What would it take for an atheist to become a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Moonstone Eterni

Mar 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would an atheist convert to Christianity for $1,000,000? Perhaps $2,000,000? Would he repent of his sins and profess Christ for a Bentley or Rolls Royce car? Or how about a Rolex or Breitling watch? Or would an atheists become a faithful adherent of God for his own private island in the Caribbean, complete with a mansion and private yacht?

The truth is that atheists wouldn’t become a Christian for any of those things. Maybe they want evidence for God’s existence, but enough of that exists through the testimonies of millions of believers. So really, what would make them believe?

Consider: To be a Christian requires a degree of humility: We must accept the fact that we are sinners and therefore embrace Christ as redeemer and savior. Many nonbelievers misperceive repentance as some sort of gaslighting and don’t want to do it. Thus, it’s not that atheists disbelieve due to a lack of evidence (there is actually an abundance of evidence for God’s existence); it’s that they don’t like being told to reject sin.

So to answer the question: An atheist will become a Christian once he quits being in love with his sin, repents of his sins, realizing that someone can only do so through faith in Christ, and then become a Christian.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
What's the point of this? Can someone even be bribed to deceive themselves? Well yes but not with money, unless you consider the prosperity gospel.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regarding the subject of the OP...

I was an atheist for quite a few years before I was healed by Jesus in the hospital. A woman pastor prayed "Jesus, heal this man" and I was instantly healed and believed at that very moment. Additionally, I received my prayer language a day later and have "spoken in tongues" for 45 years.

Reactions: lforrest

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Would an atheist convert to Christianity for $1,000,000? Perhaps $2,000,000? Would he repent of his sins and profess Christ for a Bentley or Rolls Royce car? Or how about a Rolex or Breitling watch? Or would an atheists become a faithful adherent of God for his own private island in the Caribbean, complete with a mansion and private yacht?

The truth is that atheists wouldn’t become a Christian for any of those things. Maybe they want evidence for God’s existence, but enough of that exists through the testimonies of millions of believers. So really, what would make them believe?

Consider: To be a Christian requires a degree of humility: We must accept the fact that we are sinners and therefore embrace Christ as redeemer and savior. Many nonbelievers misperceive repentance as some sort of gaslighting and don’t want to do it. Thus, it’s not that atheists disbelieve due to a lack of evidence (there is actually an abundance of evidence for God’s existence); it’s that they don’t like being told to reject sin.

So to answer the question: An atheist will become a Christian once he quits being in love with his sin, repents of his sins, realizing that someone can only do so through faith in Christ, and then become a Christian.
I think some would. But it would be for fake reasons.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I was an atheist.
What it takes is an open mind and a determination to find and accept truth.
That's what it took for me and God shone the light on my path

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This says more about your values than those of an atheist. It's obvious that you are jealous of the wealthy. Millions? Expensive cars? Expensive watches? Private island? Do you lust after these things?

Then you make blanket judgements about a group of people -- "many nonbelievers" -- in addition to atheists.

As a former atheist, I can tell you that your categorizations are nonsense. The reason I was an atheist was that there was trauma and disappointment in my life, even after praying to God. He never answered my prayers, so after a while I concluded that there was no God.

That's my story. It is nonsense, bordering on bigotry, to classify atheists, a.k.a. nonbelievers, into one single group that lusts after wealth and doesn’t like being told to reject sin.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
What I understand is that athiests are looking for proof that God exists. Unlike the rest of the fallen world, they are persuing truth from fiction and when they get their answer, they will accept Christ as their Lord and Savior.

LookingForGod

Apr 11, 2022
USA-Southeast
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
As an agnostic, which of course isn't the same thing as an atheist, I can affirm that at least one nonbeliever isn't in love with sin. In fact, I'm not tempted to break any of the 10 Commandments, and a lot of people tell me to "live a little" and get drunk, or drive faster than it's safe for me to drive, or do R or at least PG-rated things, and I just don't. They think I'm weird and I just let them think that. There are a few people who like me; I'm kind and love to do things for people.
I very much just want the truth, and if it's God, I will love Him, and do what He wants with pleasure.
Somewhere, I think in the Bible, I read that anyone who acts this way already has God's mark on them. I hope it's the case with me.
Nobody has ever told me yet how to "just believe" in steps that I can follow. My conclusion is that this is something I have to wait for God to make possible. I do what's commonly suggested, reading the Bible and praying and being around Christians.
Some of us very honestly just can't believe on our own.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
As an agnostic, which of course isn't the same thing as an atheist
IMO I think in some ways that they are very similar. The point of difference being, that athiests will refute anything that in anyway, is not consistent with fact, physical evidence or scientific evidence. This can be difficult since proving the Spiritual existence of God in a physical way can only be experienced when God himself enters in and makes himself known ie: Paul and the road the Damascus experience, healings or a divine encounter with God.

I have heard it said that: If there wasn't a God, there would be no athiests. :):)

T. E. Smith

Apr 21, 2022
USA
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
To be a Christian requires a degree of humility: We must accept the fact that we are sinners and therefore embrace Christ as redeemer and savior.
No, the Christian knows with complete certainty that he and his religion must be right. That's not humility. When I became an atheist, I accepted the fact that I don't know.

T. E. Smith

Apr 21, 2022
USA
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
If there wasn't a God, there would be no athiests.
Right, which is why Sam Harris, an atheist, argues that the term "atheist" should not even exist. Right now it is important because belief in God is so common. But if it does eventually become less common, the term atheist will also become less important. Atheists have other terms to identify themselves though - for example: humanist, freethinker.

Alfredthefifth

Jul 19, 2022
Greater Tucson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One Christian writer talks about how he turned from unbelief to belief.

He also talks about how in his journey to becoming a teacher The Holy Spirit in moments that he knew now is the time bound his tongue or directed him to talk about anything but God and faith. The Holy Spirit knew that the defenses against God were at their highest. But a short time later the student told the teacher, "When I was certain you were going to force God on me I cringed and was blocking out." "But because you only talked about how closely our lives have been the same even though we lived miles apart." MY HEART is saying Teach me about God about Jesus and about faith.

Speak freely about Christ's salvation but listen for the Holy Spirit's guidance. Don't force it because belief is frequently sown by one, nourished by another and reaped by yet another.

Speak of the Lord, the Holy Spirit knows that heart the seed is put in, when the Holy Spirit says stay or go away from this heart follow the Holy Spirit. There may be many words heard, many acts of Christian kindness or charity before the seed begins to grow. Then someone or something will find a heart ready to have faith in God.

Many atheists are bombard by will meaning Christ voices, so bombarded that their defenses are firm and well built. But an act of kindness or understanding? What is there to defend against here? Walking away in the Holy Spirit, what defense is built for that? Talking mundane things that may show we are no different from each other? Again what defense is built for this?
Guided by the Spirit, what God the Spirit puts on your heart or in your mouth.

That is how to bring an atheist to God. When you allow God to lead you and no more.

Yours in Christ

Alfredthefifth

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was an atheist until I became a Christian. I was born a Jew and was Bar Mitzvah at 13. I had a very unhappy childhood and "youthhood" (until I was 21). I prayed and asked God to change things but nothing ever happened. So I came to the conclusion that God didn't exist, since my prayers went unanswered. Skip to my mid-thirties. A pastor used to visit our home and we would ARGUE! That got me into reading the Bible to prover her wrong.

I became very sick and was hospitalized with asthma. The doctors couldn't break the spasm. She came to my room, read me Matthew 11:28-30, then asked if she could pray for me. I consented, so she prayed "Jesus, heal this man". The spasm broke and I was instantly healed. I immediately became a Christian. Two days later I prayed for and received the gift of speaking in tongues.

That was 45 years ago. I no longer attend church (due to the risk of COVID-19) but I read the Bible and pray (often in tongues) daily.

Reactions: Alfredthefifth

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Nobody has ever told me yet how to "just believe" in steps that I can follow. My conclusion is that this is something I have to wait for God to make possible. I do what's commonly suggested, reading the Bible and praying and being around Christians.

Consider this proverb: What’s commonly suggested is commonly wrong.

The real issue is who and what to believe.

The program is spelled out by Jesus in the parable of the sower (Matthew 13; Mark 4; Luke 8). A classmate of mine came up with the useful acronym, SHURF. See, hear, understand, repent and be forgiven.

The program is exhibited in Acts 8:12.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love could help too. Christian’s are called to live in faith and love God and their neighbors.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Love could help too.

Love is neither optional (see your excellent comment below) nor a guarantee of success (see the parable of the sower.)

Christian’s are called to live in faith and love God and their neighbors.

I heartily approve of your message. Not that what I approve (or disapprove) is the standard; your words expressed here sound like Jesus, and Jesus sounds like the one God.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love is neither optional (see your excellent comment below) nor a guarantee of success (see the parable of the sower.)

I heartily approve of your message. Not that what I approve (or disapprove) is the standard; your words expressed here sound like Jesus, and Jesus sounds like the one God.
Love is the standard period, a persons choice is their own choice. Even atheist can love, but reject what material church represents when it comes to the contents and context of the Bible. Which is why it’s said to always go and read the Bible with historical understanding of the context that helps keep one from getting caught up as though they live in the first century.