What makes a doctrine false?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does the word doctrine even mean @St. SteVen not everyone knows. I forgot.

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any Doctrines is false that conditions Salvation, any part of it on man, his doings. That takes away from the Saving Efficacy of the Person and Work of the Lord Jesus Christ. If a doctrine has men and women going to hell, dying in their sins and unbelief, for whom Christ died and rose again, that's a false doctrine !
I agree.
But I suppose others might disagree.
Is doctrine false simply because you don't agree with it?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of those

None of these.

What makes a doctrine false is that either it contradicts what the bible says, ( arguments about which version are irrelevant. )
Or that it is a false interpretation of what the Bible says.
Examples, evolution contradicts the plain teaching that Godcreated over six days.
False interpretation, health, wealth and prosperity teaching.

Not everyone studies s ripture and other relions/cults teaching and depend on being taught by there minister.
That said every Christion should be able to give a rational explanation for their faith.
I suppose the problem is that there is no consensus on what the Bible teaches.
I know many fine Christian folks that do not accept a literal Genesis account.
Meaning... they're evolutionists. (I guess)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can there be consensus on what the spirit leads us to do, if you can’t have an agreement on one’s belief system, @St. SteVen ?

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can there be consensus on what the spirit leads us to do, if you can’t have an agreement on one’s belief system, @St. SteVen ?
Is that a trick question? - LOL
Yes, hopefully we can all agree that we should all be led by the Spirit even if our doctrines don't agree.
Not sure we will get consensus on that, though. This is a Christian forum after all. - LOL

Reactions: MatthewG

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
On what basis would you call any doctrine false?
The foremost reason for deciding a doctrine is false is that it opposes a fundamental truth contained in the canon of Scripture.

I am reluctant to propose a one-size-fits-all way to determine doctrinal issues, but certainly familiarity with the contents of the Bible is important. It is often said that handling and closely studying real objects is the key to exposing the fake.

St. Joseph

Apr 30, 2023
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me a false doctrine is one that does not line up with scripture. Having said that,you have to rely upon your own interpretation of scripture.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The foremost reason for deciding a doctrine is false is that it opposes a fundamental truth contained in the canon of Scripture.

I am reluctant to propose a one-size-fits-all way to determine doctrinal issues, but certainly familiarity with the contents of the Bible is important. It is often said that handling and closely studying real objects is the key to exposing the fake.
Would agree with what you state here, only one way that is presented is testing all things by the spirit, Stumpmaster.

I don’t think testing things by the spirit means if it doesn’t line up with our belief - that we should kick people in the teeth.

The spirit should lead to having of course love, peace, forbearance, understanding, acceptance of a person who may be in their position, agape love will when at least in a non judgmental approach, no matter what life style a person is from, or their denomination.

i love what Paul wrote to those in Thessalonica. Which expressed the very will of God to those who are in Christ.
“And we ask you, brethren, to know those labouring among you, and leading you in the Lord, and admonishing you, and to esteem them very abundantly in love, because of their work; be at peace among yourselves; and we exhort you, brethren, admonish the disorderly, comfort the feebleminded, support the infirm, be patient unto all; see no one evil for evil may render to any one, but always that which is good pursue ye, both to one another and to all; always rejoice ye; continually pray ye; in every thing give thanks, for this [is] the will of God in Christ Jesus in regard to you. The Spirit quench not; prophesyings despise not; all things prove; that which is good hold fast; from all appearance of evil abstain ye; and the God of the peace Himself sanctify you wholly, and may your whole spirit, and soul, and body, be preserved unblameably in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ; stedfast is He who is calling you, who also will do [it]. Brethren, pray for us; salute all the brethren in an holy kiss; I charge you [by] the Lord, that the letter be read to all the holy brethren; the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ [is] with you! Amen.”
‭‭1 Thessalonians‬ ‭5‬:‭12‬-‭28‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me a false doctrine is one that does not line up with scripture. Having said that,you have to rely upon your own interpretation of scripture.
There's the problem right there.
We want doctrine to be biblical, but there is no consensus on what that means.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
There's the problem right there.
We want doctrine to be biblical, but there is no consensus on what that means.
It becomes a matter of making up one's own mind after due diligence. Doubtful disputes should be dismissed.

In Acts 17:11, it is written that Paul and Silas preached at Berea and the inhabitants "received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so". The Bereans were known for their emphasis on studying Scripture. (OT of course).

St. Joseph

Apr 30, 2023
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a false doctrine. Twisting Romans 4:17. Ihear this one used a lot,but there is no way you can call something thats not as though it were. You have no creative powerers. Read verse for what it says. God calls these things

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

doctrine​

noun

doc·trine ˈdäk-trən

Synonyms of doctrine
a
: a principle or position or the body of principles in a branch of knowledge or system of belief : DOGMA
Catholic doctrine

b
: a statement of fundamental government policy especially in international relations
the Truman Doctrine

c
law : a principle of law established through past decisions
d
: a military principle or set of strategies
e
: something that is taught

archaic : TEACHING, INSTRUCTION

Reactions: St. SteVen

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one has real authority in the area of doctrines. @Brakelite if I ever did have something to say.

(Generally towards all)
All you can do is test all things said and hold on to what is good, by the spirit in conjunction read with the Bible.

Otherwise the Bible is just a bunch of words without the spirit.

Does you knowledge hinder you from loving another; even putting oneself underneath ones own ideas and beliefs allowing others to express themselves by their own understanding and thinking?

Do you feel the need to be right over others? Or you have authority over them.

One needs to re-examine their own heart? Praying to God.

Love is paramount, primarily by and comes from an understanding of God and whom he sent is eternal life; he should be our drive and focus; being bent on living by the spirit and not the flesh that causes fights and quarrels.

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a false doctrine. Twisting Romans 4:17. Ihear this one used a lot,but there is no way you can call something thats not as though it were. You have no creative powerers. Read verse for what it says. God calls these things
That's a good example. Something I believe, that you call false.
What does the context at verse 18 and following say? (Abraham)
"Against all hope..."

Yes, God does these things. But they are oftentimes in partnership with us.
Even Jesus said, "... the Son can do nothing by himself... " (scripture below)

John 5:19 NIV
Jesus gave them this answer: “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself;
he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does you knowledge hinder you from loving another; even putting oneself underneath ones own ideas and beliefs allowing others to express themselves by their own understanding and thinking?

Do you feel the need to be right over others? Or you have authority over them.
Well said, thanks.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Number 5.

5. Your Bible says it is false. (other biblical opinions don't matter)

(Although “The Bible” is preferred over “Your Bible”)
Stick to that mindset my friend . What determines if something is true or false , IS the Truth in the bible .
IF a man comes preaching anything that contradicts the scriptures , its false indeed .
If a man comes preaching somthing that agrees to the scripture . its true .
Stick to that mindset my friend . For the time has come that many no longer endure sound doctrine
but heap to themselves other teachers who scratch those itchy ears .