When did the Bible become the word of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here is a simple question, probaly aimed more at the elder ones on thsi froum. But when did teh bible strt being called" the word of God".

See in teh 60s when i went to mass in my old countery, it was the "bible"
Whe nI came to australia in the 70's and went to mass, it was teh " bible"
In all my encounters even with christians in the next few years it was still "the bible"
When I gave my Life to teh Lord in a Christian churhc in the 90s some time it was still. " teh bible"
It has really only being in recent times that I se it being called " the word of God", possibly from what I hear from a friend of mine, it came about through some of these bif TV evangelsits. But still can anyone share some light on this subject.

In all His Love

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Probably from the understanding gained from many verses like these:

Jer_36:6 Therefore go thou, and read in the roll, which thou hast written from my mouth, the words of the LORD in the ears of the people in the LORD'S house upon the fasting day: and also thou shalt read them in the ears of all Judah that come out of their cities.

Jer_30:2 Thus speaketh the LORD God of Israel, saying, Write thee all the words that I have spoken unto thee in a book.

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
I would think it more puzzling why they call it the Bible instead of the Book of the Word of Life. There is no mention of the word Bible in the Bible.. But the Word of God is from beginning to end.
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
KJV
2 Tim 3:15-4:1
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
KJV

Rom 10:17
17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
KJV
2 Cor 2:17
17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.
KJV
Eph 6:17
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
KJV

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
After looking I found this

Remember: Every time you call the Bible the W/word of God, you are giving it the honour and place that belongs to Jesus alone

Jesus the Word of God come in the flesh.

In all His Love

The Bible (from Koine Greek τὰ βιβλία, tà biblía, "the books")

They called it what it is, a collection of books and letters.

SilenceInMotion

Dec 10, 2012
Virginia, USA
Even if you go with the most zealous solo scriptura adherent's interpretation, the Bible would only be about 1/3 prophesy and direct words from God. The majority of the Bible is God inspired, and many people tend to over exaggerate the context of the word 'inspire'. That is probably what led to this newly founded 'Word of God' claim in the first place.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
SilenceInMotion said:
Even if you go with the most zealous solo scriptura adherent's interpretation, the Bible would only be about 1/3 prophesy and direct words from God. The majority of the Bible is God inspired, and many people tend to over exaggerate the context of the word 'inspire'. That is probably what led to this newly founded 'Word of God' claim in the first place.
SilenceInMotion said:

What do you mean by God inspired?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
SilenceInMotion said:
It also allows some people to (unconciously) slide from the word(s) of God to the Word of God = Jesus, because Jesus is the Word (of God).

The Bible thus takes on an almost deified role for them.

makahiya117

Mar 21, 2013
mjrhealth said:
Here is a simple question, probaly aimed more at the elder ones on thsi froum. But when did teh bible strt being called" the word of God".

In all my encounters even with christians in the next few years it was still "the bible"
When I gave my Life to teh Lord in a Christian churhc in the 90s some time it was still. " teh bible"
It has really only being in recent times that I se it being called " the word of God", possibly from what I hear from a friend of mine, it came about through some of these bif TV evangelsits. But still can anyone share some light on this subject.

In all His Love

When an individual says " the Bible " that individual is speaking like a parrot or a deceiver.

There are over 400 (Christian, Catholic, Cult) Greek, Syrian, Latin, German, English, French, Spanish, etc., Bibles

which do not match in content, volume or doctrine.

Additionally, over 6 billion Bibles have been printed.

I am 18 yrs postdoctoral Ed.D. in higher education.

I look at three areas: data base, brain function and the spirit

I recommend a bachelor of science in academic theology,

a general education in comparative theology.

The B.S. academic theology curriculum is unlike most schools of divinity

which are sectarian seminaries or ecumenical graduate schools.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Officially it was 325 AD in Nicea. Of course unofficially it was always the word of God. But does God care if we "officially" accept and institutionalize something? Does that change anything in eternity?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Officially it was 325 AD in Nicea. Of course unofficially it was always
the word of God. But does God care if we "officially" accept and
institutionalize something? Does that change anything in eternity?
Men call the Koran the Koran Holy just as some call teh bible holy, does that make it so. Does God change, the bible says He doesnt, again if thats the case either He is a liar or we worship over 40 different similar Gods, which one is it,

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
The Bible is called the "word of God." There is no such thing as "Bible" in the Holy Bible. The word "scripture" in Greek is "graphe" and is referring to the Old Testament books. Jesus is also called the "Word of God" with a capitilized "W". In here, Jesus is called the "Logos." Logos and graphe are not the same. The Logos is a person while "graphe" is a written word from the page of a book. The Logos is who we worship. We do not worship "graphe."

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Quiet good Selene except for the first part. The bible is is the bible, it is not called anything else not even in the bible.

In all His most wonderful Love

Robertson

Jun 11, 2013
The Bible came about when some of Constantine's men decided what should go in there or not. Of course "Bible" isn't mentioned in the Bible because when the prophets and apostles wrote their stuff there was no such thing! They didn't know their writings would be put all together. They didn't know councils would be held by people who were not prophets and who lacked the spirit of god, and that these people would argue over what writings would be allowed and what would not, and that these people would really be vying for power!

The Bible is important in that it teaches of Jesus, it brings people to have faith and to repent of their sins, and to seek to be baptized by Jesus' authorized servants and receive the Holy Spirit by those same servants. Unfortunately, people get caught up in thinking that the book itself contains that authority, as if one who reads it is automatically ordained. To put it this way, as wonderful as the Bible is, if it was lost or destroyed and we had it no more, the Church of Jesus Christ would continue unabated under His authorized servants. The church is LED by Jesus Christ. We are not left to merely try and follow what he told people thousands of years ago. He tells us today through his servants. AMEN!

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Jesus says that he is the way, the TRUTH and the life. For he is the Word of God that proceedeth from the Father('s mouth) for he is called the Bread of life that we must feed upon to renew our minds to the things of God. All scripture is GOD BREATHED for our learning and edification. Jesus died to bring forth many sons for God to keep His Word alive on this earth for it is the foundation, the very Rock that all creation is built by an upon. For God uses His Word to create all things that do exist.
Jesus is the Word of life, the living water that we must be washed by (Word of God) the angels food to make one holy as a child of God. He is the Seed that is planted into our hearts so that the Word is not just found on pages, but is written upon our hearts to not just be a hearer of the Word but a doer. If man stays in his fallen condition the world will be the same chaos and darkness that it is in right now.
This is how important the Word of God is to mankind:
John 1:1-4
1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
KJV
John 17:17
17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
KJV
John 17:14
14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
KJV
John 17:6
6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.
KJV

2 Peter 1:18-21
18 And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.
19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
KJV
John 21:25
25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.
KJV
Gen 15:1-2
15:1 After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.
2 And Abram said, Lord GOD, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?
KJV
Heb 4:12
12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
KJV
1 Peter 1:23
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
KJV
1 Peter 1:25
25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.
KJV
1 John 1:1-2
1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;
2(For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)
KJV
1 John 5:7
7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
KJV
Rev 19:12-15
12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
KJV
1 John 2:5
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
KJV
Eph 6:17
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
KJV
Eph 5:26
26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
KJV
Heb 11:3
3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
KJV

sanhedrin

Aug 23, 2013
mjrhealth said:

In all His Love
Like a climate change, biblical believers over magnified the bible into such terminology as "the Word of God," making the bible God in itself, but without them knowing it to be one form of idolatry.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
sanhedrin said:
Like a climate change, biblical believers over magnified the bible into such terminology as "the Word of God," making the bible God in itself, but without them knowing it to be one form of idolatry.
Who are the "biblical believers"? The Protestants? The fundamentalists? During Catholic Mass, the Bible is thrice referred to as "The Word of the Lord". How this is making the Bible an idol perplexes me.

Robertson

Jun 11, 2013
This Vale Of Tears said:
Who are the "biblical believers"? The Protestants? The fundamentalists? During Catholic Mass, the Bible is thrice referred to as "The Word of the Lord". How this is making the Bible an idol perplexes me.
Anyone who worships the book, claims it as the only divine authority needed to use priesthood, and rejects continuing revelation from God as impossible, is someone that makes the Bible an idol. Anyone who follows the Bible and is not led by Jesus Christ through His authorized servants is living in the past and making the Bible an idol. To put your absolute trust in a book that contains few of the happenings of God and His people, to the very point that you deny the living God and His people, makes the Bible an idol.

This means a lot of churches, but especially those that say, "Come, let's read and TRY to follow the Bible."

The question is, Do you have a relationship with the living God? If your answer is something along that lines that you read what He told people thousands of years ago, then you are way off track. Reading someone else's story gives you faith to go and get your own stories, live your own spiritual life, but it does not mean you should make their story your idol and think that is all you need.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
sanhedrin said:

Scripture is God-breathed.
The lector is not simply a public reader of the Bible. At Mass, the Lord uses the lector as the instrument through who he proclaims his Word to the people. Think of this as the lector lending God his human volice so that God's words can be spoken to us at Mass. What an amazing honour and priviledge it is to read the Word of God! And what a blessing it is for us to hear it (see Rev 1:3) (Edward Sri, A Biblical walk through the Mass).

The way I see it is that after proclaiming the scripture the lector says "The Word of the Lord" to emphasis it is God's Word that has been proclaimed not himan ones.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Scripture is God-breathed.
Which part is scripture and which is not, and which bible, considering they all differ, is teh one that is the word of God??? Or is God didvided???

In all His Love

day

Aug 2, 2012
Idaho, USA
mjrhealth said:

In all His Love
I think it may have started with the explosion of Independent and Pentecostal churches. I grew up in mainline Protestant churches and I don't remember it there. I checked my reference on Ante-Nicene Christian writers and non of them used "word of God" to refer to Scripture, only "the word of the Lord" the same as in liturgical use today.