What were the sins of Sodom?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello again Tony, I think that this fairly modern saying/idiom/retort, "what does that have to do with the price of tea in China", seems particularly apropos in this case, because it actually serves two purposes (first as a simple and to the point reply, but also as another analogy, of sorts, to help further explain one of the points that I was trying to make to you in my first post above) :Thumbsup:

So (moving quickly to purpose #2), just like the Jewish/OT sayings, "Sodom and her daughters" and "Daughter of Zion", there is no technical, statistical, logical and/or other scientific means or approach that can be used to figure out what that saying,"what does that have to do with the price of tea in China", means. You either know what it means or you do not (and if you don't, the only way to be sure that you do is to be told what it means by someone who does). This (again) is the case with sayings like, "Sodom and her daughters".

Surely you can see that your unique approach to Biblical hermeneutics does not/cannot work in a number of different instances, and that it must, therefore, give way to one of the more standard approaches (especially when you know that it has led you to a conclusion about a verse/passage that can be so easily and immediately demonstrated to be untrue .. like the conclusion that you just reached about women and sin in Ezekiel 16:49, a conclusion that begins to unravel itself in the following verse).

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sodom sin was not homosexuality--those people who came to Lots house were perverse.
It started with pride. It got to the point where they were so in tune with themselves that what Ezekiel in Eze 16:49 wrote ( which you quoted but did it afterward you said it was homosexuality.). No, it was before that. ‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy." This was the beginning of her fall. It just got worse.Sodom became more and more debased over the years.
There was already perversion in the cities of the plain. It was an intent to rape the angels who came in.
Have you ever read of the inhospitality done to visitors?
All you need to do is look at the next verse to know that that is not true, and to know that homosexuality indeed was the sin of Sodom:

Ezekiel 16
50“Thus they were haughty and committed an abomination before Me. Therefore I removed them when I saw it.

Because of their selfishness (in being overfed, and not helping the poor and needy), that same selfishness eventually led them to degenerate into being proud and doing "an abomination". There's a reason homosexual acts are called "sodomy".

Romans 1 describes the sequence of events in the same way: "claiming to be wise, they became fools," and eventually he gets to the homosexuality. I had a friend who was a Christian and an ex gay and he admitted the same--he did it as a way of boasting. He had thought, before converting, that he was Christ returned to earth.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ezekiel 16 (NASB) 49 “Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy. 50 Thus they were haughty and committed abominations before Me. Therefore I removed them when I saw it.”
Ezekiel 16 is about Judah and Israel, not about Sodom. He's just calling Israel "Sodom" 'cuz everbody knew how nasty Sodom was.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ezekiel 16 is about Judah and Israel, not about Sodom. He's just calling Israel "Sodom" 'cuz everbody knew how nasty Sodom was.
Thine elder sister is Samaria, she and her daughters — That is, her lesser towns. “Samaria is called the elder, or greater sister, because it was a much larger city and kingdom, greater for power, riches, and numbers of people, and more nearly allied to Judah. And Sodom is called the younger sister, as being a smaller and less populous city, and further removed in blood from Jerusalem and its inhabitants, being only, as it were, a half sister.

That dwell at thy left hand — That is, toward the north, Samaria lying northward of Jerusalem, as Sodom lay southward of it. For these two quarters of the world are expressed by the right and left in the Hebrew language, being placed in such a position to those that set their faces eastward. The prophet here considers Samaria and Sodom as two cities still subsisting; though Sodom had been long since destroyed, and Samaria had been overthrown one hundred and twenty-seven years before this prophecy of Ezekiel was delivered.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thine elder sister is Samaria, she and her daughters
In context: Ezekiel is called by God to prophesy to God's people; see chapter 2. Chapter 16 starts by addressing Jerusalem, which by extension is referring to the whole Southern Kingdom of Judah. Judah's "sister" is the Northern Kingdom of Israel, which includes Samaria.

Last edited:

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In context: Ezekiel is called by God to prophesy to God's people; see chapter 2. Chapter 16 starts by addressing Jerusalem, which by extension is referring to the whole Southern Kingdom of Judah. Judah's "sister" is the Northern Kingdom of Israel, whose capital is Samaria.
If so, who is "Sodom"?

It says Jerusalem did so many abominations that they made "Sodom, your younger sister, south of you" appear righteous. Who is "Sodom", "south" of Jerusalem, if not Sodom itself?