What is the purpose of the Tribulation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
This subject came up in another topic, and I wanted to explore it a little further, and get other people's opinion on it. What do you see is the purpose of the Tribulation?

Just to be fair, let me give my answer. I believe that the tribulation will serve 3 purposes.

1) To refine Unsaved Israel, bringing them into a saving relationship with Jesus Christ
2) To awaken the 'fense-sitters' and force them to make a decision. Just to clarify, I consider a fense sitter someone who hasn't outright rejected the Lord's salvation, but they haven't accepted it either.
3) And the third purpose is to punish the unbelieving earth for their rejection of God's Salvation.

What do you think?

Joshua David

i believe the purpose of the tribulation is to bring Satan, and the entire world system under his control, to an end.

1Thess 5:3 says Whenever it is that they are saying: “Peace and security!” then sudden destruction is to be instantly upon them

Charlie

Feb 12, 2011
i believe the purpose of the tribulation is to bring Satan, and the entire world system under his control, to an end.

1Thess 5:3 says Whenever it is that they are saying: “Peace and security!” then sudden destruction is to be instantly upon them

One thing the 7 year tribulation will do is fulfill prophecies.

Daniel's 70 weeks, for instance, and there are other OT prophecies as well as NT prophecies, including much of Revelations.

The end of the 7years will be the point at which all Israel will be saved, spiritually.

Those who follow replacement theology will not agree with this but the fact is the Church has not replaced Israel in the eyes of God, the father.

God bless you. Charlie

Holy Pursuit

May 29, 2011
I didn't read all the posts in this thread, but to answer the OP question:
the tribulation is for the perfecting of the saints!

Blessings.

Reactions: Prentis

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia

One thing the 7 year tribulation will do is fulfill prophecies.

do you think it will be for a literal time of 7 years?

Daniel's 70 weeks, for instance, and there are other OT prophecies as well as NT prophecies, including much of Revelations.

Yes i agree there will be other fulfillments taking place during the tribulation. Revelation says that babylon the great will be greatly affected to the point where the kings of the earth and the commercial system (merchants) will weep over her. Her destruction will mark the beginning of the great tribulation. The NT also says the 'sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light and the stars will fall from heaven' so there may be some physical phenomenon occuring...or these could represent something else such as prominent organizations or people or rulers.

I believe the 70 weeks prophecy was fulfilled already though. That is the prophecy given to Daniel while he was in exile in Babylon which foretold the timing of the Messiahs arrival. "Seventy weeks have been determined upon your people...From the going forth of the word to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until Messiah the Leader..."

The end of the 7years will be the point at which all Israel will be saved, spiritually.

Those who follow replacement theology will not agree with this but the fact is the Church has not replaced Israel in the eyes of God, the father.

God bless you. Charlie

Yeah i dont believe that natrual Isreal will be gathered. Salvation will come to them when they accept Christ as the Messiah.

Charlie

Feb 12, 2011
name='Pegg' timestamp='1307750903' post='113871']
do you think it will be for a literal time of 7 years.

Charlie -- Yes

I believe the 70 weeks prophecy was fulfilled already though. That is the prophecy given to Daniel while he was in exile in Babylon which foretold the timing of the Messiahs arrival. "Seventy weeks have been determined upon your people...From the going forth of the word to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until Messiah the Leader..."

Charlie -- Dan 9:25- 27 reads, as follows.

Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times. And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined. And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

The 7 years during which the covenant was to be confirmed for one week must come after Messiah was cut off. Messiah was cut off in the first century but the covenant has not yet been confirmed for the 7 'weeks'. That will be the 7 years of tribulation.

Yeah i dont believe that natrual Isreal will be gathered. Salvation will come to them when they accept Christ as the Messiah.

Charlie -- They will accept Messiah at the end of the 7 years and receive spiritual salvation.

God Bless you. Charlie

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
New Hampshire's North Woods

I agree. A lot of 'Christians' will get saved. The Mark of the Beast will be one of the greatest blessings ever for humans.

I can't agree that the mark of the beast....which is limited to the ten nation Islamic Empire of the beast, can be a blessing for anyone.

The tribulation can be a blessing in disguise...but the mark! Sorry. I can't agree!

I didn't read all the posts in this thread, but to answer the OP question:
the tribulation is for the perfecting of the saints!

Blessings.

...and many will also turn to Christ out of distress!

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

Rev 14:9-10
9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of His indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
(KJV)

BibleScribe

Jun 17, 2011
S.W. USA
This subject came up in another topic, and I wanted to explore it a little further, and get other people's opinion on it. What do you see is the purpose of the Tribulation?

Just to be fair, let me give my answer. I believe that the tribulation will serve 3 purposes.

1) To refine Unsaved Israel, bringing them into a saving relationship with Jesus Christ
2) To awaken the 'fense-sitters' and force them to make a decision. Just to clarify, I consider a fense sitter someone who hasn't outright rejected the Lord's salvation, but they haven't accepted it either.
3) And the third purpose is to punish the unbelieving earth for their rejection of God's Salvation.

What do you think?

Joshua David

Hi Joshua David,

I fully agree with your assessment. I couldn't have said it better!

BibleScribe

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
It is for the purpose of testing those on earth per Rev.3:10.

There's to be yet another test at the end of Christ's future "thousand years" reign.

Christ's elect were chosen before the foundation of this world. They are already 'sealed' and cannot be deceived during the tribulation.

Those 'called' who believe on Christ Jesus through the elect's word (preaching) will be tested by Satan and his host, and can still fall away to deception. Some will, and some won't. Believers on Christ Jesus not chosen before the foundation of the world is the main group to be tested. Christ's Church will still be here on earth for that testing of the great tribulation, for that is the main purpose of the tribulation, to test those called but not chosen.

Only those who overcome the beast, waiting for Jesus to return, will be of the first resurrection, and be made kings and priests to rule with Christ Jesus during the future thousand years. The deceived among Christ's body will not be of the first resurrection, but will still be subject to the second death along with the wicked.

Christ Jesus and His elect priests will teach God's Truth to the deceived during the "thousand years" (Isaiah 29:24; Rev.3:9). Those easily deceived in ignorance because of God having ordained them to the "spirit of slumber", having closed their eyes so they could not see His Truth, will have their first opportunity to understand and believe with their eyes opened. Those who believed and understood, but fell away like the five foolish virgins will bear their iniquity, and will serve the people in menial duties around God's House, in shame (i.e., the naked and shame idea our Lord Jesus warned of in Rev.16:15).

Those who come to Christ Jesus during the thousand years will be tested at the end, when Satan is released one last time to deceive the nations. Those who overcome will be of the second resurrection unto Christ Jesus, their names found in the Book of Life. Any other who's name not found in that Book will perish with Satan and his angels in the lake of fire.

This is why escapism is a dangerous doctrine for our times, because it means having already given up before the battle has even started. If Christ's chosen elect will be here on earth for the tribulation, like our Lord Jesus showed in Matthew 24 and Mark 13, then the only 'called' believers definitely will be too, for they are the main ones to be tested during the tribulation.