What Is The Meaning Of Jesus The Son Of God? and Why?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thursday 2-9-23 5th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle Shevat 17, 5783 51st. Winter Day

Here is a view of what I think:

Jesus is not God’s Son in the sense of a human father and a son. God did not get married and have a son. God did not mate with Mary and, together with her, produce a son. Jesus is God’s Son in the sense that He is God made manifest in human form (John 1:1, 14).

Jesus is God’s Son in that He was conceived in Mary by the Holy Spirit. Luke 1:35 declares, “The angel answered, 'The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.’”

Love, Walter

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus is not God’s Son in the sense of a human father and a son. God did not get married and have a son. God did not mate with Mary and, together with her, produce a son. Jesus is God’s Son in the sense that He is God made manifest in human form (John 1:1, 14).

Jesus is God’s Son in that He was conceived in Mary by the Holy Spirit. Luke 1:35 declares, “The angel answered, 'The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.’”

Love, Walter

God is spirit. Spirit gives birth to spirit. NOT flesh.

Flesh gives birth to flesh. People are too quick to equate one with the other, while scripture makes it clear that the physical and the spiritual are separate. "The holy one" is not flesh, but spirit. The son of God HAS to be spirit and not flesh because the Father in heaven is spirit and not flesh. I know this idea is upsetting to many. That doesn't change anything. People get trapped by their ideas and some never escape those prisons of their own making.

Reactions: Waiting on him

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Flesh gives birth to flesh. People are too quick to equate one with the other, while scripture makes it clear that the physical and the spiritual are separate. "The holy one" is not flesh, but spirit. The son of God HAS to be spirit and not flesh because the Father in heaven is spirit and not flesh. I know this idea is upsetting to many. That doesn't change anything. People get trapped by their ideas and some never escape those prisons of their own making.
Hello Mr. E, Amen, and thank you.

Love, Walter

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What of these verses:

1 John 4:3

"...and every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world."

"Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have."
Luke 24:39

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.” John 1:14

How could He have suffered all things that we do if He was not in flesh and blood? He was the only person to ever have lived a sinless life as He had the Spirit of G
od in Him.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The holy one" is not flesh, but spirit. The son of God HAS to be spirit and not flesh because the Father in heaven is spirit and not flesh.
The holy one (not 3) is God in the highest.

Pivoting from your 1st to 2nd sentence consider ...

The son of Mary has to be flesh and not spirit because the mother on Earth is flesh and not spirit. See how that logic works just as legitimately?

If you ever notice, "the Son of God" is almost always written as capitalized. This is how you know it is a title. The VOICE translation captures it nicely via equivalent titles. God's Anointed, includes the likes of David. The king is the king among men, i.e., the Liberating King. There is a certain logic that X and the son of X cannot be one and the same Being. Notice how the VOICE translation makes emphasizes this fact with identifying Jesus as the son of One (the Blessed One) and not (another) One himself?

Mark 14:61-62 (VOICE)
High Priest: Are You God’s Anointed, the Liberating King, the Son of the Blessed One?
Jesus: I am.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What of these verses:

1 John 4:3

"...and every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world."

"Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have."
Luke 24:39

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.” John 1:14

How could He have suffered all things that we do if He was not in flesh and blood? He was the only person to ever have lived a sinless life as He had the Spirit of G
od in Him.

It might seem like semantics. But 'the word' is 'the son' and is 'the seed'-- and all of this is 'the spirit' that proceedeth from the Father who is spirit and spirit gives birth to spirit. And it is the spirit-- the holy, perfect, set apart one that descended and became flesh. That is, the spirit was manifest IN flesh, in the human Jesus-- the word came upon him as it has in the past and throughout scripture.

Jesus-- anointed by the spirit, empowered, enabled-- the Christ (the anointed one) in the flesh. Jesus was flesh and blood. Human. Son of man. The word from the Father was IN him.... spirit. Spirit. Son of God.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It might seem like semantics. But 'the word' is 'the son'
Seems like semantics? Words are not a Being but an attribute of being.

One way to know that the son is not God's words is because he admitted he only says what God told him to say. Ever read Deut 18:15-18? It puts John 1 in proper perspective, especially the meaning of God's words were made flesh (not God himself). Not semantics.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It might seem like semantics. But 'the word' is 'the son' and is 'the seed'-- and all of this is 'the spirit' that proceedeth from the Father who is spirit and spirit gives birth to spirit. And it is the spirit-- the holy, perfect, set apart one that descended and became flesh. That is, the spirit was manifest IN flesh, in the human Jesus-- the word came upon him as it has in the past and throughout scripture.

Jesus-- anointed by the spirit, empowered, enabled-- the Christ (the anointed one) in the flesh. Jesus was flesh and blood. Human. Son of man. The word from the Father was IN him.... spirit. Spirit. Son of God.
I've given you 3 good scriptures saying Jesus came in the flesh, I believe He was fully God and fully man.
I mean, it wasn't a spirit that was crucified and tortured, the Spirit in Him, same as the one in true Christians is how He drew His strength as the human side of Him suffered horribly, and warring against the Spirit as He was tempted in all ways we are.
JM2C :)

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems like semantics? Words are not a Being but an attribute of being.

One way to know that the son is not God's words is because he admitted he only says what God told him to say. Ever read Deut 18:15-18? It puts John 1 in proper perspective, especially the meaning of God's words were made flesh (not God himself). Not semantics.

No. “Jesus” spoke the word of the Father- the word of spirit ‘by’ the spirit that was in him. He stated this plainly. He became that anointed messenger/prophet/spokesperson/voice/word.

But it comes from the Father. It wasn’t Jesus speaking for himself on his own accord.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've given you 3 good scriptures saying Jesus came in the flesh, I believe He was fully God and fully man.
I mean, it wasn't a spirit that was crucified and tortured, the Spirit in Him, same as the one in true Christians is how He drew His strength as the human side of Him suffered horribly, and warring against the Spirit as He was tempted in all ways we are.
JM2C :)

Yes, that’s what God ‘in the flesh’ would mean. Spirit -in- the flesh. Jesus was the flesh that the spirit of God was in.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. “Jesus” spoke the word of the Father ... But it comes from the Father. It wasn’t Jesus speaking for himself on his own accord.
My point exactly! This is how you know Jesus is not the word but merely spoke the words God gave him. Did you read Deut 18:15-18?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Love, Walter
I believe Jesus is the Son of God, and that there is a God the Father separate personage. And then there is the Holy Ghost. That is the essence of the trinity doctrine, and it appears correct if it states that they are all God in different personages.

Reactions: Enoch111

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And yet the Bible clearly states that Jesus of Nazareth was SUPERNATURALLY conceived by the Holy Ghost (Spirit). So you are another one of those people bringing false doctrines to Christianity Board. Does "Mr E" stand for "Mr Error"?

Reactions: Taken and dev553344

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus is God’s Son in that He was conceived in Mary by the Holy Spirit.
Jesus did not become the Son of God at that time. He was ETERNALLY the Only Begotten Son of God (also called "the Word of God" in John 1:1). "The same was in the beginning with God" (John 1:3) = The same was eternally with God the Father. Thus "Whose goings forth have been from of old, FROM EVERLASTING" (Micah 5:2).

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And yet the Bible clearly states that Jesus of Nazareth was SUPERNATURALLY conceived by the Holy Ghost (Spirit). So you are another one of those people bringing false doctrines to Christianity Board. Does "Mr E" stand for "Mr Error"?
Yes, it should seem pretty obvious that God can command the physical realm with the Holy Spirit. Genesis speaks of God's spirit creating the Universe. Jesus commanded the elements probably with the Holy Spirit. And there is Jesus Body conceived with the Holy Spirit.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is not a sense of what it means to be an offspring.

Hello Wrangler, You missed my point with your own sense instead of what those scriptures are saying, aren't you?
No. You can’t assert a sense of a word that does not exist. I answered your questions; the meaning of the title and why. If you made a point, it means your questions were rhetorical, right?

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. You can’t assert a sense of a word that does not exist. I answered your questions; the meaning of the title and why. If you made a point, it means your questions were rhetorical, right?
Yes, Normally when I read your post I get some good answers by searching, thank you.

Last edited: