What is the best translation of the Bible to read?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mark Balicki

Jun 6, 2020
IRON MOUNTAIN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you think is the best version of the bible to read? Does it make a difference? I shared some insight into this in a short 3.5-minute video. Let me know what you think is there a right or wrong one and why?

Reactions: Renniks

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nope, get FIRST, the TRANSLATOR, who knows all WORDS, and knows all languages, for he made all of them, the Holy Ghost. next get youself a KJV. that's all.
and under his guidance he will reveal unto you all and everything you will need to know about his word. 2 Timothy 3:16 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"
2 Timothy 3:17 "That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works."

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

Gregory

Jan 8, 2021
utah
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nope, get FIRST, the TRANSLATOR, who knows all WORDS, and knows all languages, for he made all of them, the Holy Ghost. next get youself a KJV. that's all.
and under his guidance he will reveal unto you all and everything you will need to know about his word. 2 Timothy 3:16 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"
2 Timothy 3:17 "That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works."

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"
I agree with 101G. The best translation for me is the KJV.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mark Balicki I also use the KJV, but I do understand what you said in your video. Strictly in the flesh different words from different languages can be helpful. But it is God using those words of the various languages to get His message through to us. So then a master even of the original written languages of scripture who knows the Bible well can and does miss God's message. Satan quoted from a psalm [ps. 91] written by a man as inspired by God, but Satan's quotation missed the mark because he spoke without the inspiration of the Holy Ghost. Jesus rebuked him with the Living Word of God [Matt 4:6-7].

I read my Bibles regularly in three languages [English, German and Spanish] and it is as you say very helpful, but without the Holy Ghost I would know nothing at all from my Bible reading and studies.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you think is the best version of the bible to read? Does it make a difference? I shared some insight into this in a short 3.5-minute video. Let me know what you think is there a right or wrong one and why?

Maybe some insight you might post? I don't generally watch videos.

Much love!

Reactions: Mark Balicki

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I am going to read it outload at a Christian "get together" the Gideon Authorized King James Version is scriptures put to poetry.

If it is for study...New American Standard-Study Bible.

If it is for research....we actually have large books that have photo copies of the actual texts....and beyond that a library.

Last edited:

Mark Balicki

Jun 6, 2020
IRON MOUNTAIN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for everyone comments so far. Myself, I have read the KJV, NIV, NKJ, NLT, and now HCSB each for a number of years and in a year I read through the bible a least 2 times and some parts of it 3 times year and when I want to know more a may look up a word or content myself in hebrew or greek or in multiple other versions using online searches.
My hopes is people read the word. I don't know if you think like I do? but I think your hungry to know the Lord is evident in your desire to read the scriptures.
I will share something you may find interesting. My wife grew up in africa and didn't really have the bible herself as one of the main sources of knowing God. She would rely on preachers that would come and share the word. But yet she knows God as intimately as do. It has been very evident in our marriage. Even though her lack of the knowledge of the word (though she reads now) has been my joy when I share with her things from the word and how she finds it so interesting when she see truths revealed in the scriptures she already lives or knows found explained.
Her main with interacting in her relationship with God has been primarily through prayer and worship. And God shows her what to do. It has been interesting to me as well how the love of God and her desire to live pleasing before Him is just as strong as my desire to do the same. Like I said, it shows up in our marriage. It makes you realize how blessed we are to have the scriptures, but how much more blessed to have the Holy Spirit. And how the early Christians managed without all our different printed and now online versions.

Mark Balicki

Jun 6, 2020
IRON MOUNTAIN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grace And Peace, Mark. Thanks so much for your Very Important Question:

Why I read/study God's PURE Word: Authorized Version!

brother Chris
Thanks for sharing on the subject. My hopes is believers who believe read some version and study it or they will be more susceptible to believe anything. Thank God that His Spirit leads us into all truth, but if Jesus leads we still have to follow, right? o_O Sounds like you love the word as do I and am so thankful for it what help!

Reactions: amadeus

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Authorized (King James) Version

It has more inspired words in it.

It is the best rendering of God’s word in our lifetime in English.

All other translations merely satisfy curiosities and provide options to depart from uniformity.

Last edited:

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus
For serious study, it is best to stay with a "conservative" translation that tries to stay as close to the original languages as possible (Greek/Hebrew). I like NAS and ESV for study. Some other translations are okay for reading. I've read the NLT and the NIV in the past and I'm enjoying the CSB now.

Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will have to listen to this tomorrow. I have questioned the same thing and learned quite a bit from this other thread.

Dynamic and expressive equivalence, how to use a Greek dictionary, and different documents used in the translations. Everyone gave some excellent input. So much, I use KJV again more often. It is easier to look words up in the Greek, which is fun. NASB is still my favorite as far as understanding, but The Message...surprisingly I absolutely love it.

Bible Translation Study

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the best translation is the one someone reads and applies to their lives...grows closer to God with.

Reactions: amadeus

Mark Balicki

Jun 6, 2020
IRON MOUNTAIN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have 37 English translations. They are quite consistent. KJV is DIFFICULT!!!
Yes, I read King James for awhile and I agree. Many of the other versions like you said are consistent. They give you insight and then time, Spirit of God and our won experiences proving the truths allow the other version out there draw our heart and mind to Christ Jesus. Mostly whatever version you have requires you to read it or it will be of no use.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I read King James for awhile and I agree. Many of the other versions like you said are consistent. They give you insight and then time, Spirit of God and our won experiences proving the truths allow the other version out there draw our heart and mind to Christ Jesus. Mostly whatever version you have requires you to read it or it will be of no use.
I love comparing translations. Even though they are somewhat "different" they show different angles of what God said for better understanding.

Whetstone

Feb 10, 2021
Out There Somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I vote for the KJB

But I will say this. If you don't first understand that the Bible is in no small part a collection of cryptic, allegorical and encoded secrets and messages then it won't really matter what version you have. If you are reading the work as a regular book, taking the lines literally, then the meaning will never be revealed. But if you read it like a crossword puzzle and understand the "language" and allegorical terms used and what they really mean, then the message becomes clear. Genesis for example contains a great deal of allegorical secrets. It's not talking about the creation of the universe imho and neither is the story of Noah's Ark literal. It's all allegorical. So too are the parables that Jesus told, which is why he cryptically said that you need "ears to hear". imho.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I vote for the KJB

But I will say this. If you don't first understand that the Bible is in no small part a collection of cryptic, allegorical and encoded secrets and messages then it won't really matter what version you have. If you are reading the work as a regular book, taking the lines literally, then the meaning will never be revealed. But if you read it like a crossword puzzle and understand the "language" and allegorical terms used and what they really mean, then the message becomes clear. Genesis for example contains a great deal of allegorical secrets. It's not talking about the creation of the universe imho and neither is the story of Noah's Ark literal. It's all allegorical. So too are the parables that Jesus told, which is why he cryptically said that you need "ears to hear". imho.
What? That sounds like something from an Atheist. So you don't believe John 3:16?

Reactions: Rudometkin