What Will We Be Doing In Heaven ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be absent of the body is to be present with the Lord. If you do not call that Heaven, then you must have a different lord. My Lord is the King of Heaven.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
To be absent of the body is to be present with the Lord. If you do not call that Heaven, then you must have a different lord. My Lord is the King of Heaven.

Amen7-1.gif

ajdiamond

Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
Mat 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

At the very beginning of his public ministry the first thing that Jesus preached is something so important it effects everything else that follows. The term "at hand" does not refer to time in the sense of coming soon. It refers to location, in the sense of nearby. I can imagine him having his hand on his belly saying, Look at my hand! where is it? The kingdom is at hand! :)

For Jesus taught the lostest of the lost that the kingdom of God is within you. And one is then faced with a question, do the kingdom of God and the kingdom of heaven refer to the same thing? Are they the same? For if they are, the kingdom of heaven is within you. And we need not listen to those who point outward and say, Lo here! or, lo there! (Lk 17:21) it's up in the sky, after you die!

You've thought about this a certain way. Hear Jesus. Repent. Change your mind. It's all within you. And it's all for us, here and now, in this lifetime.

Stefcui

Jan 29, 2012
The City
You've thought about this a certain way. Hear Jesus. Repent. Change your mind. It's all within you. And it's all for us, here and now, in this lifetime.

Here we go, another one...

This is simply a matter of understanding where the power of our destiny lays... it lays within us. We must all make a decision for the kingdom, and that decision affects our destiny, and that decision is within all of us. Jesus used NEW ways of communicating to draw our attention to the new wine he was offerering. You confuse metaphors and allegories for being physical realities.

ajdiamond

Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota

We say amen to this. We believe after we die we will be present with the Lord up in the sky. Yet, if that is what we believe, what are the implications of what precedes it? 2 Cor 5:6 whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord. Are you home in the body? Well then, where is the Lord? Absent.

When we make our home, our center, in the body, in the flesh, the self, the ego, the carnal mind, in the old man we are absent from the Lord. When we make our home in our center, in the kingdom within, we are absent from the flesh/self/natural man and present with the Lord, abiding, resting, in Christ our Life, within.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. - 1 Corinthians 2:8-10

Get the Holy Spirit... You just may get a revelation of the afterlife as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWiKNSE4JW0

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
Yes they did... I have already shown that.

Here are the quotes you gave me.

Justin Martyr said: "(Rusticus the prefect said), "Do you suppose, then, that you will ascend into heaven to receive your recompense?" Justin Replied, "I do not suppose it, but I know and am fully persuaded of it."

Firstly, this is not a quote from Justin, it is someone who is giving the events of His martyrdom. I gave a quote from Justin himself in which he said,

For if you have fallen in with some who are called Christians, but who do not admit this [truth], and venture to blaspheme the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob; who say there is no resurrection of the dead, and that their souls, when they die, are taken to heaven; do not imagine that they are Christians, even as one, if he would rightly consider it, would not admit that the Sadducees, or similar sects of Genistae, Meristae, Gelilaeans, Hellenists, Pharisees, Baptists, are Jews (do not hear me impatiently when I tell you what I think), but are [only] called Jews and children of Abraham, worshipping God with the lips, as God Himself declared, but the heart was far from Him.

Athenagoras said: "We are persuaded that when we are removed from the present life we will live another life, better than the present one. It will be a heavenly life, not an earthly one."

Here again, heavenly is an “Adjective” he is opposing a heavenly life with and earthly life. He didn’t say a life in heaven.

Papias said: "Those who are deemed worthy of a habitation in heaven will go there, others will enjoy the delights in paradise."

This quote from Papias is from a fragment. How can one determine context from a fragment? Just a bit more of the quote shows something is off. Are you suggesting that it will be as Papias says, some will go to heaven, others to Paradise and still others to the earthly kingdom? Where does Scripture teach any such thing? It seems possible that context is needed here.

The Early Church Fathers: Ante-Nicene Fathers Volume 1
Papias Fragment 5
As the presbyters say, then those who are deemed worthy of an abode in heaven shall go there, others shah enjoy the delights of Paradise, and others shall possess the splendour of the city;for everywhere the Saviour will be seen, according as they shall be worthy who see Him. But that there is this distinction between the habitation of those who produce an hundredfold, and that of those who produce sixty-fold, and that of those who produce thirty-fold; for the first will be taken up into the heavens, the second class will dwell in Paradise, and the last will inhabit the city; and that on this account the Lord said, “In my Father’s house are many mansions:” (John 14:2) for all things belong to God, who supplies all with a suitable dwelling-place, even as His word says, that a share is given to all by the Father, according as each one is or shall be worthy.

Origen said: "To those who will deserve to obtain an inheritance in the Kingdom of Heavens, that germ of the body's restoration... It restores a body capable of inhabiting the heavens."

We’ve already discussed Origen, he isn’t in agreement with the earlier writers.

Yes it does, it speaks of what type of bodies we receive - heavenly!

Yes, it gives that quality of the bodies, heavenly. It isn’t telling where those bodies are.

I have shown that the resurrection bodies of the first resurrection are to come with Christ in heavenly bodies... the rest shall be caught up into the air. You will not see what is plain before your eyes. This is a different problem. If you cannot see that which is clear, you have a problem with your sight.

What’s clear Steve? You’ve got two bodies here, resurrected bodies and heavenly bodies. Jesus was raised in the same body that went into the grave. He didn’t have some kind of heavenly body that descended from heaven. The same body that walked on the earth, died and was placed in the tomb was the same body that He had when he resurrected. It was buried a corruptible body and raised incorruptible and glorified. He told the disciples to look at the nail imprints.

I am willing to discuss this point by point, but you wriggle around and confound the discussion with a 1000 different topics. You are not interpreting according to the bible or the ECF. Both of these you have misread and taken out of context. The particular denomination you belong to teaches these errors, so in the end you will support your denomination over the scriptures, so it becomes a useless argument.

God Bless
Steve

Steve,

Again, there's no need for ad hominems. I'm familiar with this tactic. I've not changed m y topic. From the beginning I've said, Christians don't go to heaven. You posted a few verses from the ECF's and that with no context. I showed where Paul teaches that the Christian's "Anchor of the Soul" is the eternal land promise to Abraham. I showed where Irenaeus agreed with that. I showed that Justin agreed with that. I showed the teaching of the ECF's that all souls are contained in Hades until the resurrection. That doesn't leave any time for people to be in heaven. In addition to that I've asked repeatedly for Scripture of Jesus or the apostles teaching that Christians go to heaven when they die and no one has presented any. Rather what's been present are passages in which it is inferred by the poster, not stated in the passage. For instance, 'that where I am there you may be also'. That does not say one is in heaven. One reads that and says God is in heaven and I will be with Him, therefore, I must be going to heaven. That's an inference and doesn't take into account that God is omnipresent. Jesus said, where two or three are gathered in my name I am there. Surely that doesn't mean that when two or three Christians gather together in Christ's name they are immediately taken into heaven. If that were the case millions of Christians would be taken up to heaven every Sunday.

Stefcui

Jan 29, 2012
The City
Get the Holy Spirit... You just may get a revelation of the afterlife as well!

You must really be impressed with this video; you hand it out like it’s forbidden fruit...

Is it the music? Is it the hallelujahs? Or do you just love the whole damn package?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Steve... Wish I could say it was nice knowing you... But it wasn't!

Reactions: aspen

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
We say amen to this. We believe after we die we will be present with the Lord up in the sky. Yet, if that is what we believe, what are the implications of what precedes it? 2 Cor 5:6 whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord. Are you home in the body? Well then, where is the Lord? Absent.

When we make our home, our center, in the body, in the flesh, the self, the ego, the carnal mind, in the old man we are absent from the Lord. When we make our home in our center, in the kingdom within, we are absent from the flesh/self/natural man and present with the Lord, abiding, resting, in Christ our Life, within.

Where does it say heaven is in the sky?

The scriptures are teaching us that wehn we are present in our flesh bodies, we are not present physically where Jesus is, but when our spirit is released, we will be where He is. Sometimes for some, I suppose it is difficult to differentiate the physical from the spiritual, but that is what Paul is doing in 2 Corinthians 5.

Stefcui

Jan 29, 2012
The City
Firstly, this is not a quote from Justin, it is someone who is giving the events of His martyrdom.

It makes no difference.

I gave a quote from Justin himself.

Justin was not denying that we go to heaven, he was denying them that say there is no ressurection (Sadducees), and those who say we go to heaven immediately on death (other sects). You have misquoted Justin to fit in with your own agenda.

Here again, heavenly is an “Adjective” he is opposing a heavenly life with and earthly life. He didn’t say a life in heaven...

Where do you get this from? This is simply not true, it just fits in with your dogmatic agenda to come up with excuses when the text proves you wrong.

This quote from Papias is from a fragment. How can one determine context from a fragment?...

The Papias documents are fragments, but we have the full sentences and context of his statements. Papias says in full:

“As the presbyters say, then those who are deemed worthy of an abode in heaven shall go there, others shall enjoy the delights of Paradise, and others shall possess the splendor of the city; for everywhere the Savior will be seen, according as they shall be worthy who see Him. But that there is this distinction between the habitation of those who produce an hundredfold, and that of those who produce sixty-fold, and that of those who produce thirty-fold; for the first will be taken up into the heavens, the second class will dwell in Paradise, and the last will inhabit the city; and that on this account the Lord said, "In my Father's house are many mansions:" for all things belong to God, who supplies all with a suitable dwelling-place, even as His word says, that a share is given to all by the Father, according as each one is or shall be worthy. And this is the couch in which they shall recline who feast, being invited to the wedding.”

“The presbyters, the disciples of the apostles, say that this is the gradation and arrangement of those who are saved, and that they advance through steps of this nature; and that, moreover, they ascend through the Spirit to the Son, and through the Son to the Father; and that in due time the Son will yield up His work to the Father, even as it is said by the apostle, "For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet.”

This same argument for these same scriptures is used by the fathers right up to Augustine. You are misunderstanding and misquoting the Fathers. Read the Shepherd of Hermas, written at the same time as Papias, or before... Read Clement's letters... Not Clement of Alexandria; Clement who was Peter and Paul's companion... or have you not read his many books?

Are you suggesting that it will be as Papias says, some will go to heaven, others to Paradise and still others to the earthly kingdom?

Again, Papias does not say "earthly kingdom", these are your words added to the text.

We’ve already discussed Origen, he isn’t in agreement with the earlier writers...

This is again not true. If you had read Origen you would know how orthodox he really is. Relying on a text that was manipulated by his enemies is doing the bidding of gnostics. You are guilty of this, not Origen.

Yes, it gives that quality of the bodies, heavenly. It isn’t telling where those bodies are...

Why would we be given "heavenly bodies" that are not for heaven? This position is illogical.

Jesus was raised in the same body that went into the grave...

Your kidding...

Steve,

You posted a few verses from the ECF's and that with no context. I showed where Paul teaches that the Christian's "Anchor of the Soul" is the eternal land promise to Abraham. I showed where Irenaeus agreed with that. I showed that Justin agreed with that.

You have not shown anything. You have quoted Justin out of context; and you have found Irenaues preaching about paradise. You've got nothing!

In addition to that I've asked repeatedly for Scripture of Jesus or the apostles teaching that Christians go to heaven when they die and no one has presented any.

I believe you have misread the scriptures to suit your own dogmas, similar to Jehovah's Witnesses. No amount of scriptures will convince you; you have developed a fixed mindset. I am very sorry that this is the case. If you truly did your research, instead of repeating Tim Warners teaching, you would arrive at a completely different understanding. I hope you do this; you have all the right tools, but you refuse to use them properly.

Steve

Stefcui

Jan 29, 2012
The City
Steve... Wish I could say it was nice knowing you... But it wasn't!

I'm not impressed how you spread your pentecostalism. I am not against Pentecostals; but the way you approach it I do have issues with. You cannot support any of your views other than posting the same videos or long quotations from other peoples opinions. Christianity is not a club. Obviously there is great sensativity over your beliefs. You complained to the Community Guide about me simply for questioning why you post long books onto the threads... Oh, and I said you must be bored... For this you complained?

You have not been charitable toward me, you initially made fun of my post... You have made your comments personal about me, not my teaching. Heaven forbid I start addressing my comments about you personally.

God Bless
Steve

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
Butch5, on 13 February 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:
Firstly, this is not a quote from Justin, it is someone who is giving the events of His martyrdom.

Steve--- It makes no difference.

It makes no difference? Seriously? You’re telling me Justin believed he was going to heaven by giving me a quote from someone else? I gave you just own words, from his own mouth. You’ve given a quote by someone who was anonymous. You've spoken about me putting forth dogma, Steve, what is this? You've made your claim and this quote isn't even from Justin. You say it makes no difference, certainly it does. You're trying to prove what Justin believed, and you're quoting an anonymous writer who contradicts the quote from Justin himself

Butch5---I gave a quote from Justin himself.

Steve---Justin was not denying that we go to heaven, he was denying them that say there is no ressurection (Sadducees), and those who say we go to heaven immediately on death (other sects). You have misquoted Justin to fit in with your own agenda.

The Sadducees were long gone by Justin’s time, it was the Gnostics that he was refuting. You keep saying I’m misquoting Justin, can supply a quote from Justin himself that says he believed Christians went to heaven?

Here again, heavenly is an “Adjective” he is opposing a heavenly life with and earthly life. He didn’t say a life in heaven...

Steve---Where do you get this from? This is simply not true, it just fits in with your dogmatic agenda to come up with excuses when the text proves you wrong.

Steve, the text hasn’t proven me wrong. You keep talking about my dogmatic agenda, yet I’ve done nothing but present the facts.
ἐπουράνιοι adjective normal nominative masculine plural no degree from ἐπουράνιος

[LN] ἐπουράνιος ον (a) in the sky 1.8 ( B) heavenly 1.12 © from God 12.17 (1) σῶμα ἐπουράνιον heavenly body 1.26 (2) τὰ πνευματικὰ τῆς πονηρίας ἐν τοῖς ἐπουρανίοις supernatural powers 12.44

Greek Adjectives
Learning the Greek Adjectives is very important because its structure is used in every day conversation. The more you practice the subject, the closer you get to mastering the Greek language. But first we need to know what the role of Adjectives is in the structure of the grammar in Greek.
Greek Adjectives are words that describe or modify another person or thing in the sentence.
http://mylanguages.o..._adjectives.php This is the first sight I opened.

This quote from Papias is from a fragment. How can one determine context from a fragment?...

Steve---The Papias documents are fragments, but we have the full sentences and context of his statements. Papias says in full:

“As the presbyters say, then those who are deemed worthy of an abode in heaven shall go there, others shall enjoy the delights of Paradise, and others shall possess the splendor of the city; for everywhere the Savior will be seen, according as they shall be worthy who see Him. But that there is this distinction between the habitation of those who produce an hundredfold, and that of those who produce sixty-fold, and that of those who produce thirty-fold; for the first will be taken up into the heavens, the second class will dwell in Paradise, and the last will inhabit the city; and that on this account the Lord said, "In my Father's house are many mansions:" for all things belong to God, who supplies all with a suitable dwelling-place, even as His word says, that a share is given to all by the Father, according as each one is or shall be worthy. And this is the couch in which they shall recline who feast, being invited to the wedding.”

“The presbyters, the disciples of the apostles, say that this is the gradation and arrangement of those who are saved, and that they advance through steps of this nature; and that, moreover, they ascend through the Spirit to the Son, and through the Son to the Father; and that in due time the Son will yield up His work to the Father, even as it is said by the apostle, "For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet.”

This same argument for these same scriptures is used by the fathers right up to Augustine. You are misunderstanding and misquoting the Fathers. Read the Shepherd of Hermas, written at the same time as Papias, or before... Read Clement's letters... Not Clement of Alexandria; Clement who was Peter and Paul's companion... or have you not read his many books?

Steve, It’s still a fragment. Do you see what he is saying? Some will abide in heaven, some in Paradise and some in the city. Where does Scripture teach any such thing? Paradise which most if not all of the fathers place in Hades will be cast into the Lake of Fire. Do you really suppose that believers will be cast into the Lake of Fire? He said some will in heaven, yet there is not a single verse of Scripture that states that. I’m not trashing Papias because I think his work may have been excellent and I saddened that we don’t have access to it. However I wonder what the context of that fragment is.

Are you suggesting that it will be as Papias says, some will go to heaven, others to Paradise and still others to the earthly kingdom?

Steve---Again, Papias does not say "earthly kingdom", these are your words added to the text.

OK, I used the words earthly kingdom. He did say the city, however, the apostle John said, I saw that holy city descend out of heaven, he also said, God will dwell with men. From those statements I think one can make the connection that the city will be on earth.

We’ve already discussed Origen, he isn’t in agreement with the earlier writers...

Steve---This is again not true. If you had read Origen you would know how orthodox he really is. Relying on a text that was manipulated by his enemies is doing the bidding of gnostics. You are guilty of this, not Origen.

Steve, you’ve claimed that some of Origen’s writings were corrupted. If that is so, how do you know that it is the passage I quoted that is corrupted and not the passage that you quoted? Since you’ve presented that idea that Origen’s writings were corrupted could please supply some evidence to that effect and show that the passage I quoted was corrupted and the one you quoted wasn’t?

Yes, it gives that quality of the bodies, heavenly. It isn’t telling where those bodies are...

Steve---Why would we be given "heavenly bodies" that are not for heaven? This position is illogical.

It’s not illogical at all when we consider that heavenly is an adjective. My Bible is a heavenly book, that doesn’t mean it is in or will go to heaven. Heavenly is descriptive and give the qualities of the body. They are not earthly qualities such as those we have now being subject to death, aging, disease, pain, and so on. They are heavenly qualities, such as everlasting life, no pain, no sadness, no need to reproduce and the like.
What’s not logical is why one would need a body to live in heaven. If as you suggest the spirit goes to heaven it seems there is no need of a body there, so there would be no need for a resurrected body. However, to live in this creation one does have need of a body. If as Paul said, the Christians hope is the eternal land promise made to Abraham, then the Christian would be in need of a resurrected body.

Jesus was raised in the same body that went into the grave...

Steve---Your kidding...

Steve, you didn’t quote the entire statement. I also said that body had put on incorruption and glory.

[sup]KJV [/sup]Luke 24:39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

Steve,

You posted a few verses from the ECF's and that with no context. I showed where Paul teaches that the Christian's "Anchor of the Soul" is the eternal land promise to Abraham. I showed where Irenaeus agreed with that. I showed that Justin agreed with that.

Steve---You have not shown anything. You have quoted Justin out of context; and you have found Irenaues preaching about paradise. You've got nothing!

Come on Steve. I thought you were willing to discuss the issue. I gave Paul’s teaching on the promise to Abraham, both Irenaeus and Justin agreed. You can’t keep saying I’ve quoted the ECF’s out of context without at least showing how you believe I’ve done so.

In addition to that I've asked repeatedly for Scripture of Jesus or the apostles teaching that Christians go to heaven when they die and no one has presented any.

Steve---I believe you have misread the scriptures to suit your own dogmas, similar to Jehovah's Witnesses. No amount of scriptures will convince you; you have developed a fixed mindset. I am very sorry that this is the case. If you truly did your research, instead of repeating Tim Warners teaching, you would arrive at a completely different understanding. I hope you do this; you have all the right tools, but you refuse to use them properly.

Steve, this is the third time I’ve had to speak of the ad hominems. You say no amount of Scripture will convince me, that’s not so Steve, I’m very logical and will listen, the problem is that you haven’t presented Scripture that backs up what you’re saying. Instead you just telling me I’m wrong, misquoting the ECF’s and following someone else’s teaching. You said you were willing to discuss the issue, OK, maybe we can start with teaching showing where Jesus or the apostles taught that Christians go to heaven.
You’ve mentioned Dogmas several times now, Steve, I don’t think it’s me who has the Dogma. What I’ve said can be plainly seen in the Scripture. Paul said the Christians “Anchor of the Soul” was the promises made to Abraham, not to go to heaven.

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
Steve,

Since you've studied the ECF's I'd like to ask your position is on several doctrinal issues. What is your position on baptism, war and violence, participation in government, and separation from the world?

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
What does Jesus Christ do in heaven ?
And we enter into the mansions ?

Jesus intercedes for us with the Father. He lives with and among His people there, all the while waiting for the Father to send Him for His Bride. Yes, we have great and beautiful customized homes built just for us according to our own personal likes---all being prepared for us as we speak.

Justinian 1

Jan 24, 2012
Washington
As far as "Every Knee Shall Bow", it is not even listed as a book at the site I order my books from--christianbook.com, so I looked at amazon and lo and behold, of course! I know why it isn't among christianbook's inventory! It is a book on the fallacy of Universalism!

That diverging of the discussion should not happen in this thread, thanks.

Try harder. Those things are literal.
So you actually believe that there are streets in heaven that he have to WALK on? Thats not efficient at all

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello all,
I have taken the 'study' if you will of the Afterlife very seriously. I am a moderator on a near death forum even, ha!
Have read many books from children coming back to atheists to Christians to mean,
nasty, horrible people to suicides who have told there stories after officially flat lining...some
in the morgue, bagged, for a couple hours.

I've even read about gifted mediums when 'here' that 'died' and were able to communicate to
another living medium friend 'here'.
Hundreds of pages have been written.

There are a few things I have gleaned.
(I do not mean any of this to offend anyone - for me, it simply expands on what is written in the Bible.)

There are many different areas. Spheres, if you will. All considered Heaven.
"Many rooms in the mansion". :)
For those that stll identify with the human experience - there are lovely earth- like places, cities,
cottages, streams - and 'jobs.'

As a soul is filled more and more by our Father's Divine Love our hearts become
more and more purified...transformed,
thus, a soul is able to dwell in the Higher Celestial Spheres - that is the only 'key'-- to be
infused with the Father's Divine Love. And that happens by asking in prayer; there, as here.

Some lose the human identity realizing truly
who they are - but how do I say this and not start some battleground here -
I'll say, that they are "lighter, less corporal", but able to slow their vibration at any time to relate to ones on the
'lower' Spheres, appearing in familiar human form ----they can travel to the lower spheres---but
you 'work' at being able to dwell in the Higher Celestial Sheres by praying
to be filled with God's Tranforming Divine Love.

There are no boundaries - but like a fish stays in his own depth naturally; knowing when he has
gone into a no-no zone -so we know where we are meant to be.
But, we can progress in the knowledge and experience of God's Divine Love; there, as here.

And you know what? You don't have to believe a word I'm reporting on.
I'm still open for much more learning.

Being 'saved by Jesus' is not the end point. There are no limits -except what is in the Mind.
Infinite learning lays ahead of us, I understand.
What a magnificent Lord and Creation.
What a wondrous eternaity lays before us...right now.

:) Miss Hepburn