Where does the Pope get his authority?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My argument had been against YOUR claim that these errors were written into Canon Law.
Okay, you win.
Which begs the question therefore, on what basis were these practises so persistently executed against a people whose sole purpose in life was to share the gospel of Jesus Christ and live in harmony with man and nature? I accept your declaration that it wasn't canon law to specifically murder Waldensian folk, although the authority to persecute heretics was and is in Canon law, originating as I said from that authority passed on to the bishop of Rome by the emperor Justinian, bestowing upon the Pope the right to lord himself over all churches, which right he has never relinquished.
So where was the justification? That it was church policy there surely can be no doubt, as the Waldenses weren't the only people/culture so abominably mistreated and targeted. If not Canon law that demanded the extermination of so called heretics, then what?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you actually proved me right by quoting those dictionaries...
Becomes irrelevant.
Thank you for confirming my initial statement.
You are unbelievable. The denominations you said that you would not classify as Protestant CALL THEMSELVERS PROTESTANT.

Those denominations fit the DICTIONARY DEFINIITON OF PROTESTANT!!

And you believe that I proved you right and what is written in the dictionary is irrelevant and I confirmed your initial statement. :Happy::jest::Laughingoutloud::jest::Laughingoutloud::jest::Laughingoutloud:

I am literally LAUGHING while typeing this to you...........You will never admit to being wrong!

You are probably the most
incorrigible person I have communicated with on this forum.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, you win.
Which begs the question therefore, on what basis were these practises so persistently executed against a people whose sole purpose in life was to share the gospel of Jesus Christ and live in harmony with man and nature? I accept your declaration that it wasn't canon law to specifically murder Waldensian folk, although the authority to persecute heretics was and is in Canon law, originating as I said from that authority passed on to the bishop of Rome by the emperor Justinian, bestowing upon the Pope the right to lord himself over all churches, which right he has never relinquished.
So where was the justification? That it was church policy there surely can be no doubt, as the Waldenses weren't the only people/culture so abominably mistreated and targeted. If not Canon law that demanded the extermination of so called heretics, then what?
First of all – I already told you that here were leaders within the Church over the centuries that not only made mistakes – but behaved abominably. This, however, does NOT detract from the truths of Christ’s Church anymore that Peters reprehensible behavior in Galatians 2, for which Paul rebuked him.

Secondly, this "harmonious" people was anythig BUT. They lived in open rebellion aganst the Church, proliferating heresy. Today, we live in an era of ENDLESS heresy and mockery of God, so it's difficult for you to understand what an unthinkable abomination it was at that time for a sect to openly reject the Eucharist.
The Church, at the time surmised that endangering a person's eternal soul was a FAR grater threat to the public than any physical harm they might do.

As for the Pope’s Authority over the Church – this was NOT granted by any Emperor or mere human - but by Jesus Christ, who is God (Matt. 16:18-19, John 21:15-19), The Emperor’s approval of his Authority is neither here nor there . . .

Jude Thaddeus

Apr 27, 2024
ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If it's neither here nor there, then where is it? :)
I think BofL means it makes no difference what the emperor thinks, he has no church authority. Sometimes, the emperor and the pope were at odds with each other, such as Emperor Constans II ordering the arrest of Pope Martin I, who dies in exile. 681:
No emperor ever made an official church teaching.

Last edited:

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You are unbelievable. The denominations you said that you would not classify as Protestant CALL THEMSELVERS PROTESTANT.

Those denominations fit the DICTIONARY DEFINIITON OF PROTESTANT!!
Doesn't matter what they call themselves. They aren't protesting any more, therefore they aren't Protestant. The dictionary you quoted gave the practise of protesting... Being protesting in favour, or for the testimony, that is sola scriptura, and against Rome. The wannabe Catholic Bishop, the late Tony Palmer, declared several times in large meetings that the protest was over, on the basis that the Lutherans and other former Protestant denominations were now for all intents and purposes in agreement with Rome because Rome, apparently, have changed. Rome, purportedly, now follow scripture and encourage it's reading... Rome no longer persecutes dissenters... Rome and the Lutherans have now publically declared agreement on justification by faith. So, no longer reason to protest, and everyone, mostly evangelicals, charismatics, and mainline denominational non Catholics, in the auditorium gave him a standing ovation. They agreed. The reformation and Protestantism was now over.
The dictionary definitions were correct, and still apply, but not to them.

Reactions: BarneyFife

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YES, luxury: a condition great ease and comfort according to the dictionary. And that is what you and your ilk enjoy by not fighting against/defending people who are attacking your home, Neiborhood, Town, State or Country....ease and comfort.

Your "brothers" knew they could potentially go to prison for their "stand". My "brothers" know they could potentially DIE or loose a limb or suffer life long PTSD because they took a "stand"! Cry me a river THC.........

Yup, there would be peace on earth if all men where like you and your men. But there is one little problem with your fantasy: Satan

So get out of your fantasy world. Read all of Scripture in context. Find a man among you like Moses who as long as his arms were raised his enemies were being slaughtered.
Your stance is no different from the “world”; other religions, in Christendom, in Islam, even atheists, act the same way & propose the same agenda you do.

All followers of Christ, we are supposed to be called to a higher standard, and being “not of / no part of” this world as Jesus prayed (John 17:14-16). And to “keep…. without spot from the world” (James 1:27;4:4). But I guess such worldly thinking has been ingrained in you, and you have a hard time seeing it. I can understand that, I leaned toward that kind of thinking too.

But what helped me, besides recognizing that Jesus stated that love would identify His followers (John 13:35), was reading Isaiah 2:2-4, a prophecy about the Last Days, which we are living in:

“And it shall come to pass in the latter days, that the mountain of Jehovah's house shall be established on the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

3And many peoples shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of Jehovah, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of Jehovah from Jerusalem.

4And he will judge between the nations, and will decide concerning many peoples; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning-hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.”

This is being fulfilled now in these Last Days, among those who accept & follow Jesus, worshipping his Father Jehovah God, whom Jesus worshipped.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think BofL means it makes no difference what the emperor thinks, he has no church authority. Sometimes, the emperor and the pope were at odds with each other, such as Emperor Constans II ordering the arrest of Pope Martin I, who dies in exile. 681:
No emperor ever made an official church teaching.
He may not have authority within the church, but I'm Justinian's case, He had authority over his empire, and the bishops acted with his permission. He was interested in theology, and wanted Christianity to flourish, but augmented his zeal with a powerful bent toward persecuting those who differed from his view as to who was the boss of the church. Hence other sects and even nations became victims of his intolerance. He wanted the popes to rule not only in Rome as the early bishops desired, but gave them official sanction to rule over all Christendom, which upset the other bishops in Antioch, Alexandria, Jerusalem, and elsewhere. Also, the Gothic kings had no intention of submitting their authority to someone else, and it took 5 years before Justinian's general Belisarius was able to "convince" them to leave, after having dealt permanently with the Vandals in North Africa. . That was in 538ad. The Goths did return a couple of times, but their number was up, and they eventually disappeared from existence.
All of the above was precisely as the prophets Daniel and John had revealed would take place during the rise and fall of pagan Rome.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your stance is no different from the “world”; other religions, in Christendom, in Islam, even atheists, act the same way & propose the same agenda you do.
I have not proposed an agenda. I have stated facts.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn't matter what they call themselves. They aren't protesting any more, therefore they aren't Protestant. The dictionary you quoted gave the practise of protesting... Being protesting in favour, or for the testimony, that is sola scriptura, and against Rome. The wannabe Catholic Bishop, the late Tony Palmer, declared several times in large meetings that the protest was over, on the basis that the Lutherans and other former Protestant denominations were now for all intents and purposes in agreement with Rome because Rome, apparently, have changed. Rome, purportedly, now follow scripture and encourage it's reading... Rome no longer persecutes dissenters... Rome and the Lutherans have now publically declared agreement on justification by faith. So, no longer reason to protest, and everyone, mostly evangelicals, charismatics, and mainline denominational non Catholics, in the auditorium gave him a standing ovation. They agreed. The reformation and Protestantism was now over.
The dictionary definitions were correct, and still apply, but not to them.
Well, if it 'doesn't matter that they call themselves' Protestants then it doesn't matter EVEN MORE that you don't call them Protestants. ;)

Even though in REALITY it does matter what they call themselves especially when what they call themselves fits the DICTIONARY DEFINITION of what they call themselves. But you don't live in reality. You live in a world where you are always right and you double down when you are proven wrong.

Just because the word PROTEST is in PROTESTant doesn't mean one is actively protesting when they call themselves a Protestant. Any etymologist (or 3rd grader) would tell you that. I know, I know, you are going to say it doesn't matter what etymologists say.........YOU are right and they are wrong!!! You crack me up.....