What is the Treasure?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
Not sure how you expect to learn any new if you are too afraid to consider looking at scripture with fresh eyes.....guess the Pharisees had the same problem.

But, we are Christ's body.

Thats right, just keep reasoning and you will come back full circle to the original answer, it's us.

By all means, don't just read what Jesus said.

Axehead

May 9, 2012

• 2Co 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Luk_12:34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Is our focus on ourselves or Christ?

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
Brother,

Of course Jesus is within us, if we are born again.

However, the topic of this thread is - What is the treasure in the parable of the hidden treasure found in Matt 13:44?

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field...

The answer is "The Kingdom of Heaven" is the treasure.

In this parable, The Kingdom of Heaven is represented by treasure in a field.

It's that simple. What the kingdom of heaven is can be discussed.

What the treasure is, according to Jesus is The Kingdom of Heaven.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Interesting. I heard a powerful sermon today at a Protestant church.......the pastor gave an interpretation I had never thought of before.

He suggested that the treasure represented us. The man represented Jesus giving up everything for us - only He could have ransomed the treasure from the field by paying for the property. Admittedly, I was really blown away. What do you think?

The treasure is Christ. We forsake all in order to win Christ.

The reverse is also true...but is a fact that should actually encourage us to follow suit....not detract us from this pursuit.

I am my beloved and my beloved is mine...

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • 2Co 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Luk_12:34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Is our focus on ourselves or Christ?

Are you suggesting that viewing the treasure as us is somehow prideful or arrogant?

The treasure is Christ. We forsake all in order to win Christ.

The reverse is also true...but is a fact that should actually encourage us to follow suit....not detract us from this pursuit.

I am my beloved and my beloved is mine...

Is it really distracting us from pursuing Christ if we look at the parable as a story about Christ's love for us? Also, it seems more arrogant to believe we are capable of sacrificing everything for Christ or buy the field.

Look here is the deal JLB, I could careless how you choose to view the treasure in the story - it is your unwillingness to think beyond your preconceived notions about the story that is troubling. Remember, this is not my interpretation - I have nothing invested in it, at all - I just like to explore new ways of looking at old stories, which still focus on the truth of God.

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
Are you suggesting that viewing the treasure as us is somehow prideful or arrogant?

Is it really distracting us from pursuing Christ if we look at the parable as a story about Christ's love for us? Also, it seems more arrogant to believe we are capable of sacrificing everything for Christ or buy the field.

Look here is the deal JLB, I could careless how you choose to view the treasure in the story - it is your unwillingness to think beyond your preconceived notions about the story that is troubling. Remember, this is not my interpretation - I have nothing invested in it, at all - I just like to explore new ways of looking at old stories, which still focus on the truth of God.

OK,

your answer leads me to believe you are not reading what I'm writing.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I believe this conversation has been profitable for me. It has sparked a real interest in me to look at this parable and read multiple commentaries. Although, I believe the minister that I heard on Sunday provided an interesting interpretation of Matt 13:44, I have to agree with JLB and several other people who responded - the treasure is being compared to the Kingdom of God. I have emailed the minister and am interested in hearing his response!

Thanks everyone.

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
To know Him is our greatest treasure.

He is our exceedingly great reward.

Eternal life is to know God and Jesus Christ whom He sent.

The kingdom of heaven is within you.

Axehead

May 9, 2012

Actually, the idea to "forsake all and follow Jesus", comes from Jesus Christ Himself.

Luke 14:33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

Of course this cannot be done by ourselves. Anyone who thinks they can walk the Christian walk in their own strength is misguided. Only as we deny self and bring our will into harmony with His will by the power of the Holy Spirit within us can we fulfill His purposes.

Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Only by abiding in Christ, do we have any hope of forsaking all for Him. And absolutely no one can walk the Christian walk apart from the indwelling Spirit of God.

Axehead

Brothertom

All for Jesus no matter the cost.
May 1, 2012
Bottom of Illinois
"My strength is perfected in weakness."....Jesus

"We had the sentence of death upon us, so that we would not trust in ourselves, but God, who raises the dead."..Paul the Apostle.

We are vessels, that He may pick up, or sit down, and pour Himself into and out of as He desires......me.