WHAT IS THE SIN UNTO DEATH?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How long would a person need to listen to and follow the Spirit without interruption before all of the work on the new man was completed? Not long I am sure! We are speaking of God working within us!
.... 0.137 seconds ? ---- "twinkling of an eye" ..... ? :)

(more rare than gold, though, ye more rare than much fine gold , purer also than silver refined seven times .... never seen by most people anywhere )

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a point of no return!

Thinking to ourselves for example: God forgave me before so if I do this one sin just once more He will certainly forgive me again". Then having thought and going ahead and sinning before I have the opportunity to repent as I am sitting in my easy chair lightning strikes my home killing me instantaneously...
poignant ,

sobering

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 5:16 Say's to me that, there IS a point of no return for some. NOT that God would not yet, still extend His Amazing Grace grace to a repentant sinner
Just noticed and reminded of this:

From the Greek, translating or paraphrasing if desired:

God KEEPS RESCHEDULING our days, to be TODAY, giving as many as He does ANOTHER CHANCE to LISTEN to HIM, to HEAR HIS VOICE ... and DO what is needed to be rescued, saved, healed, obedient, joyously, freely, perfectly,
as God Says ...

Otherwise, after "Today IF you HEAR HIS VOICE, DO NOT REBEL as they did in the wilderness and PERISH")
would happen once (perhaps)
in our lives, and IF we did rebel again, we would perish then and there..... perhaps as Adam did, or worse even,
because it is also written: if God DID NOT spare those who refused to listen to Him when He spoke from the mountain , (He did not spare them) ,
HOW MUCH MORE God will not spare those who refuse to listen to His Precious Son TODAY.... Jesus Who WE CRUCIFIED.... Who died for us, to save us from all of our sin....

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just noticed and reminded of this:

From the Greek, translating or paraphrasing if desired:

God KEEPS RESCHEDULING our days, to be TODAY, giving as many as He does ANOTHER CHANCE to LISTEN to HIM, to HEAR HIS VOICE ... and DO what is needed to be rescued, saved, healed, obedient, joyously, freely, perfectly,
as God Says ...

Otherwise, after "Today IF you HEAR HIS VOICE, DO NOT REBEL as they did in the wilderness and PERISH")
would happen once (perhaps)
in our lives, and IF we did rebel again, we would perish then and there..... perhaps as Adam did, or worse even,
because it is also written: if God DID NOT spare those who refused to listen to Him when He spoke from the mountain , (He did not spare them) ,
HOW MUCH MORE God will not spare those who refuse to listen to His Precious Son TODAY.... Jesus Who WE CRUCIFIED.... Who died for us, to save us from all of our sin....

Amen, He is so long suffering and patient with us! These are the verses so many pastors will not speak on and so many "Christians" won't "hear". Jesus said a lot of hard things, and He meant them :)

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen, He is so long suffering and patient with us! These are the verses so many pastors will not speak on and so many "Christians" won't "hear". Jesus said a lot of hard things, and He meant them
Yes, with sorrow and grief as Jesus was acquainted with, even today,

so many are cooped up with false comfort zone, poor beliefs, unbelief even, wanting to stay comfortable and not be bothered with truth...

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well John,
I hope your fingers are still working, lol!

"On the other hand, people who have been in the world, but of God in any measure, and then have gone back into sin, have already used up their one free chance."

"For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame." Heb 6:4-6"

You of course, have many good and valid points, thank you. The above verses have bothered me in the past as, I DID walk away after 3 years. BUT...I also do not believe I was ever saved to begin with so, sure hoping I and others also have not "used up our last chance"....And, as amazing as His grace is, yes He has a limit...and especially seeing as how God's people in the OT tried Him time and time again, and knowing we (Christians) will be held to more account! I feel for Moses, lol....But as you said, "the more one is given..."
This time around for me is totally different than it was back then, totally! And, what Christians would even want to sin anyhow?
Thanks John,
God Bless and praying for all that is going on with you and your wife and family.
Nancy

Reactions: amadeus

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting. 1 Cor. 5:5 say's to give the sinning believers "up to Satan"...so at least their souls would be saved even if they die physically so, was it God who struck them dead or did He just simply allow Satan to kill them, I wonder. Then I think of Priscilla and Aquila...

Giving the sinning believers "up to Satan" is the same as shunning. The only way this person can be saved is if they repent. That is the purpose of shunning. It's a "wake up call." If they die in their sins, their soul is NOT saved. It is all about getting someone to repent.

Go to the next letter, chapter 2 and 7.

2 Corinthians 2:
6 This punishment which was inflicted by the majority is sufficient for such a man, 7 so that, on the contrary, you ought rather to forgive and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one be swallowed up with too much sorrow. 8 Therefore I urge you to reaffirm your love to him. 9 For to this end I also wrote, that I might put you to the test, whether you are obedient in all things. 10 Now whom you forgive anything, I also forgive. For if indeed I have forgiven anything, I have forgiven that one for your sakes in the presence of Christ, 11 lest Satan should take advantage of us; for we are not ignorant of his devices.

7:10 For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well John,
I hope your fingers are still working, lol!

I know you weren't being serious, but nevertheless...

I break from my computer once in a while and go back to my piano. I've never been good at it, but I enjoy it. I took piano lessons as a child. A couple years ago I gave away my very old piano that needed more work to make it right than I was willing or able to pay and bought an electronic one. I can tell the difference but I can live with it. It works well for my purposes and using earphones I can play it anytime of the day or night without disturbing anyone. My fingers do cramp up on me my once in a while with arthritis and the piano helps them more than the computer keyboard.

You of course, have many good and valid points, thank you. The above verses have bothered me in the past as, I DID walk away after 3 years. BUT...I also do not believe I was ever saved to begin with so, sure hoping I and others also have not "used up our last chance"....And, as amazing as His grace is, yes He has a limit...and especially seeing as how God's people in the OT tried Him time and time again, and knowing we (Christians) will be held to more account! I feel for Moses, lol....But as you said, "the more one is given..."
This time around for me is totally different than it was back then, totally! And, what Christians would even want to sin anyhow?

God's limit for us is defined in part by the time allotted to each of us as a creature of dying flesh. Excluding perhaps King Hezekiah, we don't know just how much times remains for us... so waiting for tomorrow to do what can be and should be done today is an error already. We can look at our own past as you have done here and as I have done many times, but right now is all that we have for sure... and it could end at any time.

Thanks John,
God Bless and praying for all that is going on with you and your wife and family.
Nancy
Thanks again for the prayers. They continue to be necessary.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Giving the sinning believers "up to Satan" is the same as shunning. The only way this person can be saved is if they repent. That is the purpose of shunning. It's a "wake up call." If they die in their sins, their soul is NOT saved. It is all about getting someone to repent.

Like someone who sins , denying Jesus, their soul is NOT saved, and (I agree, if they call themself a believer) they should be SHUNNED as GOD SAYS in HIS WORD.

If they repent, GOOD ! YES ! THEY CAN BE SAVED, AS GOD SAYS !

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
5. If that Christian persists in sinning, in spite of being admonished and prayed for, then it becomes a sin unto death. That person will die prematurely so that the testimony of Christ is not damaged.

So do you believe his soul is still saved?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 3:4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness.

This type of sin is a sin unto death. It is breaking a KNOWN law of God. Therefore it is willfully committing unrepentant wickedness.

A sin not unto death is an unintentional sin that is not known to the transgressor. It is a trespass that you might not even be aware of to repent of. It is NOT against any Law of God, but another person is emotionally harmed from your actions. In these cases, we should get involved to bring reconciliation to the two parties concerned. Also, we should go to bed each night having forgiven your brethren of hurting you, then these unknown trespasses will be automatically forgiven by our Advocate. (Jesus is not our Advocate for sins unto death above where their is no remorse.)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So do you believe his soul is still saved?
Is salvation based on faith or works? That seems to be an endless debate.

We are justified by a single act of obedience, according to Romans 5. That act of obedience was what Jesus did, not us. So there's your answer.

Much love!

Reactions: mailmandan

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith and works , including destroying the works of the devil, are BOTH evident in any living believer in Jesus.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people jump to the conclusion that John is talking about believers committing certain sins that lead them to spiritual death, but that does not seem to fit the context:

1 John 5:16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death. 18 We know that whoever is born of God does not sin;

(does not [deliberately and knowingly] practice committing sin, AMPC)

but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not touch him.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is salvation based on faith or works? That seems to be an endless debate.

We are justified by a single act of obedience, according to Romans 5. That act of obedience was what Jesus did, not us. So there's your answer.

Much love!

Our assurance is based on our obedience to keep His commandments. We must abide in Him, and He in us. You have it one sided. Good luck with that. Even the demons can do that much.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our assurance is based on our obedience to keep His commandments. We must abide in Him, and He in us. You have it one sided. Good luck with that. Even the demons can do that much.
The demons may believe “mental assent” that “there is one God,” (James 2:19) but they do not believe in/have faith in/trust in/reliance in Jesus Christ for salvation. In other words, they do not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:31) and are not saved. Their trust and reliance is in Satan (and not in Jesus) as demonstrated by their rebellion in heaven and continuous evil works.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The demons may believe “mental assent” that “there is one God,” (James 2:19) but they do not believe in/have faith in/trust in/reliance in Jesus Christ for salvation. In other words, they do not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:31) and are not saved. Their trust and reliance is in Satan (and not in Jesus) as demonstrated by their rebellion in heaven and continuous evil works.

So, do you believe as @marks believes, that all we need to show we have faith in Jesus is believe, and not be obedient; that keeping the commandments of Jesus is works? How is the head knowledge of demons any different than many Christians? And why is there an "AND" (meaning more than one) in the list of His commandments? 1 John 3:23-24

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think you have a good grasp on what I believe.

You have quoted that about works many times, so you don't have a grasp on the specific outward works Paul is talking about. Circumcision, keeping holy days, only eating clean meat.