What is the High Calling in Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is it possible to associate this parable with a different thought than a second Spirit baptism? Is there a reason to think this is specifically what Jesus meant?

As I've said, this feels more like disputing over words. I think we're both agreed that the Spirit's work in us is necessary for our growth. And that God works major transformations in our lives, and sometimes these can seem to come all at once in the power of the Spirit.

He is jealously going after our flesh nature with the fire of His jealousy...

Referencing my favorite promise . . . :) Burn it all away!! All that does not glorify You! Instead of looking for that second Pentecost, it's in the tribulations.

If it's that we're waiting for that Spirit touch when suddenly all our struggles are over and we are walking in the Spirit consistently, I don't mind looking for that, it's an amazing blessing, a gift with no downside. Well, except the ability to confer it to someone else. For that we must learn faith, so that we can train others in it.

What I've found is that while that sort of thing is wonderful, more wonderful is the truth that we can apprehend this in faith in Jesus, in the finished work of the cross, this life we desire.

I actually think you are right, that many believers walk in an inconsistent faith, and therefore live an inconsistent life. Not because they are waiting for that magic missing piece, but they've never been trained to understand what we have in Christ right now.

If we're waiting for our "second baptism" before we can overcome our flesh, we've already been baptized into Christ, and we have been crucified with Him. Sin has no power over us any longer.

He has promised. Let's us take ahold of His promises, and go on to maturity.

Much love!
So many scriptures speak to this journey we are on, brother. I don't know, but it almost seems as though you just made up your mind to argue with this for some reason, even though you're not really sure what you're arguing with, lol.

It's not a matter of sitting around waiting for anything, it's a matter of obeying and following the Lamb where He leads, and scripture gives us an idea of what He is leading us to....that land of rest that He has Promised. We wait upon the Lord in the inner man, and the sabbath rest is a condition of the inner man. There is a second "something" for us, since that is depicted in scripture, and we're even told the initial baptism in the Spirit is only the earnest/down payment on what is promised. Aren't we supposed to be buying that EXTRA oil for our lamps?...and for what purpose? The initial deposit of the Spirit was a free gift, the rest has to be "bought" by us, ie, we pay a price for it....to finish building what the initial deposit began. They who wait upon the Lord will RENEW their strength, they will MOUNT UP with wings as eagles.

Blessings.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So many scriptures speak to this journey we are on, brother. I don't know, but it almost seems as though you just made up your mind to argue with this for some reason, even though you're not really sure what you're arguing with, lol.
What is the argument? I think we are saying the same things . . . 99%. And that's not bad! I think the only thing we've disagreed over is whether there are one or two baptisms, and like I said, I think we're still talking about the necessity of the transforming work of the Holy Spirit. And as I've said, I don't have a problem with using different words.

Much love!

Last edited:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The high calling is to be an apostle of Jesus Christ!
Jn 29:21-23
1 cor 12:28

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m waiting for the context to tell us or for scripture to interpret scripture! Don’t hold you’re breath!