What is the Danger of New Age Contamination of Christian Spirituality?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now you are showing your true colors. Which means that your opinions are of little or no value to Christians who believe that the Bible is SUFFICIENT for every Christian, and for all things pertaining to life and godliness. This is not evangelical ignorance, but you are showing unbiblical arrogance by making such a statement.
You have faith in a book? There is no eternal life in the Bible. Go ahead, search the scriptures but I tell you you need to find what they testify about. The Bible itself says so, but you don't seem to have believed that part.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Reactions: amadeus

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the contrary, I am far better trained in Scripture than you are. I know Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek as well as other relevant ancient languages and am thoroughly immersed in the culturally relevant Jewish and Greco-Roman background literature. I have a Masters degree in Theology from Princeton and a Harvard doctorate in New Testament, Jewish backgrounds, and Greco-Roman backgrounds, and have been a pastor and theology professor for many years. Yet I am an Evangelical Pentecostal and a retired United Methodist pastor who has experience in street and door-to-door evangelism. So it is not "arrogance" but established competence that motivates me.

On the other hand, you apparently are deficient in reading comprehension. You wrongly assume that because I recognize the incompleteness of biblical revelation, I also regard the Bible as insufficient for faith and life and you are apparently not sufficiently into the Word to recognize the many ways biblical revelation is "incomplete." Thankfully, the ministry and gifts of the Holy Spirit are still available to guide us in the ways we must fill in the gaps of our spiritual knowledge.

Please, Please, do not receive this as a slant! I am not educated as many, and your response, at first seemed arrogant!
I truly believe in refuting, not rebuking, and I after reading your response and contemplating what you said, I realized that you did refute the other party.
I have had the pleasure of studying under a few with your understanding, very few!
Devote Men, that have diligently searched for the Truth!

Reactions: Giuliano and Nancy

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
new age is not so new i will listen to a variety of preachers over the years .i cut my teeth on strong word teaching . i use a rule of thumb that a old preacher man use to say. preaching is like eating chicken eat the meat throw the bones away. this day and age person best have some discernment. deception is alive and well i have listened to joyce myers Rick Warren i dont trust . person needs be on guard

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You have faith in a book? There is no eternal life in the Bible.
Now you are showing your true colors (and ignorance).

For the [written] Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in His sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. (Heb 4:12,13)

That He [Christ] might sanctify and cleanse it [the Church] with the washing of water by the [written] Word (Eph 5:26)

And take the helmet of salvation, and the Sword of the Spirit, which is the [written] Word of God: (Eph 6:17)

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now you are showing your true colors (and ignorance).

For the [written] Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in His sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. (Heb 4:12,13)

That He [Christ] might sanctify and cleanse it [the Church] with the washing of water by the [written] Word (Eph 5:26)

And take the helmet of salvation, and the Sword of the Spirit, which is the [written] Word of God: (Eph 6:17)
I love how you add words to the Bible.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread is instructive in at least 4 ways:
(1) It illustrates how muddle-headed many Fundamentalists are about what is encompassed by the expression "New Age movement."
(2) It illustrates how Fundamentalists simplistically use "New Age" as a vague dirty word to slander godly ministers that they don't like or disagree with, or think go beyond biblical mandates and teachings.
(3) It illustrates a widespread Evangelical ignorance of the limited and incomplete nature of biblical revelation. Claims of biblical inspiration do not include a claim of revelatory completeness. Many ethical (e. g. abortion) and doctrinal questions (e. g. the inspiration of the New Testament canon as opposed to the Old Testament) are not explicitly addressed in Scripture and are therefore hotly debated and thus inspire denominational multiplicity.
(4) Many important how-to questions are left unanswered in Scripture and lead to the charge of New Age contamination when believers try to fill in the how-to gaps: e. g.
(a) How should I pray and meditate? Jesus offers the Lord's Prayer as a content model for prayer, but says little about the emotions and methods of the life of prayer and meditation.
(b) Paul tells us to display "the fruit of the Spirit" and to "zealously strive for spiritual gifts," but does not offer specifics on how to seek them.
(c) The Bible repeatedly tells us that we need faith for effective Christian living and effective petitionary prayer, but offers little explicit advice on how to acquire this faith and how to overcome the honest doubts and skepticism that pose barriers to this faith.

Mere borrowing or application of pagan and occult practices to the Christian faith does not in itself make those practices wrong or non-Christian. In my next few planned posts I will illustrate how Gospel tradition borrows from the occult and pagan world.

Oh, my, I guess this comment (in the quote box) was at least partially referring to me and my comment in this thread. I didn't see it until today.

While I see that most of your statement disparages some of us making comments in this thread, I'm going to zero in on your last sentence. I completely disagree that God doesn't have a problem with Christians copying pagan and occult practices, which were designed to make connections with the demonic realm. Why would God lead His people to use practices created for this purpose? I really don't think He needs for His followers to be copycats of the occult.

BTW, Rick Warren promotes "Christian mysticism," aka contemplative spirituality, in The Purpose Driven Life. In this book he quotes widely from the mystics and teaches "breath prayers," a form of mantra meditation. This type of meditation can lead to altered consciousness, which is central to the occult because it opens a person to demonic oppression/possession.

If you do as the pagans/occultists do, you will eventually get what they get--demonic possession. And we know that Satan masquerades as an angel of light. So, it may not seem demonic at first. It may FEEL like a good thing, but sooner or later, the person begins to experience the destructive side of demonic influence--mental and physical illness, or even death.

Participating in occult practices is condemned in the Bible for a reason. God would not have His children do as the pagans do and be plunged into the darkness of the occult. Those who choose to partake do so at their own peril.

New Age mysticism is a modern version of the same old worn-out occult beliefs and practices that have been around since the Egyptian mystery religions, and possibly before. Second verse same as the first.... New Age promises a better life, but in truth, it steals, kills and destroys like every other occult belief system.

I urge all who are into the occult in any way or who are thinking about taking the plunge, please reconsider. If you are seeking a deeper understanding of God or desire to experience Him in a deeper way, the occult will never give you what you seek. New Age practices will NOT lead you into a better relationship with Jesus Christ, but will lead you away from Him and His truth.

Last edited:

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you can read, you can see he added words.
i can read very well everything is scripture only thing he done was { red letters written } your claim < You have faith in a book? There is no eternal life in the Bible. Go ahead, search the scriptures but I tell you you need to find what they testify about. The Bible itself says so, but you don't seem to have believed that part. > one part you say this
You have faith in a book? There is no eternal life in the Bible
then you have. search the scriptures for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
the Bible is full of scriptures . your very confusing it appears may be double minded

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i can read very well everything is scripture only thing he done was { red letters written } your claim < You have faith in a book? There is no eternal life in the Bible. Go ahead, search the scriptures but I tell you you need to find what they testify about. The Bible itself says so, but you don't seem to have believed that part. > one part you say this then you have. search the scriptures for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
the Bible is full of scriptures . your very confusing it appears may be double minded
Yes, Jesus is talked about in the Bible. He's not the Bible. The Bible isn't going to save anyone.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Jesus is talked about in the Bible. He's not the Bible. The Bible isn't going to save anyone.
John 1 King James Version (KJV)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. yes jesus is the word

ohn 6:62-64 King James Version (KJV)
62 What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?

63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Like Rita, the term New Age says to me crystals and angel worship and other doubtful spirituality. But the whole discussion brought to mind this passage from Daniel:

Daniel 2:40-44

40 Finally, there will be a fourth kingdom, strong as iron – for iron breaks and smashes everything – and as iron breaks things to pieces, so it will crush and break all the others. 41 Just as you saw that the feet and toes were partly of baked clay and partly of iron, so this will be a divided kingdom; yet it will have some of the strength of iron in it, even as you saw iron mixed with clay. 42 As the toes were partly iron and partly clay, so this kingdom will be partly strong and partly brittle. 43 And just as you saw the iron mixed with baked clay, so the people will be a mixture and will not remain united, any more than iron mixes with clay. 44 ‘In the time of those kings, the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed, nor will it be left to another people. It will crush all those kingdoms and bring them to an end, but it will itself endure for ever.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 1 King James Version (KJV)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. yes jesus is the word

ohn 6:62-64 King James Version (KJV)
62 What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?

63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
You think then that the Bible was with God in the beginning?

Notice too that Jesus said the words he spoke were spirit and life. Spoke, not wrote.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think then that the Bible was with God in the beginning?

Notice too that Jesus said the words he spoke were spirit and life. Spoke, not wrote.

Much of the Bible was spoken first, and then written. I don't believe there's any difference in terms of spoken or written words being the Word of God.

Also, it's not the physical book (i.e. cardboard and paper) that saves. The words in the book are the Word of God--the truth. This is what saves. Jesus is the Word. Every word He spoke ushered forth from His nature--who He is. So, we can say that all of His words are the truth like He is the truth....

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Beware the sin of bibliolatry! How ironic that most Fundamentalists are so indifferent to God's true Word that they refuse to even investigate the scholarly consensus that the KJV is based on the latest and most corrupt Hebrew and Greek Bible manuscripts!

Reactions: Giuliano

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Much of the Bible was spoken first, and then written. I don't believe there's any difference in terms of spoken or written words being the Word of God.

Also, it's not the physical book (i.e. cardboard and paper) that saves. The words in the book are the Word of God--the truth. This is what saves. Jesus is the Word. Every word He spoke ushered forth from His nature--who He is. So, we can say that all of His words are the truth like He is the truth....
Remember now, "faith cometh by hearing. . . ."

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember now, "faith cometh by hearing. . . ."
I think you're splitting hairs. Most of us were not around when Jesus spoke the words recorded in the Bible.... :D

We can hear with our ears, and we can "hear" with our minds. We read them with our eyes, but it has the same impact as hearing them with our ears. IOW, His words, heard or read, are truth.

For me, saving faith came by reading (hearing in my mind) the words of Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew.

Last edited:

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you're splitting hairs. Most of us were not around when Jesus spoke the words recorded in the Bible.... :D
I think most of us also heard someone speaking.

We can hear with our ears, and we can "hear" with our minds. We read them with our minds, but it has the same impact as hearing them with our ears. IOW, His words, heard or read, are truth.

For me, saving faith came by reading the words of Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew.
I am not saying reading the Bible isn't helpful since God can use it, but we shouldn't think the Bible itself is God. Some people have Bibles and it doesn't them any good.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think most of us also heard someone speaking.

I am not saying reading the Bible isn't helpful since God can use it, but we shouldn't think the Bible itself is God. Some people have Bibles and it doesn't them any good.
You're right about Bibles not doing us any good--if we don't read them.

Like I said before, God's Word is who He is. Otherwise, why did Jesus say, "I am the...truth..."? He didn't only speak the truth; HE IS THE TRUTH!

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're right about Bibles not doing us any good--if we don't read them.

Like I said before, God's Word is who He is. Otherwise, why did Jesus say, "I am the...truth..."? He didn't only speak the truth; HE IS THE TRUTH!
Can you answer, "Truth about what?"