When did Jesus really enter into hell?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

zhavoney

Son Of Man
Aug 25, 2013
zhavoney said:
So why do you think the Whale did not digest Jonah?
So why do you think that what ever swallowed Jonah did not digest him?

Now about the OP and the topic of this thread. Since hell means grave in the majority of verses. Christ went to hell (the grave) when he was placed in the tomb.

Reactions: Spirit Covenant

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Guestman said:
Where did Jesus go when he died ? The King James Bible reads at Acts 2:31, quoting from Psalms 16:10: "He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of the Christ, that his soul was not left in hell (Greek hades), neither his flesh did see corruption." Hence, according to the KJV, Jesus was in "hell" for parts of three days just as Jonah.(Matt 12:40)

Of Jonah, the KJV reads: "Then Jonah prayed unto the Lord his God out of the fish's belly. And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell (Hebrew sheol ) cried I, and thou heardest my voice."(Jonah 2:1, 2)
As I said earlier, some of this confusion about Hell would be remedied if people did not needlessly insist on using an English version of the Bible that is written in antiquated English. Sure, the KJV can still be used if one wants to, but nothing requires us to use it.

zhavoney

Son Of Man
Aug 25, 2013
zhavoney said:
Now about the OP and the topic of this thread. Since hell means grave in the majority of verses. Christ went to hell (the grave) when he was placed in the tomb.
Hell probably does not mean what you think it does. Hell was translated from four words that are Sheol, (the grave) Hades, (the grave) Tartarus, (The bottomless pit) Gehenna, (The valley of the sun of Henom) jeremiah 7:32 "Therefore behold, the days are coming," says the Lord, "when it will no more be called Tophet, or the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, but the Valley of Slaughter; for they will bury in Tophet until there is no room.

Reactions: Spirit Covenant

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dodo_David said:
As I said earlier, some of this confusion about Hell would be remedied if people did not needlessly insist on using an English version of the Bible that is written in antiquated English. Sure, the KJV can still be used if one wants to, but nothing requires us to use it.
Yes, due to archaic English and mistranslations, many have been mislead as to what the Bible teaches, such as the word English word hell. The King James Bible is one notable example, that has caused individuals to be conclude wrongly what the Bible really says. This is no different than having a map whereby the street names are either antiquated, but having been changed on the sign post or entirely mislabeled on the map.

Can you imagine trying to navigate through this area ? A person would easily lose his way and most likely would end up wondering where to go to next. Hence, what is needed ? Just as a person needs an accurate, up-to-date map, so likewise of a Bible. Without such, then trying to grasp Bible truth would be next to an impossibility ! Here are a few examples of the King James Bible:

(1) Psalms 37:20, whereby it says that Jehovah's enemies are like the "fat of lambs" (KJV) instead of "preciousness of pastures".(New World Translation, Hebrew yaqar meaning "valuable" and kar kar meaning "meadow [as for sheep]", "preciousness of pastures" or cow manure to be used as fertilizer)

(2) Acts 7:45, whereby it says "Jesus" (KJV) instead of Joshua.(New World Translation)

(3) Isaiah 16:1, whereby it says "lamb" (KJV) instead of "ram"(New World Translation, Hebrew kar kar, also meaning "a butting lamb".(Concordant English Hebrew Sublinear, idiomatic, Scripture4all, "a ram"[as full-grown and fat], including a battering ram [as butting], Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible)

(4) 2 Thess 2:7, which says: "For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth (Greek katechon, meaning "to hold down" or restrain) will let, until he be taken out of the way" (KJV), instead of "True, the mystery of this lawlessness is already at work; but only till he who is right now acting as a restraint gets to be out of the way."(New World Translation)

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I'd say the KJV (or any other translation for that matter) is worlds better than the JWs NWT. If there were ever a translation that is skewed theologically...

Anyway, back to the OP, I would agree that Jesus did not enter Hell as we commonly understand it as fire and torment.