What is the human soul technically?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Hebrew word "nephesh" (soul), the Greek words "psyche" (soul) and "pneumatic" (spirit), and the English word 'soul" are polysemantic. Their lexical meanings overlap. For precision and argumentation, I define spirit as a non-baryonic (invisible) substance that houses a person's conscience. I define the soul as the collective faculties of volition, emotion, intellect, and memory. These definitions are based on Watchman Nee's The Spiritual Man. They correspond to the functions of the frontal lobe. Let me use a computer analogy.

English Revised Version, Genesis 2:

7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground,
i.e., the hardware

and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life;
i.e., animation power to give Adam conscience, and he became conscious

and man became a living soul.
When the breath of life contacted the physical body, Adam's soul was formed, and he became aware. His soul grew gradually in terms of subroutines and memories daily. Our brain's programs/codes/neural networks change and develop dynamically based on our experiences/inputs. Our soul uniquely identifies you. It is your personality.

A person's volition faculty uniquely identifies him. That's the minimal identification of him. No other person has your volition organ. Ultimately, his volition makes his decisions. The volition is like the helm of a ship.

His conscience, emotion, intellect, memory, and spirit are closely associated with his volition. These faculties grow and develop, supplying input to the volition that allows the person to make decisions.

Let me compare a human to a computer robot. The body is analogous to the physical hardware. The soul is the software code plus the data. The non-physical spirit provides the electricity supply.

The human soul + the human spirit = the inner man

Berean Literal Bible Ephesians 3:

16 that He might give you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power by His Spirit in the inner man
What happens when the human spirit departs?

Job likened death to sleep in 14:

12 so he lies down and does not rise; till the heavens are no more, people will not awake or be roused from their sleep.
Daniel 12:

2 Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.
Also, in the NT, Acts 7:

59 While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 60 Then he fell on his knees and cried out, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he fell asleep.
When Stephen's spirit left his body, it went to Jesus' care. His soul was deactivated, and his body died. His soul was zipped up and stored or saved (pardon the computer pun) in the Lord's memory. 2 Corinthians 5:

8 We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.
The soul has a definite temporal beginning. Its animation life (consciousness) depends on the breath of God. It develops from its life experience. Its life can be suspended. Without the breath of God, it becomes unconscious until the last day, John 6:

40 For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.
Based on your stored soul data and genetic information, your body will be reconstructed on the last day. When a person dies, his soul is stored in a secure place.

See also Where was Jesus between his death and resurrection?

Last edited:

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Hebrew word "nephesh" (soul) and the Greek words "phyches" (soul) and "pneumatos" (spirit) and the English word 'soul" are polysemantic. Their lexical meanings overlap. For precision and argumentation, I define spirit as a non-baryonic (invisible) substance that houses a person's conscience. I define soul as the collective faculties of volition, emotion, intellect, and memory. These definitions are based on Watchman Nee's The Spiritual Man. They correspond to the functions of the frontal lobe. Let me use a computer analogy.

i.e., the hardware

When the breath of life contacted the physical body, Adam's soul was formed, and he became aware. His soul grew gradually in terms of subroutines and memories daily. Our brain's programs/codes/neural networks change and develop dynamically based on our experiences/inputs. Our soul uniquely identifies you. It is your personality.

A person's volition faculty uniquely identifies him. That's the minimal identification of him. No other person has your volition organ. Ultimately, his volition makes his decisions. The volition is like the helm of a ship.

Closely associated with his volition are his conscience, emotion, intellect, memory, and spirit. These faculties grow and develop. They supply inputs to the volition for the person to make decisions.

Let me compare a human to a computer robot. The body is analogous to the physical hardware. The soul is the software code plus the data. The non-physical spirit provides the electricity supply.

Daniel 12:

Also, in the NT, Acts 7:

When Stephen's spirit left his body, it went to Jesus' care. His soul was deactivated, and his body died. His soul was zipped up and stored or saved (pardon the computer pun) in the Lord's memory. 2 Corinthians 5:

The soul has a definite temporal beginning. Its animation life (consciousness) depends on the breath of God. It develops from its life experience. Its life can be suspended. Without the breath of God, it becomes unconscious, until the last day, John 6:

On the last day, your body will be reconstructed based on your stored soul data and genetic information. When a person dies, his soul is stored in a secure place.

Chuckle!!! You write EXCELLENT FICTION, but nothing worth taking weriously.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Chuckle!!! You write EXCELLENT FICTION, but nothing worth taking weriously.
Can you quote my words and contradict them? I prefer to argue with people who can think logically and write precisely. Try not to overgeneralize in your next reply.

Last edited:

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Hebrew word "nephesh" (soul) and the Greek words "phyches" (soul) and "pneumatos" (spirit) and the English word 'soul" are polysemantic. Their lexical meanings overlap. For precision and argumentation, I define spirit as a non-baryonic (invisible) substance that houses a person's conscience. I define soul as the collective faculties of volition, emotion, intellect, and memory. These definitions are based on Watchman Nee's The Spiritual Man. They correspond to the functions of the frontal lobe. Let me use a computer analogy.

i.e., the hardware

Closely associated with his volition are his conscience, emotion, intellect, memory, and spirit. These faculties grow and develop. They supply inputs to the volition for the person to make decisions.

Daniel 12:

Also, in the NT, Acts 7:

The soul has a definite temporal beginning. Its animation life (consciousness) depends on the breath of God. It develops from its life experience. Its life can be suspended. Without the breath of God, it becomes unconscious, until the last day, John 6:

On the last day, your body will be reconstructed based on your stored soul data and genetic information. When a person dies, his soul is stored in a secure place.

You quoted Stephen in Acts.
What does verse 56-57 say?
Let's get the WHOLE context of his words. And compare to what Jesus told the Cheif Priests and Elders. (Sitting vs standing)

Because the context here is important and only slightly shifts the position you are holding.

There's also what Jesus said in Mark 12. (God of the living and not the dead/asleep)

Confusing....I get it. But it is relevant.

To be absent the body is to be present with the Lord.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

i.e., the hardware

Daniel 12:

Also, in the NT, Acts 7:

The soul is the whole of a human being, its what makes you who you are, as no two persons are alike, not even twins. We may all have the same parts and look similar but each person has their own characteristics that make up their personality, their walk, their talk, how the smile and laugh. God knows each and everything of you down to the last hair, so at the resurrection He will recreate you pefectly, but without the defects of sin..

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's what I know about it.

The spirit has within it our Conscience, Intuition, and Fellowship (with God).
Our spirit has within it our Intellect, Will, and Emotions.

We also have a Flesh Body.

I am a spirit-being, I have a soul. I live inside a body.

The spirit and soul can not be separated. When the spirit leaves, the soul leaves with it. Absent from the body is present with the Lord.

That said, tell me what the heart is! Scripture says, as a man thinks in ihs heart...so is he. So our heart thinks independantly of our intellect! Interesting. And! Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.

Have a heart? Yes. Here's my best guess on what the heart is.
The heart is a composition of the soul and it's 3 parts with the added spices of....the Conscience. (And that's where the voice of the conscience manifests within us, through our heart)

We got two angels on our shoulders, whispering in our ear? A good one and a bad one. The good one is the conscience through the heart and the bad one is our carnal intellect.