When you see someone flash their headlights, what does that mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was younger in high school, we used to flash our lights when we saw a car and also saw the police. That way they could slow down and not get a ticket :)

But I found this interesting article that explains: Here’s What It Actually Means When Someone Flashes Their Headlights at You

"Flashing headlights can actually mean a few different things, depending on the context. Fortunately it only takes a second to check the two things the other driver might be trying to alert you to: your own headlights, and potential dangers ahead of you in the road."

Anybody have any other reasons they know about?

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Around me, it can mean either you forgot to put your lights on or, there is a cop ahead...

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always use caution when I see the flashing lights. But these people don't even pay attention to lights flashing on warning signs, lol:

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes or someone left their brights on.
That's when we turn on our brights and off again, lol. Lights turned off and on again for "hey, you're lights are off, or police ahead slow down. Bright's on and then off, Hey, turn off your brights. they are blinding me. :D

• Haha

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was younger in high school, we used to flash our lights when we saw a car and also saw the police. That way they could slow down and not get a ticket :)

But I found this interesting article that explains: Here’s What It Actually Means When Someone Flashes Their Headlights at You

"Flashing headlights can actually mean a few different things, depending on the context. Fortunately it only takes a second to check the two things the other driver might be trying to alert you to: your own headlights, and potential dangers ahead of you in the road."

The only reason I've ever flashed my headlights is to let someone know they are driving in the dark without their headlights.

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I've only ever flashed the lights at someone when I noticed they were doing something dangerous like lights being out

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In the UK, flashing headlights usually means, "I'm giving way to you - you can pull out" (Or "come on through ", depending on the context.) In continental Europe, on the other hand, it means "Get out of my way!"

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the UK, flashing headlights usually means, "I'm giving way to you - you can pull out" (Or "come on through ", depending on the context.) In continental Europe, on the other hand, it means "Get out of my way!"
Wow that's quite a bit different.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Take you hockey net off the road. :)

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When my wife and I visited a city with a notorious gang problem, we were told if someone flashes their headlights at you, do not respond. Also, if you see a car driving at night with no lights on, do not flash your headlights at them. The local gangbangers had a game going where if anyone flashes their lights at them, they consider it a challenge to their authority from a rival gang and they might take a shot at your car as you pass.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When my wife and I visited a city with a notorious gang problem, we were told if someone flashes their headlights at you, do not respond. Also, if you see a car driving at night with no lights on, do not flash your headlights at them. The local gangbangers had a game going where if anyone flashes their lights at them, they consider it a challenge to their authority from a rival gang and they might take a shot at your car as you pass.
I think I remember hearing something like that down in California. This says it's just an urban legend though: Fact check: Flashing your headlights is not a trigger for a deadly gang initiation rite

Reactions: Lambano