What is the difference between a Jew and a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eliyahu613

Apr 14, 2020
Judea
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Israel
Bs"d

It is very simple: A Jew can count to two, and a Christian cannot.

A Jew knows that 1 + 1 = 2, and a Christian thinks that 1 + 1 + 1 = 1.

A Jew knows that a God the Father and a god the son is two (2!) gods. A Christian thinks that a God the Father and a god the son and a god the holy ghost is only one God.

When you can count to two you cannot be a polytheist and therefore not a Christian.

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bs"d

A Jew knows that a God the Father and a god the son is two (2!) gods. A Christian thinks that a God the Father and a god the son and a god the holy ghost is only one God.

When you can count to two you cannot be a polytheist and therefore not a Christian.
The Jews are "goats" and the Christians are "sheep":

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. Then the king will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world;...Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels;...And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” (Matt 25:31-34, 41, 46 NRSV)

Christian doctrine is ONE God, Three Persons are God. Who can describe, define and explain "spirit" and demonstrate to us that God who is Spirit, cannot be Three Persons. We mortals can only think in terms of the material, the physical. Who are we to deny the clear statements of Scripture about the Three Persons who each are God, who is Spirit?

"Then God said, 'Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.'” (Gen 1:26 NRSV)

"And God said, let us make man in our image, after our likeness,.... These words are directed not to the earth, out of which man was made, as consulting with it, and to be assisting in the formation of man, as Moses Gerundensis, and other Jewish writers {f}, which is wretchedly stupid; nor to the angels, as the Targum of Jonathan, Jarchi, and others, who are not of God's privy council, nor were concerned in any part of the creation, and much less in the more noble part of it: nor are the words spoken after the manner of kings, as Saadiah, using the plural number as expressive of honour and majesty; since such a way of speaking did not obtain very early, not even till the close of the Old Testament: but they are spoken by God the Father to the Son and Holy Ghost, who were each of them concerned in the creation of all things, and particularly of man: hence we read of divine Creators and Makers in the plural number, Job 35:10 and Philo the Jew acknowledges that these words declare a plurality, and are expressive of others, being co-workers with God in creation {g}: and man being the principal part of the creation, and for the sake of whom the world, and all things in it were made, and which being finished, he is introduced into it as into an house ready prepared and furnished for him; a consultation is held among the divine Persons about the formation of him; not because of any difficulty attending it, but as expressive of his honour and dignity; it being proposed he should be made not in the likeness of any of the creatures already made, but as near as could be in the likeness and image of God."
John Gill

Eliyahu613

Apr 14, 2020
Judea
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Israel
Christian doctrine is ONE God, Three Persons are God.

Bs"d

That might be Christian doctrine, but Biblical doctrine is that there is ONE God who IS one:

"Hear Israel, Y-H-W-H is our God, Y-H-W-H is ONE!" Deut 6:4

"Listen, Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is One" Holman Christian Standard Bible

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one." English Standard Version

"Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one!" New American Standard Bible

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one." New International Version

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one!" New King James Version"

"And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, "Which commandment is the first of all?" Jesus answered, "The first is, `Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, THE LORD IS ONE; and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.' The second is this, `You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these." And the scribe said to him, "You are right, Teacher; you have truly said that HE IS ONE, and there is no other but he; and to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the strength, and to love one's neighbor as oneself, is much more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices." And when Jesus saw that he answered wisely, he said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God."" Mark 12:28-34 Revised Standard Version

“The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one." .... "You are right in saying that God is one" New International Version

"Here is the most important one. Moses said, 'Israel, listen to me. The Lord is our God. The Lord is one." .... "You are right in saying that God is one." New International Readers Version

"Jesus answered: Listen, Israel! The Lord our God, The Lord is One." .... "You have correctly said that He is One," Holman Christian Standard Bible

"Jesus answered, The first is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God, the Lord is one:" .... "thou hast well said that he is one;" American Standard Version

"Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is one." New King James Version

"Jesus answered, "The most important is, 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one" .... "You have truly said that he is one," English Standard Version

"Jesus said, "The first in importance is, 'Listen, Israel: The Lord your God is one;" .... "A wonderful answer, Teacher! So lucid and accurate—that God is one" The Message

"‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one." .... “You are right in saying that God is one" New International Version

"Now an intermediary implies more than one; but GOD IS ONE." Gal 3:20 Revised Standard Version

"Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but GOD IS ONE" King James Version

"A mediator, however, implies more than one party; but GOD IS ONE." New International Version

"Now an intermediary implies more than one, but GOD IS ONE." English Standard Version

"Now a mediator is not a mediator of one; but GOD IS ONE." American Standard Version

"and the mediator is not of one, and GOD IS ONE" Youngs Literal Translation

"You believe that GOD IS ONE; you do well." James 2:19 Revised Standard Version

"thou -- thou dost believe that GOD IS ONE; thou dost well," Youngs Literal translation

"Thou believest that GOD IS ONE; thou doest well:" American Standard Version

"You believe that GOD IS ONE; you do well." Holman Christian Standard Bible.

"Thou* believest that GOD IS ONE. Thou doest well." Darby Translation.

"It’s good that you believe that GOD IS ONE." Common English Bible

"You believe that GOD IS ONE; you do well." English Standard Version

"You believe that GOD IS ONE; you do well." Amplified Bible

"You believe that GOD IS ONE You do well;" New American Standard Bible

So the Bible teaches clearly that God is ONE. And therefore not three persons.

"And J-e-h-o-v-a-h shall be King over all the earth: in that day shall J-e-h-o-v-a-h be one, and his name one." Zach 14:9 American Standard Version

"And the LORD shall be King over all the earth. In that day it shall be— “The LORD is one, And His name one." New King James Version

"And the LORD will be king over all the earth. On that day the LORD will be one and his name one." English Standard Version

"And the Lord shall be King over all the earth; in that day the Lord shall be one [in the recognition and worship of men] and His name one." Amplified Bible
"Then God said, 'Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.'” (Gen 1:26 NRSV)

"And God said, let us make man in our image, after our likeness,....

Genesis 1:26; "Let us make man" If anybody finds in a text the word "us", would any normal person assume that it refers to one person with a multi-personality disorder? Of course not.

But why then, when Christians see the word "us" in the Bible, do they think that?

Gen 1:26 is used as a 'proof' that there is more than one God, or one God who is not one, eventhough the Bible clearly teaches that there is only one God who is one. and despite the fact that there are several other valid explanations for the plural word "us". One explanation is that it is a majestic plural as used by kings. Another possible explanation is that God was talking to the angels.

Some Christians try to refute the last argument by saying that the angels didn't create. They point to Genesis 1:1; "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." They say: 'God was the creator, and not the angels.' However, it is a given in Jewish law that an emissary is equal to the one who sends him. When a Jewish man marries a woman through an agent, the legal effect is the same as when he marries her personally. A good Biblical example of this is to be found in Genesis 19 where is spoken about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. God sent two angels to destroy the cities, the angels said to Lot in verse 13: "For we are about to destroy this place, because the outcry against its people has become great before the LORD, and the LORD has sent us to destroy it." Upon this Lot says to his sons in law: "Up, get out of this place; for the LORD is about to destroy the city." Lot didn't say: "The angels are going to destroy the city" He said: "The LORD (Y-H-W-H in the Hebrew text) is going to destroy the city". And in verse 29 it is written: "So it was that, when God destroyed the cities of the valley...." So the angels were send by God to destroy the cities, but God is considered to be the one who did it, because He was the one who sent them. So why shouldn't the same hold true for the creation?

But one way or the other, no plural created man. Look in Genesis 5:1; "When God created man ..." In Hebrew this is: "bara Elohiem adam" Here the verb "to create", in Hebrew "bara", is in the singular, indicating clearly that Elohiem who created man is one. The same goes for the very first verse of the Bible: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." The word created is here written in the singular; it says "bara". If God was a plural, it should have been "baru".

BUT, back to the pronouns, Y-H-W-H says the following:

Isaiah 44:6 “This is what Y-H-W-H says- Israel's King and Redeemer, Y-H-W-H Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.”

It says "I" am Y-H-W-H. And, as we all know, "I" is singular, and not plural, and therefore no three persons in Y-H-W-H. Otherwise He would have said: "WE are Y-H-W-H."

But no such thing, God says: "I am Y-H-W-H".

No trinity.

Another example of a pronoun:

Nehemiah 9:6 “You alone are Y-H-W-H.”

As we see, it says that YOU, in the Hebrew singular, not plural are Y-H-W-H.

Again, no YOU, plural, are Y-H-W-H, but YOU singular, are Y-H-W-H.

So no three persons in God.

Another one:

Isaiah 44:6 “This is what Y-H-W-H says- Israel's King and Redeemer, Y-H-W-H Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.”

Clear what? It doesn't say: “This is what Y-H-W-H says- Israel's King and Redeemer, Y-H-W-H Almighty: WE are the first and WE are the last; apart from US there is no God.”

There is no such a thing, it is all SINGULAR.

Another one:

Joel 2:27 “Then you will know that I am in Israel, that I am Y-H-W-H your God, and that there is no other;”

Again, God says: "I am Y-H-W-H", and not "WE are Y-H-W-H" Such a thing simply doesn't exist.

I can go on and on with this, but these examples suffice. There is NO plurality in God.

And the word "us" when God speaks to the angels, does not imply otherwise.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Bs"d

Your OP doesn’t take into account primitive Christianity.

Primitive Christianity: There is only one God. YHWH. The messiah’s God. The Father.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the Jews believe that Jesus was just a prophet and they are still awaiting their Messiah.
While Christians believe that Jesus is the Messiah and he will return for those that believe in him.

as far as 1+1+1+1 =1
There is only one God and his name is Jesus Christ.

Rev 21:23
And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it:
for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

The lamb IS the glory of God.

This is the same glory which was upon Mt Sinai, the same glory that passed by Moses,

Deu 5:24
And ye said, Behold, the LORD our God hath shewed us his glory and his greatness, and we have heard his voice out of the midst of the fire: we have seen this day that God doth talk with man, and he liveth.

This is Jesus.

Psa 57:5
Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens; let thy glory be above all the earth.

Psa 57:11
Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens: let thy glory be above all the earth.

This is Jesus.

Exo 33:21
And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
Exo 33:22
And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:
Exo 33:23
And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

This is Jesus.

Psa 8:1
[[To the chief Musician upon Gittith, A Psalm of David.]] O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.

This is Jesus.

Psa 148:13
Let them praise the name of the LORD: for his name alone is excellent; his glory is above the earth and heaven.

This is Jesus

Phl 2:9
Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
Phl 2:10
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
Phl 2:11

And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Jesus is God's glory.

Rev 21:23
And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it:
for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

Jhn 1:29
The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

Zec 3:9
For behold the stone that I have laid before Joshua; upon one stone shall be seven eyes: behold, I will engrave the graving thereof, saith the LORD of hosts, and I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day.

This is Jesus. Jesus is the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

That which was, that which is, and that which is to come.

Hugs

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Bs"d

Or could it be that the Jew can only understand that which his own limitation insists on?
Having said that, I wonder how the Jew uses the logic of his mathematical equation to explain the opening and passage through the Red Sea?

Eliyahu613

Apr 14, 2020
Judea
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Israel
Your OP doesn’t take into account primitive Christianity.

Primitive Christianity: There is only one God. YHWH. The messiah’s God. The Father.
Bs"d

Primitive Christianity has died off. A remnant can only be found in the J-H-V-H witnesses.

Eliyahu613

Apr 14, 2020
Judea
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Israel
Or could it be that the Jew can only understand that which his own limitation insists on?
Bs"d

You mean you are so unlimited that you understand that 1 + 1 does not equal 2?
Having said that, I wonder how the Jew uses the logic of his mathematical equation to explain the opening and passage through the Red Sea?
We don't.

Eliyahu613

Apr 14, 2020
Judea
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Israel
I believe the Jews believe that Jesus was just a prophet and they are still awaiting their Messiah.
While Christians believe that Jesus is the Messiah and he will return for those that believe in him.

as far as 1+1+1+1 =1
Bs"d

You urgently need to read this OP: Who is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob?

Eliyahu613

Apr 14, 2020
Judea
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Israel

as far as 1+1+1+1 =1
Bs"d

To begin with, there is a VERY important fact you need to know, and that is that the name of God is left out of almost every Christian Bible translation, in order to increase confusion, and to be able to squeeze in their man-god, in place of the true God.

The four-lettered named of God is Y-H-W-H, and that name appears almost 7000 times in the Hebrew Bible.

In almost all translations that name is not mentioned, but replaced by "the LORD", with all capitals.

So if you see written "the LORD", keep in mind that in the original Hebrew is written Y-H-W-H.

The name of God, Y-H-W-H, appears in the Hebrew Bible almost 7000 times. In translations this is usually replaced with "the LORD".

But here is what is the name of God, with the four lettered name of God transliterated as it is in the original Hebrew text:
Isaiah 47:4
"Our Redeemer, Y-H-W-H of hosts is His name, The Holy One of Israel."

Isaiah 48:2
“For they call themselves after the holy city And lean on the God of Israel; Y-H-W-H of hosts is His name.

Jeremiah 48:15
“Moab has been destroyed and men have gone up to his cities; His choicest young men have also gone down to the slaughter,” Declares the King, whose name is Y-H-W-H of hosts.

Jeremiah 50:34 “Their Redeemer is strong,Y-H-W-H of hosts is His name;

Jeremiah 51:19
The portion of Jacob is not like these; For the Maker of all is He, And of the tribe of His inheritance; Y-H-W-H of hosts is His name.

Hosea 12:5
Even the Lord, the God of hosts, Y-H-W-H is His name.

Amos 4:13
For behold, He who forms mountains and creates the wind And declares to man what are His thoughts, He who makes dawn into darkness And treads on the high places of the earth, Y-H-W-H God of hosts is His name.

Amos 5:8
He who made the Pleiades and Orion And changes deep darkness into morning, Who also darkens day into night, Who calls for the waters of the sea And pours them out on the surface of the earth, Y-H-W-H is His name.

Amos 9:6
The One who builds His upper chambers in the heavens And has founded His vaulted dome over the earth, He who calls for the waters of the sea And pours them out on the face of the earth, Y-H-W-H is His name.

Isaiah 42:8
I am Y-H-W-H, that is My name; and My glory I will not give to another, nor My praise to carved images.

Exodus 3
And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” 15 Moreover God said to Moses, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel: ‘Y-H-W-H God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My name forever, and this is My memorial to all generations.’

Last edited:
Reactions: APAK and Wrangler

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bs"d

To begin with, there is a VERY important fact you need to know, and that is that the name of God is left out of almost every Christian Bible translation, in order to increase confusion, and to be able to squeeze in their man-god, in place of the true God.

The four-lettered named of God is Y-H-W-H, and that name appears almost 7000 times in the Hebrew Bible.

In almost all translations that name is not mentioned, but replaced by "the LORD", with all capitals.

So if you see written "the LORD", keep in mind that in the original Hebrew is written Y-H-W-H.

The name of God, Y-H-W-H, appears in the Hebrew Bible almost 7000 times. In translations this is usually replaced with "the LORD".

But here is what is the name of God, with the four lettered name of God transliterated as it is in the original Hebrew text:
Isaiah 47:4
"Our Redeemer, Y-H-W-H of hosts is His name, The Holy One of Israel."

Isaiah 48:2
“For they call themselves after the holy city And lean on the God of Israel; Y-H-W-H of hosts is His name.

Jeremiah 48:15
“Moab has been destroyed and men have gone up to his cities; His choicest young men have also gone down to the slaughter,” Declares the King, whose name is Y-H-W-H of hosts.

Jeremiah 50:34 “Their Redeemer is strong,Y-H-W-H of hosts is His name;

Jeremiah 51:19
The portion of Jacob is not like these; For the Maker of all is He, And of the tribe of His inheritance; Y-H-W-H of hosts is His name.

Hosea 12:5
Even the Lord, the God of hosts, Y-H-W-H is His name.

Amos 4:13
For behold, He who forms mountains and creates the wind And declares to man what are His thoughts, He who makes dawn into darkness And treads on the high places of the earth, Y-H-W-H God of hosts is His name.

Amos 5:8
He who made the Pleiades and Orion And changes deep darkness into morning, Who also darkens day into night, Who calls for the waters of the sea And pours them out on the surface of the earth, Y-H-W-H is His name.

Amos 9:6
The One who builds His upper chambers in the heavens And has founded His vaulted dome over the earth, He who calls for the waters of the sea And pours them out on the face of the earth, Y-H-W-H is His name.

Isaiah 42:8
I am Y-H-W-H, that is My name; and My glory I will not give to another, nor My praise to carved images.

Exodus 3
And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” 15 Moreover God said to Moses, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel: ‘Y-H-W-H God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My name forever, and this is My memorial to all generations.’
That's alright, Jesus' name is above that name as well.

Hugs

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Bs"d

Primitive Christianity has died off. A remnant can only be found in the J-H-V-H witnesses.

Primitive Christianity is small and scattered but it hasn’t died off. I don’t consider the JW’s to be a remnant of it but I do think they are closer to it than Nicene Christianity is.

Last edited:
Reactions: APAK

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It depends on the context.

a jew is a nationality, a descendent of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

A christian is multi national, a jew can be a christian

in another context.

a christian can be a person who is truly born of God
He can also be a person who is playing church.

the jew on the other hand, (by religion) has crucified their messiah And use the law unlawfully to ay they are righteous people (when the law says otherwise) and the law makes them a special people. (When it does not)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Bs"d

Christianity began as a sect of Judaism.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about the story of Gideon and his encounter with the Angel of the Lord?
Judges 6 Interlinear Bible See judges 6:11-24

This Angel of God appears to be Jesus, and Gideon remarks he has seen YHWH face to face. I think in verse 23and part of 24