What is Legalism?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Legalism is when the bigoted say I got all the answers, and those who don’t agree are headed to hell.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The term is used often. But what exactly is it according to Scripture?

We are lawful and law-abiding citizens of the commonwealth of Israel. We keep God's law and commandments by faith of salvation.

In 2 Cor 3, When Scripture says the 'letter kills', it was speaking of the law and of the Old Covenant itself, pertaining to that which was written upon stone tables.

These tables were called the ministry of condemnation and death and have been done away, and the new testament is the ministry of the Spirit and righteousness.

The weakness of the law was the flesh in that it could not justify anyone, only condemn that that transgressed. It could not minister faith and life, but only death and condemnation to them that did not obey.

It was called the law of carnal commandment (Heb 7:16), in that it only could command outward obedience, not inward faith, but the new covenant is made with the power of an endless life.

And so inward faith and Spirit of life is the power of God that begins salvation and outward obedience to His law and commandments.

Therefore, 'legalism' would be holding to the law outwardly only, without inward faith, seeking to be justified by the outward works of the law only.

Legalism is therefore without faith nor Spirit nor life, but only outward obedience. It is a hard and cold way to exist.

It's good to obey but far better to believe, love, and obey: O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day. (Psalms 119)

And since legalism is keeping there works of the law with faith, then it will always end in failure of transgression; therefore, the true legalist is without mercy, neither for himself nor for others, and they are forever looking for transgression to condemn.

And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage. (Gal 2)

But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless. (Matthew 12)

Obeying the letter only brings certain condemnation and death: walking after the flesh.

Walking after the Spirit is life fulfilling the righteousness of God, with blessing in this life and forever.

What is Legalism? Makes me think of “made by hands” in Ephesians 2:11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

Colossians 2:10-12 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: [11] In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: [12] Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is Legalism? Makes me think of “made by hands” in Ephesians 2:11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

Colossians 2:10-12 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: [11] In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: [12] Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
Yes the circumcision made with hands (Jews),,, calling Gentiles which God has circumcised the heart,,,, uncircumcised.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Your so very right.. He doesn’t dwell in temples/mansions made with hands.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Legalism is when the bigoted say I got all the answers, and those who don’t agree are headed to hell.

There is no biblical legalism. If you are wondering if you are doing wrong, the Bible will tell you. At no point when Christ and the Apostles are discussing morality or sin do they follow with...whatever you do, do not take this too serious. Immorality can send you down the path to hell....and no human...no body needs to tell you....The Bible will tell you. There is no such thing as legalist scriptures, just facts.

Last edited:
Reactions: amigo de christo

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And so a form of legalism would be relying on outward obedience to law to justify without faith? As well as judging others according to outward appearance only?

Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no biblical legalism.
That's what I've been thinking. This isn't Biblical terminology, so it's going mean whatever it means to the person using it. For myself I'd say, at the moment, it means to seek relationship with God based on anything a person does outside of relying on what Jesus did.

And yes, I think you said it well, if you are wrong about something, the Bible WILL tell you!

Much love!

Reactions: Grailhunter

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no biblical legalism. If wondering if you are doing wrong, the Bible will tell you. At no point when Christ and the Apostles are discussing morality or sin do they follow with...whatever you do, do not take this too serious. Immorality can send you down the path to hell....and no human...no body needs to tell you....The Bible will tell you. There is no such thing as legalist scriptures, just facts.
So when one uses the bible to expose the error and sin , its not legalism .
exactly .
To correct one is not legalism . To warn and tell one that they must believe in Christ to be saved is not legalism .
To warn another religion that it is in grave danger is not legalism .
To correct the RCC and others who preach another JESUS , is not legalism .
You are correct .

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And so a form of legalism would be relying on outward obedience to law to justify without faith? As well as judging others according to outward appearance only?

Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.
Maybe I might define Legalism as, trying to obtain by obedience what God gives for free to those who will receive it that way.

Much love!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So when one uses the bible to expose the error and sin , its not legalism .
Exactly. But the people that prescribe to this legalism junk are convicted by the scriptures, take offense. So if you quote scriptures they label you a legalist. It is kind of like the whole cancel culture thing. They do not want the truth spoken or quoted. Their intent is to silence the Word of God. No one should reference the truth....believe what they want you to believe.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly. But the people that prescribe to this legalism junk are convicted by the scriptures, take offense. So if you quote scriptures they label you a legalist. It is kind of like the whole cancel culture thing. They do not want the truth spoken or quoted. Their intent is to silence the Word of God. No one should reference the truth....believe what they want you to believe.
I don’t think so. The problem with your perspective is this. The offense comes when an individual believes the alleged truth professor actual intent is to bring them under bondage….. like with you and Ferris where he’s telling you from a position of authority that if you don’t perform the laws of God as he see fit then your road kill.

All the while he’s using the word of God to present to you the truth?

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 17:1-2 KJV
[1] Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come! [2] It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and Ferris where he’s telling you from a position of authority that if you don’t perform the laws of God as he see fit then your road kill.
You mean as God sees fit, right? God has not left us in clouds of mystery as to what we have to do to not be condemned, and how we are to please him in everything else. I know most Christians will tell you that's not true, but it is true. They are servicing an ungodly agenda of rebellion and unbelief. It's called 'Progressive Christianity'. IMO, it's the prophesied ruin of the church in the end time. It's happening right before our eyes. I mean of those who can see.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t think so. The problem with your perspective is this. The offense comes when an individual believes the alleged truth professor actual intent is to bring them under bondage….. like with you and Ferris where he’s telling you from a position of authority that if you don’t perform the laws of God as he see fit then your road kill.

All the while he’s using the word of God to present to you the truth?

Well, you need to read my past posts. You do not need for me or anyone else to tell you about what is right and what is wrong. Just read the Bible, it comes with its own authority. And again we have no laws. We have what Christ and the Apostles taught us.

One of the reasons that the Mosaic Laws failed is that, even though there were 613 of them, there was not enough to cover every circumstance. Christ's teaching are thoughts....thoughts of the mind and heart. The morals presented are clear and concise. And it not up to me or Ferris whether you go to hell or not. In the end you will be standing in front of Christ, we all will be standing in front of Christ and our deeds will be judged fairly.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mean as God sees fit, right? God has not left us in clouds of mystery as to what we have to do to not be condemned, and how we are to please him in everything else. I know most Christians will tell you that's not true, but it is true. They are servicing an ungodly agenda of rebellion and unbelief. It's called 'Progressive Christianity'. IMO, it's the prophesied ruin of the church in the end time. It's happening right before our eyes. I mean of those who can see.
Galatians 6:13 KJV
[13] For neither they themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have you circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh.
I believe this scripture sums it all up.

Reactions: marks

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the end you will be standing in front of Christ, we all will be standing in front of Christ and our deeds will be judged fairly.
Well, we only have differing opinions. In my perspective with Christ there is no end, and we are standing before Him now in unquenchable fire.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, we only have differing opinions. In my perspective with Christ there is no end, and we are standing before Him now in unquenchable fire.

Well, we only have differing opinions.
LOL I would not recommend saying that to Christ on Judgment Day. I will assure you that there are few opinions in the Bible.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 6:13 KJV
[13] For neither they themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have you circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh.
I believe this scripture sums it all up.
That does indeed.

Some would have you let go of a pure faith in Christ, as though He were not sufficient.

Christ is made unto us righteousness, and sanctification. Who thinks that they can add to that?

Much love!

Reactions: Waiting on him