Where's the water?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
People's Republic of Maryland
I must admit, I am very disgruntled toward the "church" and have been for quite some time, not the true body of Christ (which is the real church), but instead toward the play church.

You know the type...they tell you how evolution is how the world we know came about, they explain to you how nothing is really sin, and they explain away everything that God did and tell you how it was "metaphorical" and it didn't really happen. Those same people get on those of us who are "biblical literalists" about this biblical literalism "disease" we apparently have.

I get up this morning and read this:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/14/5808888/scientists-discover-massive-ocean-of-water-400-miles-underground

You know how that whole "flood thing" didn't really happen? Turns out maybe...just maybe it did.

Do you want the power of God back in this world? We could start by telling the world just exactly what God has done and quit making excuses as to how He didn't really do what He claims and how it was just a good story we can take a lesson from.

If God can't do a small thing like flood the entire planet...how could He do such a miraculous thing like saving a soul?

Can we, as the church, please stop explaining away God?!

SL

Reactions: laid renard

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Secondhand Lion said:
I must admit, I am very disgruntled toward the "church" and have been for quite some time, not the true body of Christ (which is the real church), but instead toward the play church.
When I first read this, I was like "Hmmm...I wonder what this will be about?"

You know the type...they tell you how evolution is how the world we know came about,
You mean they don't deny reality? The horror!! I bet there are some churches that actually teach that the earth moves and orbits the sun too! ;)

they explain to you how nothing is really sin, and they explain away everything that God did and tell you how it was "metaphorical" and it didn't really happen. Those same people get on those of us who are "biblical literalists" about this biblical literalism "disease" we apparently have.
Things aren't always so black-white. Not all non-fundamentalist churches teach that "nothing is a sin".

I get up this morning and read this:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/14/5808888/scientists-discover-massive-ocean-of-water-400-miles-underground

You know how that whole "flood thing" didn't really happen? Turns out maybe...just maybe it did.
??????? That article didn't say anything about a flood. In fact, the water it's talking about is 200-400 miles underground.

Do you want the power of God back in this world? We could start by telling the world just exactly what God has done and quit making excuses as to how He didn't really do what He claims and how it was just a good story we can take a lesson from.

If God can't do a small thing like flood the entire planet...how could He do such a miraculous thing like saving a soul?
What do you think it says to outsiders when Christians advocate ridiculous, demonstrably wrong things?

Can we, as the church, please stop explaining away God?!
How about accepting God's creation as it actually exists, rather than how you want it to be?

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....I live at 10,500 ft in New Mexico...........fossils everywhere......
Secondhand Lion.............................GOOD JOB!

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
You can't use water that's already at it's lowest point to flood a surface that's 400 miles above. From the scientists...

"It's no longer liquid water that we're talking about at these great depths. The weight of hundreds of kilometers of rock and very high temperatures above 1,000 degrees Celsius (1,832 Fahrenheit) break down water into its components. And it's not accessible. It's not a resource in any way,"

We Christians need to stop doing things like this.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
River Jordan said:
You can't use water that's already at it's lowest point to flood a surface that's 400 miles above. We Christians need to stop doing things like this.
HUH????????????????????????????????????????

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Think of it this way....if you have a rock sitting on a plate with water on it, you can't completely cover the rock using only the water that's on the plate. That water is already at its lowest point. You can try and move it up over the rock, but the water will just run right back down to its lowest point. IOW, there's not enough water on the plate to completely cover the rock. It's just like the earth. If there was enough water to flood the earth, it would be flooded. The reason we have "dry land" is because there's not enough water to cover it. As soon as some of that water is moved onto the land (like with storms), it immediately runs back to its lowest point.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
There is a thing also called rain.........that never stops....for 40 nights...the evaporation occurs quickly.

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened. (Genesis 7:11 KJV)

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
People's Republic of Maryland
River,

Sigh...do you really want to do this again?

If the water is at its lowest point currently (which I will concede)....could it then have been at a higher point at some point in the past and then proceeded to the lowest point? Kinda like when God said the waters receded?

Could it be possible that the water they found under the U.S. is just a small part of the total water at that depth worldwide? If so, could that possibly mean there is indeed enough water?

Could it be that science does a good job with the information that they have...but they have no idea what it is that they don't know yet so they are always making decisions based on incomplete data? Com'mon....how can they know what they don't know yet? When they do know it....couldn't it change everything whole cloth?

SL

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
South Point, Hawaii (Big Island)
RANDOR said:
There is a thing also called rain.........that never stops....for 40 nights...the evaporation occurs quickly.
Take it easy on me, ie, I'm an old man and could have had the big one - we agree to agree! Never thought it would happen in my life time. :unsure:

"Rain" was the chief source from what I gathered decades ago.

Old Jack looking for his heart meds.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the water on the Earth remains in the water cycle - it doesnt leave the planet. so if the water that flooded the planet covered everything........where did it all recede to?

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
ChristianJuggarnaut said:
Interesting SL, one criticism of a worldwide flood is that there is not enough water to cover everything.
Yes .... but the truth is 72% of earth is under water right now

Most of the rest is just a few feet above sea level

The Mariana trench in the ocean is 36,000 feet deep ... Mount Everest is only 29,000 feet high

So if Everest was pushed down and the deep sea trenches up , we have plenty of water to cover the earth

I am not saying that is what happened , just dont anyone say a worldwide flood is impossible

laid renard

Apr 2, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Not enough water ? Has any one stopped to consider that maybe God multiplied the water just like Jesus did the fish and bread ? If God can create an entire universe out of nothing surely He can flood one planet with the water that's already there. He's God. No Thing is impossible for Him. Nuff said.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
And we haven't even mentioned "waters of the deep" which indicate huge underground springs Genesis 7:11

Recently deep sea researchers have found these huge water bearing caverns running deep into the earth

But lets back up for a minute to the early days of creation (before the flood) when everything (the whole earth) was covered in water Genesis 1:2

Then God separated them , split into water above (sky) , the rest gathered to the sea and dry land appeared Genesis 1:7

Most likely at the time of Noah's flood the water canopy in the sky came down (40 days of rain) , waters of the deep were opened , and the whole earth was once again covered.

So please dont anyone say there was not enough water to cover the whole earth , it has already happened twice already.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
RANDOR said:
The water that is rain comes from the water that already exists. It's just like what I described with trying to "flood" the rock by moving water from the plate to the top of the rock...it just moves back down to its lowest point. That's what rain is...taking water from a low point, moving it up, and dropping it onto the surface where it runs right back to its lowest point.
Secondhand Lion said:
Sigh...do you really want to do this again?
Not really, but as long as my fellow Christians keep spouting nonsense in the name of our faith, I'll object.

If the water is at its lowest point currently (which I will concede)....could it then have been at a higher point at some point in the past and then proceeded to the lowest point? Kinda like when God said the waters receded?
That's not what's necessary for an entire planet to be flooded for a year.

Could it be possible that the water they found under the U.S. is just a small part of the total water at that depth worldwide? If so, could that possibly mean there is indeed enough water?

Could it be that science does a good job with the information that they have...but they have no idea what it is that they don't know yet so they are always making decisions based on incomplete data? Com'mon....how can they know what they don't know yet? When they do know it....couldn't it change everything whole cloth?
I think you should read your own sources more closely. The scientists who made this discovery even said the water isn't in liquid form and is bound up in a molecular prison of sorts (and isn't accessible).

Arnie Manitoba said:
So if Everest was pushed down and the deep sea trenches up , we have plenty of water to cover the earth

I am not saying that is what happened , just dont anyone say a worldwide flood is impossible
Moving that much mass, that quickly requires an enormous amount of energy, most of which is given off as heat. Even under the most conservative of circumstances it's more than enough to boil off all the oceans and atmosphere and render the earth completely uninhabitable.
laid renard said:
Not enough water ? Has any one stopped to consider that maybe God multiplied the water just like Jesus did the fish and bread ? If God can create an entire universe out of nothing surely He can flood one planet with the water that's already there. He's God. No Thing is impossible for Him. Nuff said.
Right, and that's at least a little more honest than this creationist flood geology nonsense. But then you also have to believe God supernaturally created the flood and also supernaturally erased all the evidence of it too (both geologic and biological). That strikes me as pretty deceptive and I don't believe God would do that.
Arnie Manitoba said:
Most likely at the time of Noah's flood the water canopy in the sky came down (40 days of rain) , waters of the deep were opened , and the whole earth was once again covered.

So please dont anyone say there was not enough water to cover the whole earth , it has already happened twice already.
Have you ever done the math on what such a "canopy" would do?

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
River Jordan ... you are not thinking it through

The water had to be "in the sky" right from the start (in order for it to rain 40 days)

It could not simply be clouds from evaporation like we have today

In order for that to work the Noah rain would have to stop , sun would have to evaporate water into clouds (flood waters would become lower) ... then rain again .... no net gain

The water had to be in the sky before the 40 days , and come down for 40 days.

River Jordan said:
Have you ever done the math on what such a "canopy" would do?
Have you ever done the math on people living to 900 years of age before the flood ?

I think it was quite a different world back then , maybe the watery canopy protected earth in a way we are not familiar with , similar to a greenhouse

Even huge dinosaurs thrived ..... some biologists say dinosaur lungs were much too small to survive in our air today , probably it was an oxygen & CO2 rich environment back then

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Arnie Manitoba said:
The water had to be "in the sky" right from the start (in order for it to rain 40 days)

It could not simply be clouds from evaporation like we have today

In order for that to work the Noah rain would have to stop , sun would have to evaporate water into clouds (flood waters would become lower) ... then rain again .... no net gain

The water had to be in the sky before the 40 days , and come down for 40 days.
Do you understand what that much water in the atmosphere does? I'll give you a hint....it's called "atmospheric pressure". Think it through.

Have you ever done the math on people living to 900 years of age before the flood ?
Are you aware that it was a long-standing literary tradition for a culture to have its patriarchs live incredibly long lives? The Sumerian patriarchs were written to be over 1,000 years old!

I think it was quite a different world back then , maybe the watery canopy protected earth in a way we are not familiar with , similar to a greenhouse

Even huge dinosaurs thrived ..... some biologists say dinosaur lungs were much too small to survive in our air today , probably it was an oxygen & CO2 rich environment back then
I think you need to think it through more.

Madad21

Boast in Christ
Dec 28, 2013
Where did all the water come from?
Where did it all go?

Answer: God,...........God did that :mellow:

Matthew 19:26​
But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

​(not many believe that)