What is Holy Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
This question is open to everyone.
Please explain
1) how did Jesus used the holy spirit to cast out demons.
  • Matthew 12:28 But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.
2) how did Jesus pour out the holy spirit on his disciples.
  • Acts 2:33 Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing.
@Ronald David Bruno I would like to hear you explain please. Thanks.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please explain
  • Matthew 12:28 But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.
  • Acts 2:33 Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing.

Great question John, in a nutshell it is God's force or power. A better understanding can come from knowing the words it was translated from, and how they are used. Ruach and Pneuma translated force, blast, breath, breeze, spirit, tempest, and wind. Interestingly all people are kept alive by the breath of life, one usage of the holy spirit, the Bible tells us that when that spirit goes out, we die. His spirit departs, and he returns to the earth. In that very day, his thoughts perish World English Bible. Most versions use breath instead of spirit in that passage.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please explain

The Holy Spirit is God, a person.
You are asking the wrong question as if Jesus uses a force or we use a force as if it was a spigot of power.
The Holy Spirit is poured out (figuratively speaking like water is poured out) when we are baptized by the Holy Spirit. It's not just power, it is a relationship. Our spirit is transformed, born again when this happens and so now our spirit can commune with God. He lives in us. As the Holy Spirit descended upon Jesus when He was baptized, He is poured out on us.
The Holy Spirit loves us, He teaches us, guides, counsels, leads, gives truth, searches all truth (which means He is omniscient), is omnipresent (since billions are comforted by Him) and omnipotent, He bears witness to Christ, glorifies Christ, is wise, gives us gifts, makes promises, fellowships with us, sanctifies us, justifies us, convicts us of sin, and edifies us. I'm sure I left many things out.
Jesis was filled with the Holy Spirit since birth. Only at His baptism, for our benefit to show us as an example how we will also experience the same, did they witness the Holy Spirit descend upon Him as a dove.
How would you pour out your love, knowledge, wisdom and guidance to your child? Let's look at it a different way. If you were an unloved, disobedient and unwise orphan and one day you were adopted and everything changed and this new Father loved you, taught you, provided for you and all the above list of things I mentioned. He changed your heart, took away the fears, anger and hatred. He poured out himself on you. Now you were his son forever.
Our Father gives us His Spirit

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just sharing my view:

The Holy Spirit - is the Holy Spirit of God.
The Holy Spirit - is sent by Jesus Christ to a believer
The Holy Spirit - is a teacher, comforter, spirit of truth
The Holy Spirit of God - causes fruit (Galatians 5) abiding in Christ

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another verse says:

Luk 11:20 But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you.

Finger of God:
Exo 31:18 And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

Exo 8:18 And the magicians did so with their enchantments to bring forth lice, but they could not: so there were lice upon man, and upon beast.
Exo 8:19 Then the magicians said unto Pharaoh, This is the finger of God: and Pharaoh's heart was hardened, and he hearkened not unto them; as the LORD had said.

Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Psa 8:3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, H676 the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;

Jhn 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

How did Jesus use the finger of God to cast out demons?
Perhaps Jesus IS the finger of God and his works were done through him.
And if we too have this "power" to cast out demons, then perhaps with God's Spirit within us, we too become his fingers and do the works he sends us to do.

There was a man named Simon who thought he could buy this power, he wanted to have the hands (fingers) of the Lord:

Act 8:18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
Act 8:19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.
Act 8:20 But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
Act 8:21 Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.
Act 8:22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.

What is the gift of God?
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

The answer is FAITH.

Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Jesus cast out devils by faith and the power of God.

Just sharing my thoughts..
hugs

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
The Holy Spirit is God, a person.
I'm really happy you could respond Ronald.
Your first statement prompts other questions though. I hope you don't mind. It's not often I get to hear a Trinitarian explain these scriptures.

Can you please explain how the holy spirit is God when Jesus received it from God, and poured it out on his disciples?

You are asking the wrong question as if Jesus uses a force or we use a force as if it was a spigot of power.
I don't believe it is a "spigot of power"... at least I should try to understand what you mean by that, but I view the holy spirit the way Jesus described at Luke 11:20
Why would Jesus compare holy spirit to God's finger, if it was not the equivalent?
Jesus was the greatest at teaching by use of illustration, and making the point clear.

God used his holy spirit at creation - Genesis 1:2
Who parted the Red Sea? Moses, or God? How did he do it?
Who split the ground and swallowed down Korah and his clan? How did God do it?
How does God guide man's thoughts; influence hearts; write on walls and stone...?
Is it not, his finger?

The holy spirit as God's active force, explains in simple terms how God can stay in his elevated position in heaven, and actually do all these things... without coming down.
That's a profound thought, isn't it Ronald?

Jesus said the father would give holy spirit to those asking.
So, I'm praying for holy spirit, at the same time 3,000,000 people are praying for holy spirit.
God does not put me on a waiting list, until all 3,000,000 persons receive holy spirit.
We all receive it at the same time, and it aids us in different ways, according to each need.
Can you explain how that is done? How does a person fill millions of persons all over the world... at the same time?

The Holy Spirit is poured out (figuratively speaking like water is poured out) only we are baptized by the Holy Spirit. It's mit just power, it is a relationship.
Of course it's not power. That we agree on.
Power is more like strength. It's what someone mighty has... and there is none geater in power than almighty God.
However, Samson was empowered by holy spirit, and prior to his death, he did something which illustrates a pertinent point in this discussion.
Judges 16:26
And Samson said unto the lad that held him by the hand, Suffer me that I may feel the pillars whereupon the house standeth, that I may lean upon them.

Why would Samson need to rest his hands upon the pillars, and lean on them.
He had the power - the strength, but where was the force?
With Jehovah, the force from him is not restricted to his being. There is no need for God to "feel the pillars". His powerful and active force which he sends out can shatter the pillars, or he can gently south the heart of a child.
For whatever purpose, God's spirit - his finger, allows him to accomplishes all he wills.

It's a relationship... do you mean holy spirit is?
You said poured out figuratively speaking. Can you explain how?

Our spirit is transformed, born again when this happens and so now our spirit can commune with God. He lives in us. As the Holy Spirit descended upon Him when He was baptized. He is poured out on us. The Holy Spirit loves us, He teaches us, guides, counsels, leads, gives truth, searches all truth (which means He is omniscient), is omnipresent (since billions are comforted by Him) and omnipotent, He bears witness to Christ, glorifies Christ, is wise, gives us gifts, makes promises, fellowships with us, sanctifies us, justifies us, convicts us of sin, and edifies us. Im sure I left many things out.
I know you believe this. Thanks for sharing, and I am sure you have much more you can say... and I do agree on how the spirit helps us. Thanks ...but I am interested in your explanation on how.
For example, you didn't explain how Jesus used the holy spirit person to cast out the demons.

was filled with the Holy Spirit since birth. Only at His baptism, for our benefit to show us as an example how we will also experience the same, did they witness the Holy Spirit descend upon Him as a dove.
How would you pour out your love, knowledge, wisdom and guidance to your child? Let's look at it a different way. If you were an unloved, disobedient and unwise orphan and one day you were adopted and everything changed. This new Father loved you, taught you, provided for you and all the above list of things I mentioned . He changed your heart, took away the fears, anger and hatred. He poured out himself on you. Now you were his son forever.
Our Father gives us His Spirit
Yes. Good illustration, showing how God uses his holy spirit to accomplish different purposes.
May I ask, why must he pour out himself? Is this because you were taught that God is three, therefore the holy spirit is God?
Do you see that in scripture though, or do you see that holy spirit belongs to God, and he generously and freely shares it?

Last edited:

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
Another verse says:

Luk 11:20 But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you.

Finger of God:
Exo 31:18 And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

Exo 8:18 And the magicians did so with their enchantments to bring forth lice, but they could not: so there were lice upon man, and upon beast.
Exo 8:19 Then the magicians said unto Pharaoh, This is the finger of God: and Pharaoh's heart was hardened, and he hearkened not unto them; as the LORD had said.

Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Psa 8:3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, H676 the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;

Jhn 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

How did Jesus use the finger of God to cast out demons?
Perhaps Jesus IS the finger of God and his works were done through him.
And if we too have this "power" to cast out demons, then perhaps with God's Spirit within us, we too become his fingers and do the works he sends us to do.

There was a man named Simon who thought he could buy this power, he wanted to have the hands (fingers) of the Lord:

Act 8:18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
Act 8:19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.
Act 8:20 But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
Act 8:21 Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.
Act 8:22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.

What is the gift of God?
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

The answer is FAITH.

Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Jesus cast out devils by faith and the power of God.

Just sharing my thoughts..
hugs
Thanks for referencing scriptures.
You said, maybe Jesus is the finger of God, but the corresponding verse - Matthew 20:28 says God's spirit.
All references in the Bible says the spirit is God's, or belong to God.
In fact, Acts 2:33 tells us "Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear."

Also, it would be quite awkward trying to explain how the holy spirit is Jesus, and on the day of his baptism, this happened... And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway from the water: and lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove, and coming upon him; Matthew 3:16

Surely God isn't trying to fool us.
The Atheists might think we are fooling ourselves though.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What is Holy Spirit?
The question should be "Who is the Holy Spirit"? since the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal "force" (as some claim). And we know from Scripture that the Holy Spirit is God the Holy Spirit -- the third person of the Holy Trinity. Christ was filled with the Holy Spirit (or fully empowered by the Holy Spirit) so He did His miracles by the power of the Spirit. But after Christ ascended to Heaven He and the Father sent the Holy Spirit to earth to fulfil the Holy Spirits several ministries.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, it would be quite awkward trying to explain how the holy spirit is Jesus, and on the day of his baptism, this happened... And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway from the water: and lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove, and coming upon him; Matthew 3:16
I believe this was for John the Baptists sake?
John was told that he would recognize Jesus by this sign.

Jhn 1:32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
Jhn 1:33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

In fact, Acts 2:33 tells us "Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear."

Jhn 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Jhn 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
Jhn 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

Jhn 14:25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
Jhn 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Jhn 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

Jhn 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you

"Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear."

Promises made, Promises Kept.

Hugs

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please explain

Jesus Christ is God. The Spirit is the power of God. Read Romans 8:9. See that the Spirit is also God. And the Father, being invisible and Spirit is also God. "9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

When you are filled with the Holy Spirit, you are filled with Christ and have the mind of Christ. 1 Corinthians 2:16. This is called being born again. Without God inside of us, we do not belong to Him, nor can we enter heaven. God inside of us is the only way we can be righteous or holy. Revelation 22:11.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you please explain how the holy spirit is God when Jesus received it from God, and poured it out on his disciples?
Jesus is one with the Father and the Holy Spirit. The witnessing at Jesus baptism of the Father's voice and the Holy Spirit descending on Him was for our consumption. That there were three present then and always is evident, all being omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent.
God emptied Himself into a fetus who was born without sin, having the Spirit of God in Him and was worshipped, grew and became a man and all along relinquished His glory temporarily. He received it back after His mission on earth.

Spiritual birth is just that.
Our spirit is dead when we are born, non-functional, a spiritual empty vessel if you will. GOD prepares our hearts for a divine appointment, at which time He removes the veil of blindness and gives us spiritual life. Then we are no longer empty vessels but our God Compartment (very similar to the Most Holy Place in the old Temple), now becomes the dwelling place of God within us. We are the Temple of the Holy Spirit, who is God.
So we have a spirit, that is the invisible purified self. But we also have the flesh which is separate so that when we die we go directly to be with the LORD. Jesus said "receive my spirit" ( or "I surrender my spirit") when He died, Stephen said, "receive my spirit" when he was stoned to death. Paul said "to be absent the body is to be present with the Lord". There is no waiting period. We die and go to Him. Think of your spirit as everything that is good and pure about you. So when we die, we are presented spotless, white as snow to the Father. How? Jesus washed us of our sins.

The soul is the mind, will, emotions, your talents, personality, the invisible you. Everyone has a soul, even animals. But animals do not have a spirit. "The word of God is sharper than a two-edged sword ... able to divide soul and spirit". If they were the same, they could not be divided. It is confusing and complicated. We are fearfully made. The intricacies of this are beyond what we can know.
You ask how God does this or that as if anyone can tell you how He performs miracles. They are supernatural, and above our comprehension. I just observe what He has done and try to understand that.
Sanctification therefore is instant concerning your spirit, the new creature. But concerning your soul, well, that takes time because sin dwells in the members of our flesh. Although we died to our old selves spiritually and died to the power of sin over us, we still backslide into our old ways. Sanctification if our natural selves takes a while. We grow spiritually and as our spirit and the Holy Spirit commune together, and as He guides us, He transforms us into the likeness of Christ. Our behavior changes but not instantly. Eventually we bear the "fruit of the Spirit".

I view the holy spirit the way Jesus described at Luke 11:20
Why would Jesus compare holy

God is Spirit. The "Finger of God" is figurative language, meaning His will and power.

God used his holy spirit at creation - Genesis 1:2
Right. "Let US make man in OUR image." Elohim is a plural form.

Who parted the Red Sea? Moses, or God? How did he do it?

God performs miracles and at times He gifts and purposes man to do the same by His power. We can do nothing without Him.

Who split the ground and swallowed down Korah and his clan? How did God do it?

Again you ask "how" God performs supernatural miralcles as if anyone can tell you the mysteries of His power. He speaks out a command and it is done. "IN HIM ALL THINGS CONSIST" (meaning are held together). That means every atom in the physical universe. So He controls everything. That is what all powerful and all mighty means. A volcanic eruption bursts, the earth quakes , an asteroid hits, Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed, Korah and his clan were swallowed and comsumed, a sun explodes or goes dark or a sparrow falling to the ground is all within His power. But we are the most amazing creation of His - even the physical universe is much less than we are in complexity.
How does God guide man's thoughts; influence hearts; write on walls and stone...?
Is it not, his finger?

We commune spiritually with God so we think God's thoughts, He speaks to us. All our thoughts are not self generated. We read, watch the news, learn from others, but also God puts thoughts into our minds. We may think it is our own and sometimes question it, analyse it, and discard it, finding out later that we should have gone with our first intuitive thought. God guides us this way, "You ought go this way"; "Don't do that"; "Help this person"; "Forgive"; "Love"; etc. How else would He comfort us. He brings things to our remembrance, all that Jesus taught, all truth.

The holy spirit as God's active force, explains in simple terms how God can stay in his elevated position in heaven, and actually do all these things... without coming down.
That's a profound thought, isn't it Ronald?

This concept of the Holy Spirit being an impersonal, active force is lame and empty.

Jesus said the father would give holy spirit to those asking.
So, I'm praying for holy spirit, at the same time 3,000,000 people are praying for holy spirit.
God does not put me on a waiting list, until all 3,000,000 persons receive holy spirit.

Why would you think that? The Holy Spirit is omnipresent. The spiritual realm is not in nor confined to time, which is part of our physical universe. This is how Jesus sacrifice washes all sins for all time and for all who believe in His death. And it is how we can be spiritually resurrected as if we go back in time to His death and resurrection > we died with Him and were raised with Him.

You said poured out figuratively speaking. Can you explain how?

I did above.

For example, you didn't explain how Jesus used the holy spirit person to cast out the demons

I did. Jesus cast out demons by the power of God because He is God. He allows others to do the same when they are empowered by the Holy Spirit. You must first be baptized by the Holy Spirit to receive spiritual gifts.

Is this because you were taught that God is three, therefore the holy spirit is God?

I was taught this way but I've always questioned what I was taught by searching the scriptures to verify truth. I agreed with my Pastor probably 95% of the times.
He is brilliant.

Holy Spirit scriptures to study:
Luke 1:15
Matthew 3:11
John 14:16-17
John 14:26
John 15:26
Acts of the Apostles 1:8
Acts of the Apostles 2:2-4
Ephesians 1:13
Galatians 5:22
Job 33:4
Romans 8:26-27
Romans 15:30
Acts of the Apostles 13:2
Hebrews 3:7-11
Acts of the Apostles 1:16
2 Peter 1:21
Ephesians 4:30
Philippians 2:1-2
1 Corinthians 2:13
Romans 15:19
1 Thessalonians 1:6
1 Corinthians 12:7
Acts of the Apostles 5:3
Acts of the Apostles 28:25-26
1 Peter 1:10-11
John 16:14-15

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please explain

It is not a what but a who!

The Spirit speaks, can be lied to , helped in creation, can be grieved, and is called God! Though I cannot explain HIm as well as we can the Father and son- does not negate His personality and deity.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
For example, you didn't explain how Jesus used the holy spirit to cast out demons

When Jesus did it, it was an astonishing thing. That someone had authority over the demons. And then his disciples used the name of Jesus to cast out demons, and succeeded as well. And even unbelievers tried it but the demon possesed man beat them for it. For the demons did not know the name of these Jews. They didn't know them because their names were not written in heaven.

So it is the authority behind the name of Jesus that allows us to cast out demons. And allowed Jesus himself to do so. The Holy Spirit is involved, there are clues in the scriptures that can be searched out all the way from Genesis to Revelation. But it is sufficient to know his name has the authority to cast out demons, and knowing how it works doesn't add to one's faith. And speculating puts one at risk of error.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jhn 1:32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
Jhn 1:33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

Jhn 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Jhn 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Jhn 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Jhn 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

Jhn 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

"Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear."

Hugs

Ziggy: the word is "barista", not "barrista". You should correct your signature.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unless she is a barrister as well as a barista on the side.:cool:
I had to look it up..

Barrister
A barrister is a type of lawyer in common law jurisdictions. Barristers mostly specialise in courtroom advocacy and litigation. Their tasks include taking cases in superior courts and tribunals, drafting legal pleadings, researching the philosophy, hypothesis and history of law, and giving expert legal opinions.Wikipedia

hmm..
nope, not a lawyer. But I do like Justice and Fairness. And I'm an expert in nothing, but I have plenty of legal opinions.
So there's that.
:D
Hugs

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
The question should be "Who is the Holy Spirit"? since the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal "force" (as some claim). And we know from Scripture that the Holy Spirit is God the Holy Spirit -- the third person of the Holy Trinity. Christ was filled with the Holy Spirit (or fully empowered by the Holy Spirit) so He did His miracles by the power of the Spirit. But after Christ ascended to Heaven He and the Father sent the Holy Spirit to earth to fulfil the Holy Spirits several ministries.
Thank you for sharing what you believe Enoch, but isn't this the Bible Study section.
If you know this from scripture, surely you can show me the scripture. We know it is not hard to just say what we believe.
If you are happy with that belief, that's fine by me Enoch.
If though you want to discuss the Bible, on this topic, then I look forward to your scripture that says the holy spirit is God.
I have never read it you see.

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia

Hugs
Are you not speculating then Ziggy?
Would a young person accept "I believe so." Or would they not rather want to see for themselves?
The young person - that's me :) - wants to know how the holy spirit can be Jesus, when the holy spirit was poured out... by the father, on Jesus at his baptism.
Jesus was annointed by holy spirit. Do you know this, or do you disagree?

Reactions: Ziggy