What is the purpose of prayer?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Bible tells us to pray, but I wonder what the purpose is?

Can we bargain or demand things from the Creator of the universe, like some sort of genie? (and I confess I have prayed like this before) "Give me happiness and long life, and I'll go to Church every sunday in return?" Obviously not - the idea is offensive that the servant is making demands of the master.

Can we beg the Creator to change His will? "If it is your will, heal my sickness"? At the least, this displays humility, but God's will is perfect as is God's plan. So should God change His perfect plan to a less-perfect plan because we have influenced His will with our petition? Perhaps God takes pity on our temporary suffering and delays or reduces our rewards in heaven in order to make our present circumstances more bearable? In which case - wouldn't it be better not to petition God and rather travel the more difficult path for greater rewards? Yet the Bible tells us to pray, so this cannot be the case.

Perhaps, God is lonely on His throne, He needs companionship and praise, and rewards those who bring Him joy? Yet the Bible says, God has no darkness in him. So clearly, God gains nothing from our worship, there is nothing we can give Him that would change Him, as He is already of perfect peace of mind.

So - what is the purpose of prayer and worship? The only conclusion I can come to, is that we pray to God to communicate, not words or desires, or requests, but divine qualities. We pray to God in order to become more like God, to receive a portion of God's wisdom and strength of will and peace of mind. If God answers a prayer, it is not because we prayed, but because God has caused us to pray and we have fulfilled His will in doing so. Whatever ordeal we faced was put before us, to humble us enough to make us pray for deliverance; and that the real result of the prayer wasn't that we had been saved from our earthly problem, but that we had been taught humility. If our loved one is sick and we pray for them, the real purpose of the prayer is not that they be healed, but that we gain compassion. If we pray to give thanks, the result is that our own joy in the benevolence of God is increased. Therefore, we pray not from our own will, but by God's will, and our prayers don't change the world, but change ourselves.

Thoughts?

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is a believer's God and Father and God wants to have us talk and fellowship with Him===prayer.

-Phil

Nov 22, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can we bargain or demand things from the Creator of the universe, like some sort of genie?
In non-bargaining, non-demanding, in deed therein the genie shall be as the living proof, and therein, so much love.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Thoughts?

Depends on the type of prayer.
Most of the time, a person prays for "help".

So, in this case, they, we, us, are asking for God to change a situation that is harming us, or someone we love.
When God steps into the situation and changes the circumstances so that the HARM is stopped and gone,, then He has answered it for you.

Reactions: Nancy

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Depends on the type of prayer.
Most of the time, a person prays for "help".

So, in this case, they, we, us, are asking for God to change a situation that is harming us, or someone we love.
When God steps into the situation and changes the circumstances so that the HARM is stopped and gone,, then He has answered it for you.
God caused the situation, and God ends the situation, what has changed in between? It can't be that God changed the world because of us, but rather that God changed us, and then, having accomplished His purpose, no longer needed to maintain the challenge placed upon us and gives us our relief from it.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Can we bargain or demand things from the Creator of the universe, like some sort of genie? (and I confess I have prayed like this before) "Give me happiness and long life, and I'll go to Church every sunday in return?" Obviously not - the idea is offensive that the servant is making demands of the master.

Can we beg the Creator to change His will? "If it is your will, heal my sickness"? At the least, this displays humility, but God's will is perfect as is God's plan. So should God change His perfect plan to a less-perfect plan because we have influenced His will with our petition? Perhaps God takes pity on our temporary suffering and delays or reduces our rewards in heaven in order to make our present circumstances more bearable? In which case - wouldn't it be better not to petition God and rather travel the more difficult path for greater rewards? Yet the Bible tells us to pray, so this cannot be the case.

Perhaps, God is lonely on His throne, He needs companionship and praise, and rewards those who bring Him joy? Yet the Bible says, God has no darkness in him. So clearly, God gains nothing from our worship, there is nothing we can give Him that would change Him, as He is already of perfect peace of mind.

So - what is the purpose of prayer and worship? The only conclusion I can come to, is that we pray to God to communicate, not words or desires, or requests, but divine qualities. We pray to God in order to become more like God, to receive a portion of God's wisdom and strength of will and peace of mind. If God answers a prayer, it is not because we prayed, but because God has caused us to pray and we have fulfilled His will in doing so. Whatever ordeal we faced was put before us, to humble us enough to make us pray for deliverance; and that the real result of the prayer wasn't that we had been saved from our earthly problem, but that we had been taught humility. If our loved one is sick and we pray for them, the real purpose of the prayer is not that they be healed, but that we gain compassion. If we pray to give thanks, the result is that our own joy in the benevolence of God is increased. Therefore, we pray not from our own will, but by God's will, and our prayers don't change the world, but change ourselves.

Thoughts?
Yes, I've thought a lot about these things. I've ended up despairing of prayer because often God says no, and regardless, it seems He always has His own plan in mind anyway? How can I hope to influence the God of the whole universe?

Well, God is so large that He can also be very small and enter into the world of the meek, of the individual, and hear every single thought. Who knows what He will honor with respect to our prayers? It just seems He wants us to pray when so motivated, when we need to look to Him for wisdom. Regardless of whether He has some better plan in mind, how can it hurt to ask? On occasion we do get obvious answers to prayer.

I think God wants our relationship with Him. To do that we have to talk to Him. We should just pour out our heart and mind, and say what we think. His Spirit will guide us to pray things properly, and submit to His "no's."

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I've thought a lot about these things. I've ended up despairing of prayer because often God says no, and regardless, it seems He always has His own plan in mind anyway? How can I hope to influence the God of the whole universe?

Well, God is so large that He can also be very small and enter into the world of the meek, of the individual, and hear every single thought. Who knows what He will honor with respect to our prayers? It just seems He wants us to pray when so motivated, when we need to look to Him for wisdom. Regardless of whether He has some better plan in mind, how can it hurt to ask? On occasion we do get obvious answers to prayer.

I think God wants our relationship with Him. To do that we have to talk to Him. We should just pour out our heart and mind, and say what we think. His Spirit will guide us to pray things properly, and submit to His "no's."
Dang, you said what I wanted to say.:Broadly:

I was thrown by Matthew 6:8, "So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him" until I realized that any relationship requires communication. God already knows what we need, but it's more for our own sake in this relationship that He wants us to ask. And He may, just may, plan the timing of what He planned to do anyway just for the sake of our prayers.

Similarly, prayer time is also when I get to tell God what's on my mind, even though He already knew. (And it's to His praise and glory that He doesn't get bored with my stuff, thank you, Heavenly Father.) And sometimes He lets me know what's on His mind.

What do they say are the three most important things in a relationship? Communication, communication, and communication.

Reactions: GracefulWarrior

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God caused the situation, and God ends the situation, what has changed in between? It can't be that God changed the world because of us, but rather that God changed us, and then, having accomplished His purpose, no longer needed to maintain the challenge placed upon us and gives us our relief from it.

God did through Christ reconcile the world unto himself.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thoughts?

Dang, you said what I wanted to say.:Broadly:

I was thrown by Matthew 6:8, "So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him" until I realized that any relationship requires communication. God already knows what we need, but it's more for our own sake in this relationship that He wants us to ask. And He may, just may, plan the timing of what He planned to do anyway just for the sake of our prayers.

Similarly, prayer time is also when I get to tell God what's on my mind, even though He already knew. (And it's to His praise and glory that He doesn't get bored with my stuff, thank you, Heavenly Father.) And sometimes He lets me know what's on His mind.

What do they say are the three most important things in a relationship? Communication, communication, and communication.
It's good to be with you on the same wavelength! I think the more we communicate with God the more He helps us to understand things. James said we should pray for wisdom. When we do so, we find God filling our minds with thoughts that are indeed wise. God bless this Christmas season.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thoughts?
Paul tells us to pray constantly (1 Thessalonians 5:17). We are told the first and great commandment is to love the Lord with all our hearts, minds, and souls (Matthew 22:34-40). Don't the two go together?

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Prayer can also be connected to the sacrificial system in Leviticus. Which when sacrifice is understood from the Hebrew language it is to draw near to God. This can also be prayer. We want to draw near to God.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prayer can also be connected to the sacrificial system in Leviticus. Which when sacrifice is understood from the Hebrew language it is to draw near to God. This can also be prayer. We want to draw near to God.
To communicate with someone you have to either be right next to them or use an electronic device that travels fairly rapidly). It means that one must go to lengths to want to communicate, and as such, is an act that expresses will and care. I would definitely say that prayer is drawing near to God, yes. :)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James to his audience suggest they do the same

James 4​

New International Version​

Submit Yourselves to God​

4 What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? 2 You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. 3 When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.
4 You adulterous people,[a] don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God?Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think Scripture says without reason that he jealously longs for the spirit he has caused to dwell in us[b]? 6 But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:
“God opposes the proud
but shows favor to the humble.”[c]
7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.9 Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

Reactions: Ancient