When did Old Testament saints receive the Holy Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything in my research shows differently. There is nothing I can find in the OT (which includes the gospels) that indicates anyone was being born again prior to Pentecost.

You missed this:

Joh 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
Joh 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
Joh 3:9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?
Joh 3:10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?

The implication is that being born again was not a new teaching and "masters" of OT scripture should have known this already. That means being born again is found in the OT.

jeffweeder

Jul 6, 2007
South Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jn 7

37 Now on the last and most important day of the feast, Jesus stood and called out [in a loud voice], “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink! 38 He who believes in Me [who adheres to, trusts in, and relies on Me], as the Scripture has said, ‘From his innermost being will flow continually rivers of living water.’”

39 But He was speaking of the [Holy] Spirit, whom those who believed in Him [as Savior] were to receive afterward. The Spirit had not yet been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified (raised to honor).

6 Stories

Aug 1, 2021
Chapin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ps 51:10-11
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from Thy presence; and take not Thy holy spirit from me.
KJV

Isa 63:11
11 Then He remembered the days of old, Moses, and His people, saying, Where is He That brought them up out of the sea with the shepherd of His flock? where is He That put His holy Spirit within him?
KJV

We can see by the above that God did impart The Holy Spirit into some of His servants back in Old Testament times. And it must be remembered that He did that for His specific 'chosen' ones that were called into His service, like king David, the Patriarchs, and prophets.

2 Peter 1:20-21
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
KJV

So we shouldn't be ignorantly putting limitations on when and whom God chooses to give The Holy Spirit to, not for back then, nor for today.
You missed the hardest one. 1 Samuel 16:13 "Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah."

I never said that God did not pour out his Spirit on people in the OT. I said that I can't find anywhere the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in the OT. Can you find in the OT that someone's body was the temple of the Holy Spirit? It came upon people many times. It came to David every day, but it didn't seem to come to stay. Instead, it occupied a temple or a tent.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never said that God did not pour out his Spirit on people in the OT. I said that I can't find anywhere the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in the OT. Can you find in the OT that someone's body was the temple of the Holy Spirit? It came upon people many times. It came to David every day, but it didn't seem to come to stay. Instead, it occupied a temple or a tent.

That's only your personal opinion, and not Biblical proof that The Holy Spirit given then was different than today.

With king Saul, because he rebelled against God's commands, God removed the anointing of The Holy Spirit from king Saul. Thus Saul went to the witch of Endor to enquire of an evil spirit of what was going on.

Likewise today, we may 'assume'... that one in Christ Jesus given The Holy Spirit that falls away from Christ will be in a fallen condition to where they no longer heed The Holy Spirit, so He is no longer with them. The believer in Christ can cut off The Holy Spirit by their leaving the Faith and turning to a life of sin. Thus king Saul's state, which shows not much has changed with those who fall away from Christ (Hebrews 6:4-8).

Some like to think that The Holy Spirit was not given by GOD before Christ's death and resurrection, and then His promise to His disciples to send them The Holy Spirit Comforter. They forget that God chose the Old Testament Patriarchs, kings, and prophets for anointing by The Holy Spirit for their service in The Gospel.

My last phrase "for their service in The Gospel" about the Old Testament servants appears to paste question marks upon the faces of those who only study the New Testament Books. The Gospel was first given through Abraham, and Jesus showed in John 8 that He met Abraham in his day. Thus no man can create a religious crutch with GOD's workings of The Holy Spirit. Doing that is like trying to tie a chain to GOD's foot, it's silly.

Num 11:25
25 And the LORD came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, and took of the spirit that was upon him, and gave it unto the seventy elders: and it came to pass, that, when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied, and did not cease.
KJV

Last edited:

6 Stories

Aug 1, 2021
Chapin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was not specifically addressing "bodily resurrection." But since you asked, the only bodily resurrection was the earthly/worldly foreshadowing bodies when Christ was crucified that the prophecy should be fulfilled, and Christ himself. Because of this the resurrection and ascension are often confused--which is a confusion that comes when one believes the physical types or foreshadowing accounts or enactment mean the flesh or physical body inherits the kingdom of God or ascends into heaven. But it does not--it "cannot", meaning that understanding is rather a misunderstanding and not correct.
Jesus ascended in a flesh and bone body, maybe without blood. The 2 witnesses ascended and people watched them. Why would the physical body be raised if it didn't have a spirit coming to fill it?
Scripturally then, the resurrection includes the worldly/earthly types and foreshadowings as physical, but the ascension does not--as "God is spirit." Thus, the passage I quoted: "we who are alive and remain", refers rather not to the flesh body, but only to the spiritual body--the only body which by God's definition is actually "alive."
A transfiguration type of event is coming for "we who are alive and remain." The physical body became a spiritual body.
All the saints are "in Christ." Granted, with such a great multitude, it is hard to fathom Christ and his body (the church) which once were the dead and the living, as being "One" and how so many can be included in being the only "begotten" Son in whom we are a part.
All the saints are one with Christ as a man and woman are one in marriage. We don't disappear in heaven. The saints are seen in heaven separate from Christ throughout the Revelation, but not before Christ appears in heaven.

6 Stories

Aug 1, 2021
Chapin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything in my research shows differently. There is nothing I can find in the OT (which includes the gospels) that indicates anyone was being born again prior to Pentecost.

OT believers had the spirit upon them or in them…. but it was conditional depending on the faithfulness of their walk… That does not diminish them as believers as Hebrews 11 clearly states … But being born again of incorruptible seed was not available. If it had been available …. would their even have been a need God to send His Son to redeem mankind from the clutches of Satan and death.

Thirty-seven times throughout the OT (not including gospels) of just the term “spirit upon” is used….. including…. Num_11:26 → Eldad & Medad ….. Num_24:12 → Balaam ….. Judges_3:9 → Othniel ….. Judges_6:34 → Gideon ….. Judges_14:6 → Samson ….. Judges_15:4 Lehi ….. 1 Sam_ 11:6, 16:13, 19:20 → Saul ….. 2 Kings_2:9 → Elisha ….. 2 Chron_15:1 → Azariah ….. 2 Chron_24:20 → Zachariah ….. Isaiah_59:21 → Isaiah ….. Ezekial_ 3:24, 11:5, 37:1 → Ezekial ……………..to name a few.

But only two times in the Epistles are the words “spirit upon” used ...

*Once in I Peter…. Which was written to those born-again Jews who were scattered about in what later became known as Asia minor.
*1Pe 4:14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: [ on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.]
[[ The words crossed out in italics are omitted in most all critical Greek text including Aramaic Peshitta ]]

This is the same verb “rest” used in Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

The second is in Acts which is part of the quote from Joel 2:28-32

Act 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
Thanks Tommy Cool

6 Stories

Aug 1, 2021
Chapin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's only your personal opinion, and not Biblical proof that The Holy Spirit given then was different than today.

With king Saul, because he rebelled against God's commands, God removed the anointing of The Holy Spirit from king Saul. Thus Saul went to the witch of Endor to enquire of an evil spirit of what was going on.

Likewise today, we may 'assume'... that one in Christ Jesus given The Holy Spirit that falls away from Christ will be in a fallen condition to where they no longer heed The Holy Spirit, so He is no longer with them. The believer in Christ can cut off The Holy Spirit by their leaving the Faith and turning to a life of sin. Thus king Saul's state, which shows not much has changed with those who fall away from Christ (Hebrews 6:4-8).

Some like to think that The Holy Spirit was not given by GOD before Christ's death and resurrection, and then His promise to His disciples to send them The Holy Spirit Comforter. They forget that God chose the Old Testament Patriarchs, kings, and prophets for anointing by The Holy Spirit for their service in The Gospel.

My last phrase "for their service in The Gospel" about the Old Testament servants appears to paste question marks upon the faces of those who only study the New Testament Books. The Gospel was first given through Abraham, and Jesus showed in John 8 that He met Abraham in his day. Thus no man can create a religious crutch with GOD's workings of The Holy Spirit. Doing that is like trying to tie a chain to GOD's foot, it's silly.

Num 11:25
25 And the LORD came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, and took of the spirit that was upon him, and gave it unto the seventy elders: and it came to pass, that, when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied, and did not cease.
KJV
Can you give a rebuttal to Tommy Cool's post. Coming upon and abiding in are 2 separate manifestations.

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians chapter 2:20 . And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus christ Himself being the chief corner stone.
Abraham is prophet. God called him out of city of Haran. Genesis chapter 12.
Let's understand this.

Abraham, the prophets and apostles are the election.
Romans chapter 8 . They are predestined, chosen before foundation of the world. They have the holy spirit.

Many people have spirit of slumber. Documentation, Isaiah chapter 29.
Romans chapter 11
Isaiah chapter 6
Matthew chapter 13
Those with spirit of slumber have free will.
God's Election don't have free will.
Get the picture.

Why the Elect??

Because they stood against satan rebellion in first earth age. One third of God's children followed satan in rebellion in first earth age. God judged the election on the spot.

The election have destiny.
Ephesians chapter 1 . Saints are God's Elect. They are chosen before foundation of the world.
In the latter times. The election are teachers and pastors and evangelists.

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You missed this:

Joh 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
Joh 3:10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?

The implication is that being born again was not a new teaching and "masters" of OT scripture should have known this already. That means being born again is found in the OT.

That would possibly be an implication if it did not contradict a boatload of other scripture….which it would.

As a ruler of the Judeans, Nicky should have been knowledgeable of what he scripture said regarding the Christ what He was to accomplish….. The gift of holy spirit was anticipated ever since Adam lost spirit life and transferred his dominion over all the earth to the devil.
Nick did not understand the spiritual birth and Jesus had to carefully explain it to him.... And he hung around after his one-on-one with Jesus. ... In fact he was the one (after Joseph of Arimathaea placed Jesus in the tomb) who came and wrapped Jesus in grave cloths and anointed him with spices. (John_19:39 &40)

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The implication is that being born again was not a new teaching and "masters" of OT scripture should have known this already. That means being born again is found in the OT:

1Sa 10:6 And the Spirit of the LORD will come upon thee, and thou shalt prophesy with them, and shalt be turned into another man.
1Sa 10:7 And let it be, when these signs are come unto thee, that thou do as occasion serve thee; for God is with thee.
1Sa 10:8 And thou shalt go down before me to Gilgal; and, behold, I will come down unto thee, to offer burnt offerings, and to sacrifice sacrifices of peace offerings: seven days shalt thou tarry, till I come to thee, and shew thee what thou shalt do.
1Sa 10:9 And it was so, that when he had turned his back to go from Samuel, God gave him another heart: and all those signs came to pass that day.

Eze_18:31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

Is being another man and having another heart (new man and new heart) after receiving the Holy Spirit the same as being born again? I say yes!

2Co_5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Eph_4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Also, this is how one could inherit eternal life before the new covenant came into effect:

Mat 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
Mat 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
Mat 19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself

Luk 10:25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
Luk 10:26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
Luk 10:27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
Luk 10:28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

The concept of regeneration is well known in the OT. Anyone that knows the bible knows that this is true:

Barnes:

John 3:10
A master of Israel - A “teacher” of Israel; the same word that in the second verse is translated “teacher.” As such a teacher he ought to have understood this doctrine. It was not new,” but was clearly taught in the Old Testament. See particularly Psa_51:10, Psa_51:16-17; Eze_11:19; Eze_36:26. It may seem surprising that a man whose business it was to teach the people should be a stranger to so plain and important a doctrine

Psa 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
Psa 51:11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

Eze 11:19 And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh:

Eze 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you give a rebuttal to Tommy Cool's post. Coming upon and abiding in are 2 separate manifestations.

His argument is still semantics. In Luke 16 with the parable of Lazarus and the rich man, Jesus showed that Abraham was on the side the saved, which is also where Lazarus was taken to.

At the end of John 8, Jesus revealed that He had seen Abraham, and that Abraham had rejoiced to see His day, and was glad. And per Hebrews 7, Paul revealed that Jesus was the Melchisedec of The Old Testament which blessed Abraham and offered him "bread and wine". Thus Abraham knew The Gospel; he just didn't get to live to the time of Christ's 1st coming, death and resurrection, or after like we have.

So if one wants to argue technicalities, the actual 'point' of being 'born again' for those of the Old Testament would have been at Jesus' resurrection when He went and preached to the "spirits in prison" and led out those who believed, which was prophecy in Isaiah 42:7 that He would do that. But for the OT Patriarchs and prophets, king David, etc., I do not believe they ever were in darkness in that heavenly prison house.

Thus this still begs the question of, "does Jesus have the power to save through The Gospel even before His 1st coming"?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus ascended in a flesh and bone body, maybe without blood. The 2 witnesses ascended and people watched them. Why would the physical body be raised if it didn't have a spirit coming to fill it?

A transfiguration type of event is coming for "we who are alive and remain." The physical body became a spiritual body.
No, the physical body dies and returns to the dust. Don't let the enactment foreshadowing that was only visual to show or reveal to us what is otherwise unseen, fool you. That is what I have already explained. The visual simulation was only to show us what otherwise cannot be seen--but that does not mean that what was seen is what occurs--that would be against other scripture, as what is spirit is unseen. Ask yourself and reason, if I draw you a picture of something that is not otherwise visible--is the drawing real, or just a drawing?

I am telling you--what you have believed is partly just a sort of drawing.

Thus, in order to properly understand what was revealed one must reconcile it all with what is also written and hold to the truths of both accounts. On the contrary, what you (and most of Christendom) have assumed is wrong, for it does not reconcile all of scripture regarding what is spiritual as being unseen.

Even so, the spirit is willing but the flesh is week and therefore most likely to continue to believe according to the flesh, and to glorify the flesh.

All the saints are one with Christ as a man and woman are one in marriage. We don't disappear in heaven. The saints are seen in heaven separate from Christ throughout the Revelation, but not before Christ appears in heaven.
No, the saints do not remain separate but are returned to be One with Christ, as Adam before Eve was separated from him. Stated another way, the saints become One with Christ as Jesus and the Father are One--not separate. But again, the flesh prefers to believe according to the flesh and the ways of this world...which are passing away.

6 Stories

Aug 1, 2021
Chapin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians chapter 2:20 . And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus christ Himself being the chief corner stone.
Abraham is prophet. God called him out of city of Haran. Genesis chapter 12.
Let's understand this.

Abraham, the prophets and apostles are the election.
Romans chapter 8 . They are predestined, chosen before foundation of the world. They have the holy spirit.
I don't see the link between predestination in Romans 8 and how the Holy Spirit worked in the Old Testament.
Many people have spirit of slumber. Documentation, Isaiah chapter 29.
Romans chapter 11
Isaiah chapter 6
Matthew chapter 13
Those with spirit of slumber have free will.
God's Election don't have free will.
Get the picture.

Why the Elect??

Because they stood against satan rebellion in first earth age. One third of God's children followed satan in rebellion in first earth age. God judged the election on the spot.

The election have destiny.
Ephesians chapter 1 . Saints are God's Elect. They are chosen before foundation of the world.
In the latter times. The election are teachers and pastors and evangelists.
Hebrews 11:13-17
13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
14 For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country.
15 And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.
16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

OT people of faith did not receive the promise of heaven.
Heaven was not yet prepared until Jesus was the lamb in heaven in Rev 5.

Hebrews 11:39-40
39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:
40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

God provided New Testament saints with heaven and then OT saints were also allowed in.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OT people of faith did not receive the promise of heaven.

Of course they did.

2Ki_2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

Jesus also spoke of Lazarus and Abraham being in heaven while wicked people like the rich man was tormented in hades.

6 Stories

Aug 1, 2021
Chapin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His argument is still semantics. In Luke 16 with the parable of Lazarus and the rich man, Jesus showed that Abraham was on the side the saved, which is also where Lazarus was taken to.
I agree with this, but when I called it the "good side of hell," there were objections.
At the end of John 8, Jesus revealed that He had seen Abraham, and that Abraham had rejoiced to see His day, and was glad. And per Hebrews 7, Paul revealed that Jesus was the Melchisedec of The Old Testament which blessed Abraham and offered him "bread and wine". Thus Abraham knew The Gospel; he just didn't get to live to the time of Christ's 1st coming, death and resurrection, or after like ??we have.
Any thoughts as to when Abraham saw 'Jesus' day?' A vision when Abraham was alive? Was Abraham watching Jesus from "the good side of hell?"
So if one wants to argue technicalities, the actual 'point' of being 'born again' for those of the Old Testament would have been at Jesus' resurrection when He went and preached to the "spirits in prison" and led out those who believed, which was prophecy in Isaiah 42:7 that He would do that. But for the OT Patriarchs and prophets, king David, etc., I do not believe they ever were in darkness in that heavenly prison house.
My point in my recent threads is most people conclude that Rev 4:1 jumps to a time way in the future from the 1st century. I am trying to show what else they must conclude if this is their position. I am doing this by questioning when OT saints went to heaven, by the songs in Rev 4 and 5, and by the fact that there is only one time in history than an all powerful, all knowing Jesus would have had to be given the scroll.
Thus this still begs the question of, "does Jesus have the power to save through The Gospel even before His 1st coming"?
People have always been saved by faith through grace.
My position is that OT saints were saved by faith in a creator God, but they were not able to get into heaven - song 1
NT saints are saved by faith in Jesus, who paid the penalty for sin. This removed the temple veil, symbolically the door to heaven was opened, heaven was now prepared for mankind. Song 2

6 Stories

Aug 1, 2021
Chapin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, the physical body dies and returns to the dust. Don't let the enactment foreshadowing that was only visual to show or reveal to us what is otherwise unseen, fool you. That is what I have already explained. The visual simulation was only to show us what otherwise cannot be seen--but that does not mean that what was seen is what occurs--that would be against other scripture, as what is spirit is unseen. Ask yourself and reason, if I draw you a picture of something that is not otherwise visible--is the drawing real, or just a drawing?

I am telling you--what you have believed is partly just a sort of drawing.

Thus, in order to properly understand what was revealed one must reconcile it all with what is also written and hold to the truths of both accounts. On the contrary, what you (and most of Christendom) have assumed is wrong, for it does not reconcile all of scripture regarding what is spiritual as being unseen.

Even so, the spirit is willing but the flesh is week and therefore most likely to continue to believe according to the flesh, and to glorify the flesh.

No, the saints do not remain separate but are returned to be One with Christ, as Adam before Eve was separated from him. Stated another way, the saints become One with Christ as Jesus and the Father are One--not separate. But again, the flesh prefers to believe according to the flesh and the ways of this world...which are passing away.
Lets try a different approach.
Genesis 1:6 "And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters."
This firmament extends from the earth through the stars. It is our physical universe.
Are the waters above the firmament invisible?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lets try a different approach.
Genesis 1:6 "And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters."
This firmament extends from the earth through the stars. It is our physical universe.
Are the waters above the firmament invisible?

"Eye has not seen"...

But you have not included what is above the firmament, but only what is below (which is our physical universe). In other words, the passage speaks of both the spirit "above" and also the spirit "below", manifest in worldly terms using "waters" for heavens. Again, this is to show both what is seen and also what is unseen, but only shown by an object of example. Such is the use by God of parables common to revelations, wherein the object is not actually the subject but only an example or illustration. This is the means by which all hidden things are revealed before the judgement.

6 Stories

Aug 1, 2021
Chapin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Eye has not seen"...

But you have not included what is above the firmament, but only what is below (which is our physical universe). In other words, the passage speaks of both the spirit "above" and also the spirit "below", manifest in worldly terms using "waters" for heavens. Again, this is to show both what is seen and also what is unseen, but only shown by an object of example. Such is the use by God of parables common to revelations, wherein the object is not actually the subject but only an example or illustration. This is the means by which all hidden things are revealed before the judgement.
Thanks ScottA. I will have to think on these things.

Reactions: ScottA

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is, they did not have the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit. It came upon them once in a while, but it did not stay.
The Spirit of God dwelt within Joseph, not a once in a while kind of thing

(A Man In Whom The Spirit Of God Is)

Genesis 41:38-42KJV
38 And Pharaoh said unto his servants, Can we find such a one as this is, a man in whom the Spirit of God is?
39 And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, Forasmuch as God hath shewed thee all this, there is none so discreet and wise as thou art:
40 Thou shalt be over my house, and according unto thy word shall all my people be ruled: only in the throne will I be greater than thou.
41 And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, See, I have set thee over all the land of Egypt.
42 And Pharaoh took off his ring from his hand, and put it upon Joseph's hand, and arrayed him in vestures of fine linen, and put a gold chain about his neck;

The Spirit of God came upon David and never left (From That Day Forward)

1 Samuel 16:13KJV
13 Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That would possibly be an implication if it did not contradict a boatload of other scripture….which it would.

As a ruler of the Judeans, Nicky should have been knowledgeable of what he scripture said regarding the Christ what He was to accomplish….. The gift of holy spirit was anticipated ever since Adam lost spirit life and transferred his dominion over all the earth to the devil.
Nick did not understand the spiritual birth and Jesus had to carefully explain it to him.... And he hung around after his one-on-one with Jesus. ... In fact he was the one (after Joseph of Arimathaea placed Jesus in the tomb) who came and wrapped Jesus in grave cloths and anointed him with spices. (John_19:39 &40)
They were natural branches as long as they were not cut off, because of sin. The wild branches needed the second birth. If Nicodemus was cut off as a natural branch, he needed to be born again, and grafted back in.

All humans have the Holy Spirit working inside of them, unless they are reprobate. The issue is not receiving the Holy Spirit, it is being submitted to the Holy Spirit. One can be born from above barely and not take full advantage of the power of the Holy Spirit.

God points out that one should be hot or cold. But lukewarm, committed one day, and not the next, going back and forth is not preferably to God.

Some, like the disciples, really had no choice. It was obedience or death. No being cold nor lukewarm. Being filled, like the day of Pentecost is not a "when". It is the "who" God was using in that generation.

Like the 144k in Revelation 7. They have no choice nor say in their redemption and participation. They are sealed by an angel, and redeemed and changed on the spot. That is not a "when" situation. That is a "who" God needs for a very important task. Some claim they are symbolic of the NT church. No, the original 12 disciples were symbolic of the NT church. The 144k are God's chosen for the Day of the Lord. Do they need to be filled with the Holy Spirit? Did Adam need to be filled with the Holy Spirit before He disobeyed God? Seems being a fully restored son of God makes redemption and submission to the Holy Spirit redundant. A son of God would abhor sin and wickedness as much as God does. A son would not naturally disobey the Father. Being under submission to the Holy Spirit only applies to Adam's dead corruptible flesh, where obedience to God is contrary to Adam's nature, now in the state of death under the bondage of the law of sin.

The Holy Spirit was available through the Covenant of keeping the Law. That is what being a natural branch would entail. Being under the Law was not an evangelical outreach. But being blessed of God would draw the wild branches as a form of a witness. Israel was seldom so in tune with God to receive such blessings. They seemed to always want what the rest of the world had. While being in Adam's dead corruptible flesh, they still were natural branches and that was their redemption until they were cut off and outside of the Covenant until their physical death. That was what happened to King Saul. He was literally cut off because of his continuing disobedience.