Where's the water?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

UppsalaDragby

Feb 6, 2012
River Jordan said:
That when you take water from a low point and move it to a higher point, it moves back to the low point.
So if you take a clunk of water and spit it out of your mouth then it ends up in your mouth again? Try to put some thought into this River. As I pointed out, the earth is not a cobblestone in a dish.

Pay closer attention. The analogy is using water from a dinner plate to try and cover the cobblestone that is sitting on the plate. You can't do it for the very simple reason that whenever you try and move the water over the stone, the water just runs right back down to its low point (the plate).
I don't need to pay any closer attention to the analogy than I originally did. I got it the first time. And even then I realized that the analogy stinks. Cobblestones do not have subteranean pressure that shifts and varies from place to place, they do not have the porosity of the earth, and neither does the center of gravity of a cobblestone in a dish resemble the center of gravity of the earth. Case closed. Figure out a better analogy.

No, I'm not an expert in geology. But I have several friends who are, and three of them now work for oil companies. Not one of them uses young-earth flood geology in their work. Also, Christian geologist Glen Morton used to be a young-earth creationist, but as he started to work in the oil industry he noticed that they were all using old-earth, non-flood geology as their framework for finding new sources of oil. Then he asked all his YEC colleagues who were working for oil companies if they were using anything from YEC in their work. He describes the results...

"But eventually, by 1994 I was through with young-earth creationISM. Nothing that young-earth creationists had taught me about geology turned out to be true. I took a poll of my ICR graduate friends who have worked in the oil industry. I asked them one question.

"From your oil industry experience, did any fact that you were taught at ICR, which challenged current geological thinking, turn out in the long run to be true? ,"

That is a very simple question. One man, Steve Robertson, who worked for Shell grew real silent on the phone, sighed and softly said 'No!' A very close friend that I had hired at Arco, after hearing the question, exclaimed, "Wait a minute. There has to be one!" But he could not name one. I can not name one. No one else could either. One man I could not reach, to ask that question, had a crisis of faith about two years after coming into the oil industry. I do not know what his spiritual state is now but he was in bad shape the last time I talked to him."

Now, if you're going to make the positive claim that oil companies actually do use YEC, flood geology in their work, then please provide supportive evidence.
I believe I have seen that article before. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with what I asked you for. YECs, OECs, Christians and athiests change sides all the time, some of them for the weakest of reasons. And if you think the "silent guy" on the phone represents all YECs then you perhaps you should take the time to read all the rebuttals that Glenn Moron has received by other YEC's. I'm not going to list them here, but if you want I can do that. But perhaps we can get back to what I actually asked you for (and was part of the text you quoted) was this:

"where is your evidence that they are adhering to an old earth model rather than a young earth one, and that it has led them to find oil and gas that they would not have found using a young earth model."

That's a silly question. That's like saying "Is human interpretation of ancient Hebrew scrolls equivalent to God's revelation?" If you're going to use "it has to be interpreted by humans" as an excuse to dismiss something as God's revelation, then you have to apply that standard consistently, which means you must also dismiss scripture on the same grounds.
It's not a silly question. YOU were the one that made the claim that "The world around us also serves as God's revelation, and it simply does not show anything supportive of this young-earth flood geology".

Now since the age of the earth is open to interpretation, what you are trying to say here that those who believe in an old earth are correctly interpreting "God's revelation". All I am doing is calling you to task and demonstrate why you think this is so. Trying to dodge the question by referring to Hebrew scripture isn't helping you out here.

Creationists who claim that continental plates moved long distances in very short times (to alter the topology of the earth as you stated) have to account for the necessary consequences. Specifically, moving that much mass requires ridiculous amounts of energy, most of which is given off as heat. YEC John Baumgardner estimated (in his "runaway subduction" model) about 1028 joules just from the subduction in his model. That's more than enough to boil off the oceans.
brrrr.. what's going on here? That is another comment that doesn't address the point I made or answer the question I asked.

Yeah, I hear those atheists believe in a spherical earth too!!
So.. how many Christians don't believe that? If you want be childish about this then maybe I will stoop at pointing out that the leader of the Flat Earth society is an evolutionist. But perhaps, as honest Christians, we should try to reduce the amount of crap in this thread to a bare minimum.. don't you think?

????????? You just described the evidence that supports the idea that the EoG pre-dates the Hebrew story. Thus, there is an evidential basis for the idea. If you have actual evidence for the idea that the Hebrew story pre-dates the EoG, then present it. If you don't, then what I've presented is the most consistent with the evidence.
All I did was show you how the evidence we have does not conclusively show that the EoG predates the Hebrew story, which is exactly what I said. So why all the question marks? YOU made the CLAIM that "The Babylonian Epic of Gilgamesh pre-dates the Hebrew flood story."

I clearly demonstrated that you cannot make such an assertion.

IF on the other hand you had said that the evidence we have supports that the EoG was WRITTEN DOWN before the Genesis account then I would definitely agree with you.

Get it??? ^_^

Then there's no need to debate whether this flood is possible or supported by the data. Whenever you encounter an impossibility or contrary data, you can just invoke a miracle. And that of course takes us completely out of the realm of "scientifically supported".
Sure, I could, but have I? Please list them for me.

The only "miracles" I ever mention are the one's listed in the Bible. Nothing more, nothing less. And although you seem to think you have a reasonable objection here, you don't. The alternative is to always conclude that absolutely no miracles ever occur, or have ever occurred in the path. What evidence do you have for such a conclusion?

Now if you don't think that miracles rule out the possibility of leaving physical evidence then I suggest you read read John 20:25.

Nope, sorry, I'm not playing this game where you ignore the questions I asked you first and then demand I answer your subsequent questions. You claimed, "The scientific evidence leans heavily against [me]". I'm asking, how do you know what the scientific evidence is or isn't? Why should anyone take your unsubstantiated assertion about what the science is at all seriously?
I consider the things I listed to be science for the same reasons that you do. We all read what others observe and test and assume that they are correct unless we have reason to believe otherwise. Now, how about answering MY questions, or are you going to keep on dancing around?

It's very funny how you describe scientific knowledge as "beliefs". I have outlined in this thread very specific reasons why these young-earth flood geology arguments are not just wrong, but ridiculously wrong.
Well you can make that claim if you want, but I don't see anywhere in this thread where you have done such a thing. Talk is cheap. I would rather stick to things that can be clearly demonstrated with facts.

With that in mind, where in this thread did I claim that scientific knowledge as "beliefs"?

1. To avoid being accused of addressing a straw man, please identify for me which geologic strata are pre-flood, flood, and post-flood.

2. Can you please explain why the stratigraphic ordering of fossils is not consistent with a recent global flood? For example, why aren't elephants found alongside dinosaurs, pterosaurs with eagles, trilobites with crabs, ostriches with caudipteryx, Rodhocetus with dolphins, etc.?

3. Exactly what mechanism allows us to go from a single breeding pair for each "kind", to the number of species of each "kind" alive today within 4,000 years?

4. Given all the genomes that have been, and continue to be, sequenced, why do we never see any evidence of an extreme bottleneck/founder effect in all organisms that occurred at the same time?
Nope, sorry, I'm not playing this game where you ignore the questions I asked you first and then demand I answer your subsequent questions.

Now what i specifically asked you for was scientific evicence from:

1. Geology

2. Palentology

3. Biology, and

4. Genetics

.. that disprove a global flood.

Questions are NOT scientific evidence!

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're making my point for me. If I take two moles of hydrogen and one mole of oxygen and spark the mixture, do I get a random assortment of molecules and unbonded atoms? Why are chemists able to put specific reagents together and get specific products rather than random assortments of molecules and unbonded atoms?
My wife has me on honey-do's today so I don't have much time to respond at this time to everything we are discussing (though I plan to). I did want to address this point. I do not follow your logic. Are you arguing that something that is purely random must be supernatural? It seems to be what you are saying because you are arguing that chemical reactions follow certain chemical properties and laws. Well of course they do. All things follow the natural laws of the universe (except when God chooses to act super-naturally). So how does a primordial chemical soup forming life not a "random" chemical act. Amino acids and such must line up in an exact manner, protein strands, and so forth must all come together in an exact manner to even begin the process of forming a living organism. It would be a purely random event and the chemical properties do not naturally allow for such a process to happen. In fact, oxygen prohibits the early stages of such a formation. If it is so natural for chemicals to react and assemble in such a manner, why do we not see it and why cant scientists reproduce this event? Of course I am not in this field, but my very simple point is that scientists from both sides (creationists and evolutionists) claim that such a random event happening by chance and the right molecules coming together and assembling themselves in such a fashion is bordering on the miraculous. I suppose a crude illustration would be the lottery. Yes, natural law is behind all the Ping-Pong balls bouncing in the vacuum container and the air molecules pushing the balls in a particular fashion determines which balls come out the shoot at particular times. However, the process itself of which numbers pop out the end is random (although governed by the laws of gravity, physics, etc.). No one can predict the numbers which will pop out because of all the immense variables with the air, hp of the pump, number of balls, size of the container, so on and so forth. Thus...while governed by the laws of nature, the process is entirely random and impossible to predict. And, to make the point one more time, the chemical laws you cite make it impossible for the process to happen because of the presence of an oxygen rich atmosphere is prohibitive.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Arnie Manitoba said:
Dr David Berlinski said the same thing about evolutionary biologists like you ..... do the math .... and guess what ... your model does not work ....
You think so, eh? Can you explain his argument? It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me.

Arnie Manitoba said:
If 1000 biology students witnesses Jesus Christ dying , and those same 1000 biology students observed , saw , spoke to , and touched Jesus 4 days later when He was resurrected ..... would that be scientific proof of ressurection ?
Did they collect any data? :p

I am still waiting to hear the answer River Jordan .... in the meantime here is what "YOUR" science says .....

The exact origin of our planet's water, which covers about 70 percent of Earth's surface, is still a mystery to scientists. Many researchers think that, instead of water forming at the same time as Earth, objects in the outer solar system delivered water to Earth in violent collisions shortly after its formation.

During a period around 4 billion years ago called the Late Heavy Bombardment, massive objects, probably from the outer solar system, hit Earth and the inner planets. It's possible that these objects were filled with water, and that these collisions could have delivered gigantic reservoirs of water that filled Earth.

So River Jordan .... does it not sound like Genesis where it says God put water "in the vault of the sky" .... ????? .... and YOU laugh at us ??????
Do you think that's a common sense, literal reading of that scripture? Even 2,000 years ago, people would read that passage and immediately say "Oh, that's talking about ice contained in comets"? Or are you allowing science to inform your reading of scripture?

UppsalaDragby said:
So if you take a clunk of water and spit it out of your mouth then it ends up in your mouth again? Try to put some thought into this River. As I pointed out, the earth is not a cobblestone in a dish.
Where does that water you spit out go? Does it go up and stay up, or does it go down?

I don't need to pay any closer attention to the analogy than I originally did. I got it the first time. And even then I realized that the analogy stinks. Cobblestones do not have subteranean pressure that shifts and varies from place to place, they do not have the porosity of the earth, and neither does the center of gravity of a cobblestone in a dish resemble the center of gravity of the earth. Case closed. Figure out a better analogy.
It serves very well to illustrate the point. If there was enough water on the earth to flood it entirely, it would be flooded right now. The reason it's not flooded right now is because there's not enough water.

I believe I have seen that article before. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with what I asked you for. YECs, OECs, Christians and athiests change sides all the time, some of them for the weakest of reasons. And if you think the "silent guy" on the phone represents all YECs then you perhaps you should take the time to read all the rebuttals that Glenn Moron has received by other YEC's. I'm not going to list them here, but if you want I can do that. But perhaps we can get back to what I actually asked you for (and was part of the text you quoted) was this:

"where is your evidence that they are adhering to an old earth model rather than a young earth one, and that it has led them to find oil and gas that they would not have found using a young earth model."
I've provided supportive evidence of my claim. If you have evidence that oil companies actually use young-earth geology in their work, present it.

It's not a silly question. YOU were the one that made the claim that "The world around us also serves as God's revelation, and it simply does not show anything supportive of this young-earth flood geology".

Now since the age of the earth is open to interpretation, what you are trying to say here that those who believe in an old earth are correctly interpreting "God's revelation". All I am doing is calling you to task and demonstrate why you think this is so. Trying to dodge the question by referring to Hebrew scripture isn't helping you out here.
After I stated that the world around us does not support young-earth flood geology, you objected on the grounds that it requires interpretation. But by the same reasoning, does not scripture also require interpretation?

brrrr.. what's going on here? That is another comment that doesn't address the point I made or answer the question I asked.
So to be clear, you're not an advocate of significant changes to the earth's topology as part of the flood?

All I did was show you how the evidence we have does not conclusively show that the EoG predates the Hebrew story, which is exactly what I said. So why all the question marks? YOU made the CLAIM that "The Babylonian Epic of Gilgamesh pre-dates the Hebrew flood story."

I clearly demonstrated that you cannot make such an assertion.
Fine. The evidence indicates that the Epic of Gilgamesh pre-dates the Hebrew flood story. That much has been established.

Sure, I could, but have I? Please list them for me.

The only "miracles" I ever mention are the one's listed in the Bible. Nothing more, nothing less. And although you seem to think you have a reasonable objection here, you don't. The alternative is to always conclude that absolutely no miracles ever occur, or have ever occurred in the path. What evidence do you have for such a conclusion?

Now if you don't think that miracles rule out the possibility of leaving physical evidence then I suggest you read read John 20:25.
I've already listed the main one...there's not enough water to flood the entire earth.

I consider the things I listed to be science for the same reasons that you do. We all read what others observe and test and assume that they are correct unless we have reason to believe otherwise. Now, how about answering MY questions, or are you going to keep on dancing around?
Nope. You made a positive claim that "the science is against [me]". I'm asking how you know that to be so.

Well you can make that claim if you want, but I don't see anywhere in this thread where you have done such a thing. Talk is cheap. I would rather stick to things that can be clearly demonstrated with facts.

With that in mind, where in this thread did I claim that scientific knowledge as "beliefs"?
"I have also asked you on several occasions to explain why you think the beliefs of the scientific community are a better judge of what happened BEYOND what is testable, repeatable and observable than the biblical account."

Now what i specifically asked you for was scientific evicence from:

1. Geology

2. Palentology

3. Biology, and

4. Genetics

.. that disprove a global flood.

Questions are NOT scientific evidence!
I swear...creationists are so transparently ridiculous to talk to.

1. There are no clearly identified pre-flood, flood, and post-flood strata.

2. The stratigraphic ordering of fossils is not at all consistent with a recent, global flood.

3. In order to go from 2-7 individuals per "kind" to all the species that exist today in less than 4,000 years, there would have to be rapid, massive evolution or creation that strangely slowed back down once we started looking and recording our observations. There is no evidence of this.

4. With all the genomes that have been sequenced, there are no indications of an extreme, simultaneous bottleneck/founder effect.

Wormwood said:
My wife has me on honey-do's today so I don't have much time to respond at this time to everything we are discussing (though I plan to). I did want to address this point. I do not follow your logic. Are you arguing that something that is purely random must be supernatural? It seems to be what you are saying because you are arguing that chemical reactions follow certain chemical properties and laws. Well of course they do. All things follow the natural laws of the universe (except when God chooses to act super-naturally). So how does a primordial chemical soup forming life not a "random" chemical act. Amino acids and such must line up in an exact manner, protein strands, and so forth must all come together in an exact manner to even begin the process of forming a living organism. It would be a purely random event and the chemical properties do not naturally allow for such a process to happen. In fact, oxygen prohibits the early stages of such a formation. If it is so natural for chemicals to react and assemble in such a manner, why do we not see it and why cant scientists reproduce this event? Of course I am not in this field, but my very simple point is that scientists from both sides (creationists and evolutionists) claim that such a random event happening by chance and the right molecules coming together and assembling themselves in such a fashion is bordering on the miraculous. I suppose a crude illustration would be the lottery. Yes, natural law is behind all the Ping-Pong balls bouncing in the vacuum container and the air molecules pushing the balls in a particular fashion determines which balls come out the shoot at particular times. However, the process itself of which numbers pop out the end is random (although governed by the laws of gravity, physics, etc.). No one can predict the numbers which will pop out because of all the immense variables with the air, hp of the pump, number of balls, size of the container, so on and so forth. Thus...while governed by the laws of nature, the process is entirely random and impossible to predict. And, to make the point one more time, the chemical laws you cite make it impossible for the process to happen because of the presence of an oxygen rich atmosphere is prohibitive.
It's very simple. Creationists are telling you that "it's mathematically impossible" and basing their calculations AS on random, purely chance behavior of atoms and molecules. But that's not how atoms and molecules behave at all. They are deliberately misrepresenting the science.

As far as your other questions about origins research, I suggest if you're truly interested you go to an actual science resource and read up on it rather than rely on creationists to tell you what they're doing. As we've seen, creationists aren't going to honestly represent the research. But in an nutshell, the most promising hypothesis right now is that RNA came first, was encapsulated in a lipid membrane, began to self-replicate, and eventually transitioned to DNA. The amino acids-to-proteins all on their own scenario isn't really a major part of exobiology.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The RNA polymer experiments do not work because the researchers have been careful to exclude chemical interference that allow the RNA molecules to grow or to prevent them from breaking down. They are stopped before the RNA strands become too long, because if they become too long, they become irreversibly self-absorbed on the clay surface. The clays have to be processed and treated in a lab to prepare them as catalysts and are chemically activated to allow for reactions.

Paul Davies states,

"As far as biochemists can see, it is a long and difficult road to produce efficient RNA replicators from scratch...the conclusion has been without a trained RNA chemist on hand to supervise, nature would be struggling to make RNA from a dilute soup under any plausible prebiotic conditions."

Simon Conway Morris states,

"Many of the experiments designed to explain one or another step in the origin of life are either of tenuous relevance to any believable prebiotic setting, or involve an experimental rig in which the hand of the researcher becomes for all intents and purposes the hand of God."

This is what I mean when I say, "pure chance." There are necessary environmental requirements for certain reactions, necessary properties required for certain reactions to stop at exact times and so on and so forth. Synthetic biology has shown that it takes sophisticated and elaborate strategies with not only the exact chemical settings but complex instrumentation to carry out these procedures for the production of protocells.

According to your arguments, it is simply natural for such conditions and chemical reactions are prone to bring about complex building blocks for life in their natural state. This is absurd. You are either deliberately misrepresenting the information or do not have any real understanding of the arguments of creationists or the work of biologists in this area. All of the replicator first, membrane first or metabolism first models have shown to have insurmountable obstacles for such natural processes to take place under any conceivable natural conditions.

I encourage you to read the work of Dr. Fuz Rana in this area.

UppsalaDragby

Feb 6, 2012
River Jordan said:
Where does that water you spit out go? Does it go up and stay up, or does it go down?
What's your point?

It serves very well to illustrate the point. If there was enough water on the earth to flood it entirely, it would be flooded right now. The reason it's not flooded right now is because there's not enough water.
Sure... assuming the topography of the earth never changes, but we know that it does.

I've provided supportive evidence of my claim. If you have evidence that oil companies actually use young-earth geology in their work, present it.
Here my question to you for the third time:

Where is your evidence that they are adhering to an old earth model rather than a young earth one, and that it has led them to find oil and gas that they would not have found using a young earth model?

So to be clear, you're not an advocate of significant changes to the earth's topology as part of the flood?
Yes I am, I just don't think we have the means to map to any great precision all the climate changes and physics involved simply by looking at models for what might have happened in an unobservable past. We can't even do that correctly TODAY.

Fine. The evidence indicates that the Epic of Gilgamesh pre-dates the Hebrew flood story. That much has been established.
No it hasn't.

At best it indicates that the recording of the EoG predates the recording of the Hebrew flood story, which really doesn't matter unless you can prove your claims. Why does that fact lead you to draw the conclusion that Moses, for some reason, "copied" and "put a spin" on a poem from Mesopotamia. Why is the ONLY thing "copied" a global event. Why not copy other things? Why would Moses, or any of God's chosen people, who considered the scripures to be extremely sacred and were called out by God to be separate from the surrounding nations, just decide to throw in a chunk from some summerian text?

The only people who use this incredibly weak argument are those who are intentionally trying to discredit the Bible.

I've already listed the main one...there's not enough water to flood the entire earth.
Since you haven't been able to establish the fact that the preflood topography is the same as it is today, your "main one" failed.

Nope. You made a positive claim that "the science is against [me]". I'm asking how you know that to be so.
I gave you the answer to that. I made a list, you ignored my list. But again, if you think that the things I listed are not supported by science then please try to make a case. But I expect you prefer to be evasive..

"I have also asked you on several occasions to explain why you think the beliefs of the scientific community are a better judge of what happened BEYOND what is testable, repeatable and observable than the biblical account."
Que???

I swear...creationists are so transparently ridiculous to talk to.
Why do you say that?

1. There are no clearly identified pre-flood, flood, and post-flood strata.
Assuming there was a pre-flood strata what would it look like?

Assuming there was a post-flood strata what would it look like?

2. The stratigraphic ordering of fossils is not at all consistent with a recent, global flood.
You are talking like someone who has just had a look at an illustration of the geologic column in a text book and thinks that is exactly what it looks like. Not only are you repeatedly appealing to evolutionary assumptions in order for you to "disprove" a flood, you are also throwing stones in a glass house. Using your standard of "evidence" scientists would have disproved evolution a long time ago. Why do we have living fossils that disapper from the fossil record without any trace in several layers? You mentioned crabs and trilobytes. Why does the Atlantic horseshoe crab itself have no fossil record at all? Why are there fully-developed hard-shelled fossilized creature that lack predecessors in the fossil record? Why do have such a thing as the Cabrian explosion? Why are we finding soft tissue in dinosaurs?

3. In order to go from 2-7 individuals per "kind" to all the species that exist today in less than 4,000 years, there would have to be rapid, massive evolution or creation that strangely slowed back down once we started looking and recording our observations. There is no evidence of this.
Again, you cannot simply assume evolution to be true in order to discount a flood. If the number of species that exist today was not produced by evolution then your entire argument fails. What you call evolution, I call variety.

4. With all the genomes that have been sequenced, there are no indications of an extreme, simultaneous bottleneck/founder effect.
Well, if genome sequencing is an exact science where nothing is assumed, and nothing has been missed, then maybe you would have a point.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IOW, there are far too many intellectual hoops one has to jump through to adopt the literalist reading. For example, if the event were purely supernatural, did God then go out of His way to cover it up and manipulate the evidence to make it look like it never happened? Specifically, did God reduce all animals to an extreme bottleneck, but then hide the evidence that should be in the genomes of their descendants? Or did God speed up evolution or creation to repopulate the earth with all the different species from each "kind", but then slow it back down as soon as we really started studying biology?

Contrast that with the resurrection. What sort of physical evidence do we expect of that event? IMO, nothing. Thus, you are trying to compare apples and oranges here.
RJ, it is impossible to have a conversation with you. You are so determined to catergorize everyone with a YEC view that even when they tell you otherwise, you continue to debate with them based on your faulty assumptions. I cannot continually correct your faulty assumptions and continue this discussion where you make your points based on those assumptions I have already rejected. Who said anything about speeding up evolution? Did I say this all happened in 4,000 years? No, I said that is not the position I am taking. It seems to me that you are guilty of the same things that you despise about the YEC. You seem to be quite ignorant of the wide range of Christian views on this topic and are determined to make every person who believes in a universal flood a geocentric, YEC, fundamentalist who only reads the KJV. I don't have the time or energy to continually correct you in this regard.

See above. A purely supernatural flood requires God to cover it up. A purely supernatural resurrection doesn't. Not only that, but the entire point of the resurrection is that it is supernatural!
Again, you are approaching this like you are dealing with a YEC who is trying to use the flood as an aging agent for the world. Sigh.

You're making my point for me. If I take two moles of hydrogen and one mole of oxygen and spark the mixture, do I get a random assortment of molecules and unbonded atoms? Why are chemists able to put specific reagents together and get specific products rather than random assortments of molecules and unbonded atoms?
Yes, and those same chemists cannot reproduce this life origins event that you indicate is so plausible. Their best efforts include incredible manipulations of environments, bonding agents, stopping reactions and complex instrumentation. Where are you taking your classes again?

I disagree. A close look at the text shows that it looks very much like two separate stories mashed together.
Well, as much work as you have done in biology or whatever field you are in, I assure you I have done at least as much and probably many times more the work in Biblical literature. And it looks to me like you are in error. But I wont let my education prevent you from having your opinion. I'll just say my study in the area tells me you are wrong.

??????????? I've specifically described for you many of the factors that inform my reading of this story....the text itself, older texts from Babylon, the world around me. What else do you want?
Yes, your reading of the Scriptures are determined by the data around you. Clearly the Scriptures "which cannot be broken" are not your authority. Jesus' primary foundation for truth was the Scriptures. He answered critics and arguments with the words, "It is written..." Yet, you seem to indicate that what is written in the Bible may or may not have any actual correspondence to truth or reality. This is not how the Scriptures portray themselves no how Jesus viewed the Scriptures. I do not accept the notion that the God of truth would use myth and falsehood to communicate to his people. There is nothing in the Genesis account to suggest it is being portrayed as a myth, and no indication that Jesus or the Apostles viewed it this way either. Your own rationality is your authority, not the words of God. Since that has been established, I don't really see any point in discussing the text with you further since you see no real value or truth in it.

Im surprised you do not believe the story of Jesus was borrowed by the Egyptians as some claim. There is a difference from one who errantly tries to determine scientific facts from the Biblical literature such as pointing to the poetry of the Psalms to argue for geocentrism or counting the genealogies as an exact measuring method for the age of the earth. I think both approaches are imposing a Western scientific mindset on texts that are not attempting to provide exact dates or cosmological arguments. However, this is quite different from saying the stories are simply made up and have no correspondence to any actual events. Jesus referred to the flood as an actual historical event. So if you say the event was made up by the Hebrews who had taken the story from the Egyptians, then we have to start questioning the understanding of Jesus and other NT writers as well who spoke of Noah and the flood.

It seems evident that we have no common ground here for a meaningful discussion RJ.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Wormwood said:
The RNA polymer experiments do not work because the researchers have been careful to exclude chemical interference that allow the RNA molecules to grow or to prevent them from breaking down. They are stopped before the RNA strands become too long, because if they become too long, they become irreversibly self-absorbed on the clay surface. The clays have to be processed and treated in a lab to prepare them as catalysts and are chemically activated to allow for reactions.

Paul Davies states,

"As far as biochemists can see, it is a long and difficult road to produce efficient RNA replicators from scratch...the conclusion has been without a trained RNA chemist on hand to supervise, nature would be struggling to make RNA from a dilute soup under any plausible prebiotic conditions."
That quote is over 14 years old. There's been advances since then.

Many of the experiments designed to explain one or another step in the origin of life are either of tenuous relevance to any believable prebiotic setting, or involve an experimental rig in which the hand of the researcher becomes for all intents and purposes the hand of God."
S.C. Morris is a paleontologist. So I'm not really sure his musings on organic chemistry and exobiology carry a lot of weight.

This is what I mean when I say, "pure chance." There are necessary environmental requirements for certain reactions, necessary properties required for certain reactions to stop at exact times and so on and so forth. Synthetic biology has shown that it takes sophisticated and elaborate strategies with not only the exact chemical settings but complex instrumentation to carry out these procedures for the production of protocells.

According to your arguments, it is simply natural for such conditions and chemical reactions are prone to bring about complex building blocks for life in their natural state. This is absurd. You are either deliberately misrepresenting the information or do not have any real understanding of the arguments of creationists or the work of biologists in this area. All of the replicator first, membrane first or metabolism first models have shown to have insurmountable obstacles for such natural processes to take place under any conceivable natural conditions.
But that's not what the creationists you were citing mean by "pure chance" or "random processes". Their calculations were entirely based on the notion that molecules come together randomly.

I encourage you to read the work of Dr. Fuz Rana in this area.
I'm familiar with his articles at RtB. Mostly what I see is someone sitting on the sidelines throwing rocks at the scientist who are actually doing the work.

Wormwood said:
RJ, it is impossible to have a conversation with you. You are so determined to catergorize everyone with a YEC view that even when they tell you otherwise, you continue to debate with them based on your faulty assumptions. I cannot continually correct your faulty assumptions and continue this discussion where you make your points based on those assumptions I have already rejected. Who said anything about speeding up evolution? Did I say this all happened in 4,000 years? No, I said that is not the position I am taking. It seems to me that you are guilty of the same things that you despise about the YEC. You seem to be quite ignorant of the wide range of Christian views on this topic and are determined to make every person who believes in a universal flood a geocentric, YEC, fundamentalist who only reads the KJV. I don't have the time or energy to continually correct you in this regard.
Ok, so let's clear this up. What exactly is your view on the flood described in Genesis. Specifically, do you believe it was a worldwide flood that covered the earth for a year? Do you believe it happened relatively recently (i.e., within the last 10,000 years)? Do you believe it occurred via natural processes and can be scientifically supported? Or do you believe it was supernatural and is therefore beyond the reach of science?

Yes, and those same chemists cannot reproduce this life origins event that you indicate is so plausible. Their best efforts include incredible manipulations of environments, bonding agents, stopping reactions and complex instrumentation. Where are you taking your classes again?
No need to get snarky. I've never said that origins researchers have a scenario that is "so plausible". What they have are a handful of hypotheses, some more experimentally supported and promising than others. And of course they have to control the conditions of their experiments...that's what lab experimentation is about. Otherwise their only method would be to throw a bunch of reagents in a vat and wait 50,000 years. :rolleyes:

Usually I take these objections from creationists as a defensive mechanism. You're preparing yourself for the day when scientists announce they've found a chemical pathway from non-life to life. You'll just wave your arms and declare "Yeah, but they controlled and manipulated the events, so it doesn't count".

Yes, your reading of the Scriptures are determined by the data around you.
So are yours...so are everyone's.

Clearly the Scriptures "which cannot be broken" are not your authority. Jesus' primary foundation for truth was the Scriptures. He answered critics and arguments with the words, "It is written..." Yet, you seem to indicate that what is written in the Bible may or may not have any actual correspondence to truth or reality.
So do you. Unless you believe that one day all the stars will fall to the earth, there is a mountain from which all the earth can be seen simultaneously, the cure for leprosy is the blood of birds, it really is an abomination to God to wear a cotton-polyester blend shirt, killing infants is perfectly fine if God tells you to do it, etc.

I do not accept the notion that the God of truth would use myth and falsehood to communicate to his people.
So all of Jesus' parables were about actual people and real events?

There is nothing in the Genesis account to suggest it is being portrayed as a myth, and no indication that Jesus or the Apostles viewed it this way either. Your own rationality is your authority, not the words of God. Since that has been established, I don't really see any point in discussing the text with you further since you see no real value or truth in it.
Now you sound exactly like a fundamentalist. "The Bible says it, I believe it, and that settles it". That's fine for you, but not everyone shares that mindset.

Im surprised you do not believe the story of Jesus was borrowed by the Egyptians as some claim. There is a difference from one who errantly tries to determine scientific facts from the Biblical literature such as pointing to the poetry of the Psalms to argue for geocentrism or counting the genealogies as an exact measuring method for the age of the earth. I think both approaches are imposing a Western scientific mindset on texts that are not attempting to provide exact dates or cosmological arguments. However, this is quite different from saying the stories are simply made up and have no correspondence to any actual events. Jesus referred to the flood as an actual historical event. So if you say the event was made up by the Hebrews who had taken the story from the Egyptians, then we have to start questioning the understanding of Jesus and other NT writers as well who spoke of Noah and the flood.
I never said there was no flood. I'm sure there was, and to the people who survived it must have indeed seemed like the whole world was flooded. But of course we know for a fact that the people alive at that time had no concept of what "the whole world" was.

It seems evident that we have no common ground here for a meaningful discussion RJ.
Perhaps, but one thing I wonder...is it your belief that the Hebrews were 100% immune from being influenced in any way at all by the cultures around them?

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course you think hes just throwing rocks at scientists doing the work. He disagrees with you. However, his bio shows that he has a PhD and has extensive work in biochemistry.

He completed a PhD in chemistry with an emphasis in biochemistry at Ohio University, where he twice won the Donald Clippinger Research Award. Postdoctoral studies took him to the Universities of Virginia and Georgia. Fuz then worked seven years as a senior scientist in product development for Procter & Gamble.
I think there is a difference between throwing rocks at scientists doing the work and, as a scientist, examining the work of other scientists and rejecting certain hypotheses about origins of life based on recent findings in biochemistry. You make it sound as if work on protocells is being done to prove the spontaneous generation of life. This is not true. There are medical reasons for the work. Evolutionists are trying to take the results of this research as evidence for their theory of spontaneous generation of life whereas creationists see the same research and point out that it does not support such claims. You are grossly misrepresenting things to the point that it looks deceptive.

As far as my beliefs:

I believe there was a worldwide flood as the Scriptures clearly teach and they are not presented as myth or moral lessons alone.

“if he did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a herald of righteousness, with seven others, when he brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly;” (2 Peter 2:5, ESV)

I believe the ancient genealogies were meant to tie people to significant figures throughout history and were not intended to be all encompassing. Also, I believe that there are many different plausible explanations for an older earth while maintaining belief in the genesis account. Some propose gap theories or different takes on the meaning of Yom (day) in the Genesis account. I don't know that I have reached a final conclusion in this area as each has different strengths and weaknesses. This has not been the focus of my study. I am open to some of these accounts so long as they do not assert the death of human beings prior to the fall or do violence to the intent of the text as a historically accurate record within the scope of its literary purpose.

Thus, I am open to the concept of a very old earth, but not the idea that all species evolved from a single-celled organism over billions of years. I do not think such a process is defendable biblically that suggests God created all creatures according to their kind or that death brought man into the world, rather than the other way around. I think Romans 5 would have to be viewed as a horrible error if such an Darwinian evolutionary view is held.

I believe there was a worldwide flood. I believe that this flood can and does account for some of the geological phenomenon in the world we see today. However, I do not necessary see it as the primary explanation for the apparent age of the earth or as the explanation for everything. My faith does not rest on canopy theories, polar ice caps or dating methods. I do not discount the fact that there are supernatural elements to the flood story. I don't think these elements involve the "cover up" of anything as I don't know that it is necessary to date this flood strictly to 4,000 years ago. It may have been much longer than that. The Bible does not seem interested in dating such periods or events, but it does seem intent on declaring they happened.

In sum, my commitment is to the historical accuracy of the scriptures, understanding that they are an ancient literature and not based in western scientific epistemologies. Clearly, the Genesis accounts were primarily meant to help Israel develop their lives and social structure around the working of God (resting on the 7th day, etc.). However, such literature is meaningless if the stories themselves do not correspond to actual historical events. Therefore, I am flexible in my understanding of modern theories of how things might have transpired in the past to explain what we see today...these are always changing. I am not flexible in my understanding that the Bible is accurate and that it should be accepted according to the intent of the inspired author. There is nothing I can see in the Biblical accounts of the flood that suggest the event did not happen at all or that it was simply a localized event.

Allow me to sum up my position with regards to geocentrism. The fault of geocentrists was that they were taking poetic descriptions of the cosmos as efforts to explain the universe scientifically. Moreover, other such descriptions of the cosmos were more likely depictions of various temples as ancient temples were built as depictions creation. Their religion was built around a depiction of the created world...and so these descriptions were often more religious than scientific (see GK Beale's The Erosion of Inerrancy in Evangelicalism). So it is one thing to read a Psalm that speaks of the "foundation of the earth" and understand that this is a poetic way of talking about the permanent nature of the created order God has established and another thing to say that entire events depicted in the Bible are not only false but that they were taken from other religions as a means of developing their own religious stories of Yahweh off the backs of the Babylonian Gilgamesh Epic. There is no doubt that the literature of Genesis is antithetical to the religions of the Cannaanites and so forth in its language and depiction, and may have been written in a particular fashion as an apology against such foreign stories, but this does not mean the events were fabricated or the stories were borrowed. In the same way, Mark borrows phrases that were used of Caesar and attached them to Jesus. This does not mean that Jesus never existed, but that the literature was put together in such a way to turn people's trust from Caesar to Christ. So, we have to allow for literary devices to be sure, but if the literature is not based on reality, then we might as well just put it aside altogether.

So do you. Unless you believe that one day all the stars will fall to the earth, there is a mountain from which all the earth can be seen simultaneously, the cure for leprosy is the blood of birds, it really is an abomination to God to wear a cotton-polyester blend shirt, killing infants is perfectly fine if God tells you to do it, etc.
This has nothing to do with our discussion. Again, this is a failure on your part to understand literary devices as well as the covenant God made with Israel and the historical setting of the ancient world behind the wars and commands of God to Israel. I do believe God gave commands to kill. Again, I think you are allowing modern sensitivities to determine what you will accept in an ancient text that depicts the scenarios of an ancient world very different from our own.

So all of Jesus' parables were about actual people and real events?
RJ, this is what I mean by you needing to define your hermeneutics. I read the Bible much like I read a newspaper. If I read a breaking news story, I read it as a literal, historical event. If I read a comic, I read it as a funny pretend story that makes a point or creates humor. The Bible is no different. There are different genres. When Jesus tells a parable (para-bole - literally "to throw alongside") it is a story with the purpose of making a point alongside of the current discussion taking place. If I read a Proverb, it is understood that this is general wisdom from God of how life generally operates. Because the Proverb says, "Train a child in the way they should go, and when he is old, he will not soon depart from it." does it mean that no child will ever turn away from their parents teaching? No...but generally speaking, if you train a child correctly, they will hold to those principles which will benefit their lives. The same is true with other warnings about drunkenness and so forth. The literature is not about declaring that every statement is always true for every person in every situation. It is saying that if you hold to these principles, they will bless and benefit your life because this is what God blesses and what God desires. So, a parable told by Jesus and a command given by Paul are two different genres and need to be read as they are presented. So, if you are going to claim the Genesis flood is simply a parable or a pretend story to make a point, you need to explain how the literature gives us this indication that the story is not intended to be historical but merely parabolic, a metaphor or whatever. I do not see anyway to understand this narrative in the Scripture as anything but a historical account of an actual event.

Now you sound exactly like a fundamentalist. "The Bible says it, I believe it, and that settles it". That's fine for you, but not everyone shares that mindset.
I do believe the Bible. I believe that while it must be understood and interpreted according to the varying types of literature it is presented in, it is God's revelation to humanity, it is true and it is to be believed and obeyed. I believe it even makes such claims about itself:

“And we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts, knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation. For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.” (2 Peter 1:19–21, ESV)

Its either true or not. I am a Christian. I believe the Bible is God's Word. If that makes me an ignorant, Bible-thumping, fundamentalist in your mind, so be it.

Perhaps, but one thing I wonder...is it your belief that the Hebrews were 100% immune from being influenced in any way at all by the cultures around them?
No. I believe those influences are evident in the Scripture. But the Scripture is the product of the Spirit. While the Spirit communicated in cultural contexts that certainly have various influences and situations being addressed, the fundamental principles and narratives in the Bible are true and revelations from God...not just random jottings from common, everyday, culturally-bound Hebrews.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
UppsalaDragby said:
What's your point?

Sure... assuming the topography of the earth never changes, but we know that it does.

Yes I am, I just don't think we have the means to map to any great precision all the climate changes and physics involved simply by looking at models for what might have happened in an unobservable past. We can't even do that correctly TODAY.

Since you haven't been able to establish the fact that the preflood topography is the same as it is today, your "main one" failed.
So we've established fairly conclusively that you believe the topology of the earth changed during/soon after the flood. So let's get specific. Were the Himalayas in existence prior to the flood? If so, to what degree?

Here my question to you for the third time:

Where is your evidence that they are adhering to an old earth model rather than a young earth one, and that it has led them to find oil and gas that they would not have found using a young earth model?
Fallacy of shifting the burden of proof. I claimed that oil companies use an old-earth geology in their work, and I provided evidence supporting that claim (if you'd like more I can provide it). If your counter is "they could have done the same work using young-earth creationism", then the burden is on you to support that claim.

No it hasn't.

At best it indicates that the recording of the EoG predates the recording of the Hebrew flood story, which really doesn't matter unless you can prove your claims. Why does that fact lead you to draw the conclusion that Moses, for some reason, "copied" and "put a spin" on a poem from Mesopotamia. Why is the ONLY thing "copied" a global event. Why not copy other things? Why would Moses, or any of God's chosen people, who considered the scripures to be extremely sacred and were called out by God to be separate from the surrounding nations, just decide to throw in a chunk from some summerian text?

The only people who use this incredibly weak argument are those who are intentionally trying to discredit the Bible.
This (and some of your later stuff I'll get to) is what I meant when I talked about how ridiculous it is to talk to creationists. If you honestly think the above is a valid, objective rebuttal, I'll just let that speak for itself.

I gave you the answer to that. I made a list, you ignored my list. But again, if you think that the things I listed are not supported by science then please try to make a case. But I expect you prefer to be evasive..
?????????? You gave me a list of how you know what the science is or isn't, such that you are able to declare "the science is against [me]"? What post was that?

Assuming there was a pre-flood strata what would it look like?

Assuming there was a post-flood strata what would it look like?
I'm not advocating your flood idea. If you're advocating it and claiming it is supported by the science, then you need to answer those questions.

You are talking like someone who has just had a look at an illustration of the geologic column in a text book and thinks that is exactly what it looks like. Not only are you repeatedly appealing to evolutionary assumptions in order for you to "disprove" a flood, you are also throwing stones in a glass house. Using your standard of "evidence" scientists would have disproved evolution a long time ago. Why do we have living fossils that disapper from the fossil record without any trace in several layers? You mentioned crabs and trilobytes. Why does the Atlantic horseshoe crab itself have no fossil record at all? Why are there fully-developed hard-shelled fossilized creature that lack predecessors in the fossil record? Why do have such a thing as the Cabrian explosion? Why are we finding soft tissue in dinosaurs?
Again, you're being ridiculous. All you're doing is hand-waving and trying to distract from the issue I raised. The fact remains, biostratigraphy does not support the global flood belief. If you think it does, then demonstrate it to be so.

Again, you cannot simply assume evolution to be true in order to discount a flood. If the number of species that exist today was not produced by evolution then your entire argument fails. What you call evolution, I call variety.
Absolutely, positively, ridiculous. I am literally laughing out loud at this. So if you believe we went from 2-7 individuals representing each "kind" 4,000 years ago, to all the species alive today, by what mechanism were all these new species generated?

Well, if genome sequencing is an exact science where nothing is assumed, and nothing has been missed, then maybe you would have a point.
And this is the cherry on the sundae of your ridiculousness. We've sequenced genomes from all sorts of organisms from diverse taxa, and we never, ever, ever see anything indicating an extreme, simultaneous bottleneck. And your response? "Meh...it's not an exact science".

I'll let that speak for itself and serve to illustrate my point about how ridiculous it is to discuss things with creationists. No matter how clearly the data is against you, you just make up excuses to wave it away.

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
After the flood species experienced what can best be described as "punctuated equilibrium."

Generally they remained in a state of stasis on the ark, and then by some totally unknown process quickly morphed into the biologically diverse world we see today.
Wormwood,

Good point about the Jesus as a borrowed character myths. River would never admit it, but it's the same argument by many of the same people. The flood was borrowed from Babylon, Jesus was borrowed from Egypt. Her arguments must come from YouTube.

I have accused her of being an atheist. Although I still think that I am correct, I will give her the benefit of the doubt and make a very serious and sober statement. If she is not an atheist now and if she really holds all the positions she argues here, within 5 years she will indeed be an atheist.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Wormwood said:
Of course you think hes just throwing rocks at scientists doing the work. He disagrees with you. However, his bio shows that he has a PhD and has extensive work in biochemistry.
Nobody said he isn't doing work in biochemistry. My point is, if he has specific, scientific criticisms of the work conducted by origins researchers, why is he going to the media and creationist websites with those criticisms, rather than getting the published in the relevant scientific journals? Shoot, I can go find a sympathetic website, blog, or whatever and say "I'm a biologist and I think their work is junk". Is that supposed to have any impact at all? Of course not...that would just be rock-throwing from the sidelines. If I, or Dr. Fuz, expect to do anything more than throw rocks from the sidelines, we have to get in the game, and in science you do that by writing up your arguments and sending them in to the journals.

You make it sound as if work on protocells is being done to prove the spontaneous generation of life. This is not true. There are medical reasons for the work.
??????????????? Do I need to pull up all the origins research on protocells?

Evolutionists are trying to take the results of this research as evidence for their theory of spontaneous generation of life whereas creationists see the same research and point out that it does not support such claims. You are grossly misrepresenting things to the point that it looks deceptive.
To be blunt, who cares what creationists think about origins research? Geocentrists argue that NASA's work doesn't support their claims of heliocentricity. Does anyone care? I mean, of course creationists are going to say "That doesn't support your claims". They're always going to say that, no matter what.

As far as my beliefs:

I believe there was a worldwide flood as the Scriptures clearly teach and they are not presented as myth or moral lessons alone.

“if he did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a herald of righteousness, with seven others, when he brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly;” (2 Peter 2:5, ESV)

I believe the ancient genealogies were meant to tie people to significant figures throughout history and were not intended to be all encompassing. Also, I believe that there are many different plausible explanations for an older earth while maintaining belief in the genesis account. Some propose gap theories or different takes on the meaning of Yom (day) in the Genesis account. I don't know that I have reached a final conclusion in this area as each has different strengths and weaknesses. This has not been the focus of my study. I am open to some of these accounts so long as they do not assert the death of human beings prior to the fall or do violence to the intent of the text as a historically accurate record within the scope of its literary purpose.

Thus, I am open to the concept of a very old earth, but not the idea that all species evolved from a single-celled organism over billions of years. I do not think such a process is defendable biblically that suggests God created all creatures according to their kind or that death brought man into the world, rather than the other way around. I think Romans 5 would have to be viewed as a horrible error if such an Darwinian evolutionary view is held.

I believe there was a worldwide flood. I believe that this flood can and does account for some of the geological phenomenon in the world we see today. However, I do not necessary see it as the primary explanation for the apparent age of the earth or as the explanation for everything. My faith does not rest on canopy theories, polar ice caps or dating methods. I do not discount the fact that there are supernatural elements to the flood story. I don't think these elements involve the "cover up" of anything as I don't know that it is necessary to date this flood strictly to 4,000 years ago. It may have been much longer than that. The Bible does not seem interested in dating such periods or events, but it does seem intent on declaring they happened.

In sum, my commitment is to the historical accuracy of the scriptures, understanding that they are an ancient literature and not based in western scientific epistemologies. Clearly, the Genesis accounts were primarily meant to help Israel develop their lives and social structure around the working of God (resting on the 7th day, etc.). However, such literature is meaningless if the stories themselves do not correspond to actual historical events. Therefore, I am flexible in my understanding of modern theories of how things might have transpired in the past to explain what we see today...these are always changing. I am not flexible in my understanding that the Bible is accurate and that it should be accepted according to the intent of the inspired author. There is nothing I can see in the Biblical accounts of the flood that suggest the event did not happen at all or that it was simply a localized event.

Allow me to sum up my position with regards to geocentrism. The fault of geocentrists was that they were taking poetic descriptions of the cosmos as efforts to explain the universe scientifically. Moreover, other such descriptions of the cosmos were more likely depictions of various temples as ancient temples were built as depictions creation. Their religion was built around a depiction of the created world...and so these descriptions were often more religious than scientific (see GK Beale's The Erosion of Inerrancy in Evangelicalism). So it is one thing to read a Psalm that speaks of the "foundation of the earth" and understand that this is a poetic way of talking about the permanent nature of the created order God has established and another thing to say that entire events depicted in the Bible are not only false but that they were taken from other religions as a means of developing their own religious stories of Yahweh off the backs of the Babylonian Gilgamesh Epic. There is no doubt that the literature of Genesis is antithetical to the religions of the Cannaanites and so forth in its language and depiction, and may have been written in a particular fashion as an apology against such foreign stories, but this does not mean the events were fabricated or the stories were borrowed. In the same way, Mark borrows phrases that were used of Caesar and attached them to Jesus. This does not mean that Jesus never existed, but that the literature was put together in such a way to turn people's trust from Caesar to Christ. So, we have to allow for literary devices to be sure, but if the literature is not based on reality, then we might as well just put it aside altogether.
The only thing I'm not clear on is if you think the flood happened within the last 10,000 years.

This has nothing to do with our discussion. Again, this is a failure on your part to understand literary devices as well as the covenant God made with Israel and the historical setting of the ancient world behind the wars and commands of God to Israel. I do believe God gave commands to kill. Again, I think you are allowing modern sensitivities to determine what you will accept in an ancient text that depicts the scenarios of an ancient world very different from our own.
It has everything to do with the discussion. If your position is that absent a clear indication of parable or poetic metaphor we must take the passage as is, with no consideration of any extra-scriptural information at all, then we have to believe things like seeing the entire earth from a mountaintop, bird blood curing leprosy, cotton-poly blends being an abomination, and stars falling to the surface of the earth. You can't have it both ways.

RJ, this is what I mean by you needing to define your hermeneutics. I read the Bible much like I read a newspaper. If I read a breaking news story, I read it as a literal, historical event. If I read a comic, I read it as a funny pretend story that makes a point or creates humor. The Bible is no different. There are different genres. When Jesus tells a parable (para-bole - literally "to throw alongside") it is a story with the purpose of making a point alongside of the current discussion taking place. If I read a Proverb, it is understood that this is general wisdom from God of how life generally operates. Because the Proverb says, "Train a child in the way they should go, and when he is old, he will not soon depart from it." does it mean that no child will ever turn away from their parents teaching? No...but generally speaking, if you train a child correctly, they will hold to those principles which will benefit their lives. The same is true with other warnings about drunkenness and so forth. The literature is not about declaring that every statement is always true for every person in every situation. It is saying that if you hold to these principles, they will bless and benefit your life because this is what God blesses and what God desires. So, a parable told by Jesus and a command given by Paul are two different genres and need to be read as they are presented. So, if you are going to claim the Genesis flood is simply a parable or a pretend story to make a point, you need to explain how the literature gives us this indication that the story is not intended to be historical but merely parabolic, a metaphor or whatever. I do not see anyway to understand this narrative in the Scripture as anything but a historical account of an actual event.
You're missing the point. You very clearly stated that God would not use myth as a means to communicate. Yet the parables of Jesus were not depictions of actual events, i.e., they are myths.

No. I believe those influences are evident in the Scripture. But the Scripture is the product of the Spirit. While the Spirit communicated in cultural contexts that certainly have various influences and situations being addressed, the fundamental principles and narratives in the Bible are true and revelations from God...not just random jottings from common, everyday, culturally-bound Hebrews.
This again shows a very fundamentalist way of thinking. Only two extreme possibilities...either it is a completely true word of God, or it is just "random jottings"...very black/white, absolutist thinking, which is typical of fundamentalism.

Again, not everyone shares that mindset.

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
God's word can only be true according to the parameters set by River and her conglomerate of godless individuals.

There is no truth to scripture apart from what she says.

River shall make the rules of how scripture is interpreted and if you dissent you will be called (insert insulting name here).

And yet.............we are the extremists???

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
ChristianJuggarnaut said:
I have accused her of being an atheist. Although I still think that I am correct, I will give her the benefit of the doubt and make a very serious and sober statement. If she is not an atheist now and if she really holds all the positions she argues here, within 5 years she will indeed be an atheist.
And that's the fear that drives fundamentalism's strict, simplistic, black/white rules. If even one tiny step is taken away from those rules and towards objectivity or critical thought, atheism is the sure destination. No, it is far safer to stay the course no matter what.

God's word can only be true according to the parameters set by River and her conglomerate of godless individuals.
There is no truth to scripture apart from what she says.
River shall make the rules of how scripture is interpreted and if you dissent you will be called (insert insulting name here).
Hilarious. Coming from a member of the group that continually questions the faith and personally attacks anyone who deviates from the fundamentalist script, plus the fact that I've not once questioned the faith of a single person here....I think my irony meter just broke.

Irony-Meter-Explode.jpg

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Who would of thought a little H-2/0 would have caused all this...........I'm never drinkin the stuff ever again.

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
Science has taught me to question everything.

Don't take it personally but the empirical data suggests you have belief issues.

I am simply peer reviewing your faith.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Of course you are...that's your role in this world, isn't it? To review everyone else's faith and determine who is and isn't a True ChristianTM. :rolleyes:

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
If you do not wish to have your positions peer reviewed, do not publish them.

Make obscure speeches in the Pacific Northwest amongst the birds of a feather, share a church-brewed cold one and retire for the night.

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
Hypocrite

That's a new one for you.

I would like to see a little more creativity from someone with your potential.

Needs to work harder.

C-

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
Secondhand Lion said:
I must admit, I am very disgruntled toward the "church" and have been for quite some time, not the true body of Christ (which is the real church), but instead toward the play church.

You know the type...they tell you how evolution is how the world we know came about, they explain to you how nothing is really sin, and they explain away everything that God did and tell you how it was "metaphorical" and it didn't really happen. Those same people get on those of us who are "biblical literalists" about this biblical literalism "disease" we apparently have.

I get up this morning and read this:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/14/5808888/scientists-discover-massive-ocean-of-water-400-miles-underground

You know how that whole "flood thing" didn't really happen? Turns out maybe...just maybe it did.

Do you want the power of God back in this world? We could start by telling the world just exactly what God has done and quit making excuses as to how He didn't really do what He claims and how it was just a good story we can take a lesson from.

If God can't do a small thing like flood the entire planet...how could He do such a miraculous thing like saving a soul?

Can we, as the church, please stop explaining away God?!

SL
Interesting article , thank you

For the past couple of years we have been hearing about "waters of the deep" discovered by geologists .... including huge undersea caverns leading into the mantle