What was the thorn in Paul’s side?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello to you reader,

Here are some of my thoughts,

If it’s indication of the enemy, can ourselves also be our own enemy? From scriptures it plainly stated in James that every individual has their own temptations.

“Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death. Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures.”

‭‭James‬ ‭1:12-18‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

This text suggests that only good things come from God. That by the spirit anything a person does would be an attribute from a good gift from God being produced, in the idea of spiritual fruit.

However each person here on this forum, and our in real life all each have their own temptations they deal with, be it secretly known to them and God, or publicly know to them and God as well as others who may know whom willingly admit their temptations they suffer from, in which Christ may reside with them due to their weakness.

You see Paul here mention

“And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭12:9-10‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

What he takes pleasure in, and that he would rather boast about the problems he has in which seems to be addressing honesty with himself but also with the Corinthians who he is writing to and God, in order that Christ may give him rest for his soul knowing and sharing the truth.

Paul also asked a rhetorical question in the letter to the Romans,

“What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?”

‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:31‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Now had been addressing many issuers prior before coming to this question, talking about being free from sin, abiding in the spirit becoming children of God, suffering for Christ sake.

Then he asked this question, in Romans 8:31.

It’s been indicted in the Bible by the writer of Hebrews a warning to not fall away, from the faith, they hold on to.

“Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God;”

‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭3:12‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

The answer to the question in Romans 8:31, is that it is ourselves that can be against us. Even though God be for one, as human beings with free will, one can choose to go against God.

Now what was the thorn in Paul’s flesh? I have no idea it would have been nice if he would have written it down, but He pleaded three times, for this personal delivery, (Paul goes on to address his love for his brothers in Romans 10).

“Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they may be saved. For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God.”

‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:1-3‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Thank you for reading, thought would share some of my thoughts they may be wrong, they might be right. May you be guided by the spirit and keep fast and hold on to what is good.

God bless you,

Matthew G.

Teh implication from Paul himself is that his eyesight was severely damaged on the road to Damascus, and this thorn was to buffet Paul in his body!

Let us remember why God gave Paul this thorn, becuae He was allowed to see and learn things no one else had to that point. so to keep him humble, God gave him a physical infirmity to the point that nearly all epistles were dictated to someone and he needed a person with him in his travels because his eyesight appeared to be so poor. Can't be absolute on it, but that is the evidence Scripture gives.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello

Thank you for all your shared comments,
Hope it was useful to consider,

No one truly knows what the thorn was, but whatever it was some scholars say it was to keep Paul humble.

Many attribute it to eyesight; to share my point of view, I believe he saw clearly once the Lord restored his eyesight.

Take care,
God bless,
Matthew G.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hello

No one truly knows what the thorn was, but whatever it was some scholars say it was to keep Paul humble.

Many attribute it to eyesight; to share my point of view, I believe he saw clearly once the Lord restored his eyesight.

Take care,
God bless,
Matthew G.
@MatthewG ....and it was so that Paul could lean strongly on God's grace.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How wonderful it is to know we serve a God that even through our own struggles that we have within ourselves, in the context of our time here in the brief short history.

That wonderfully knowance is that God loves you, just as you are, in all of your flaws, and is always there to help you if you ask him.

All of us in some way or another is flawed, and only you know what that is, and also God understands what that is. Also that we have a great high priest who suffered through every temptation, whom is able to empathize with us, in our sufferings here along the way.

Namely Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

“And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.”
‭‭I John‬ ‭3:23‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I could be wrong but i interpreted the thorn in his side to be the evil one, tempting him to sin.
Paul says that the evil one is with him every step of the way...
He talks about his battles with sin and Satan and spiritual warfare

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What was the thorn in Paul’s side?
think it was a wait-a-while......mean and keen.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello to you reader,

Here are some of my thoughts,

If it’s indication of the enemy, can ourselves also be our own enemy? From scriptures it plainly stated in James that every individual has their own temptations.

“Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death. Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures.”

‭‭James‬ ‭1:12-18‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

This text suggests that only good things come from God. That by the spirit anything a person does would be an attribute from a good gift from God being produced, in the idea of spiritual fruit.

However each person here on this forum, and our in real life all each have their own temptations they deal with, be it secretly known to them and God, or publicly know to them and God as well as others who may know whom willingly admit their temptations they suffer from, in which Christ may reside with them due to their weakness.

You see Paul here mention

“And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭12:9-10‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

What he takes pleasure in, and that he would rather boast about the problems he has in which seems to be addressing honesty with himself but also with the Corinthians who he is writing to and God, in order that Christ may give him rest for his soul knowing and sharing the truth.

Paul also asked a rhetorical question in the letter to the Romans,

“What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?”

‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:31‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Now had been addressing many issuers prior before coming to this question, talking about being free from sin, abiding in the spirit becoming children of God, suffering for Christ sake.

Then he asked this question, in Romans 8:31.

It’s been indicted in the Bible by the writer of Hebrews a warning to not fall away, from the faith, they hold on to.

“Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God;”

‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭3:12‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

The answer to the question in Romans 8:31, is that it is ourselves that can be against us. Even though God be for one, as human beings with free will, one can choose to go against God.

Now what was the thorn in Paul’s flesh? I have no idea it would have been nice if he would have written it down, but He pleaded three times, for this personal delivery, (Paul goes on to address his love for his brothers in Romans 10).

“Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they may be saved. For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God.”

‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:1-3‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Thank you for reading, thought would share some of my thoughts they may be wrong, they might be right. May you be guided by the spirit and keep fast and hold on to what is good.

God bless you,

Matthew G.
Good thoughts Matt,
We sure can be our own enemy brother.
And yeah, it would have been interesting to know what Paul's particular thorn was.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe he was referring to his very poor eyesight, almost blind. Possible as a follow on from when he was knocked off his donkey. But there are several clues throughout his letters that lead to this, although none of them definitive. First, he wrote only one of his letters himself, all the others were dictated and even remarked in that letter that they should take all the more notice because he wrote it himself.
Second, in his writing to one church he was praising them for their generosity, and suggested that they loved him so much, they would give him their own eyes if it were possible. These are off the top of my head, I think there are other clues as well leading to the same conclusion.
Hi Backlit,
This is the closest possibility that really fits I find. Some think it was not physical but it was the unbelieving Jews following him around to try and make new believers live under the law too.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder if I should go on that tv channel and see if they are still doing it or if maybe God brought them correction…it’s been over 14 years, maybe they have seen now…

They are worse now IMHO, could be entertaining if it weren't a matter of "truth". If you do, let me know how the Copelands of the televangelist ilk are up too...well, other than drinking one another's blood on camera...already know of that one. Sad.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello

Take care,
God bless,
Matthew G.

It doesn’t take a scholar to see it was to keep Paul humble. Paul himself says it was allowed so he would not become conceited. What scholars debate is exactly what the thorn was.

Reactions: quietthinker

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are worse now IMHO, could be entertaining if it weren't a matter of "truth". If you do, let me know how the Copelands of the televangelist ilk are up too...well, other than drinking one another's blood on camera...already know of that one. Sad.

Are you joking…?? They did that??

Reactions: Nancy

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh for Pete’s sake! He didn’t drink his own or the other guys blood. Their hands weren’t even bleeding. What stupid shenanigans! I got thrown out of the first forum I joined because I was mocking Benny Hinn because of the most hilarious thing I had ever, ever seen while watching him. I know it’s serious but my gosh, sometimes you can’t help it when they get so ridiculous, you just have to laugh!

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is like a "blood brother" kind of thing with him and someone else pricking their fingers. Something about the "Blood Covenant". I will try to find the video...

I saw it. They pretended to cut the palms of their hands.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh for Pete’s sake! He didn’t drink his own or the other guys blood. Their hands weren’t even bleeding. What stupid shenanigans! I got thrown out of the first forum I joined because I was mocking Benny Hinn because of the most hilarious thing I had ever, ever seen while watching him. I know it’s serious by my gosh, sometimes you can’t help it when they get so ridiculous, you just have to laugh!
I know, sorry, had to take a closer look!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh for Pete’s sake! He didn’t drink his own or the other guys blood. Their hands weren’t even bleeding. What stupid shenanigans! I got thrown out of the first forum I joined because I was mocking Benny Hinn because of the most hilarious thing I had ever, ever seen while watching him. I know it’s serious by my gosh, sometimes you can’t help it when they get so ridiculous, you just have to laugh!
What did Benny Hinn do? Slay someone in the Spirit with a wave of his coat? Now I HAVE seen that, in person! lol, or just blow on them and they fall? Or worse?
Used to love that guy,

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What did Benny Hinn do? Slay someone in the Spirit with a wave of his coat? Now I HAVE seen that, in person! lol, or just blow on them and they fall? Or worse?
Used to love that guy,

Oh, it was on daystar back in…’06 I guess it would have been. They were bringing people on stage from a waiting line and this couple came up, holding hands. Benny smacked the lady on the head to slay her and she went down and the man with her. Benny says to a guy, pick him up!! I didn’t touch him! So the guy picks him up but they’re still holding hands, so the woman comes up too. So Benny smacks her forehead again and slays her but they’re STILL holding hands and go down together. Benny puts his hands on his hips and says, PICK HIM UP!! I DIDNT TOUCH HIM!! Well, back up they both come. I didn’t get to see what happened after that because I was running for the bathroom and laughing so hard I couldn’t breathe!
So a man named amazzin banned me because I laughed and made fun of Benny hinn and also because I said I peed my pants laughing, which he said was an awful thing to say. He told me I could not make fun of a preacher…I said he wasn’t a preacher, he was a clown!

Last edited: