What is Holy Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
Jesus Christ is God. The Spirit is the power of God. Read Romans 8:9. See that the Spirit is also God. And the Father, being invisible and Spirit is also God. "9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

When you are filled with the Holy Spirit, you are filled with Christ and have the mind of Christ. 1 Corinthians 2:16. This is called being born again. Without God inside of us, we do not belong to Him, nor can we enter heaven. God inside of us is the only way we can be righteous or holy. Revelation 22:11.
I thought born again was being born of water and spirit, as Jesus explained to Nicodemus in John 3. You are saying that's not so?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I thought born again was being born of water and spirit, as Jesus explained to Nicodemus in John 3. You are saying that's not so?

Born of water and the Spirit. Be sure to mind that the scripture is speaking here specifically of the Holy Spirit.

Being born again is what seals someone as a child of God because their spirit is reborn into the family.

As to proving the Holy Spirit is God. Consider Hebrews 4:16. Wouldn't approaching the throne of Grace be impossible with God in heaven and us on earth? But because the kingdom of heaven is within you it is possible.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Again" means you were already born once of water from the womb. Born of the Spirit means your carnal nature called the old man in Romans 6:6-7 dies and nailed to Christ's cross. Being born of the Spirit is being born "again" and our nature is changed. There are some who believe "water" is baptism. I focus on the Spirit as the true source of our being born again. Baptism is a sign that you have already died to your sin nature and are buried. We do not bury a person who is still alive do we.

2 Corinthians 5:17
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Paul is talking about our nature becoming divine like Christ. 2 Peter 1:2-4 These verses describe what being born again results in behavior and powerwise.

2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, 4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Luke 11:11-13
11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?
12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

We cannot make ourselves born again. So ask Jesus to let you experience His taking away of your sin nature, and to fill you with His Spirit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ziggy and lforrest

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This question is open to everyone.
Please explain
1) how did Jesus used the holy spirit to cast out demons.
  • Matthew 12:28 But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.
2) how did Jesus pour out the holy spirit on his disciples.
  • Acts 2:33 Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing.
@Ronald David Bruno I would like to hear you explain please. Thanks.
The Holy Spirit seals us from possession and evil spirits. If we have the comforter we will not be possessed.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit seals us from possession and evil spirits. If we have the comforter we will not be possessed.

We will also keep His commandments because they are now a part of our new born again nature. 1 John 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
Jesus is one with the Father and the Holy Spirit.
I and the father are one - John 10:38
Where does it say Jesus is one with the holy spirit, except in the text in 1 John 5:7, 8, which they have found proof that these were added in the 4th century, and are widely considered spurious.
One might ask why this text is missing from almost every single Bible translation apart from the KJV and the NKJV. And why did the NKJV translators use this added text anyway since it is absent from the manuscripts that they translated from? Does the fact that the translators of the NKJV Bible being Trinitarian have anything to do with that?

(A Conservative Version) “Because those who testify are three:
(Analytical-Literal Translation) “Because three are the Ones testifying:
(An Understandable Version-The New Testament) “For there are three who give their testimony [about Jesus]:
(American Standard Version) “And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is the truth.
(Bible Basic English) “And the Spirit is the witness, because the Spirit is true.
(Contemporary English Version) “In fact, there are three who tell about it.
(The Complete Jewish Bible) “There are three witnesses -
(Common Edition, New Testament) “And it is the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is the truth.
(Darby) “For they that bear witness are three:
(English Majority Text Version) “For there are three that bear witness:
(English Standard Version) “For there are three that testify:
(Good News Bible) “There are three witnesses:
(God's Word) “There are three witnesses:
(Holman Christian Standard Bible) “For there are three that testify:
(The Hebrew Names Version) “For there are three who testify:
(International Standard Version) “For there are three witnesses-
(Living Oracles New Testament) “And it is the Spirit who testified; because the Spirit is the truth.
(The Message) “A triple testimony:
(New American Standard Bible) “For there are three that testify:
(New Century Version) “So there are three witnesses that tell us about Jesus:
(NET Bible) “For there are three that testify,
(New International Reader's Version) “There are three that give witness about Jesus.
(New International Version) “For there are three that testify:
(New Living Translation) “So we have these three witnesses -
(New Revised Standard Version Bible) “There are three that testify:
(Revised Standard Version) “And the Spirit is the witness, because the Spirit is the truth.
(Revised Version) “And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is the truth.
(The Scriptures 1998) “Because there are three who bear witness:
(Twentieth Century New Testament) “It is a three-fold testimony--
(Updated Bible Version) “For there are three who bear witness,
(World English Bible) “For there are three who testify:

So we can see in the above list that only the KJV and the NKJV Bible have included the added text.
*** Spirit ***
It may first be noted that the words “in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one” (KJ) found in older translations at 1 John 5:7 are actually spurious additions to the original text. A footnote in The Jerusalem Bible, a Catholic translation, says that these words are “not in any of the early Greek MSS [manuscripts], or any of the early translations, or in the best MSS of the Vulg[ate] itself.” A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament, by Bruce Metzger (1975, pp. 716-718), traces in detail the history of the spurious passage. It states that the passage is first found in a treatise entitled Liber Apologeticus, of the fourth century, and that it appears in Old Latin and Vulgate manuscripts of the Scriptures, beginning in the sixth century. Modern translations as a whole, both Catholic and Protestant, do not include them in the main body of the text, because of recognizing their spurious nature. - RS, NE, NAB.

“From the sixth century onwards, [those words were] found more and more frequently in manuscripts of the Old Latin and of the [Latin] Vulgate.” - Bruce Metzger
this addition does not appear in the oldest Greek manuscripts. Neither does it appear in the
Syriac Peshitta
It's something that concerns people who are interested in Bible truth. Does this information not concern you Ronald?

I'm wondering though, why you think the father being one with the son, and vica-versa is significant. Is not Jesus one with his disciples, and they one with the father? John 17:21

The witnessing at Jesus baptism of the Father's voice and the Holy Spirit descending on Him was for our consumption. That there were three present then and always is evident, all being omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent.
God emptied Himself into a fetus who was born without sin, having the Spirit of God in Him and was worshipped, grew and became a man and all along relinquished His glory temporarily. He received it back after His mission on earth.
I believe it was indeed for the benefit of those present, and by extension, us today to appreciate that the father approves the one who would be the promised Messiah. For that, Jesus was also anointed.
Three omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent? That's what you believe?
No problem. I haven't seen any scriptures supporting that belief.
The Bibles I read, all say God is one.

Spiritual birth is just that.
Our spirit is dead when we are born, non-functional, a spiritual empty vessel if you will. GOD prepares our hearts for a divine appointment, at which time He removes the veil of blindness and gives us spiritual life. Then we are no longer empty vessels but our God Compartment (very similar to the Most Holy Place in the old Temple), now becomes the dwelling place of God within us. We are the Temple of the Holy Spirit, who is God.
So we have a spirit, that is the invisible purified self. But we also have the flesh which is separate so that when we die we go directly to be with the LORD. Jesus said "receive my spirit" ( or "I surrender my spirit") when He died, Stephen said, "receive my spirit" when he was stoned to death. Paul said "to be absent the body is to be present with the Lord". There is no waiting period. We die and go to Him. Think of your spirit as everything that is good and pure about you. So when we die, we are presented spotless, white as snow to the Father. How? Jesus washed us of our sins.

The soul is the mind, will, emotions, your talents, personality, the invisible you. Everyone has a soul, even animals. But animals do not have a spirit. "The word of God is sharper than a two-edged sword ... able to divide soul and spirit". If they were the same, they could not be divided. It is confusing and complicated. We are fearfully made. The intricacies of this are beyond what we can know.
You ask how God does this or that as if anyone can tell you how He performs miracles. They are supernatural, and above our comprehension. I just observe what He has done and try to understand that.
Sanctification therefore is instant concerning your spirit, the new creature. But concerning your soul, well, that takes time because sin dwells in the members of our flesh. Although we died to our old selves spiritually and died to the power of sin over us, we still backslide into our old ways. Sanctification if our natural selves takes a while. We grow spiritually and as our spirit and the Holy Spirit commune together, and as He guides us, He transforms us into the likeness of Christ. Our behavior changes but not instantly. Eventually we bear the "fruit of the Spirit".
These are things you believe, yes.
I was expecting a Bible discussion. My mistake.

God is Spirit. The "Finger of God" is figurative language, meaning His will and power.
God is a spirit... the Bible says. John 4:24, but God also has spirit - Holy spirit... which is not him. Genesis 1:2;
1 Corinthians 2:12 But we received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is from God; that we might know the things that were freely given to us of God.
His will and power... Hmmm. I'm listening.

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
Right. "Let US make man in OUR image." Elohim is a plural form.
That's not Genesis 1:2. That's verse 26.

God performs miracles and at times He gifts and purposes man to do the same by His power. We can do nothing without Him.
So holy spirit is power? I thought you said it wasn't?
Now I'm confused. Can you clarify?

Again you ask "how" God performs supernatural miralcles as if anyone can tell you the mysteries of His power. He speaks out a command and it is done. "IN HIM ALL THINGS CONSIST" (meaning are held together). That means every atom in the physical universe. So He controls everything. That is what all powerful and all mighty means. A volcanic eruption bursts, the earth quakes , an asteroid hits, Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed, Korah and his clan were swallowed and comsumed, a sun explodes or goes dark or a sparrow falling to the ground is all within His power. But we are the most amazing creation of His - even the physical universe is much less than we are in complexity.
You have used the word power quite often now. I hope you will indeed clarify.

We commune spiritually with God so we think God's thoughts, He speaks to us. All our thoughts are not self generated. We read, watch the news, learn from others, but also God puts thoughts into our minds. We may think it is our own and sometimes question it, analyse it, and discard it, finding out later that we should have gone with our first intuitive thought. God guides us this way, "You ought go this way"; "Don't do that"; "Help this person"; "Forgive"; "Love"; etc. How else would He comfort us. He brings things to our remembrance, all that Jesus taught, all truth.
Yes. I agree with this. That's how God uses his holy spirit. Without it, he could not do these things. Do you agree?

This concept of the Holy Spirit being an impersonal, active force is lame and empty.
Remember what I said about what others say about your beliefs. Attacking is just another form of finger pointing.
main-qimg-c84a3f69459222c03c1beef958de6cad

Credits Stock Photos, Vectors and Royalty Free Images from 123RF

Fights go that way. Then punches follow.
That's not God's spirit.

Why would you think that? The Holy Spirit is omnipresent. The spiritual realm is not in nor confined to time, which is part of our physical universe. This is how Jesus sacrifice washes all sins for all time and for all who believe in His death. And it is how we can be spiritually resurrected as if we go back in time to His death and resurrection > we died with Him and were raised with Him.
Why am I not seeing any scriptures? Is it because you only believe these things?
I started the thread in the Bible Study section.

I did above.
Sorry, I must not have connected what you said with the question. I'll double check.

I did. Jesus cast out demons by the power of God because He is God. He allows others to do the same when they are empowered by the Holy Spirit. You must first be baptized by the Holy Spirit to receive spiritual gifts.
Here you are using power again. So you do believe holy spirit is the power of God.
Thank you for being clear, and giving a direct answer... finally.

So either I am confused, or you are, because you said... "The Holy Spirit is God, a person." Then you say..."You are asking the wrong question as if Jesus uses a force or we use a force as if it was a spigot of power." Then you say... The holy spirit is the "power of God". Your words... "Jesus cast out demons by the power of God".

What man, woman, or child, is not confused with this morass?

I was taught this way but I've always questioned what I was taught by searching the scriptures to verify truth. I agreed with my Pastor probably 95% of the times.
He is brilliant.

Holy Spirit scriptures to study:
You questioned the scriptures? o_O Seriously?
I question what others claim the scriptures say.
I'll await your clarification on what is evidently quite a significant morass.

Last edited:

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
It is not a what but a who!

The Spirit speaks, can be lied to , helped in creation, can be grieved, and is called God! Though I cannot explain HIm as well as we can the Father and son- does not negate His personality and deity.
So do you believe wisdom is a person? Proverbs 8; Matthew 11:19; Luke 7:35;
Who is wisdom? ...and what about death? Romans 5:14 Who is death?

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
When Jesus did it, it was an astonishing thing. That someone had authority over the demons. And then his disciples used the name of Jesus to cast out demons, and succeeded as well. And even unbelievers tried it but the demon possesed man beat them for it. For the demons did not know the name of these Jews. They didn't know them because their names were not written in heaven.

So it is the authority behind the name of Jesus that allows us to cast out demons. And allowed Jesus himself to do so. The Holy Spirit is involved, there are clues in the scriptures that can be searched out all the way from Genesis to Revelation. But it is sufficient to know his name has the authority to cast out demons, and knowing how it works doesn't add to one's faith. And speculating puts one at risk of error.
Can you cast out demons lforrest?
When you say the holy spirit is involved, what do you mean? Can you explain? That's what I am asking of persons who believe the holy spirit is a person.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you not speculating then Ziggy?
Would a young person accept "I believe so." Or would they not rather want to see for themselves?
The young person - that's me :) - wants to know how the holy spirit can be Jesus, when the holy spirit was poured out... by the father, on Jesus at his baptism.
Jesus was annointed by holy spirit. Do you know this, or do you disagree?
Alright,
Let me remove the speculation.
This was for John the Baptist's sake.

There I fixed it.
Hugs

Reactions: michaelvpardo

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The young person - that's me :) - wants to know how the holy spirit can be Jesus, when the holy spirit was poured out... by the father, on Jesus at his baptism.
Jesus was annointed by holy spirit. Do you know this, or do you disagree?
Jesus was born filled with Grace and Truth.
The Holy Spirit IS Truth.
Jesus IS the Holy Spirit.

Jhn 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Jhn 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
Jhn 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

Who abides with us forever?
I can't pass up this opportunity to share one of my favorite songs with you.
Be Blessed.
Hugs

Reactions: michaelvpardo

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
"Again" means you were already born once of water from the womb.
Oh. You were born of water?
1stCenturyLady, I hope I am not asking too much of you, but where can I find that in the Bible, or any science text book?
Please provide a reference.

Born of the Spirit means your carnal nature called the old man in Romans 6:6-7 dies and nailed to Christ's cross. Being born of the Spirit is being born "again" and our nature is changed. There are some who believe "water" is baptism. I focus on the Spirit as the true source of our being born again. Baptism is a sign that you have already died to your sin nature and are buried. We do not bury a person who is still alive do we.
Let me look at the scripture again.
John 3:3-8
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except one be born anew, he cannot see the kingdom of God. 4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb, and be born? 5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except one be born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born anew. 8 The wind bloweth where it will, and thou hearest the voice thereof, but knowest not whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

From what I read here 1stCenturyLady, Jesus explained what being born again (anew) is, or means.
It's like this... Say you are talking to someone, and you said something, and the person asked for clarity, and you clarify.
That's exactly what happened here.
Jesus clarified his first statement, explaining... or, if you will, interpreting it.
He said one must be born of water and spirit.

Does being born of water mean born from the womb? What does the scriptures say?
Here is what the one sent to prepare the way says... "I indeed baptize you in water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you in the Holy Spirit and in fire:" - Matthew 3:11

Based on scripture, from the days of John the Baptist... the one sent ahead of the Messiah, water baptism was necessary, for both Jew, and Greek.
All needed to be baptized in water. They could not qualify for the kingdom without water baptism.
In fact, when Cornelius received holy spirit, this happened... Acts 10:45-48
45 And they of the circumcision that believed were amazed, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Spirit. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, 47 Can any man forbid the water, that these should not be baptized, who have received the Holy Spirit as well as we? 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

They had to be baptized in water. Only then were they born again - born as sons of God... not sons of men.

2 Corinthians 5:17
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Paul is talking about our nature becoming divine like Christ. 2 Peter 1:2-4 These verses describe what being born again results in behavior and powerwise.
Divine like Christ? They became gods, do you mean?
I like Romans 8. Paul explains what they were born for.

2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, 4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Luke 11:11-13
11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?
12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

We cannot make ourselves born again. So ask Jesus to let you experience His taking away of your sin nature, and to fill you with His Spirit.
Everyone cannot be born again.

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
Jesus was born filled with Grace and Truth.
The Holy Spirit IS Truth.
Jesus IS the Holy Spirit.

Who abides with us forever?
I can't pass up this opportunity to share one of my favorite songs with you.
Be Blessed.
Hugs
Sorry Ziggy, but I have to disagree with you.
The Bible does not say the holy spirit is truth. Rather, the Bible says the holy spirit guides or leads one into all truth (John 16:13).

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Funny. Lol.
Scripture? :)
I showed you, but I will show you again.

Jhn 1:32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
Jhn 1:33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

John sees the Spirit descending and remaining on Jesus. For this reason:
And I knew him not, and so John was given a sign to show him who the lamb of God is.

THIS IS PURELY SPECULATION!!!
I don't know much about the middle east. Could be pigeons were common (for sacrifices) and many were familiar and unafraid of people.
But John was told... by whom I don't know.. but that the one who the dove (pigeon) lands on and remains on him, this is he that baptizes with the Holy Ghost.
Jesus is the one who gives the Holy Spirit to others. He shares himself with us.
We are partakers of His Spirit.

Scripture.. ok

1Jo 4:13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.

Who is John speaking of..

1Jo 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
1Jo 4:13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.

Who came to baptize with the Holy Spirit? Christ.
Jesus said, I will not leave you comfortless, I will come to you.

We have God, Jesus, the Spirit.. all residing in us at the same time.
These are not 3 seperate entities, this is all one in the same.

1Co 6:15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
1Co 6:16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
1Co 6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

To read it and understand it is one thing, to try and explain it...

Bodies, members as in church, collectively all the people who are born again are members of the Body (church) wholeness of Christ.
When some members are doing their own thing, like taking up sinful practices, or hanging with the wrong people, maybe messing around with cults and stuff, these members are like an infection in the body. Harlots, they prostitute themselves with other religions, other beliefs, etc.

You can't serve the world (harlot) and God (Lord) . You have to choose one.
And those that are joined, all the members, bodies, church, unto the Lord, are of the same Spirit.

Now we're going to get personal. This is members in particular and not collectively.

1Co 6:18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
1Co 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

All this to show that the Holy Spirit in us belongs to God.
And we are to glorify God in our body..ies. Individually and collectively.
We are all connected by the same Spirit. We are all connected to the same God, We are all connected to the same Christ.

We are baught with a price.
Who paid the price?

This is regarding one's being called.
1Co 7:22 For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant.
1Co 7:23 Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men.
1Co 7:24 Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God.

We are the Lord's freeman, We are Christ's servant, and we abide with God.

Who baught us and what was the price?

Hugs

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
I showed you, but I will show you again.

John sees the Spirit descending and remaining on Jesus. For this reason:
And I knew him not, and so John was given a sign to show him who the lamb of God is.

THIS IS PURELY SPECULATION!!!
I don't know much about the middle east. Could be pigeons were common (for sacrifices) and many were familiar and unafraid of people.
But John was told... by whom I don't know.. but that the one who the dove (pigeon) lands on and remains on him, this is he that baptizes with the Holy Ghost.
Jesus is the one who gives the Holy Spirit to others. He shares himself with us.
We are partakers of His Spirit.

Scripture.. ok

Who is John speaking of..

1Jo 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

Who came to baptize with the Holy Spirit? Christ.
Jesus said, I will not leave you comfortless, I will come to you.

We have God, Jesus, the Spirit.. all residing in us at the same time.
These are not 3 seperate entities, this is all one in the same.

1Co 6:15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
1Co 6:16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
1Co 6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

To read it and understand it is one thing, to try and explain it...

Bodies, members as in church, collectively all the people who are born again are members of the Body (church) wholeness of Christ.
When some members are doing their own thing, like taking up sinful practices, or hanging with the wrong people, maybe messing around with cults and stuff, these members are like an infection in the body. Harlots, they prostitute themselves with other religions, other beliefs, etc.

You can't serve the world (harlot) and God (Lord) . You have to choose one.
And those that are joined, all the members, bodies, church, unto the Lord, are of the same Spirit.

Now we're going to get personal. This is members in particular and not collectively.

1Co 6:18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
1Co 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

All this to show that the Holy Spirit in us belongs to God.
And we are to glorify God in our body..ies. Individually and collectively.
We are all connected by the same Spirit. We are all connected to the same God, We are all connected to the same Christ.

We are baught with a price.
Who paid the price?

This is regarding one's being called.
1Co 7:22 For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant.
1Co 7:23 Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men.
1Co 7:24 Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God.

We are the Lord's freeman, We are Christ's servant, and we abide with God.

Who baught us and what was the price?

Hugs
Whoa. Are you trying to drown me. :D
That's different to being given a sign that Jesus is the holy spirit coming down on Jesus, and Jesus calling from heaven that Jesus is Jesus' son... isn't it.

Reactions: Ziggy

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Can you cast out demons lforrest?
When you say the holy spirit is involved, what do you mean? Can you explain? That's what I am asking of persons who believe the holy spirit is a person.

Yes, but have only done so against evil presences that have come against me and my family but haven't done so for someone possessed. Once the demons are driven out of someone keeping them out is a problem once they are driven, and just doing it without remedying the sin that gave the demon the right to possess them in the first place can leave that person in a worse state.

Matthew 12:28 tells us the Holy Spirit is involved in driving out demons, so what I mean is believe the scriptures. It has something to do with the authority Jesus Christ has been given in heaven and in earth. Matthew 28:18 Such authority would definitely enable him to cast out demons. But if you want me to speculate on exactly how the Holy Spirit is involved, I would have to go out on a limb.

But if you're trying to prove the Holy Spirit is God, or even a person, I don't think looking at demon possession is the easiest approach to proving it with scripture.

Reactions: Grailhunter

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry Ziggy, but I have to disagree with you.
The Bible does not say the holy spirit is truth. Rather, the Bible says the holy spirit guides or leads one into all truth (John 16:13).

Jhn 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Jhn 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

1Jo 4:6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Sorry John, but I have to disagree with you.
Hugs