Where does the Pope get his authority?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you telling me the Catholics are taking credit for what is written in the Bible. They could not even put it together properly. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are not the "New Testament" since God did not put a paper in the Bible between Malachi and Matthew that says New Testament.
For that matter “Bible” isn’t a word that appears in Scripture – so why do YOU use it?

It’s called the “New Testament” because Jesus gave His Church the Authority to declare such a thing.

What part of the following do you NOT understand?
Matt. 16:19 / M1tt. 18:18

Amen, I say to you, WHATEVER YOU BIND on earth shall be bound in heaven, and WHATEVER YOU LOOSE on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Luke 10:16

Whoever listens to YOU listens to ME. Whoever rejects YOU rejects ME. And whoever rejects ME rejects the ONE who sent ME."

Reactions: The Learner

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is not one verse that says Jesus is God the Son. Nor has there ever been a teaching on it anywhere in the Bible. The Jews never saw it anywhere in the entire Old Testament nor anyone in the New Testament ever taught it. The Catholics who invented this nonsense have used only about 8 verses that they have to piece together from statements that are scattered all over the New Testament. One should think if such nonsense was true and important that it would have been taught by someone. And it is not. Only in the minds of Catholics who cannot explain it.
For your information – the Trinity is a banned topic on this forum.
However – since YOU in dire need of education – I’ll help you out here . . .

Under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit - John calls the Son, GOD.”
John 1:1

In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the word was God.

The Jews tried to kill Jesus for claiming He was GOD.
John 8:58

“Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.

Isaiah prophesied about Jesus, calling Him. “Mighty GOD”.
Isaiah 9:6

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

After seeing the risen Christ, Thomas called Him, “GOD.”
John 20:28

And Thomas answered and said unto him [Jesus], “My Lord and my God!”

The author of Hebrews quotes Psalm 45 and calls the Son, “O, GOD.”
Heb. 1:8

But about the Son he says, “Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever; a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom.

God says:
Rev. 1:8

I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”

Jesus Christ says:
Rev. 22:13

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”

• Love

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm an advanced senior Christian. I graduated. There's no more searching for me. I no longer try to get God or Jesus Christ to work with me or to get close to me. I now spend much of my time right inside the spirit as close as I can get right in their face. The Greek word menō translated "abide" often deals with being in him, which I'm very concerned about when it comes to walking in Christ, which I believe is the same as walking in the spirit. To be in him or to abide in him deals with remaining or continuing to be present. To dwell, live, and be within him to the end that we are operative in him by his divine influence and energy. My first red flag that started me looking into how to do this was when I realized it's the Catholics that teach we are sinners. They teach us to look at ourselves and our sin. I teach that we should look at Christ and to walk in his spirit.
That's the most arrogant and Scripturally-bankrupt claim I've read on this forum.
You're a flawed, imperfect sinner in need of God's mercy like the rest of us (Rom. 7:7-25) . . .

• Love

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're a flawed, imperfect sinner in need of God's mercy like the rest of us (Rom. 7:7-25) . . .

Those IGNORANT of God's Word believe when Christians become born again they become sinners! clueless-doh.gif

Romans 7 guy is not yet a Christian... he says he is sold under sin.

Those getting born again are no longer sold under sin as they have been redeemed...

• Love

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Those getting born again are no longer sold under sin as they have been redeemed...
"redeemed" includes being open to truth, it is not a license to bash Catholicism with lies., or anybody else for that matter. Only a minority within a minority of so called "born agains" act like religious thugs: The Christian Taliban. What's so "redeemed" about that? Nothing. Catholic bashing is self defeating.

Last edited:
  • Love

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those IGNORANT of God's Word believe when Christians become born again they become sinners! View attachment 42165

Ummmm, speaking of ignorance . . .

First of all - Paul is "the guy" from Romans.

Secondly, "redeemed" simply means that you've been paid for at a price (1 Cor. 6:20) and now have way OUT from sin through Christ. It does NOT mean that you will never sin again.
Paul's entire message here (Rom. 7:7-25) is about this VERY thing.

And nobody said that you become a sinner when you are born again.
You REMAIN a sinner who now has hope . . .

• Love

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

But about the Son he says, “Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever; a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom.

God says:

I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”

Jesus Christ says:

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”
just study it all https://www.calvarychapelboston.com/Biblical Basis Trinity Bowman.pdf

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's the most arrogant and Scripturally-bankrupt claim I've read on this forum.
Of course we disagree. You see yourself as a sinner and I see myself as the righteousness of God in him.

2 Corinthians 5:21
...that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God says:

Jesus Christ says:

Like I said there's no teaching on it. Just verses that are pieced together from statements that are scattered all over just like what you posted.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For that matter “Bible” isn’t a word that appears in Scripture – so why do YOU use it?

It’s called the “New Testament” because Jesus gave His Church the Authority to declare such a thing.

What part of the following do you NOT understand?
Matt. 16:19 / M1tt. 18:18

Amen, I say to you, WHATEVER YOU BIND on earth shall be bound in heaven, and WHATEVER YOU LOOSE on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Luke 10:16

Whoever listens to YOU listens to ME. Whoever rejects YOU rejects ME. And whoever rejects ME rejects the ONE who sent ME."
You lost me. What's your point here?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And who was Paul, but a member of the Catholic Church, the ONLY Church at that time? A little objective study of history would help you out a lot, I think.
There's a lot of guys like you who believe the Catholics are the same group that Jesus started. I believe they are not.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's a lot of guys like you who believe the Catholics are the same group that Jesus started. I believe they are not.
The difference is that I provided historical evidence for my position.
YOU provided nothing but your
opinion . . .

• Love

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You lost me. What's your point here?
Because YOU claimed that the term "New Testament" was not Scriptural - I provided Scriptural evidence that Christ's Church has the Authority to call it whatever it wants to.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like I said there's no teaching on it.
Nonsense.
I just gave you SEVERAL teachings on it from Scripture- and YOU provided nothing in the form of a Scriptural
refutation.
Just verses that are pieced together from statements that are scattered all over just like what you posted.
Those "scattered verses" are the sacred, inerrant Word of Almighty GOD.
Nice try . . .

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nonsense.
I just gave you SEVERAL teachings on it from Scripture- and YOU provided nothing in the form of a Scriptural
refutation.

Those "scattered verses" are the sacred, inerrant Word of Almighty GOD.
Nice try . . .
There's no teaching on it. All you have are verses that have to be pieced together from statements that are scattered all over. A teaching would be a whole chapter or a few of them on a topic. Now I'm an expert in biblical data. So I can comment on any verse in the Bible that you can come up with. Would you like one? How about John 1:1...

Jesus Christ is not a lexical definition of logos. The verse does not say "In the beginning was Jesus." The "Word" is not synonymous with Jesus, or even the "Messiah." The word logos in John 1:1 refers to God's creative self-expression... His reason, purpose and plans, especially as they are brought into action. It refers to God's self-expression or communication of Himself. This has come to pass through His creation and especially the heavens. It has come through the spoken word of the prophets and through Scripture. Most notably it has come into being through His Son. The logos is the expression of God and is His communication of Himself just as a "word" is an outward expression of a person's thoughts. This outward expression of God has now occurred through His Son and thus it's perfectly understandable why Jesus is called the "Word." Jesus is an outward expression of God's reason, wisdom, purpose and plan. For the same reason we call revelation "a word from God" and the Bible "the Word of God."

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because YOU claimed that the term "New Testament" was not Scriptural - I provided Scriptural evidence that Christ's Church has the Authority to call it whatever it wants to.
Oh I see how you lost me. You think I said something different than what I said. I said the gospels are not part of the New Testament. The new covenant deals with what God created in Christ and that is not taught until you get past Acts chapter two. Most of the gospels are addressed to the Jews and not Christians since there were no Christians until the book of Acts. Now the Catholics don't know this so they teach prayers from the gospels that do not concern Christians.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The difference is that I provided historical evidence for my position.
YOU provided nothing but your
opinion . . .
I get that a lot from folks on here. You're not the only one. When you speak it's God's Word. When I speak it's my opinion.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those IGNORANT of God's Word believe when Christians become born again they become sinners! View attachment 42165

The problem is that anyone can claim they are 'born again' and yet be sinners, look at one of my favorite speakers, Ravi Zacharias....