Where does the Pope get his authority?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Pope is the Catholic shepherd-- the Judas goat.

Let us appoint a replacement for Judas.....

1708528989841.png

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Must you be so insulting?

Why not listen to some folks who have PhD's in the Bible, etc., some of whom taught in Protestant seminaries? These folks, through their study of the Bible and Christianity, became Catholic.

Dr. Doug Beaumont:

Dr. Scott Hahn:

Dr. Jason Reed:

Dr. Tory Baucum:

Dr. Benjamin Lewis:

If you need more, I can provide you with many more.

My observation is that people who leave the Catholic Church did so through ignorance. They didn't know what the Catholic Church taught. They were convinced by someone else whom they allowed to influence them through their ignorance. They couldn't answer the questions posed to them.

Those people who come into the Catholic Church, like the ones listed above, come in because they entered a deep, intellectual study of the Bible, theology, the teachings of the Church, the history of Christianity, etc. They didn't enter through ignorance, but because they discovered the fullness of truth taught by Christ's Church.

post #264
The Catholic church has never been right about anything. I use that as a gauge. If the Catholics teach it then I know it must be wrong. I can't think of one thing that they ever taught that was correct. Not one.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Pope gets his authority from Jesus Christ. Authority is always "given" not "taken." And, authority also implies responsibility. the level of authority is always in equal proportion to the level of responsibility to whom the authority is given.

Matt. 16:19 - Jesus said to Peter, the first Pope, "I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” This is Jesus (God) giving His godly authority to Peter to govern and sanctify His Church here on earth.
I think Jesus is the leader of the Church and not Peter. I think he looked at Peter and said you are a little stone. And then he probably pointed to himself and said upon this Rock I will build my Church. The Rock Christ Jesus is the head of the Body of Christ.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr E

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Catholic church has never been right about anything. I use that as a gauge. If the Catholics teach it then I know it must be wrong. I can't think of one thing that they ever taught that was correct. Not one.

Ever notice how “particular” Catholics boo hoo about being “insulted” while loading their comments with text “INTENDED” to insult non-Catholics? Comical but sad as they give a negative impression upon all Catholics…

The humorous part is non-Catholics faith is not measured by an others words.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Doctrine of the Trinity is wrong??? You said, " that is why even the independent church in your neighborhood today most probably believes that there is a trinity," You oppose them too???

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ever notice how “particular” Catholics boo hoo about being “insulted” while loading their comments with text “INTENDED” to insult non-Catholics? Comical but sad as they give a negative impression upon all Catholics…

The humorous part is non-Catholics faith is not measured by an others words.
The humorous part is you measure your private opinion as authoritive above non-Catholic faith. That's been demonstrated repeatedly. I don't insult non-Catholics. I insult arrogant bigotry because it's self defeating and has devastating consequences on society. The end result is violence, vandalism and the burning down of churches. Anti-Catholics like you foment hatred (in the name of Jesus,o_O ) and you complain when we defend our heartfelt faith.
Non-Catholic faith is not measured by your private opinions and self taken authority.

Is there any non-Catholic member you agree with besides the Seventh Day Adventists?

Last edited:

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Doctrine of the Trinity is wrong??? You said, " that is why even the independent church in your neighborhood today most probably believes that there is a trinity," You oppose them too???
Absolutely the trinity is theirs. It did not come from God. It came from the Catholics.

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think Jesus is the leader of the Church and not Peter. I think he looked at Peter and said you are a little stone. And then he probably pointed to himself and said upon this Rock I will build my Church. The Rock Christ Jesus is the head of the Body of Christ.
False dichotemy, Peter. The analogy here is Jesus is our King. The office of Pope (Peter was the first) is ruling Jesus' kingdom here on earth until His return.

In Jesus' day, the king always had a second-in-command to run the kingdom in the king's absence (away at war, visiting other kingdoms, ill, etc.). Whatever this second-in-command ruled (bound or loosed) during the king's absence was upheld by the king upon his return. (See Isaiah 22:22 for an example.) This second-in-command carried a large key or two (2-3 ft. long) over his shoulder as a sybol of his authority. This position was dynastic, not a one-off. If the second-in-command died, another was appointed to take his place.

THIS is exactly what Jesus established in Matt. 16:19, when Jesus gave Peter the "keys to the kingdom of heaven" and told Peter that whatever he bound on earth would be bound in heaven and whatever he loosed on earth would be loosed in heaven. In other words, Jesus would back up Peter's (or his replacement's) official rulings in heaven.

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does the Pope store this authority?
Safety deposit box?
One of those seven thousand dollar Yeti coolers?
Buried somewhere with a treasure map in his pocket?
I’m willing to bet if you look amply, you can find it.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't insult non-Catholics.

It is plainly revealed on this forum, you repeatedly give it your best shot attempting to be insulting to non-Catholics….even while you claim you do not…LOL

The end result is violence, vandalism and the burning down of churches. Anti-Catholics like you foment hatred (in the name of Jesus,o_O )

Again gaslighting as you rattle off, violence, vandalism, burning of churches, AS IF it’s all about Catholics and your AGAIN false unfounded personal accusation against me.

WOW…I wonder how many you have managed to encourage to join your twisted brand of Catholicism….

and you complain when we defend our heartfelt faith.

Defense is one thing I have zero issue with, being a jerk is entirely different and well noted in your posts.

Non-Catholic faith is not measured by your private opinions and self taken authority.

You are one who keeps speaking for me, then speaking against what you say for me…
Gaslighter… You fool no one with your worn out tactics.

Is there any non-Catholic member you agree with besides the Seventh Day Adventists?

You only need to know, I do not agree with YOU.
Anyone I agree with, is my business to say, not yours.

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The humorous part is you measure your private opinion as authoritive above non-Catholic faith. That's been demonstrated repeatedly. I don't insult non-Catholics. I insult arrogant bigotry because it's self defeating and has devastating consequences on society. The end result is violence, vandalism and the burning down of churches. Anti-Catholics like you foment hatred (in the name of Jesus,o_O ) and you complain when we defend our heartfelt faith.

You are the only authority.

Evidenced by that you are now free to agree, or, disagree.

All that’s in question is will the response be preceded by truth.

I love you.
Thought’s arise about me, deflection & projection do seem to happen, yet none is true.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
False dichotemy, Peter. The analogy here is Jesus is our King. The office of Pope (Peter was the first) is ruling Jesus' kingdom here on earth until His return.

In Jesus' day, the king always had a second-in-command to run the kingdom in the king's absence (away at war, visiting other kingdoms, ill, etc.). Whatever this second-in-command ruled (bound or loosed) during the king's absence was upheld by the king upon his return. (See Isaiah 22:22 for an example.) This second-in-command carried a large key or two (2-3 ft. long) over his shoulder as a sybol of his authority. This position was dynastic, not a one-off. If the second-in-command died, another was appointed to take his place.

THIS is exactly what Jesus established in Matt. 16:19, when Jesus gave Peter the "keys to the kingdom of heaven" and told Peter that whatever he bound on earth would be bound in heaven and whatever he loosed on earth would be loosed in heaven. In other words, Jesus would back up Peter's (or his replacement's) official rulings in heaven.
Well, if you are correct then God should have terminated every pope after Peter because not one of them ever taught the Scriptures correctly. As I type this I can't think of one thing the Catholics ever taught that was correct. Not one. In fact, I use them as a gauge to help me understand the Scriptures. If the Catholics teach it then I realize it must be a false biblical concept.

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, if you are correct then God should have terminated every pope after Peter because not one of them ever taught the Scriptures correctly. As I type this I can't think of one thing the Catholics ever taught that was correct. Not one. In fact, I use them as a gauge to help me understand the Scriptures. If the Catholics teach it then I realize it must be a false biblical concept.
Isn’t it weird how stereotyping seems to happen, yet no one is actually stereotyped?
Just weird is all.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Absolutely the trinity is theirs. It did not come from God. It came from the Catholics.
The Holy Trinity is a divine revelation, defended against heretics in the first major councils, whose verdicts are accepted by Protestants, Orthodox and Catholics. That puts you in a minority within a minority. I think the real reason the Trinity is a banned topic is because it refutes anti-Catholicism. I dare say the admins of this board are in a state of schism, and the old rules got thrown in the trash.

Reactions: Augustin56

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter, do you consider yourself to be on the same level as God, telling Him what he should or shouldn't have done? Just curious...

The New Testament, by the way, was written by members of the Catholic Church. And it was the Catholic Church, in the late 4th century, at the councils of Rome, Hippo, and Carthage, that decided that those writings were worthy of being called Scripture.

The Early Church taught mostly orally, not in writing, since the vast majority could neither read nor write. Jesus never said "Go write a book." He commanded the Apostles to go forth and preach and teach (orally).

Reactions: Illuminator

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

In this episode of The Cordial Catholic, I'm joined by former White House speaker writer, New York Times #1 best-selling author, Bible scholar, historian, and Catholic convert Joshua Charles to talk about his simply incredible conversion story. A lifelong Protestant, Joshua was steeped in Scripture from an early age, collecting study Bibles as soon as he could read and it was his love for Scripture that began to find him asking some uncomfortable questions about the Evangelical faith he was practising. Questions about authority, biblical interpretation, what "binding and loosing" meant, how to understand Baptism, and many more questions like this. When Joshua began digging into the Bible professionally, and was tasked with researching the Early Church, he began to find himself asking even more uncomfortable questions and finding a Christianity, at its roots, that looked very different from what he had experienced in his time as an Evangelical. This incredible story told by a prolific writer and wonderful storyteller and it's utterly captivating. What truly happens when someone abandons themselves to searching for the Church Christ founded, at its very beginning? Well Joshua is here to tell you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Augustin56