What is Holy Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Why did Jesus instruct people to ask for the Holy Spirit?
Praying to receive Christ is the same thing, but asking for His guidance in submission to Him is the biblical way to receive Him. The book of Acts refers to the Spirit falling on disciples on Pentacost and later upon disciples of John the Baptist after receiving the gospel, but the gospel assumes prayer to receive Him.
In principle the Holy Spirit indwelt the church from Pentecost onwards. Paul confirms in Romans 8.9, 'if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His'. When the believer was born again, Christ did not come physically, but by his Spirit.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think being born of water is a lot deeper and spiritual.
I'm not exactly sure what it means, but we also know that Jesus is the living water.

Jer 2:13 For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.

what does it mean to be born of water and of spirit?
Is it that those who believe in God are the seed of God?
And we are born of this belief?

That is not to say we have "faith" . Faith is a gift of the Spirit of God.
Right?

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

So what I hear is, the very believing in God is the water by which we come to him, and then faith is given as a gift of the Holy Spirit.

Act 1:5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

I am of the opinion that it is no so much what John DID, but what he Said.

Mat 3:1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,
Mat 3:2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Mat 3:3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
Mat 3:4 And the same John had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey.
Mat 3:5 Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan,
Mat 3:6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

I saw a picture in my mind of all these little streams coming to the river...
being drawn to the river...
searching...

Jer 31:12 Therefore they shall come and sing in the height of Zion, and shall flow together to the goodness of the LORD, for wheat, and for wine, and for oil, and for the young of the flock and of the herd: and their soul shall be as a watered garden; and they shall not sorrow any more at all.
Joe 3:18 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the mountains shall drop down new wine, and the hills shall flow with milk, and all the rivers of Judah shall flow with waters, and a fountain shall come forth of the house of the LORD, and shall water the valley of Shittim.

Jhn 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

I understand John came baptising with water. However, the people first had to believe in order to come to John in the first place.

The Saducees and Pharisees that did not believe in God were blasted. They were trying to "creep in unawares"

Mat 3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
Mat 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
Mat 3:9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
Mat 3:10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
Mat 3:12 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

Random thought..

Mat 3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
Gen 3:11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?

Just thinking..
Hugs
@Ziggy There is also in Ephesians 5: 'the washing of water by the Word'.

Reactions: Ziggy

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
I think being born of water is a lot deeper and spiritual.
I'm not exactly sure what it means, but we also know that Jesus is the living water.

Jer 2:13 For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.

what does it mean to be born of water and of spirit?
Is it that those who believe in God are the seed of God?
And we are born of this belief?

That is not to say we have "faith" . Faith is a gift of the Spirit of God.
Right?

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

So what I hear is, the very believing in God is the water by which we come to him, and then faith is given as a gift of the Holy Spirit.

Act 1:5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

I am of the opinion that it is no so much what John DID, but what he Said.

Mat 3:1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,
Mat 3:2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Mat 3:3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
Mat 3:4 And the same John had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey.
Mat 3:5 Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan,
Mat 3:6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

I saw a picture in my mind of all these little streams coming to the river...
being drawn to the river...
searching...

Jer 31:12 Therefore they shall come and sing in the height of Zion, and shall flow together to the goodness of the LORD, for wheat, and for wine, and for oil, and for the young of the flock and of the herd: and their soul shall be as a watered garden; and they shall not sorrow any more at all.
Joe 3:18 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the mountains shall drop down new wine, and the hills shall flow with milk, and all the rivers of Judah shall flow with waters, and a fountain shall come forth of the house of the LORD, and shall water the valley of Shittim.

Jhn 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

I understand John came baptising with water. However, the people first had to believe in order to come to John in the first place.

The Saducees and Pharisees that did not believe in God were blasted. They were trying to "creep in unawares"

Mat 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
Mat 3:9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
Mat 3:10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
Mat 3:12 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

Random thought..

Gen 3:11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?

Just thinking..
Hugs
Thinking is not a bad thing, but where scripture is concerned we should have Christ's thinking, I am sure you agree.
Perhaps finding out why persons are born again, might be helpful. what are they born for, or born as? Why?
Would you like to start there, and see where it takes us?

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thinking is not a bad thing, but where scripture is concerned we should have Christ's thinking, I am sure you agree.
Perhaps finding out why persons are born again, might be helpful. what are they born for, or born as? Why?
Would you like to start there, and see where it takes us?
The reason I say thinking, is because: 1. I am not a teacher but a student of the word, and 2. I don't like sounding condenscending.
Phl 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Phl 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
Phl 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
Phl 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Jhn 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Jhn 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Jhn 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Jhn 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

What are they born for?
Reconciliation to God.
Or born as?
Sons of God.
Why?
See above.

Your turn
:D
Hugs

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In principle the Holy Spirit indwelt the church from Pentecost onwards. Paul confirms in Romans 8.9, 'if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His'. When the believer was born again, Christ did not come physically, but by his Spirit.
This is Roman doctrine. There are no second generation Christians, but we must be born again. This is by God's will, not ours, but submission to the Lord is never optional. If asking weren't a requirement, the entire world would be Christian.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
This is Roman doctrine. There are no second generation Christians, but we must be born again. This is by God's will, not ours, but submission to the Lord is never optional. If asking weren't a requirement, the entire world would be Christian.
Oh I agree it's all individual; we must be born again (John 3).

Reactions: michaelvpardo

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh I agree it's all individual; we must be born again (John 3).
Good. So what does this teaching mean:
Luke 11:13
If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”
Was this spoken to only His Jewish contemporaries?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 11:20 But if I by the finger of God cast out demons, then is the kingdom of God come upon you.
Matthew 12:28 But if I by the Spirit of God cast out demons, then is the kingdom of God come upon you.

The finger of God is a metaphor speaking of authority.
The Spirit is the power Jesus uses to cast out- THE Spirit of God

You think Jesus is saying the finger of God is God, and then try to insult my intelligence.
I don't think any child would agree with you, unless they were just going along with what they were told.
Those who reason however, would say something like, '...but my finger is not me! How could God's finger be him? Wouldn't God's finger belong to him, and be a part of him?'

Metaphors a re a real part of language! Gods finger is part of HIm. I never implied different.

I just had to put that here for another look.
He meant exactly what he said, but I don't understand euphemisms.
LOL.

...and, you never claimed God's finger is all of God? You didn't?

No I never claimed it.
So God is the holy spirit, and the holy spirit is God, but not all of God. o_O:confused:

You get googlyed eyed because of your indoctrination. The Holy spirit is god the spirit. I tend to use Divine to make the distinction between essence and person. The Spirit is equally a "person" as the Father, equally divine as the Father, but is not the Father. And there is no rational answer to teh crazy statement He is not all of God. He is god, but not teh Father or son. to see Him is to see the Father and son and vice versa etc. But they are separate persons though equal in divinity.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We do need to be filled with the Spirit as well as in principle being indwelt.
John 3:34
New King James Version

34 For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God does not give the Spirit by measure.

If we receive Him we have the fullness of Him, but submission remains choice and tends to be by degree or there would be no conflict between flesh and Spirit.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am wondering though... did you leave the Catholic church, in search of another place to worship, or were you thinking it doesn't matter where you worship?

I did not leave Catholicism due to disagreement with their beliefs or practices. I tried to be a faithful Catholic until high school graduation.

In early 1961 my mother left my step-father and moved to San Jose CA, 50 miles away, for a job, ultimately divorcing him. The last few months of my senior year I remained in the old town where I had been a happy Catholic and an active altar boy. I graduated in June of 1961. Most of my friends were not in the secular high school but in the church.

When I graduated, I moved to my mother's new home and tried a local Catholic church in San Jose, but for me it was a hollow shell. My fault perhaps... but more likely God already redirecting me, even though I did not know it at the time.

From 1961 until 1976 I was at best a backslid Catholic or at worst a drifting person without God [So I was thinking.] I spent 3 years on active duty in the U.S. Army including a tour in Viet Nam and I obtained my Bachelor's Degree from San Jose State College.

In 1971 while attending my first year of school in Mexico City I came home for the Christmas break and met my future wife. That was the end of my formal schooling. I went to work.

In those years after high school but prior to marriage, I attended a few services with my Pentecostal father and underwent a Mormon Bible study through my older brother, who had married a Mormon. During my year in Viet Nam I had attended one Catholic mass.

In 1976, God drew me and my wife to Him. She was also still a nominal Catholic. Neither of us ever returned to Catholicism even though we were married by a Catholic priest and had our first child baptized in that church.

As you can see from the posts here, hardly would anyone here consider a kingdom hall of Jehovah's Witnesses to be a "good Christian place" to worship.
I have visited many different protestant services but I have never even been inside a JW kingdom hall. I learned a little from their door knockers, my experience was not good when compared to the young Mormons who often came to visit and discuss the things of God. Those young Mormon missionaries would listen to me and come as back often as they could, whereas the JWs would rarely return after one visit.
Obviously, where we worship does matter.
It may matter to other people, but likely it would matter more to us.

But... to God would it not matter more, 'How we worship', than where? Of course, where we worship often strongly influences how we worship. Who should we be wanting to please, ourselves or God?

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
The reason I say thinking, is because: 1. I am not a teacher but a student of the word, and 2. I don't like sounding condenscending.
Phl 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
Phl 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
Phl 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Jhn 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Jhn 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Jhn 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Jhn 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

What are they born for?
Reconciliation to God.
I am trying to connect a scripture from the ones you provided, here, but I'm not seeing one.
Which scripture(s) are you using to say persons are born again for reconciliation to God?

Or born as?
Sons of God.
Yes. Although you didn't quote any scripture(s).
Since this is the Bible Study forum, scriptures would be appreciated.

Why?
See above.
I'm not seeing the connection. Can you help?
I don't see how Philippians 2 is relevant. Is there a reason you quoted it here?

Your turn
:D
Hugs
As soon as I get the above clarified. :)
Thanks

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Perhaps finding out why persons are born again, might be helpful. what are they born for,

or born as?
Jhn 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Rom 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
1Jo 3:1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
1Jo 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

Why?
All of the above

Hugs

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
I did not leave Catholicism due to disagreement with their beliefs or practices. I tried to be a faithful Catholic until high school graduation.

In early 1961 my mother left my step-father and moved to San Jose CA, 50 miles away, for a job, ultimately divorcing him. The last few months of my senior year I remained in the old town where I had been a happy Catholic and an active altar boy. I graduated in June of 1961. Most of my friends were not in the secular high school but in the church.

When I graduated, I moved to my mother's new home and tried a local Catholic church in San Jose, but for me it was a hollow shell. My fault perhaps... but more likely God already redirecting me, even though I did not know it at the time.

From 1961 until 1976 I was at best a backslid Catholic or at worst a drifting person without God [So I was thinking.] I spent 3 years on active duty in the U.S. Army including a tour in Viet Nam and I obtained my Bachelor's Degree from San Jose State College.

In 1971 while attending my first year of school in Mexico City I came home for the Christmas break and met my future wife. That was the end of my formal schooling. I went to work.

In those years after high school but prior to marriage, I attended a few services with my Pentecostal father and underwent a Mormon Bible study through my older brother, who had married a Mormon. During my year in Viet Nam I had attended one Catholic mass.

In 1976, God drew me and my wife to Him. She was also still a nominal Catholic. Neither of us ever returned to Catholicism even though we were married by a Catholic priest and had our first child baptized in that church.
So you left because... ? I'm not sure I saw the answer.
If it's something you want to keep private, that's okay.

I have visited many different protestant services but I have never even been inside a JW kingdom hall. I learned a little from their door knockers, my experience was not good when compared to the young Mormons who often came to visit and discuss the things of God. Those young Mormon missionaries would listen to me and come as back often as they could, whereas the JWs would rarely return after one visit.

I cannot speak for why those Jehovah's Witnesses did not return, but I know that our ministry is patterned after Jesus' and based on his instructions.
So we focus on those things - teaching people and making disciples of those who show an interest in learning what the Bible teaches. Matthew 28:19, 20; Matthew 10:11-14
The Mormons focus is different, so they visit for another purpose.

It may matter to other people, but likely it would matter more to us.

But... to God would it not matter more, 'How we worship', than where? Of course, where we worship often strongly influences how we worship. Who should we be wanting to please, ourselves or God?
Jesus did say, "a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.” John 4:23, 24
So yes, he did say how we worship is important.

Where we worship not only strongly influences how we worship, but greatly affects it, as your experience demonstrated.

For example, if you are a Seventieth Day Adventist, how you worship God, must involve keeping the Sabbath, tithing, and other things.
This is not the same with others. Mormons do keep the Sabbath, but to them, how you worship God, must be based on your recognition and acceptance of the teachings of the Book of Mormon.
The list can be quite long, so I'll just mention finally, if you are a Jehovah's Witness, how you worship God, must involve obeying Jesus' command to preach the good news of the kingdom; keeping separate from the world, which involve being neutral where politics and worldly conflicts are involved - this includes not getting involved in the nation's wars... and many other things.

So where we worship is of interest to Jesus, because if we are associated with those who are enemies of God, we share in their sins. Revelation 18:4, 5

By obeying God, we are pleasing him.
Seeking to please ourselves is to do what we want.

I understand Mormons do not believe the Trinity.
How do you feel about that?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The things which I have described in that assembly are not all. Many others occurred, and at least two of them, which I won't post here, were much worse than all of the others. These things were piling up but also, we were growing in the Lord and beginning to hear Him more clearly. My wife had heard but she waited on me. When I also heard, we packed up and left.

I cannot speak for why those Jehovah's Witnesses did not return, but I know that our ministry is patterned after Jesus' and based on his instructions.
So we focus on those things - teaching people and making disciples of those who show an interest in learning what the Bible teaches. Matthew 28:19, 20; Matthew 10:11-14

My purpose in opening the door to either group was not to convert anyone... at least not primarily. I truly enjoyed talking about God and the things of God with like-minded people. There are not many people who want to do that with me. But then... when a person or group in my home pressed too hard simply to assimilate me, I would lose interest quickly and as politely as possible bring the 'discussion' to an end. The Mormons rarely had that problem because they were younger, less experienced and usually less knowledgeable in the things of God. They were less likely to have already had grown weary in well doing. I guess

Paul wrote about that because even 2,000 years ago people would get that way. People are still people.
Jesus did say, "a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.” John 4:23, 24

Where we worship not only strongly influences how we worship, but greatly affects it, as your experience demonstrated.

For example, if you are a Seventieth Day Adventist, how you worship God, must involve keeping the Sabbath, tithing, and other things.
This is not the same with others. Mormons do keep the Sabbath, but to them, how you worship God, must be based on your recognition and acceptance of the teachings of the Book of Mormon.
The list can be quite long, so I'll just mention finally, if you are a Jehovah's Witness, how you worship God, must involve obeying Jesus' command to preach the good news of the kingdom; keeping separate from the world, which involve being neutral where politics and worldly conflicts are involved - this includes not getting involved in the nation's wars... and many other things.

So where we worship is of interest to Jesus, because if we are associated with those who are enemies of God, we share in their sins. Revelation 18:4, 5

I am not a Trinitarian.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Speaking as a “Mormon”—-

My purpose is life is a disciple of Christ. I show my love & devotion to Him. That’s what a person a makes an Christian. He is my Savior, no one else.

Denominations are a important, but I’m not going to deny anyone’s love of God because of those lines. We are saved by Him, not our ability to ace a theology test.

As to the Trinity: the Father, Son, and Spirit are 3 persons in 1 God. They are 1 through unity of heart / will / glory/ goodness/ etc. But not through a shared substance as declared in the Creeds.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If God is everywhere...
Why are all the wicked not dead?
Why did God have to come down to investigate Sodom and Gomorrah?
Why did God have to come down to dwell among his people Israel?

God is light and there is no darkness in Him. 1 John 1:5-6. He can see into the hearts of every man, but He will not dwell in darkness.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This question is open to everyone.
Please explain
1) how did Jesus used the holy spirit to cast out demons.
  • Matthew 12:28 But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.
2) how did Jesus pour out the holy spirit on his disciples.
  • Acts 2:33 Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing.
@Ronald David Bruno I would like to hear you explain please. Thanks.

Hello
1st. Jesus didn't need to use the Holy Spirit for Jesus is God also just as the Spirit is God.
It is by the command of the name and authority of Jesus that demons recognized and feared him.
We have this same power and authority,
John 5:30, it is all about doing and being in the Father's will.

John 20:22
And when he had said this,he breathed on them and saith unto them, RECEIVE YE THE HOLY GHOST:

The Holy Ghost comes to help us use our authority, to stay in the Father's will, imitate Jesus to a dying word,make us learn and remember God's word, and give us Power!