What is Holy Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does it say Jesus is one with the holy spirit,
Ah, the scriptures I gave were not enough to penetrate and reveal this truth. The Holy Spirit gives us exactly what Jesus taught _ the Word _ complete _ as we receive it. The Holy Spirit confirms the presense of God in us as much as I believe in Christ, for it is the Spirit of God, the Spirit of Christ.
It's something that concerns people who are interested in Bible truth.
About 1 John 5:7, The Holy Spirit confirms that verse by speaking to us, He is a witness to Christ and Christ is TRUTH. The Holy Spirit searches all truth, therefore all knowing and in all born again Christians, so omnipresent and Omnipotent, since He is God.

I'm wondering though, why you think the father being one with the son, and vica-versa is significant. Is not Jesus one with his disciples, and they one with the father? John 17:21
Is any human the exact expression and radiance of Jesus? No. Being ONE with the Father is perfection, Omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent.

Three omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent? That's what you believe?
No problem. I haven't seen any scriptures supporting that belief.
Well, when you believe the Jesus is Michael and the Holy Spirit is an active force, then it's no wonder. You think Jesus was a created being, yet He is the LIGHT OR THE WORLD. This created light that you hold seems artificial, like a light bulb is compared to the SUN. Plants can grow with a light bulb, but they don't really have the full spectrum of LIGHT that the SUN has, so growth is slow, and marginal at best, yielding little. The LIGHT illuminates our spirits is not created, it is LIFE itself. We are in Christ. Where do you think that is, in an archangel or in God?

I was expecting a Bible discussion. My mistake.
I expected you to study the scriptures that I gave. You got an F on your report card, I'm sorry you'll have to go back to the drawing board and start over.

But we received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is from God; that we might know the things that were freely given to us of God.
We did, I'm not sure about you though?

Reactions: michaelvpardo

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whoa. Are you trying to drown me. :D
That's different to being given a sign that Jesus is the holy spirit coming down on Jesus, and Jesus calling from heaven that Jesus is Jesus' son... isn't it.
ok that's fair.
Let's look at this verse..

Luk 3:21 Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened,
Luk 3:22 And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

According to Luke, Jesus was baptized prior to the Holy Ghost descending on him.
This is the same time when Jesus is whisked away and tried in the wilderness, and the beginning of His Ministry.
Yes, so far?

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
Born of water and the Spirit. Be sure to mind that the scripture is speaking here specifically of the Holy Spirit.
Which scripture are you referring to?

Being born again is what seals someone as a child of God because their spirit is reborn into the family.
Their spirit is reborn into the family? I don't understand what you are trying to say. Can you elaborate please?

As to proving the Holy Spirit is God. Consider Hebrews 4:16. Wouldn't approaching the throne of Grace be impossible with God in heaven and us on earth? But because the kingdom of heaven is within you it is possible.
No.
According to the scriptures, Christ blood makes that possible, just as sacrifices of the blood of bulls and lambs made it possible for the Jews.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to the scriptures, Christ blood makes that possible, just as sacrifices of the blood of bulls and lambs made it possible for the Jews.

Heb 10:4 "For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins." That was symbolic, pointing to Christ.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not Genesis 1:2. That's verse 26.
I know. You referred to the Holy Spirit as being present at the Creation and gave this verse. So I moved ahead a little further to add to your thought. Elohim was present: Father, Son and Holy Spirit
So holy spirit is power? I thought you said it wasn't?
Now I'm confused. Can you clarify?
The Holy Spirit I SAID has power. What does ALL MIGHTY GOD mean to you? The power is not just the creative ability to speak forth a command and it is so. The mind is powerful, omniscient. The Word is powerful, able to penetrate and transform a person's spirit. When we think of a powerful computer, we think of a massive super computer filled with billions of bits of information. But God has infinite knowledge, which is powerful. So power comes in many ways. Truth is powerful. Light is powerful, it breaks throught the darkness, shines on us and reveals all our sin. The Death and Resurrection of Christ was powerful. Love is powerful. Grace is powerful. Forgiving all sins requires and All Mighty God.
Why am I not seeing any scriptures? Is it because you only believe these things?
I started the thread in the Bible Study section.
I GAVE YOU 38 SCRIPTURES. DID YOU STUDY THEM? Now it seems you reject or just ignore certain ones no matter how significant they are.
You did claim to be Robert Gwin's brother, a Jehovah Witness.

You questioned the scriptures? o_O Seriously?
I question what others claim the scriptures say.
You are not intrepreting my posts correctly. I said I always question my Pastor by going to the scriptures to verify what is said in sermons.

Welcome to the Christian Wall. Do not be intimidated, it's looks high, but if you take one step at a time you will make it to the top. The only thing is you must be born again to climb the wall, otherwise you will just bump into it, get angry, punch it, kick it, reject it, rebuke it. It's built by the Triune God. Seriously!:eek:

Last edited:

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In order to have the holy spirit, you need an accurate knowledge of God's word.
And there it is, your problem. Knowledge does not precede the Spirit. All scripture is spiritually discerned. When we believe that He died for our sins and rose on the third day, we will be saved. The Father will give us the Holy Spirit, the Comforter, the Helper, to guide us. He will give us the truth through scripture. But we must be baptized by the Holy Spirit. Were you baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit? No, be honest, you weren't. I have been to your baptisms and while the dunking is going on, nothing is said, no words. Your baptisms are an empty cerimony and without the Spirit present ... as if He was not invited.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Which scripture are you referring to?

Their spirit is reborn into the family? I don't understand what you are trying to say. Can you elaborate please?

No.
John 3:5

John 1:12

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
Heb 10:4 "For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins." That was symbolic, pointing to Christ.
That's correct.
So because God foreordained this divine will and purpose (Ephesians 1:3-14), and it is a sure thing, God was able to forgive sins even before Christ actually shed his blood (Roman 3:25). Thus the Jews could approach on the basis of of that sacrifice, prefigured by the shadow God himself arranged.

What did the Ark of the Covenant represent? Surely, every Bible reader should know that.
They should also know that Moses spoke with God, "face to face". He went before God. He was the 'go between' God and man.
Exodus 34
8 And Moses made haste, and bowed his head toward the earth, and worshipped. 9 And he said, If now I have found favor in thy sight, O Lord, let the Lord, I pray thee, go in the midst of us; for it is a stiffnecked people; and pardon our iniquity and our sin, and take us for thine inheritance.

The priest too, approached God, on behalf of the people. Leviticus 4:20, 26; Leviticus 3:16
Paul spoke about this at length, in his letters to the Romans, and Hebrews.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's different to being given a sign that Jesus is the holy spirit coming down on Jesus, and Jesus calling from heaven that Jesus is Jesus' son... isn't it

Yeah, I see where your going... but no.

Psa 135:5 For I know that the LORD is great, and that our Lord is above all gods.
Psa 135:6 Whatsoever the LORD pleased, that did he in heaven, and in earth, in the seas, and all deep places.

The Lord in heaven, sent his spirit to the Lord on earth.
This is the same Lord above and below and what binds them is the one and selfsame spirit.

Mat 22:44 The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?

The Lord in heaven said unto my Lord on earth, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make death the dust under your feet.
Mal 4:3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the LORD of hosts.

Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Gal 1:4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:

1Th 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Isa 45:15 Verily thou art a God that hidest thyself, O God of Israel, the Saviour.

Luk 2:11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

2Ti 1:10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

Tit 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

Luk 3:21 Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened,
Luk 3:22 And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.
then there is a whole list of lineage...
Luk 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,
Luk 3:38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

Luk 4:1 And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,

Did Jesus only receive the Holy Ghost at his baptism?
Mat 1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

the child is of the Holy Ghost...

Mat 1:20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

Luk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

1Jo 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

sorry for the flood, I get carried away sometimes...
:rolleyes:

Hugs

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
Yeah, I see where your going... but no.

Psa 135:5 For I know that the LORD is great, and that our Lord is above all gods.
Psa 135:6 Whatsoever the LORD pleased, that did he in heaven, and in earth, in the seas, and all deep places.

The Lord in heaven, sent his spirit to the Lord on earth.
This is the same Lord above and below and what binds them is the one and selfsame spirit.

Mat 22:44 The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?

The Lord in heaven said unto my Lord on earth, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make death the dust under your feet.
Mal 4:3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the LORD of hosts.

Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Gal 1:4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:

1Th 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Isa 45:15 Verily thou art a God that hidest thyself, O God of Israel, the Saviour.

Luk 2:11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

2Ti 1:10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

Tit 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

then there is a whole list of lineage...
Luk 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,
Luk 3:38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

Luk 4:1 And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,

Did Jesus only receive the Holy Ghost at his baptism?
Mat 1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

Mat 1:20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

Luk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

1Jo 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

sorry for the flood, I get carried away sometimes...
:rolleyes:

Hugs
I agree. It looks like you do get carried away... sometimes?
Why not try one at a time. Make your point. Post the scripture, and the explanation of the scripture.
I can't go through an ocean of scriptures and write out why every one you posted disagrees with what you are claiming. :eek: My fingers might get swollen.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. It looks like you do get carried away... sometimes?
Why not try one at a time. Make your point. Post the scripture, and the explanation of the scripture.
I can't go through an ocean of scriptures and write out why every one you posted disagrees with what you are claiming. :eek: My fingers might get swollen.
Take your time..
I'm not going anywhere.
You want scripture, I give you scripture.
You don't want opinion, so...
just take what I wrote in little bites.
I can't explain the bible without quoting the entire bible.
It's all in there. You just have to look for it.

Do you have a shovel for digging?
I have lots of shovels. And my favorite pastime is looking for hidden treasure.
It's in there.. you just have to dig.

Hugs

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
Take your time..
I'm not going anywhere.
You want scripture, I give you scripture.
You don't want opinion, so...
just take what I wrote in little bites.
I can't explain the bible without quoting the entire bible.
It's all in there. You just have to look for it.

Do you have a shovel for digging?
I have lots of shovels. And my favorite pastime is looking for hidden treasure.
It's in there.. you just have to dig.

Hugs
Okay. See you next week. :)

Reactions: Ziggy

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
That is best in my opinion, to rely on the scriptures. They do not often elaborate either. Hebrews 11:1
No. They do elaborate. That letter is quite long.
People later put the letter in verses for their convenience.
So whom do I report the posts of the Administrator to?

Last edited:

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
No. They do elaborate. That letter is quite long.
People later put the letter in verses for their convenience.
So whom do I report the posts of the Administrator to?
I'm sorry if my short replies have offended you, I am not comfortable with long winded discussions that contain opinions when scriptural truth is sufficient.
You can report with the report button under each post. We have more than one admin, though we judge according to the rules and I am careful not to break any.

Since I am not needed I'll be bailing out of this discussion, I hope you can get the answers you are looking for.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where is Goldilocks when you need her? LOL
This one is too long, this one is too short...
HAHAHA
okay, I'm outta here.
HUGS

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
I'm sorry if my short replies have offended you, I am not comfortable with long winded discussions that contain opinions when scriptural truth is sufficient.
You can report with the report button under each post. We have more than one admin, though we judge according to the rules and I am careful not to break any.
I know, thanks. It was really a friendly reminder, but I did not want to soften it, since I believe all staff members would be familiar with the rules, and take the lead in carrying them out, as an example for all of us

Since I am not needed I'll be bailing out of this discussion, I hope you can get the answers you are looking for.
Not needed? I wouldn't say that at all, but I realize you didn't want to "get into it", so I appreciate whatever choice you make, since I want it to be your decision, acting on your desire, and not mine.
Hope to see you again. Hopefully we can agree on something then. :)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In order to have the holy spirit, you need an accurate knowledge of God's word.
Not true. God blesses those he chooses with the Holy Spirit. In fact the Pharisees were well versed in scripture and so is the devil. What matters to God is the heart of a person. Not so much the mind, but that the mind is clean and the heart pure. God leads us to the Holy Spirit and he does'nt use scripture to do it. It is by deed that we are blessed with the Holy Spirit. We learn what actions lead to the holy spirit and what thoughts drive it away. By giving to the poor and obeying the simple commandments that you should already know to obey from your heart. You don't need the bible too much to know what's right and wrong.

Acts 2:17

And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Last edited: