What is your hope in dark times of your life?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dgc

Nov 27, 2007
Non-belivers are not only the only ones who have dark times in life we all do. However it is how we as belivers handle ourselves during those times, and how we fully and openly put our trust in CHRIST to show these non belivers that there is a true hope for their situation and he is the one that we put our hope in completely and rely upon him to get us through. It is these dark times that has become our testimony of GODS' love and concern for us and for them. We need to share our testimonies of these trials and how GOD is faithful to see us through them and how He longs to carry them through.Footprints in the Sand One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky. In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there were one set of footprints. This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only one set of footprints. So I said to the Lord, "You promised me Lord, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there have only been one set of footprints in the sand. Why, when I needed you most, you have not been there for me?" The Lord replied, "The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand, is when I carried you."

Pildit

Feb 20, 2008
The people around me and nature sometimes, it really depends on what the dark time is all about of course.In terms of God, sometimes the realisation that when you don't believe, there's no supernatural being who can literally take the pain or hard time away can hit home, especially when you once believed.But this is something I've come to question of myself - perhaps I believed because I so badly wanted someone or something, always there for me and that could take it all away. Even if that thing was completely conjoured up by my imagination, influenced by the Christian things around me.

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
The Lord gave me this song chorus a while back and it has been ringing in my ears as of late. It goes like this:When can you fill us?When do we draw near?It's not in the best of times Your Voice we often hear.It's when we see what we're clothed in are filthy rags of sin.That's when You enter in- when we're broken.It's sad to say, but so true. Sometimes He has to send a storm for us to hear His voice. We seem to ignore the whisper. It's like our preacher said Sunday. We act like Jonah. The godless pray out of fear for the storm and we have to be awakened by the storm because we are asleep in complacency. But there's no doubt who the wind and the waves are subject to!!!

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
(Pildit;41734)
The people around me and nature sometimes, it really depends on what the dark time is all about of course.In terms of God, sometimes the realisation that when you don't believe, there's no supernatural being who can literally take the pain or hard time away can hit home, especially when you once believed.But this is something I've come to question of myself - perhaps I believed because I so badly wanted someone or something, always there for me and that could take it all away. Even if that thing was completely conjoured up by my imagination, influenced by the Christian things around me.
I'm not knocking anyone Pildit because many people, I believe, get it into their heads that once they come to the Lord that all things painful are just going to miraculously go poof! and disappear. But that is far from realistic and if there was anyone as a Christian who led you to believe that then they were in grave error.."Christians" that don't lead with balance and grounding are not teaching a true Christ...they are teaching a form of divination that causes spiritual weirdness and falling away.See our dark days are really no different than anyone elses. When a person comes to the Lord and a true seed of love has been planted in our hearts for Him we all get to learn that the seed of love does not make us exempt from lifes struggles, we are not excused from paying the consequences of our actions on earth. We still get to experience let downs, loneliness, anger, sin...everything. The difference is that we have a hope that shines a light into the darkness of this world and it is an eternal hope.Sometimes my hope in the dark is just a tiny far away light but it is still there and a person learns to have faith in the promise of God's word...He will never leave us nor forsake us. Sometimes I am only hanging on by my fingernails. Life on earth does NOT become a bed of roses when a person becomes a Christian, in fact in many aspects it gets harder because of the challenge to deny ourselves of the things that the Lord deems sinful.I do hope and pray that you will have that seed of love planted and that you allow it to grow. And should this happen for you, remember that our hope lies in an eternal life of joy and no more pain....but life on earth continues until then...Love and blessings

Pildit

Feb 20, 2008
(Jackie D;41745)
I'm not knocking anyone Pildit because many people, I believe, get it into their heads that once they come to the Lord that all things painful are just going to miraculously go poof! and disappear. But that is far from realistic and if there was anyone as a Christian who led you to believe that then they were in grave error.."Christians" that don't lead with balance and grounding are not teaching a true Christ...they are teaching a form of divination that causes spiritual weirdness and falling away.See our dark days are really no different than anyone elses. When a person comes to the Lord and a true seed of love has been planted in our hearts for Him we all get to learn that the seed of love does not make us exempt from lifes struggles, we are not excused from paying the consequences of our actions on earth. We still get to experience let downs, loneliness, anger, sin...everything. The difference is that we have a hope that shines a light into the darkness of this world and it is an eternal hope.Sometimes my hope in the dark is just a tiny far away light but it is still there and a person learns to have faith in the promise of God's word...He will never leave us nor forsake us. Sometimes I am only hanging on by my fingernails. Life on earth does NOT become a bed of roses when a person becomes a Christian, in fact in many aspects it gets harder because of the challenge to deny ourselves of the things that the Lord deems sinful.I do hope and pray that you will have that seed of love planted and that you allow it to grow. And should this happen for you, remember that our hope lies in an eternal life of joy and no more pain....but life on earth continues until then...Love and blessings
I'm under no illusion that the pain or hard time go away, but you do have a belief in something that CAN take it away - with a snap of fingers if you like. Of course this isn't necessaily done, but it's the belief that it could happen which can be a great draw.

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
(Pildit;41755)
I'm under no illusion that the pain or hard time go away, but you do have a belief in something that CAN take it away - with a snap of fingers if you like. Of course this isn't necessaily done, but it's the belief that it could happen which can be a great draw.
I know and it is unfortunate that more people when they are teaching the gospel don't paint a true picture of the life of a true Christian...I wasn't thinking you were under illusion that the pain or hard time would go away...many are though. And God does take much of it away but He does it by regenerating us to be different people. It is a slow process, it can be an exceedingly painful process...but I promise that the benefits are great. Look at it this way...if there is no God and yet I choose to believe and then die and just go back to the earth, no afterlife what so ever...I've lost nothing.But what if I'm not wrong? What if those who don't believe are the ones who are wrong? You've probably heard that before....but it is a question worth putting much time and thought into..If there is a God then there is the Devil. If there is Heaven then there is Hell. My hope in the dark is knowing that because there is a God I won't be living an eternity in the dark in torment greater than the torment of the pains in this life...love and blessings

Amira

Dec 18, 2007
I think religion can be a source of comfort and support in difficult times. And I think it is probably that what most people look for in times of difficulty. For me those are things like family, friends, philosophy and humour.

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
(Pildit;41734)
What do you do, when people let you down or there are just too many things going wrong at the same time ? Or maybe you have not experience it.

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
(Franklin;41746)
Hope. What is hope anyway? If you think about it. I may start a thread on that
You may start a new thread on that. Or you may discuss it here. What does word hope means to you if anything? Are you an atheist ?

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
(Jackie D;41756)
I know and it is unfortunate that more people when they are teaching the gospel don't paint a true picture of the life of a true Christian...I wasn't thinking you were under illusion that the pain or hard time would go away...many are though. And God does take much of it away but He does it by regenerating us to be different people. It is a slow process, it can be an exceedingly painful process...but I promise that the benefits are great. Look at it this way...if there is no God and yet I choose to believe and then die and just go back to the earth, no afterlife what so ever...I've lost nothing.But what if I'm not wrong? What if those who don't believe are the ones who are wrong? You've probably heard that before....but it is a question worth putting much time and thought into..If there is a God then there is the Devil. If there is Heaven then there is Hell. My hope in the dark is knowing that because there is a God I won't be living an eternity in the dark in torment greater than the torment of the pains in this life...love and blessings
Yeah, we talk about God a lot,which is the most important thing for me,but the devil is here also try to torment and destroy us. I feel it many times, how there is 'heavenly' war going on. Can't deny that there are good and bad forces in this world and in our lives. Thanks Jackie to bring that point to discussion.

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
(Amira;41766)
I think religion can be a source of comfort and support in difficult times. And I think it is probably that what most people look for in times of difficulty. For me those are things like family, friends, philosophy and humour.
They are really good things, I pass the philosophy. What if you you don't have friends and family? Have you experienced anything really sad or tragedic in your life, Amira? Well as you said, you've got your family and friends, that's a BLESSING. Some people don't have those things to support. If their have humour and philosophy left, they could use those I guess. For me there would me only humour left then... would not be enough for me personally. I love humour,but that's not enough.

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
Amira said:
I think religion can be a source of comfort and support in difficult times.
The problem with your theology here is that a person who has a relationship with Christ is not necessarily a religious person. Religion does not equal Christianity....Christianity is an inner change made manifest to the outside. It is a living and very real relationship with Christ. It has everything to do with the inner being and very little to do with outward appearance and ritual. This is for the real Christian....there are unfortunately many who call themselves Christian and very very far from the mark of what Christianity is.
And I think it is probably that what most people look for in times of difficulty. For me those are things like family, friends, philosophy and humour.
family, friends philosophy and humour are NOT always present. Eventually, I believe that every person finds that those outward bandages for inner pains and wounds will be left hurting and unable to be assuaged by these people and things. What will you do then?

Amira

Dec 18, 2007
Dear Jackie D:
The problem with your theology here is that a person who has a relationship with Christ is not necessarily a religious person. Religion does not equal Christianity....Christianity is an inner change made manifest to the outside. It is a living and very real relationship with Christ. It has everything to do with the inner being and very little to do with outward appearance and ritual. This is for the real Christian....there are unfortunately many who call themselves Christian and very very far from the mark of what Christianity is.
I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand what you mean. I think a relationship with Christ has very much to do with religion, and it is that relationship that can be a source of inner comfort in times of difficulty.
family, friends philosophy and humour are NOT always present. Eventually, I believe that every person finds that those outward bandages for inner pains and wounds will be left hurting and unable to be assuaged by these people and things. What will you do then?
I don't see it this way. In my opinion, philosophy is always there, in a similar way to religion or a relationship with Christ; in your religious community you can talk about learn about Christ, but on your own you can think about the things you've heard and so on. It is the same for philosophy, for example, my quote (Moominpappa) below, I find it philosophical and humorous at the same time, and it's always with me, because I remember it by heart. Humour I think is very much an inner thing, and if you have, it's always there. And I have never had a time in my life that my family and friends wouldn't have been there for me. They don't even have to be physically present as long as I know that I can call them or even just know that they are there for me. Dear Thunder1: I have experienced some very sad and tragic things in my life, so it is not inexperience talking.
smile.gif

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
Amira said:
I don't see it this way. In my opinion, philosophy is always there, in a similar way to religion or a relationship with Christ; in your religious community you can talk about learn about Christ, but on your own you can think about the things you've heard and so on. It is the same for philosophy, for example, my quote (Moominpappa) below, I find it philosophical and humorous at the same time, and it's always with me, because I remember it by heart. Humour I think is very much an inner thing, and if you have, it's always there. And I have never had a time in my life that my family and friends wouldn't have been there for me. They don't even have to be physically present as long as I know that I can call them or even just know that they are there for me.
perhaps a better way of putting it Amira, would have been that there will come a day when family, friends, philosophy won't be enough to get you through a time of need or trouble. I don't discount the need for people and knowledge in our lives regarding the deeper more meaningful things about life. But I do discount being dependant on them. And knowing what I know about relationship with Christ is that even during some of the darkest days, the memory of things known and learned that keep me holding on can be hard to find. Let me put it this way regarding philosophy....philosophy is wisdom of man. Man's minds are in error about God more than they are correct. Philosophy helps man to feel wise or as your quote a sense of some kind of security. These sayings seem to have the answers to many questions or the key to living life, when all they are IMO, are words that show a sense of hyper-spirituality that doesn't quite mesh with the Laws and Nature of God....again my opinion only.

Pildit

Feb 20, 2008
(Jackie D;41756)
I know and it is unfortunate that more people when they are teaching the gospel don't paint a true picture of the life of a true Christian...I wasn't thinking you were under illusion that the pain or hard time would go away...many are though. And God does take much of it away but He does it by regenerating us to be different people. It is a slow process, it can be an exceedingly painful process...but I promise that the benefits are great.
And the benefits are?
Look at it this way...if there is no God and yet I choose to believe and then die and just go back to the earth, no afterlife what so ever...I've lost nothing.But what if I'm not wrong? What if those who don't believe are the ones who are wrong? You've probably heard that before....but it is a question worth putting much time and thought into..If there is a God then there is the Devil. If there is Heaven then there is Hell. My hope in the dark is knowing that because there is a God I won't be living an eternity in the dark in torment greater than the torment of the pains in this life...love and blessings
You're right, I've heard that before but I've no problem addressing it again.I've no problem in saying that of course if you're right and I still don't believe when I die, then there's more of a chance I'll be going to hell.However I'm not going to live my life lying to myself and to God that I believe, through fear he might be real and if I don't I'll go to hell.

Pildit

Feb 20, 2008
(Thunder1;41847)
What do you do, when people let you down or there are just too many things going wrong at the same time ? Or maybe you have not experience it.
The vast majority of people in my life have let me down, all but two that I can think of right now and I just came through the worst 1-2 years of my life because of them.Of course when there are TOO many things, I feel REALLY bad. Like everyone else, just as I feel bad when people do let me down.

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
Pildit;41896 And the benefits are?
no longer carrying around the burdens the world lays on us of how we should or should not be. I no longer have to hang my head in shame over sins of the past. I am able to look at all of creation and know what it's purpose and benefits are. I get to live in peace, joy and hope knowing that in the end all the hardships of my life will be erased in a twinkling of an eye and I will spend eternity in everlasting joy....these are the spirit and soul benefits of loving the God who created me.
smile.gif

I've no problem in saying that of course if you're right and I still don't believe when I die, then there's more of a chance I'll be going to hell.However I'm not going to live my life lying to myself and to God that I believe, through fear he might be real and if I don't I'll go to hell.
Well, I didn't say that to try to sway you to God through fear as that is not the doorway to heaven, it is through Christ and Christ is not about fear but defeating fear, sadness, regret, anger, pain, scars curse.....
smile.gif
Christ defeated all evil all sin and death...