What is the standard of modesty in terms of dress code?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In the beginning, Adam and Eve were both naked and it was okay. After the Fall, Genesis 3:

7 Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked. And they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loincloths.
Their patchwork wasn't good enough,

21 And the LORD God made for Adam and for his wife garments of skins and clothed them.
Concerning the Israelite priests, Exodus 28:

42 “Make linen undergarments as a covering for the body, reaching from the waist to the thigh. 43 Aaron and his sons must wear them whenever they enter the tent of meeting or approach the altar to minister in the Holy Place, so that they will not incur guilt and die.
Concerning the general Israelite population, Deuteronomy 22:

5 A woman shall not wear a man’s garment, nor shall a man put on a woman’s cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD your God.
Fast-forward to the NT, 1 Timothy 2:

likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire
Note that it is not just being modest but it is being respectable also.

I can't find any detailed dress code in the Bible. I think it would depend on the local culture and local standards of respectability and modesty. Generally speaking, it is immodest to dress in such a way as to bring attention to your private parts.

Can a woman in Canada wear pants?

In Canada, it is normal for both men and women to wear pants. It is okay for a woman to wear pants modestly.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This must be a theory cobbled by a cold climate dweller.....one who hasn't lived in the sweltering jungles of the tropics.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the beginning, Adam and Eve were both naked and it was okay. After the Fall, Genesis 3:

Their patchwork wasn't good enough,

Concerning the Israelite priests, Exodus 28:

Concerning the general Israelite population, Deuteronomy 22:

Fast-forward to the NT, 1 Timothy 2:

Note that it is not just being modest but it is being respectable also.

I can't find any detailed dress code in the Bible. I think it would depend on the local culture and local standards of respectability and modesty. Generally speaking, it is immodest to dress in such a way as to bring attention to your private parts.

Can a woman in Canada wear pants?

In Canada, it is normal for both men and women to wear pants. It is okay for a woman to wear pants modestly.
Modesty is basically conforming to the culture so that you do not stand out and can go basically unnoticed with somewhat conservative clothing.

Can't dress like a prostitute, a Belle, or as a ultra conservative as all of these stand out in a crowd.

Reactions: marks and Cassandra

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say the base standard is keeping all the naughty bits covered -- and no camel toes or moose knuckles.

• Haha
Reactions: MA2444

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say the base standard is keeping all the naughty bits covered -- and no camel toes or moose knuckles.
The "naughty bits" used to be knee caps. My grandmother had her picture taken in a bathing suit that once was considered scandalous. (Form fitting one piece considered ultra conservative these days)

She didn't stay at the beach long that day as she was concerned she would get a ticket for wearing it.

The Hebrews coming out of slavery were accustomed to wearing extremely minimal clothing. Men wore a bit covering their punishment and women wore an extremely short apron that only covered her camel toe.
That's the main reason for explaining undergarments in scriptures....they hadn't had any before. Nudity, while not taboo, was a reference to slavery in Egypt where nobody paid for clothes for slaves.

Reactions: marks

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it's in Psalms that it says that God clothes Himself with light, and man is created in God's image so before the fall, Adam & Eve probably glowed with light. Like Jesus at the transfiguration. And the light covered them so that they were not naked, but covered.

After they fell they lost the covering of light and could see that were now naked.

Everybody already has an internal calibration of modestness within them and it's always reflected in their dress. I think women push the edge of the envelope because of high competition, but who wants to date a girl with green hair/. Piercings and tatoos all over? I call all them girls Tropical Fish. With Tropical Fish they are brightly colored as a warning because many of them are venomous in some way, So stay away from the tropical fish.

I always liked the old Western outfits the girls used to wear. (Not the Saloon girls!) Those big puffy dresses. They looked good on the girls, but not all those horrible hats they wore back then, lol! A womans dress says a lot about their moral character, who they are.

• Haha
Reactions: TonyChanYT

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Key should be to not stumble others into sin, and not inflame your own flesh. To show honor to God by how we appear to others.

That will mean different things to different people, but that's why we don't do legalism.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After they fell they lost the covering of light and could see that were now naked.
Genesis 3:11 KJV
And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?

I've considered this idea before, there is a certain appeal to it, but as I consider this verse, it is saying to me that Adam wouldn't know his nakedness by his changed appearance, that he had to come to that knowledge other than by simple observation.

I think it had more to do with how Adam thought, and perceived himself.

I've found that the more I'm communing with God, the more I'm becoming aligned with Him, the less I think about myself. I think a mature Christianity embodies a real selflessness, I wonder if this was more the case with Adam, that he simply did not consider his own state.

Much love!

Reactions: MA2444

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Genesis 3:11 KJV
And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?

I've considered this idea before, there is a certain appeal to it, but as I consider this verse, it is saying to me that Adam wouldn't know his nakedness by his changed appearance, that he had to come to that knowledge other than by simple observation.

I think it had more to do with how Adam thought, and perceived himself.

I've found that the more I'm communing with God, the more I'm becoming aligned with Him, the less I think about myself. I think a mature Christianity embodies a real selflessness, I wonder if this was more the case with Adam, that he simply did not consider his own state.

Much love!
'naked' is far more than being without clothes!
'clothes' are far more than a covering of gender determination.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'naked' is far more than being without clothes!
'clothes' are far more than a covering of gender determination.
Hebrews 4:11-13 KJV
11) Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
12) For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
13) Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

Much love!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
13 and in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. (Revelation 1:13, KJV)

If Jesus wears it, it must be acceptable clothing. But I hope even the most hardened KJV-only fanatic is uncomfortable with this talk about Jesus wearing a girdle around His nipples. (Greek: μαστοῖς, "mastois", breasts.)

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can read in Jeremiah 13:1-9 where God has Jeremiah use his dirty underwear as a prop for an object-lesson sermon:

13 This is what the Lord said to me: “Go and buy a linen belt and put it around your waist, but do not let it touch water.” 2 So I bought a belt, as the Lord directed, and put it around my waist. 3 Then the word of the Lord came to me a second time: 4 “Take the belt you bought and are wearing around your waist, and go now to Perath and hide it there in a crevice in the rocks.” 5 So I went and hid it at Perath, as the Lord told me. 6 Many days later the Lord said to me, “Go now to Perath and get the belt I told you to hide there.” 7 So I went to Perath and dug up the belt and took it from the place where I had hidden it, but now it was ruined and completely useless. 8 Then the word of the Lord came to me: 9 “This is what the Lord says: ‘In the same way I will ruin the pride of Judah and the great pride of Jerusalem.