What Mormons Believe--according to a Former BYU Professor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL, this is purely hypothetical. You may hear any of these things, to be sure, or you may not.
Not just occasionally: they are rampant. So much so that your typical LDS Christian believes that Evangelicals believe in cheap grace and that the Father/Son/Spirit are one person.

Now: should a person get thier information from ex folks, or from actually asking a person of that faith?

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not just occasionally: they are rampant. So much so that your typical LDS Christian believes that Evangelicals believe in cheap grace and that the Father/Son/Spirit are one person.

Now: should a person get thier information from ex folks, or from actually asking a person of that faith?

I've known quite a few Christians who don't believe in cheap grace. As far as the Father, Son and Holy Spirit being one PERSON, I guess this is what you meant by Modalism. Regardless, that's a topic for a different thread.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I will continue on the road I've chosen. I'll keep reading what you have to say about LDS doctrine and consider what Lynn has said as well. Fair enough?

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've known quite a few Christians who don't believe in cheap grace. As far as the Father, Son and Holy Spirit being one PERSON, I guess this is what you meant by Modalism. Regardless, that's a topic for a different thread.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I will continue on the road I've chosen. I'll keep reading what you have to say and consider what Lynn has said. Fair enough?
Do you acknowledge that the road you are taking endorsing the idea that LDS Christians should learn from the ex-Protestants who say Protestantism teaches cheap grace, Modalism, and that it's ok to sleep with whomever because you're already saved?

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you acknowledge that the road you are taking endorsing the idea that LDS Christians should learn from the ex-Protestants who say Protestantism teaches cheap grace, Modalism, and that it's ok to sleep with whomever because you're already saved?
Um, not sure why you're persisting in this line of questioning. I listen to a lot of different people saying a lot of different things. When it comes to Christian doctrine, however, I compare everything I hear to the Bible.

You know, it kind of seems like you're saying that I should NEVER consider what a former Mormon has to say at all. If so, like I said, as a mature adult who's prolly old enough to be your mama, I've made my choice.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I should REALLY be asleep, but got a mild case of insomnia.
This is a problem I deal with on occasion. Wednesday night I only got 3 hours of sleep. :( I have found that warm milk can help me get drowsy, but I don't always get up and fix some.
This is a thing I would rather NOT share with others... yet is it good at times to know I am not alone when I am up reading or whatever when my wife and others are sleeping.
Give God the glory!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Um, not sure why you're persisting in this line of questioning. I listen to a lot of different people saying a lot of different things. When it comes to Christian doctrine, however, I compare everything I hear to the Bible.

You know, it kind of seems like you're saying that I should NEVER consider what a former Mormon has to say at all. If so, like I said, as a mature adult who's prolly old enough to be your mama, I've made my choice.
Because I want you to validate your epistemological methodology here without any hypocrisy, else this entire discussion is groundless.

Should I learn about Protestantism form the ex protestant that tells me they taught cheap grace?

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a thing I would rather NOT share with others... yet is it good at times to know I am not alone when I am up reading or whatever when my wife and others are sleeping.
Give God the glory!
Ah, yes, never alone!

Any given night, I may be awake in the middle of the night. It seems to go in cycles with me. I just haven't figured out the cycles. :(

Reactions: TLHKAJ and amadeus

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because I want you to validity your epistemological methodology here without any hypocrisy, else this entire discussion is groundless.

Should I learn about Protestantism form the ex protestant that tells me they taught cheap grace?
All I can tell you, JD, is just read the Bible, even just the New Testament. That's what I did, and the Holy Spirit convicted me of my sin, and I saw Jesus' love there, I gave Him my life, and never looked back. That's what Lynn did, and she found the real Jesus there.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All I can tell you, JD, is just read the Bible, even just the New Testament. That's what I did, and the Holy Spirit convicted me of my sin, and I saw Jesus' love there, I gave Him my life, and never looked back. That's what Lynn did, and she found the real Jesus there.
As did I.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's my point, @Willie T. Even if parts of the Book of Mormon were taken verbatim from the Bible, that doesn't make it the Bible. So, Mormons are taught to testify that the Book of Mormon is the most correct book..., NOT the Bible. If Joseph Smith used parts of the Bible without clearly referencing those specific verses, we call that plagiarism!
It may well be plagiarism, but what do we call it when a new group, or even one person, comes along with a new translation of the scripture [66 books?] where the meanings don't seem to match? Then we can get into the 'whys' of such apparent mismatches... and who is right? God alone we can all say definitely, but men, as we know, will still argue the differences sometimes quite bitterly. What God is really looking for, I believe, is what lies in a person's heart. Then according that person's heart God will... or will not... provide or allow a correct interpretation or even a delusion [II Thess 2:11] on any given point of expressed difference. What does God see?

"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes but the LORD pondereth the hearts." Prov 21:2

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fact checks:

Actually, for LDS Christians, the top authority is God Himself. Not anything else.

If you want to talk to me about God, and listen to me share my love, that would be awesome. He's my absolute favorite subject and His love is the core of who I am.
I will say that for LDS Christians as with any other Christian the top authority certainly should be God. That this not true for every person carrying the label of LDS/Mormon or Christian [of any other designation] is also the unfortunately truth according to my own experience. Too many people are always too strongly on the side of their own sect or denomination or church or group rather than primarily on the side of God. They will sometimes mouth the right words but will often fall short in nearly everything else.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It may well be plagiarism, but what do we call it when a new group, or even one person, comes along with a new translation of the scripture [66 books?] where the meanings don't seem to match? Then we can get into the 'whys' of such apparent mismatches... and who is right? God alone we can all say definitely, but men, as we know, will still argue the differences sometimes quite bitterly. What God is really looking for, I believe, is what lies in a person's heart. Then according that person's heart God will... or will not... provide or allow a correct interpretation or even a delusion [II Thess 2:11] on any given point of expressed difference. What does God see?

"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes but the LORD pondereth the hearts." Prov 21:2
You have a point, but I usually don't use Bible translations not based on the original manuscripts, such as paraphrases. So, you will see some variation in the wording among legitimate translations, but not too much in the meaning.

Reactions: TLHKAJ and Nancy

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will say that for LDS Christians as with any other Christian the top authority certainly should be God. That this not true for every person carrying the label of LDS/Mormon or Christian [of any other designation] is also the unfortunately truth according to my own experience. Too many people are always too strongly on the side of their own sect or denomination or church or group rather than primarily on the side of God. They will sometimes mouth the right words but will often fall short in nearly everything else.
Amen to that a million times over!

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LDS Christians aren't sola Biblia. If you want to stone me for that, you can.
LOL, probably no one in the flesh today is "sola Biblia" no matter what they say. Some may strive to be that, but on a case by case basis, there is probably not a single one who has attained to it. Then again is that what any one of us should want to be? If we are in Christ, walking in Him, looking for his face, are we not directed correctly?

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL, probably no one in the flesh today is "sola Biblia" no matter what they say. Some may strive to be that, but on a case by case basis, there is probably not a single one who has attained to it. Then again is that what any one of us should want to be? If we are in Christ, walking in Him, looking for his face, are we not directed correctly?
As I explained somewhere in this thread (I think), the Bible is not all that I read, but I compare all that I read and hear with the Bible, like the Bereans did in Acts. They compared all that Paul said with the scriptures to see if what he said was true.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have a point, but I usually don't use Bible translations not based on the original manuscripts, such as paraphrases. So, you will see some variation in the wording among legitimate translations, but not too much in the meaning.
I was really not being critical of you in particular but rather of all of us. The correct meaning, when we have it, has come to us through the Holy Spirit. We all presume, or want to presume, we are more correct than the other guy. If we really are then it is because we are closer to God than the other guy, but who among us it able to measure the distance and compare them to determine who is closest? Who should be doing this?

"For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." II Cor 10:12

Reactions: Nancy

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was really not being critical of you in particular but rather of all of us. The correct meaning, when we have it, has come to us through the Holy Spirit. We all presume, or want to presume, we are more correct than the other guy. If we really are then it is because we are closer to God than the other guy, but who among us it able to measure the distance and compare them to determine who is closest? Who should be doing this?

"For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." II Cor 10:12
Ah, I see that you were replying to Jane Doe. I agree that any understanding of truth comes through the Holy Spirit.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I explained somewhere in this thread (I think), the Bible is not all that I read, but I compare all that I read and hear with the Bible, like the Bereans did in Acts. They compared all that Paul said with the scriptures to see if what he said was true.
Again I am not after you, but 'after' any of us [certainly including "me"] who misses a step here or there in his walk toward God. I am glad that you do not simply take for granted what one person or one group say with regard to another who is apparently not with them. Jesus spoke of those who were not even walking directly behind him as a disciple:

"And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
For he that is not against us is on our part." Mark 9:38-40

Reactions: Prayer Warrior