Where Would You Start If ...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joe Luna

Dec 2, 2009
... you wanted to do a systematic study of the Bible, have already read it from cover to cover, and wanted to come as close to a graduate level degree in Pastoral counseling as possible?

...without the college time. This would be an independent effort for the time being.

I've been degreed in Business Management and I'd really just look for the meat here.

1. How could you approach this most efficiently?
  2. What experience would be the most helpful?
  3. Which resources would you engage?
  4. What websites would you bookmark?
  5. Who would you contact?
  6. What newsletters and periodicals would be of interest?
  7. What pitfalls would you avoid?

This is a path I am very strongly considering.

Thank you for your insights.

Irish

Jan 31, 2010
... you wanted to do a systematic study of the Bible, have already read it from cover to cover, and wanted to come as close to a graduate level degree in Pastoral counseling as possible?

...without the college time. This would be an independent effort for the time being.

I've been degreed in Business Management and I'd really just look for the meat here.

To start I'd get a Companion Bible, it will have structure in the side column; a Strongs concordance and "How to enjoy the Bible" by Bullinger. This will save you years of backtracking and developing bad habits.

Irish

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

I have studied in the Master's Degree program of a major seminary in the North East.
Theology was my major and church history was my minor field of study.
There is nothing that can match a formal education in Biblical and Historically related subjects. PERIOD.

The biggest single pitfall in religious studies is to take a shortcut.
There are no shortcuts to heaven and there is no shortcut to a solid education.

Bite the bullet and do yourself a favor.

Yield yourself to a formally guided educational environment, one with serious Christ loving instructors who can help you and show you how to study, how to organize your thoughts and how to express yourself.

FYI: there are a number of opportunities for enrollment ONLINE. You don't necessarily have to sit in a classroom.
Do a little browsing and you'll find just the thing you need.

A blind man cannot find his way along the road of education. He needs guidance.

The world is full of self-educated, opinionated idiots. Do yourself a favor and don't become one of them.

Study hard and learn well, and do so by becoming a disciple of someone who knows better than you.
You cannot do this by yourself.
There never was such a thing as "The Lone Disciple".

It worked for Jesus and his disciples. It will work for you.