What is your best argument for the existence of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pick from the tiers in this video, or present your own. Thanks.

WARNING --- You may find this video challenging, or even offensive.
Viewer discretion is advised.

Want to know how to prove that God exists, or how to convince an atheist of God's existence? This tier list may shed light on the difficulties in doing that, and the tools at your disposal.

What is the best argument for God's existence? Although I haven't yet found any which are without error, some arguments are better, or more convincing, than others. Apologetics can appear dry on the surface, but they're fascinating upon closer inspection. These arguments often sneak in false premises and tricky debate tactics which many don't catch. Here, though, I've analyzed some of the most popular arguments for God, charted their stats, examined their special abilities, and ranked them accordingly.

The arguments discussed here are, in no particular order:
- The Ontological Argument,
- The Argument from Personal Experience,
- The Kalam Cosmological Argument,
- the Teleological Argument,
- Paschal's Wager, and
- the Moral Argument.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It only because of hearing of the word, and the understanding of Faith and learning whom God was, and who God had sent, changed my heart a lot from the hateful hurtful person that I use to be, which is still being carried around but Christ suppresses the flesh by the Holy Spirit of God, and the Spirit of Christ that resides with-in the believer from the heart. Having a relationship in faith with God, and seeing out his face, by learning and growing in knowledge because it is said.

Proverbs 19:8 KJV
8 He that getteth wisdom loveth his own soul: he that keepeth understanding shall find good.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What came first? the Chicken or the Egg?

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them.
For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,
Romans 1:18-20

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It only because of hearing of the word, and the understanding of Faith and learning whom God was, and who God had sent, changed my heart a lot from the hateful hurtful person that I use to be, which is still being carried around but Christ suppresses the flesh by the Holy Spirit of God, and the Spirit of Christ that resides with-in the believer from the heart. Having a relationship in faith with God, and seeing out his face, by learning and growing in knowledge because it is said.

Proverbs 19:8 KJV
8 He that getteth wisdom loveth his own soul: he that keepeth understanding shall find good.
Great post, thanks.

Which arguments from the video apply?
- Paschal's Wager, and
- the Moral Argument.

Reactions: David in NJ

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What came first? the Chicken or the Egg?

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them.
For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,
Romans 1:18-20
Agree.

- Paschal's Wager, and
- the Moral Argument.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree.

- Paschal's Wager, and
- the Moral Argument.

i would call it the Scientific Evidence Argument = which is exactly what the Apostle Paul called it and said they will be condemned for:
a.) refusing the Scientific Evidence
b.) covering up the Scientific Evidence

i did not watch the video but the category offered would be Teleological Argument

Of, course my 'Scientific Evidence Argument' is more scriptually accurate - but we can argue that later = lol

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i would call it the Scientific Evidence Argument = which is exactly what the Apostle Paul called it and said they will be condemned for:
a.) refusing the Scientific Evidence
b.) covering up the Scientific Evidence

i did not watch the video but the category offered would be Teleological Argument

Of, course my 'Scientific Evidence Argument' is more scriptually accurate - but we can argue that later = lol
Great reply, thanks.
Could we explore that a bit?

I agree that the evidence in creation is solid evidence for the existence of God.
The idea that this all happened without some very careful design seems improbably to me.
The complexities are WAY too intricate to have happened by chance.

The nay-sayers will just throw another billion years at it.

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you answer the nay-sayers when they reply, "Bad science."?
Well, i can be cynical so my reply would be - 'Agree' , you guys are using bad science.

Then i would just ask them some questions or let them speak and go with what the Holy Spirit gives me at the moment.

i have found the KISS principal works pretty well = Keep It Simple Stupid

Never try and out-whit them as "the children of the world are wiser then the children of Light"

Example: Human fingerprints = why are they specific for each person? and Footprints, why are they specific to each individual?

Key is not to overstep our own limitations as that is the trap they set for us.
God knows their thoughts and if we rely on the Holy Spirit, HE will guide the conversation.

Also, know when to quit. Discern when to just move on after God speaks thru you.

Their tactic is endless arguments to which they feel intellectually superior.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Key is not to overstep our own limitations as that is the trap they set for us.
God knows their thoughts and if we rely on the Holy Spirit, HE will guide the conversation.

Also, know when to quit - discern when to just move on after God speaks thru you.

Their tactic is endless arguments to which they feel intellectually superior.
Wow. You just touched on something that I think is critical to the argument.

Nothing is more convincing than the personal experience argument, as when the experience is YOUR OWN.

• Love
Reactions: David in NJ

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What is your best argument for the existence of God?

My best argument for the existence of God is not singular but a compilation of the following.
  1. Creation
  2. Life
  3. The resurrection of Christ
  4. Apostles Choose Martyrdom Rather Than Deny Christ
  5. The Witness & Transformation of Billions
  6. My Personal Witness & Transformation

• Love

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My preferred take, is that people couldn't change their "character" if there was no God.

They (people) would be automatons, in a perpetual state of shock, never coming to the idea that their actions matter.

Yet what we find, is that people who would otherwise be automatons, have many characteristics in common with each other, characteristics that are godly - peace, humility, joy, love, power, meaning, spirit, word (the list goes on).

The convenience of this argument, is that you don't need to point beyond this life, to be believed.

The pitfall of this argument, is that when people refrain from doing what godliness asks of them, they throw doubt on whether there was a God afterall - not because its wise to avoid God, but that some people are fools who can't discern good from bad (but for that we have Jesus!)

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All arguments for God involve a certain amount of presupposition. This does not invalidate the argument. If arguments for God require help from God to know its truthfulness, then presupposing His help is completely valid.

It's like trying to prove you can steal apples from the neighbor's yard when it is in the midst of a police gathering. You would require a means of getting through the police crowd. And that doesn't by any means you haven't proven you can do this. If there is a special passage way through the crowd, it may look like cheating, but it is nevertheless proof.

It's the same with proving God. You must *experience God* and suppose that God is there to be experienced in order to prove Him. It is not a trick--it is just a fact that one needs God to see God. The finite cannot comprehend the infinite without the infinite reaching down to the finite.

So the best proofs for God are what works for the individual. We are all different and have different needs that God has designed as a path to see Him. We may go through an emotional shipwreck, and God's love somehow manipulates our mind, heart, and events to speak compassion to us. It could be a miracle of healing. Or it could be a set of events that together constitute an amazing coincidence that reveals the work of God to us.

So we need to experience God in the circumstances of our thinking and life. But I find for myself the best evidence of God is the intelligent design that takes place in all of world history and in my own personal history. It all makes sense in the light of all God has revealed about Himself in the Scriptures and in the People who know Him. The consistency of His character, and His essential existence as the source of this character indicates that God not only exists but is needed if we are to share in His character.

What's it all about, Alfie? ;) Is it just for this life what we live? What's it all about, when you sort it out, Alfie. Burt Bacharach just died, and recall both the song and the movie.

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the Chicken or the Egg?
Both at the same time. In the chicken, was the egg. Just as in the trees was the fruit and the seed. Even in the man was the woman, and in the woman the egg of her own.

Gen 1:22 And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.​
Gen 1:12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.​

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The arguments discussed here are, in no particular order:
- Paschal's Wager, and
- the Moral Argument.

I think there are better scientific proofs for the existence of God than the items on that list.

But people do not share them.

There is no point to sharing good theories or arguments for anything.

As people do not respect or appreciate knowledge or intelligence enough for it to make any real difference in the world.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think there are better scientific proofs for the existence of God than the items on that list.

But people do not share them.
Please share them, if you will. Thanks.
There is no point to sharing good theories or arguments for anything.

As people do not respect or appreciate knowledge or intelligence enough for it to make any real difference in the world.
This is a good point, as well.
Using apologetics to argue our position is a declaration of intellectual war.

Love is the ultimate proof. That we are channels for the love of God.

My best friend is an agnostic. He reports feeling refreshed and encouraged after we spend time together.
I treat him differently than others do. I talk about my faith, but I don't preach, or argue.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My preferred take, is that people couldn't change their "character" if there was no God.

They (people) would be automatons, in a perpetual state of shock, never coming to the idea that their actions matter.

Yet what we find, is that people who would otherwise be automatons, have many characteristics in common with each other, characteristics that are godly - peace, humility, joy, love, power, meaning, spirit, word (the list goes on).

The convenience of this argument, is that you don't need to point beyond this life, to be believed.

The pitfall of this argument, is that when people refrain from doing what godliness asks of them, they throw doubt on whether there was a God afterall - not because its wise to avoid God, but that some people are fools who can't discern good from bad (but for that we have Jesus!)
That would be the Moral Argument, which fared worst in the video presentation. (bottom of the list)

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the best proofs for God are what works for the individual. We are all different and have different needs that God has designed as a path to see Him. We may go through an emotional shipwreck, and God's love somehow manipulates our mind, heart, and events to speak compassion to us. It could be a miracle of healing. Or it could be a set of events that together constitute an amazing coincidence that reveals the work of God to us.
How would an agnostic, or atheist, respond to this? Is this not the Argument from Personal Experience?

What's it all about, Alfie? ;) Is it just for this life what we live? What's it all about, when you sort it out, Alfie. Burt Bacharach just died, and recall both the song and the movie.
Reminds me of a bumper sticker.

Maybe the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr E and bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
narf
What is the best argument for God's existence?
being that existence implies "objective evidence," that Yah does not exist at all :)
but rather causes to exist
Wow. You just touched on something that I think is critical to the argument.
one of my fave things about "doesnt exist" is that part--no argument