What Mormons Believe--according to a Former BYU Professor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But what one hears better align with His written Word or it did not come from God!

The Word comes from God...written by men. You are assuming that that was all God had to say. 2000 years of silence? Probably not.
Do the Mormons have it all right? Don't think so. Do the Christians have it all right? Which denomination? All in all salvation is the most important. The difference between what any of us know and what God knows is vastly far apart. Quibbling over the details... Considering what little we know, God might find it humorous, since He has not came down and endorsed any denomination or translation of the Bible. Better to love Christians and let God sort it out.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are assuming that that was all God had to say. 2000 years of silence? Probably not.
I would say absolutely not! I have heard Him speak since I was a child when I heard Him calling me to follow Him and teaching my heart about His heart for me and who He is. He has spoken to me numerous times, given dreams and visions. But they didn't ever clash with nor contradict His written Word, nor veer off to some new so-called "gospel" that doesn't even resemble the truth.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say absolutely not! I have heard Him speak since I was a child when I heard Him calling me to follow Him and teaching my heart about His heart for me and who He is. He has spoken to me numerous times, given dreams and visions. But they didn't ever clash with nor contradict His written Word, nor veer off to some new so-called "gospel" that doesn't even resemble the truth.
Agreed, with the important point that God doesn’t contradict HIS meaning. Our understanding of Hum is still limited, and we have much to learn. We shouldn’t shut out learning more of Him.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the mormon doctrine that "ye are saved by grace after all that ye can do" is in contradiction to John 5:24 (kjv), which tells us that we are saved by grace at the moment of first faith.

Also, that we have been regenerated and renewed "not by works of righteousness which we have done" (Titus 3:5).

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, for there to be "another" testament of Jesus Christ, there must be "another" death of the testator (Hebrews 9:16-17); nevertheless we know that Jesus did not die again and that neither can He die again (Romans 6:9).

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the mormon doctrine that "ye are saved by grace after all that ye can do" is in contradiction to John 5:24 (kjv), which tells us that we are saved by grace at the moment of first faith.

Also, that we have been regenerated and renewed "not by works of righteousness which we have done" (Titus 3:5).
Saved by grace but first we choose Him. But if then you follow Satan, you are just as lost.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not convincing enough for me...

It is clear in holy scripture that we are not saved by works (all that we can do).

Another problem with the KJV.
If you are talking about the works of the Law...we are not under any part of the Law.
If you are talking about deeds, deeds do not get you to heaven but as the Bible says, you can store treasure in heaven.
The Greek word for deeds and works is the same. The KJV translators were not aware of that.
And I am not trying to convince you of anything.
So since you belief you have no part in your salvation...lol...If you do not decide to believe in Christ, what does that do?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saved by grace but first we choose Him. But if then you follow Satan, you are just as lost.
Indeed!

Salvation comes by grace. However, a saved person is not a couch potato being the exact same as they were before knowing Christ. True saving faith is an action: we praise Him, worship Him, follow Him, etc.

Reactions: Grailhunter

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Works result out of a genuine salvation, they are not the catalyst for it.

We are saved by grace before all that we can do, not after.

Simple faith apprehends everlasting life; which begins at the moment of first faith (John 5:24 (kjv)).

As for the kjv, I am uncertain of your point, @Grailhunter...

Other translations than the kjv also show forth the concept that we are not saved by works (all that we can do).

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So since you belief you have no part in your salvation...lol...If you do not decide to believe in Christ, what does that do?
Of course we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand.

However, if you understand Ephesians 2:8-9 clearly enough, you also understand that faith is not a work.

In John 6:28-29, Jesus is utilizing a literary tactic and is saying that if you are going to insist that salvation is by works, then I will accommodate your belief but will say that the only work that will save you is a simple faith in me...

But since salvation is by grace through faith and not of works (Ephesians 2:8-9)...

If I am saved by faith as a work then I am saved by works; yet salvation is not of works: yet it is by faith: and therefore in being saved by faith I cannot also be saved by works: and therefore faith is not a work.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not convincing enough for me...

It is clear in holy scripture that we are not saved by works (all that we can do).
You go look it up. Greek word for deeds / works
Also look up, are there thing that you can do, that you will be rewarded for on earth and in heaven.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However, if you understand Ephesians 2:8-9 clearly enough, you also understand that faith is not a work.
Faith...a choice to believe is a real action...You do not do that action and you are not saved or go to heaven.
If I am saved by faith as a work then I am saved by works; yet salvation is not of works: yet it is by faith: and therefore in being saved by faith I cannot alos be saved by works: and therefore faith is not a work.

You sound confused...

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You go look it up. Greek word for deeds / works
Also look up, are there thing that you can do, that you will be rewarded for on earth and in heaven.
Unfortunately I am at a loss as to finding what you say I am supposed to be looking for.

If I have not seen what you are talking about in all of my Bible reading, how am I going to be able to find it hereafter without your help?

I need for you to show me clearly what you are talking about because I have no clue what it is that you want me to be looking for.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith...a choice to believe is a real action...You do not do that action and you are not saved or go to heaven.

You sound confused...
There is no confusion in my mind...however I know that it may be difficult for you to grasp what I am saying if you do not actually think about what I am saying.

Faith is a response to hearing the word...it is not an action. When you hear the word of the Lord, you either believe it or you don't. There is no effort involved in believing what God says. It is merely what takes place in the heart of some but not in the hearts of others when the word of the Lord is preached.

The same heat that melts the butter, hardens the clay.

The butter doesn't do anything in order to melt...it simply melts because it is butter.

Every stick of butter will melt when heat is applied....and every piece of clay will harden.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no confusion in my mind...however I know that it may be difficult for you to grasp what I am saying if you do not actually think about what I am saying.

Faith is a response to hearing the word...it is not an action. When you hear the word of the Lord, you either believe it or you don't. There is no effort involved in believing what God says. it is merely what takes place in the heart of some but not in the hearts of others when the word of the Lord is preached.

The same heat that melts the butter, hardens the clay.

The butter doesn't do anything in order to melt...it simply melts because it is butter.

Every stick of butter will melt when heat is applied....and every piece of clay will harden.
Ok

Reactions: justbyfaith