What is the best translation of the Bible to read?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not with you. I never mentioned John 3:16. Why does the understanding of the allegorical elements of the Bible make someone an atheist?

Would you define yourself more as a Gnostic or simply an occultist? You list as "Christian," so your brand of Christianity would have to be some modified form of Gnosticism, of which there are now many.

Interested in your response.
Hidden

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What? That sounds like something from an Atheist. So you don't believe John 3:16?

Not with you. I never mentioned John 3:16. Why does the understanding of the allegorical elements of the Bible make someone an atheist?

To give yourself credit, it is the gnostic elements and nonliteral criticism in your post that demands a response.

... the Bible is in no small part a collection of cryptic, allegorical and encoded secrets and messages ... If you are reading the work as a regular book, taking the lines literally, then the meaning will never be revealed. But if you read it like a crossword puzzle and understand the "language" and allegorical terms used and what they really mean, then the message becomes clear. Genesis for example contains a great deal of allegorical secrets.

Perhaps a separate thread is in order so you can explain to us what the Bible REALLY means and reveal all the cryptic secrets.

Reactions: kcnalp

Whetstone

Feb 10, 2021
Out There Somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Would you define yourself more as a Gnostic or simply an occultist? You list as "Christian," so your brand of Christianity would have to be some modified form of Gnosticism, of which there are now many.

Interested in your response.
Hidden

In truth I've never sought to try and pigeonhole myself into anyone else's stereotyping of brands or flavours of Christianity. I really don't think that is a good way to be. I strive to be flexible and keep an open and enquiring mind. After all:

Isaiah 64:8

But now, O Lord, You are our Father,
We are the clay, and You our potter;
And all of us are the work of Your hand.

We can't be moulded by the potter if we are rigid and clinging to some shape or form that is prescribed for us by others imho.

I consider myself to be on a journey and I go wherever God takes me. I find inspiration from all manner of other brands/flavours of Christianity and indeed other religions and belief systems. If I had pigeonholed myself and worn blinkers then I would not know many things which have now been revealed to me.

I'm certainly not an occultist. That the Bible contains many themes and many references to alchemy is not something I can change. I wasn't the author ! It is what it is.

ATB

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm certainly not an occultist. That the Bible contains many themes and many references to alchemy is not something I can change. I wasn't the author ! It is what it is.

ATB

:)

You might be able to change it if you try viewing things from a different perspective. But enough on that for now.
In truth I've never sought to try and pigeonhole myself into anyone else's stereotyping of brands or flavors of Christianity... We can't be moulded by the potter if we are rigid and clinging to some shape or form that is prescribed for us by others imho.

These statements are good, and I actually agree with them in some ways. Just keep in mind that the same can be said for those who are far more orthodox in their theology than you are, but don't necessarily hold to everything taught in mainline Christianity today.

Thanks for the frank and honest discussion,
Hidden In Him

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I agree with 101G. The best translation for me is the KJV.
And I would second that. I generally do not watch videos, so I cannot comment on that. But I will be more than happy to explain why the King James Bible is still the most reliable and trustworthy.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I would second that. I generally do not watch videos, so I cannot comment on that. But I will be more than happy to explain why the King James Bible is still the most reliable and trustworthy.
Amen, and I would third that! Praise HIM, And MAGNIFY His Pure Word Above
All Else!! (Psalms 138 : 2 KJB!)

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you think is the best version of the bible to read? Does it make a difference? I shared some insight into this in a short 3.5-minute video. Let me know what you think is there a right or wrong one and why?

I concluded for myself years ago, that it is not about which one is best, but rather about choosing One single translation to be the final authority of God's Word for you. Otherwise, we just skip around until we find someone who translated what we wanted to think and believe and do anyway.

So, choose the one that you like the most, and make it your standard of Scripture, and endeavor to not waiver from your own commitment to it as the final say so...

(And if you don't choose the KJV you can kiss heaven goodbye. :D:D You know I am joking)

Reactions: Mark Balicki

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is the best translator of his own word. Can you imagine just for a minute when the church first began there were no bibles to read like we have today. The Bible today is the result of Old Testament scriptures. But yet God reveals his word to the unlearned and uneducated. People who split hairs on words are using men’s translation. Let me give you an example of this. The word faith at the time it was written meant the same thing as trust. Over the years man has taken that word to mean only an acknowledgment of God which does away with its true meaning.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I concluded for myself years ago, that it is not about which one is best, but rather about choosing One single translation to be the final authority of God's Word for you.

Bad advice. Very bad advice. I came to the EXACT opposite conclusion. And realize no one translation always most appeals to me.

In fact, I have a booklet on Proverbs that encourages one to refer to different translations precisely because they capture different nuances of language. They used NLT, CEV and KJV to show the subtle difference in meaning.

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
During my spiritual journey.. from 1970's.
- I started with NASB, Amplified Bible & KJV.
- Used many translations.. over the years.
- Currently.. NIV & NKJV.

Mark Balicki

Jun 6, 2020
IRON MOUNTAIN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I concluded for myself years ago, that it is not about which one is best, but rather about choosing One single translation to be the final authority of God's Word for you. Otherwise, we just skip around until we find someone who translated what we wanted to think and believe and do anyway.

So, choose the one that you like the most, and make it your standard of Scripture, and endeavor to not waiver from your own commitment to it as the final say so...

(And if you don't choose the KJV you can kiss heaven goodbye. :D:D You know I am joking)
I agree with you. I have read several translations each for a number of years multiple times in a year for now 30 years. Studying the scripture, reading the stories and watching for God's interaction with men and seeking to know the why, what and when. I believe studying it...to know vs reading it...because has caused me have great discernment. Humanity hasn't change nor has God and you can know the outcome of behavior and God's response to it. I am so thankful for the written word, but the living word is equal as important and comes through the testimonies of our lives.
"You are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read by all men; clearly you are an epistle of Christ, ministered by us, written not with ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of flesh, that is, of the heart." 2 Cor 3:2-3

Jlentz

May 6, 2021
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
kjv is only English translation. All the others are merely interpretations of the Khmer.

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read what some call the "Bullinger" Bbile. Is known as the "Companion" Bible (lots of footnotes, commentarys and appendixes). Along with "Strong's Exhaustive Concordance." (Strong's for the strong.....Young's for the young :)) Strong's was made to work specifically for the KJV.

And quite recently, the "World English" Bible.

Reactions: Mark Balicki