perfect and whole before my Father because he sees me through Christ. There is now nothing I can do to make me “better” or more “sinless”.

When I look at me with my own eyes, I don’t measure up to that. I see my pride, selfishness, impurity and shame. That just makes me cling all the harder to Jesus. I’m a beloved child of the Most High God. He takes a personal interest in me, always wanting the best for me, always scheming how I can come into more and more fullness in Christ. My job? Love Him outrageously.

My sin? Sorry, already dies for. My shame? Sorry, already died for. My condemnation? Sorry, already died for. My future? Safe in my Daddy’s arms.

Grat

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
When you assault the members of the body of Christ you really need to get your facts straight. The wars inspired, directed and conducted by atheist governments in the twentieth century alone amount to over one hundred million dead . This is far more than the TOTAL of all religious wars in the history of mankind combined.

What is your source for the "one hundred million dead"?

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
Remind me not to play checkers with you. B)
Well said.

Congrat's to all. As usual you've all managed to put up good arguments for your various oppinions.
Mine?
There is no room left any more for sin, judgement and wrath, it was all used up on JC. Now I stand faultless, perfect and whole before my Father because he sees me through Christ. There is now nothing I can do to make me “better” or more “sinless”.

When I look at me with my own eyes, I don’t measure up to that. I see my pride, selfishness, impurity and shame. That just makes me cling all the harder to Jesus. I’m a beloved child of the Most High God. He takes a personal interest in me, always wanting the best for me, always scheming how I can come into more and more fullness in Christ. My job? Love Him outrageously.

My sin? Sorry, already dies for. My shame? Sorry, already died for. My condemnation? Sorry, already died for. My future? Safe in my Daddy’s arms.

Grat

You terribly wonderful brother.
fivesense