What Is The Meaning Of Jesus The Son Of God? and Why?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good morning Mr E, and thank you

Love, Walter

Let me walk you through it--

God is spirit. Spirit gives birth to spirit. NOT flesh.

Flesh gives birth to flesh. People are too quick to equate one with the other, while scripture makes it clear that the physical and the spiritual are separate. "The holy one" is not flesh, but spirit. The son of God HAS to be spirit and not flesh because the Father in heaven is spirit and not flesh.

God is spirit. We can trust this, because those are the words of Jesus himself-- spoken to the Samaritan woman at the well (John 4).

God is spirit, and the people who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”

This idea is built upon the foundation he already taught to Nicodemus, who asked him to explain what he meant by saying a person needs to be born again. (John 3)

What is born of the flesh is flesh, and what is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Our understanding must follow, and not violate these premises firmly established by Jesus the Christ.

God is spirit- and what is born of spirit, is spirit... not flesh. What is born of flesh is flesh... and not spirit. The flesh and the spirit are at least in the beginning (birth) -- separate. 1 Cor 15 explains in detail and puts this idea in it's proper context, which is based upon the parable of the seed that Jesus told as recorded in Matt 13. That is the backdrop, and 1 Cor 15 connects that parable to 'the beginning' with Adam--- actually to two Adams.

If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. So also it is written, “The first man, Adam, became a living person”; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit.

However, the spiritual did not come first, but the natural, and then the spiritual. The first man is from the earth, made of dust; the second man is from heaven. Like the one made of dust, so too are those made of dust, and like the one from heaven, so too those who are heavenly. And just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, let us also bear the image of the man of heaven.

From this, we can begin to understand that it's 'the seed' that comes from the Father who is spirit, likewise is spirit, the union is spiritual and the offspring produced too, is spirit. Spirit gives birth to spirit.

And man, though natural flesh-- is made in the image of all this above, but on earth the life-giving 'seed' comes from the father, the union is physical and so too is the offspring produced-- flesh gives birth to flesh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taken

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God is spirit. We can trust this, because those are the words of Jesus himself-- spoken to the Samaritan woman at the well (John 4).

God is spirit, and the people who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”

This idea is built upon the foundation he already taught to Nicodemus, who asked him to explain what he meant by saying a person needs to be born again. (John 3)

What is born of the flesh is flesh, and what is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Our understanding must follow, and not violate these premises firmly established by Jesus the Christ.

God is spirit- and what is born of spirit, is spirit... not flesh. What is born of flesh is flesh... and not spirit. The flesh and the spirit are at least in the beginning (birth) -- separate. 1 Cor 15 explains in detail and puts this idea in it's proper context, which is based upon the parable of the seed that Jesus told as recorded in Matt 13. That is the backdrop, and 1 Cor 15 connects that parable to 'the beginning' with Adam--- actually to two Adams.

If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. So also it is written, “The first man, Adam, became a living person”; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit.

However, the spiritual did not come first, but the natural, and then the spiritual. The first man is from the earth, made of dust; the second man is from heaven. Like the one made of dust, so too are those made of dust, and like the one from heaven, so too those who are heavenly. And just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, let us also bear the image of the man of heaven.

From this, we can begin to understand that it's 'the seed' that comes from the Father who is spirit, likewise is spirit, the union is spiritual and the offspring produced too, is spirit. Spirit gives birth to spirit.

And man, though natural flesh-- is made in the image of all this above, but on earth the life-giving 'seed' comes from the father, the union is physical and so too is the offspring produced-- flesh gives birth to flesh.
Hello Mr E,

God is spirit. Spirit gives birth to spirit. NOT flesh.

Flesh gives birth to flesh. People are too quick to equate one with the other, while scripture makes it clear that the physical and the spiritual are separate. "The holy one" is not flesh, but spirit. The son of God HAS to be spirit and not flesh because the Father in heaven is spirit and not flesh.

I understand what you are saying, but even Jesus was flesh and blood? Luke 24:33-43

33 And they rose up the same hour, and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven gathered together, and them that were with them,

34 Saying, The Lord is risen indeed, and hath appeared to Simon.

35 And they told what things were done in the way, and how he was known of them in breaking of bread.

36 And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.

38 And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?

39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.

41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Taken, I must agree Brother, I can remember when Jesus said to take His yoke upon ourselves and learn of Him, but I did not expect soo much of the world's influences away from the truth, but only if we would continue in His words.

Love, Walter

I remember a time to openly say anything against the Lord God would be a shunning shame. Today it seems to openly be tolerated and advocated and worn as a badge of honor.

Glory to God,
Taken

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember a time to openly say anything against the Lord God would be a shunning shame. Today it seems to openly be tolerated and advocated and worn as a badge of honor.

Glory to God,
Taken
To me, some people just don't have that first love, but God is not slack concerning His promises, and this is why I know to keep that personal relationship with Him.

Reactions: Taken

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 1:22-23:
22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,
23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Isaiah 9:6:
"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."

To God Be The Glory

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here is a view of what I think:

Jesus is not God’s Son in the sense of a human father and a son.
If the relationship is not that of a "father and son", then why do you think God used it if it was not to be understood in human terms?
Why not simply give themselves names that are easy to identify if they were equals?

God did not get married and have a son. God did not mate with Mary and, together with her, produce a son. Jesus is God’s Son in the sense that He is God made manifest in human form (John 1:1, 14).
If we take John 1:1, then as "the Word" (or one who spoke God's words) it says that Jesus was "with God" "in the beginning"....so if he was "with God" how can he BE God? How can an "only begotten son from a Father" exist before his 'begetter'? (John 1:14) He was God's "only begotten" (unique) son before his mission on earth...but he was by no means the only "son of God"....the heavenly realm is populated with "sons of God"....myriads of them.
Even Adam was called a "son of God" because he was created, not born. (Luke 3:38)
So, from the scriptures, being a "son of God" is not what many believe it to be.

And what is the "beginning", because we know that the eternal God had no beginning.
Jesus is God’s Son in that He was conceived in Mary by the Holy Spirit. Luke 1:35 declares, “The angel answered, 'The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.’”
The holy spirit is not an entity though....it is personified in scripture because of Greek grammar, not because it is a person. Yahweh and Jesus both have names, but the holy spirit is nameless. That is because I believe that the scriptures teach that the holy spirit is the administration of God's immense power, sent to wherever and to whomever he wills it, to perform supernatural events like creation and the miracles of the Bible....including the conception of Jesus as a human.

The miracles performed by Christ's apostles were only performed after they received the power of the holy spirit.
At Jesus' baptism, he too was given the power of holy spirit to perform miracles. There is no indication that he possessed any supernatural abilities before that day.

Jesus said that he "came down from heaven" to do the will of his Father. (John 6:38) If he was equally God, then why was it not his own will that he carried out?
Why did he not speak his own words? He said that all he taught was from his Father. (John 8:28)

He was his Father's "holy servant". (Acts 4:27) Can God be his own servant?

He is our High Priest (Heb 3:1) How can God be his own High Priest?

At John 10:30, Jesus said..."I and the Father are one".....but what did he mean? There are only two mentioned there....but wait, there's more....

John 17:20-22....
"I make request, not concerning these only, but also concerning those putting faith in me through their word, 21 so that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in union with me and I am in union with you, that they also may be in union with us, so that the world may believe that you sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you have given me, in order that they may be one just as we are one."

All of Christ's disciples were to be "ONE" like Jesus and his Father were....in complete unity and with one purpose.

Do you see how easy it is to make assumptions based on mistranslated or misunderstood scripture....?

Last edited:
Reactions: APAK

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Belief in government = belief in slavery.
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When we read about the conception of Jesus, it is told that he was conceived "through" the Holy Spirit. Now it is critical to understand what the Holy Spirit stands for in order to get a correct interpretation. This part of the bible has been massively mis interpretated on a mass scale through a lack of understanding of the Holy Spirit itself, along with the three fold nature of the Divine Trinity.

The Holy Spirit in easy terms is simply "love as compassion". Compassion is home to unconditional love, like the love you have for your family. It is eternal love, and is also described as innocent love or better put in this scenario "virgin love". Compassion is also the area of forgivnesss, because if we are feeling compassionate towards somone, all has been forgiven.

Now when we make compassionate love to our husband or wife it is innocent. It is an outward expression of love that is not selfish at all. It is pure. On the other hand, when we have intercourse through means of lust and sexual desire, it is completely selfish and is the very deffinition of sin itself.

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
For the Son Of God, this is the Father's will. What is his will you ask? Well simply put it is to give life in any way shape or form. Weather what we give is our time, knowlage, physicle possessions or as Jesus did, our physicle body, it is all at its essence the same thing, we are giving life so in turn, somone else can live.

Its important to understand that this form of giving needs to be unconditional or "pure" or "sinless" meaning that we cannot be doing it with an underlying motive or to better ourself in any way shape or form weather it be in the present or the future.

This is pure giving. This is pure sacrifice and this is acting as the Son Of God.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the relationship is not that of a "father and son", then why do you think God used it if it was not to be understood in human terms?
Why not simply give themselves names that are easy to identify if they were equals?

If we take John 1:1, then as "the Word" (or one who spoke God;s words) it says thatJesus was "with God" "in the beginning"....so if he was "with God" how can he BE God? How can an "only begotten son from a Father" exist before his 'begetter'? (John 1:14) He was God's "only begotten" (unique) son before his mission on earth...but he was by no means the only "son of God"....the heavenly realm is populated with "sons of God"....myriads of them.
Even Adam was called a "son of God" because he was created, not born. (Luke 3:38)
So, from the scriptures, being a "son of God" is not what many believe it to be.

And what is the "beginning", because we know that the eternal God had no beginning.

The holy spirit is not an entity though....it is personified in scripture because of Greek grammar, not because it is a person. Yahweh and Jesus both have names, but the holy spirit is nameless. That is because I believe that the scriptures teach that the holy spirit is the administration of God's immense power, sent to wherever and to whomever he wills it, to perform supernatural events like creation and the miracles of the Bible....including the conception of Jesus as a human.

The miracles performed by Christ's apostles were only performed after they received the power of the holy spirit.
At Jesus' baptism, he too was given the power of holy spirit to perform miracles. There is no indication that he possessed any supernatural abilities before that day.

Jesus said that he "came down from heaven" to do the will of his Father. (John 6:38) If he was equally God, then why was it not his own will that he carried out?
Why did he not speak his own words? He said that all he taught was from his Father. (John 8:28)

He was his Father's "holy servant". (Acts 4:27) Can God be his own servant?

He is our High Priest (Heb 3:1) How can God be his own High Priest?

At John 10:30, Jesus said..."I and the Father are one".....but what did he mean? There are only two mentioned there....but wait, there's more....

John 17:20-22....
"I make request, not concerning these only, but also concerning those putting faith in me through their word, 21 so that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in union with me and I am in union with you, that they also may be in union with us, so that the world may believe that you sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you have given me, in order that they may be one just as we are one."

All of Christ's disciples were to be "ONE" like Jesus and his Father were....in complete unity and with one purpose.

Do you see how easy it is to make assumptions based on mistranslated or misunderstood scripture....?
Good morning Jane, In what you are saying, the scriptures can not be broken, but rightly divided in that of what they are saying in the OP, The LORD has His way of doing His will, and He allows us to see as we ask for things,

But as we can see in your post which is interesting, thank you.

Love, Walter and Debbie

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Good morning Jane, In what you are saying, the scriptures can not be broken, but rightly divided in that of what they are saying in the OP, The LORD has His way of doing His will, and He allows us to see as we ask for things,

But as we can see in your post which is interesting, thank you.

Love, Walter and Debbie
It can be understood. People these days have become very literal and superficial with the way they understand and teach scripture. Mis interpretation of scripture has been happening for a very long time and through that the underlying truth becomes lost. Now, when something is not understood with our small minded perspective, we simply tell ourself that it couldn't possibly be understood. This view of the trinity is a good example of pure ignorance. But such is the world we live in today.

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thursday 2-9-23 5th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle Shevat 17, 5783 51st. Winter Day

Here is a view of what I think:

Jesus is not God’s Son in the sense of a human father and a son. God did not get married and have a son. God did not mate with Mary and, together with her, produce a son. Jesus is God’s Son in the sense that He is God made manifest in human form (John 1:1, 14).

Jesus is God’s Son in that He was conceived in Mary by the Holy Spirit. Luke 1:35 declares, “The angel answered, 'The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.’”

Love, Walter
If you would like to understand the threefold nature of the trinity im happy to go through it with you. Mind you it is a little complicated.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not worth anything, things that don't make sense to some people do to others.
There is a difference between, "I don't understand" and "This is nonsense."

A friend was fond of saying to his mercurial teen age daughter:
You are driving down the highway 50 mph,
Your left front tire falls off,
How many pancakes does it take to build a dog house?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What of these verses:

1 John 4:3

"...and every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world."

"Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have."
Luke 24:39

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.” John 1:14

How could He have suffered all things that we do if He was not in flesh and blood? He was the only person to ever have lived a sinless life as He had the Spirit of G
od in Him.
It might seem like semantics. But 'the word' is 'the son' and is 'the seed'-- and all of this is 'the spirit' that proceedeth from the Father who is spirit and spirit gives birth to spirit. And it is the spirit-- the holy, perfect, set apart one that descended and became flesh. That is, the spirit was manifest IN flesh, in the human Jesus-- the word came upon him as it has in the past and throughout scripture.

Jesus-- anointed by the spirit, empowered, enabled-- the Christ (the anointed one) in the flesh. Jesus was flesh and blood. Human. Son of man. The word from the Father was IN him.... spirit. Spirit. Son of God.
Humans come from dust of the Earth.

Created Spirits, (called Celestial Heavenly hosts, ie holy angels (as well as fallen created angels cast to earth HAVE the power to Appear in the Likeness “AS” a human terrestrial man.

The angels receive their power from God…How much more Power does God Himself have than what He has granted to angels, that God Himself cannot Appear in the Likeness AS a human man?

Gods Word was in God Mouth….God sent His Word forth out of Gods Mouth, IN a body God prepared FOR when God would Send His Word to Earth….and God SAID, His Word in the Likeness AS a man, would be A Son to God, and God would be to Him, a Father.

No.
Jesus was not, is not, a human earthly man.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No.
Jesus was not, is not, a human earthly man

That’s a strange belief. Mary, when she was done pushing and once she had caught her breath again, might have argued the point.

Myself, I have 5 kids and not one of them sprang from my garden patch. They all sprang from my wife with varying degrees of pushing and pulling.

What is it in your mind that qualifies a person as a human, earthly man— if not being born one?

Reactions: APAK and Aunty Jane

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s a strange belief.
That belief is Scriptural, Gods inSPIRT-ed Word which IS Spiritual…not Earthly.

Your seed fertilized your wife’s seed, to procreate.

Jesus Christ IS the Seed of God. Hods seed does Not fertilize a humans ssed.

Mary, when she was done pushing and once she had caught her breath again, might have argued the point.

Mary’s Virgin womb Served a purpose to reveal Jesus in the LIKENESS AS a man….to teach men HOW TO become in the LIKENESS AS God.

Do you think IF you receive Gods Seed you become a Spirit or you Become God?

Myself, I have 5 kids and not one of them sprang from my garden patch.

And you are not a Spirit.

They all sprang from my wife with varying degrees of pushing and pulling.

What is it in your mind that qualifies a person as a human, earthly man— if not being born one?

A human is procreated via terrestrial earthly
Male seed fertilizing a female seed.

A PERSON is a living human with a soul.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr E

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That belief is Scriptural, Gods inSPIRT-ed Word which IS Spiritual…not Earthly.
Your seed fertilized your wife’s seed, to procreate.
Jesus Christ IS the Seed of God. Hods seed does Not fertilize a humans ssed.
Mary’s Virgin womb Served a purpose to reveal Jesus in the LIKENESS AS a man….to teach men HOW TO become in the LIKENESS AS God.
Do you think IF you receive Gods Seed you become a Spirit or you Become God?
And you are not a Spirit.
A human is procreated via terrestrial earthly
Male seed fertilizing a female seed.
A PERSON is a living human with a soul.

It's stunning that you think the baby Jesus was not human.

Reactions: Jim B

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It's stunning that you think the baby Jesus was not human.
If he wasn't 100% human, then the "ransom" was not paid. (Matthew 20:28) A "ransom" is the exact amount demanded for the release of a captive....in our case, we are all captives to sin and death through Adam's sin, but the one price Christ willingly paid, covered all of us. (1 Cor 15:22)

The 'first Adam' threw the whole human race under the bus....only the "last Adam" could pay for what the first Adam did, (1 Cor 15:45) by offering an equivalent life in accord with God's law......"an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a life for a life".
Adam lost sinless life for all his children....Christ's sacrifice paid 'a sinless life for a sinless life', thereby cancelling the debt.

He HAD to be 100% human....and God made sure that he was.

Reactions: Jim B