What is the one true Church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was baptized an infant into Catholicism and anon attended enough
catechism to complete First Holy Communion and Confirmation. I was
schooled to believe the RCC was the one true church. However: the Church
likens itself to Noah's Ark.

Well the rub there is that nobody aboard the Ark perished in the Flood. So if
The Church really were akin to Noah's Ark, then no Catholic should end up
on the wrong side of things; but I'm pretty sure Rome expects to lose a
number of its followers to perdition because should a Catholic leave this life
with just one mortal sin on the books pending absolution-- just one --they go
straight to Hell; no stopover in a Purgatory.

Well, last time I checked, Pew Research suggests more than half of
American Catholics are lapsed. No doubt those folks are accumulating quite
a list of mortal sins against themselves to be examined at the event depicted
at Rev 20:11-15 when books are opened. Ouch!

* I am not only a lapsed Catholic, but also an apostate Catholic, having
renounced The Church and thrown in with the Protestants back in 1968.
However, I am in no danger of perdition because as one of the good
shepherd's sheep, I am immune to the wages of sin.

John 5:24 . . I assure you, those who listen to my message, and believe in
God who sent me, have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their
sins, but they have already passed from death into life. (cf. John 10:27-28)

FAQ: How is it possible to have immunity to the wages of sin? Isn't that an
obstruction of justice?

REPLY: It certainly would be an obstruction of justice had I not been a joint
participant in Christ's crucifixion.

Rom 6:3 . . Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ
Jesus were baptized into his death?

Gal 2:20 . . I am crucified with Christ
_
Great Testimony/Post

Reactions: amigo de christo

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; that they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us...” — John 17:20, 21

It is often asked, “What is the right denomination?” There are hundreds, if not thousands of denominations all claiming to be this one true church, but does God recognize any of these as His representative on earth? This subject should be approached prayerfully and honestly. If there was but one church in the beginning, established by our Lord, there should be but the one church in the end — the church triumphant in glory. Colossians 3:4

The word church was first used in the New Testament and is a translation of the Greek word ekklesia, which means a calling out. Jesus said to his disciples, “I have chosen you out of the world.” (John 15:19) The true church is a company of believers who, in accepting the invitation of Christ, have become sanctified or separated from the world, worldly pursuits and worldly organizations.

Those of the early church bore no denominational names, but were simply identified by their location. “Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, …sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints…” (1 Corinthians 1:2) These sanctified individuals in various communities set themselves apart from the world and dedicate their lives to God through the merit of His Son. Thus, the true church is not a place to go to, nor is it a denomination to belong to. The church is the gathering of sincere believers. Paul emphasized this when he confirmed that Jesus’ followers were baptized only into Christ and not into an earthly organization. There is but one baptism, and that is into Christ. Thus, it is a misconception that one joins or is baptized into a particular church denomination. Ephesians 4:4-6; Galatians 3:27; Romans 6:3, 4
The church, the Eklesia, those called out , is us. The faithful in Christ called out of the world and into God's grace.

Reactions: Keturah

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was baptized an infant into Catholicism and anon attended enough
catechism to complete First Holy Communion and Confirmation. I was
schooled to believe the RCC was the one true church. However: the Church
likens itself to Noah's Ark.

Well the rub there is that nobody aboard the Ark perished in the Flood. So if
The Church really were akin to Noah's Ark, then no Catholic should end up
on the wrong side of things; but I'm pretty sure Rome expects to lose a
number of its followers to perdition because should a Catholic leave this life
with just one mortal sin on the books pending absolution-- just one --they go
straight to Hell; no stopover in a Purgatory.

Well, last time I checked, Pew Research suggests more than half of
American Catholics are lapsed. No doubt those folks are accumulating quite
a list of mortal sins against themselves to be examined at the event depicted
at Rev 20:11-15 when books are opened. Ouch!

* I am not only a lapsed Catholic, but also an apostate Catholic, having
renounced The Church and thrown in with the Protestants back in 1968.
However, I am in no danger of perdition because as one of the good
shepherd's sheep, I am immune to the wages of sin.

John 5:24 . . I assure you, those who listen to my message, and believe in
God who sent me, have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their
sins, but they have already passed from death into life. (cf. John 10:27-28)

FAQ: How is it possible to have immunity to the wages of sin? Isn't that an
obstruction of justice?

REPLY: It certainly would be an obstruction of justice had I not been a joint
participant in Christ's crucifixion.

Rom 6:3 . . Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ
Jesus were baptized into his death?

Gal 2:20 . . I am crucified with Christ
_
Catholics can be part of the One True Church only if they are spiritually re-born as understanding adults.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Catholics can be part of the One True Church only if they are spiritually re-born as understanding adults.
We must remember too that Roman Catholics are led to have faith in the church. Faith alone in Christ was decreed anathema,a curse, by their Council of Trent.
There was a list of anathemas, 5 solas, pertaining to faith in Christ and the gospel.

Belief in Christ alone is a curse? :disappointed:

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Peace - i was raised RCC and fully confirmed.

How do you(RCC) define spiritually re-born?
Well I've been told many times by Catholics that the Catholic church is the one and only true church and a baby is born again, or spiritually re-born, at its infant baptism.

I believe that true spiritual re-birth only occurs when through revelation by the Holy Spirit a person admits to their need of forgiveness, turns from their sin (repents) and gives their life to Jesus. At which time they become Christians - followers of Jesus.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I've been told many times by Catholics that the Catholic church is the one and only true church and a baby is born again, or spiritually re-born, at its infant baptism.

I believe that true spiritual re-birth only occurs when through revelation by the Holy Spirit a person admits to their need of forgiveness, turns from their sin (repents) and gives their life to Jesus. At which time they become Christians - followers of Jesus.
Excellent - reject the RCC version and fully embrace the TRUE Edict from God = John 3:1-21 and 1 Peter 1:23

Lord Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

Apostle Peter - Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever,

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We must remember too that Roman Catholics are led to have faith in the church. Faith alone in Christ was decreed anathema,a curse, by their Council of Trent.
Wrong. One interpretation of "faith alone" was rejected by the Church, and that particular interpretation is also rejected by Arminian Protestants, who were bickering with Antinomian Protestants. If by "faith alone", you mean faith, undivided from hope and love, then the Catholic has no problem with "faith alone". St. Paul does not compartmentalize the cardinal virtues, they are in harmony.
There was a list of anathemas,
The use of the word anathema has evolved during the history of the Church, and today it means the same thing as excommunication. (The word anathema is no longer officially used.) Because a person must be a Catholic to be anathema (excommunicated) the term does not apply to Protestants.
There is endless debate of what the first 2 solas mean. (sola scriptura, sola fide). I think they should be confined to a separate thread. However, the basic framework of Sola Gratia (“grace alone”) Solus Christus (“Christ alone”):Soli Deo Gloria (“to the glory of God alone”) has always existed in the Catholic Church. They weren't "rediscovered", the reformers borrowed from the CC.

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just a follow up here with @Pearl and all who are Called.

You said: "true spiritual re-birth only occurs when through revelation by the Holy Spirit..."

God knowing ALL Things, especially the deceits of man and false apostles, spoke these words - Matthew 16:13-16

When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?”

So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”

He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”

Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you,
but My Father who is in heaven.

Can you see
why this Gospel Message came forward and involved a specific individual who answered the Call.....???

Last edited:
Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well I've been told many times by Catholics that the Catholic church is the one and only true church
The Catholic Church is the original historic Christian Church, but the Catholic Church does not claim to be the only church with truths. There are stupid Catholics just as there are stupid Protestants. We are instructed to accept all baptized believers as brothers and sisters in the Lord. We are all united by virtue of the Trinity. I notice that most anti-trinitarians are also anti-Protestant.
The CC is NOT anti-Protestant, if one bothers to read her teachings. Wounds to Unity: (CCC817-820)
and a baby is born again, or spiritually re-born, at its infant baptism.
Because Catholics don't reject Original Sin. Luther and Calvin, the 2 pillars of Protestantism, baptized infants. It was not a reformist issue. Adult only baptism was invented AFTER the Protestant revolt.
Yes, and that is why the CC gives instructions to adults as to what it means to be a Christian before baptism. PARENTS are the primary educator of Christian values by their example, schools and churches are secondary educators. That's why parents take vows "to raise them up in the way they must go" (Proverbs 22:6) The Bible gives no age restriction for baptism.

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I refuse and refuse bodly to enter into convenant with a harlot . Peroid .
Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ?

Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a harlot?
Certainly not!
Or do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body with her? For “the two,” He says, “shall become one flesh.”

But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him.

1Corinthians ch6

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to Catholic dot com, born again is accomplished via the ritual of
water baptism. Long story short: folks who've undergone water bapism by
a Protestant minister are not yet born again, and in grave danger of ending
up on the wrong side of things.
_

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
_
"Catholic dot com" says no such thing. Catholicism accepts most Protestant baptisms as VALID; you have no idea why.
Since you are too scared to post the actual link in question, I'll do it for you.

You are not on a mission from God to further divide the Body of Christ with your sick Pelagian view of the CC. You need to stop blaming the CC for the spiritual abuse you received from a dysfunctional family. You've been at this for 50+ years, and it's about time you grew up, let Jesus heal you of your painful childhood, and stop throwing snotty remarks all over the internet.

Last edited:

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wrong. One interpretation of "faith alone" was rejected by the Church, and that particular interpretation is also rejected by Arminian Protestants, who were bickering with Antinomian Protestants. If by "faith alone", you mean faith, undivided from hope and love, then the Catholic has no problem with "faith alone". St. Paul does not compartmentalize the cardinal virtues, they are in harmony.

The use of the word anathema has evolved during the history of the Church, and today it means the same thing as excommunication. (The word anathema is no longer officially used.) Because a person must be a Catholic to be anathema (excommunicated) the term does not apply to Protestants.

There is endless debate of what the first 2 solas mean. (sola scriptura, sola fide). I think they should be confined to a separate thread. However, the basic framework of Sola Gratia (“grace alone”) Solus Christus (“Christ alone”):Soli Deo Gloria (“to the glory of God alone”) has always existed in the Catholic Church. They weren't "rediscovered", the reformers borrowed from the CC.
Council of Trent - Solas and Anathema, (cursed, excommunicated)

Following the deep division in the church which had resulted from the Protestant Reformation, there was a widespread desire, which grew stronger and was expressed in a variety of ways, for an ecumenical council. Its aim would be to reject errors against faith, add strength to the official teaching, restore the unity of the church, and reform the standards of the Roman curia and of church discipline.1 (Full list of Solas @ link: Theology Thursday - Anathema! The Council of Trent on Justification | SHARPER IRON )

Also, per the members discussion of reverence of dead saints:

Myth: Trent “damned to hell” those who do not agree with the decrees they issued.

Fact: The canons, or decrees, issued by Trent all include the term “anathema.” For example, the Council of Trent, session XXII, canon V, reads: “If anyone saith, that it is an imposture to celebrate Masses in honor of the saints and for obtaining their intercession with God, as the Church intends, let him be anathema.” The word anathema is a Greek word meaning to separate, suspend or set aside, not “damn to hell.” The Church does cut off or excommunicate Catholics who consciously and publicly deny the canons of Trent because the canons affirm the teachings of Christ. These Catholics are welcomed back when willing to be reconciled with the Church’s teachings.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I refuse and refuse bodly to enter into convenant with a harlot . Peroid .
Your "refisal" to enter into a converstion with ANYMODY violates the Word of God:

2 Pet. 3:15

"...but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, ALWAYS being prepared to make a defense to ANYONE who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you:

Good job . . .

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
_
Question: Do you mean = folks who claim 'born-again' from water baptism thru BOTH catholicism and Protestant(ism) are BOTH in grave danger of ending up on the wrong side of things....

BOTH? Yeah or Nay?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Council of Trent - Solas and Anathema, (cursed, excommunicated)

Following the deep division in the church which had resulted from the Protestant Reformation, there was a widespread desire, which grew stronger and was expressed in a variety of ways, for an ecumenical council. Its aim would be to reject errors against faith, add strength to the official teaching, restore the unity of the church, and reform the standards of the Roman curia and of church discipline.1 (Full list of Solas @ link: Theology Thursday - Anathema! The Council of Trent on Justification | SHARPER IRON )

Also, per the members discussion of reverence of dead saints:

Myth: Trent “damned to hell” those who do not agree with the decrees they issued.

Fact: The canons, or decrees, issued by Trent all include the term “anathema.” For example, the Council of Trent, session XXII, canon V, reads: “If anyone saith, that it is an imposture to celebrate Masses in honor of the saints and for obtaining their intercession with God, as the Church intends, let him be anathema.” The word anathema is a Greek word meaning to separate, suspend or set aside, not “damn to hell.” The Church does cut off or excommunicate Catholics who consciously and publicly deny the canons of Trent because the canons affirm the teachings of Christ. These Catholics are welcomed back when willing to be reconciled with the Church’s teachings.
WRONG.

The Anathemaas issued at Trent were about iso facto excommunication - NOT eternal damnation.
This is a BIBLICAL prescription for the unruly (1 Cor. s 5:1-6, 1 Tim. 1:20).

Thus Church does NOT teach that the Church has the power to damn ANYBODY'S soul.
Get your facts
straight . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
water baptism.
Long story short: folks who've undergone water bapism by

_
This is PRECISELY the type of ignorance that seduced you out of the Church.

Your claims is PATENTLY FALSE.
Christian Trinitarian Baptism is recognized in the Catholic Church. It is CATHOLIC Baptism that is not accepted by vurtually EVERY Protestant sect.

You guys can't just come here spreading your LIES without expecting to be exposed . . .