Who can perform baptism?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Who can perform baptism?

Any disciples of Jesus, John 4

1 Now when Jesus learned that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus was making and baptizing more disciples than John 2(although Jesus himself did not baptize, but only his disciples),
Matthew 28:

16 Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. 17And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. 18And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
Disciples baptize believers. They become disciples. Now they, in turn, are qualified to make other disciples.

Today, baptisms are usually performed by ordained pastors.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any Christian!
For sure, any Christian, which is exemplified by scripture. There is no scripture defining who can or can't baptize nor one that defines qualifications of the baptizer. The only thing we know by the scriptures is that baptism is an immersion in water, by the authority of God (i.e.; in the name of), the one being immersed declares or confirms his belief, those baptised are men and women i.e., being of an accountable age able to believe and choose.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There is no scripture defining who can or can't baptize nor one that defines qualifications of the baptizer.
A pastor was unfamiliar with Rev 1:6. Our society has gone off the deep end with accreditation and certification. It’s not a coincidence or accident that ALL the Apostles were laymen.

Used to be only one Tribe of Israel, Levi, could be priests. Through Christ, we saints all have that divine appointment or office.

Revelation 1:6

New Living Translation

6 He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who can perform baptism?

Any disciples of Jesus, John 4

Matthew 28:

Disciples baptize believers. They become disciples. Now they, in turn, are qualified to make other disciples.

I find this an interesting question. Off the top of my head, I would consider a cleric from a recognized church authorized to perform a baptism. But how do you define "recognized church"?

And what about people starting up new churches, which raises another question: Who has the authority to start a new church?

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find this an interesting question. Off the top of my head, I would consider a cleric from a recognized church authorized to perform a baptism. But how do you define "recognized church"?

And what about people starting up new churches, which raises another question: Who has the authority to start a new church?
The TRUE church can be replicated as it was in early NT times. By who's authority? God's! We're told in the Bible to make deciples of every nation. Any Christian can baptize and do exactly that. A baptized believer is a member of the Lord's body having been baptized into it and added to it by the Lord himself. Read Acts 2:38-47. A group of baptized believers in any location is the church there, the nody of Christ. It's pretty simple. Just follow the scriptures and do what was done back then.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Getting water baptized does not save you, so, it hardly qualifies you to "make disciples"..

What Qualifies you?

BEING Born Again.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Getting water baptized does not save you, so, it hardly qualifies you to "make disciples"..

What Qualifies you?

BEING Born Again.
That's NOT what the scripture says. Baptism DOES save the believer.

1 Peter 3:21​

KJV

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
That's NOT what the scripture says. Baptism DOES save the believer.

1 Peter 3:21​

KJV

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us

The way you are trying to misuse that verse.../

That's a "cult of Mary" teaching, that takes the verse you posted, that says.. "the LIKE FIGURE">.. and tries to teach it as "Literal".

And that verse is "symbolic" as a "figure " is "figuratively"... speaking.

Now what the Catholic Cult does with that verse, is they combine it with "water saved Noah", and then their Demonic bible teaches...

= "Born again.. BY Water",.. in John 3...

So, the "cult of mary" that is a "water cult', reinvents Salvation as "water baptism"... trying to twist those 3 verses .
Their Demonic Bible is the : Douay Rheims.

Which is what you just tried to do.. @DJT_47 .

You're Catholic? Or a JW? or some Fringe Baptist?

There is another "cult of Mary" on the Forum... "Breadoflife" and that one is so very addicted to His water cult's theory.

He was yelling at me one day.. recently.. = "The water saved Noah, as that is what the verse said".. !!!!!!

And i told him... Listen, if Noah and family had gotten into the Flood water, they would have DIED.. They would have DROWNED.
That FLOOD WATER killed everything.

So, again, that is also SYMBOLIC.........and He kept right on yelling.. "water saves, water saves".. "Noah, Noah, Noah" !!!!!!!

I think he still is dreaming about Noah's Flood. And when He's not preaching that '"water saves you" then there is always someone who will.

And here you are @DJT_47

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The TRUE church can be replicated as it was in early NT times. By who's authority? God's! We're told in the Bible to make deciples of every nation. Any Christian can baptize and do exactly that. A baptized believer is a member of the Lord's body having been baptized into it and added to it by the Lord himself. Read Acts 2:38-47. A group of baptized believers in any location is the church there, the nody of Christ. It's pretty simple. Just follow the scriptures and do what was done back then.
So if John Doe starts a church, I am to assume God gave him the authority to do that?

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The way you are trying to misuse that verse.../

That's a "cult of Mary" teaching, that takes the verse you posted, that says.. "the LIKE FIGURE">.. and tries to teach it as "Literal".

And that verse is "symbolic" as a "figure " is "figuratively"... speaking.

Now what the Catholic Cult does with that verse, is they combine it with "water saved Noah", and then their Demonic bible teaches...

= "Born again.. BY Water",.. in John 3...

So, the "cult of mary" that is a "water cult', reinvents Salvation as "water baptism"... trying to twist those 3 verses .

Their Demonic Bible is the : Douay Rheims.

Which is what you just tried to do.. @DJT_47 .

You're Catholic? Or a JW? or some Fringe Baptist?

There is another "cult of Mary" on the Forum... "Breadoflife" and that one is so very addicted to His water cult's theory.

He was yelling at me one day.. recently.. = "The water saved Noah, as that is what the verse said".. !!!!!!

And i told him... Listen, if Noah and family had gotten into the Flood water, they would have DIED.. They would have DROWNED.
That FLOOD WATER killed everything.

So, again, that is also SYMBOLIC.........and He kept right on yelling.. "water saves, water saves".. "Noah, Noah, Noah" !!!!!!!

I think he still is dreaming about Noah's Flood. And when He's not preaching that '"water saves you" then there is always someone who will.

And here you are @DJT_47
How can a person misuse such plain English as is the scripture? What a dumb comment!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
How can a person misuse such plain English as is the scripture? What a dumb comment!

You misused the verse, because you can't do this..

"rightly divided",, as the word of God is "spiritually discerned"..

So, to you, "truth" sounds "dumb."

But to a real student, who can hear Truth, then what im showing you, is like teaching 1+1 = 2... to a Math Professor.

That's a fact.

Let me show you this..

All Scripture is given for a purpose..

All of the NT, instructs the Born again, but not all of it is doctrine.

And many verses in the NT are Symbolic, or Allegorical... and not to be taken Literally.

You picked a symbolic and your water cult taught you to see it as Literal.

That is very unfortunate, for you.. @DJT_47

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You misused the verse, because you can't do this..

"rightly divided",, as the word of God is "spiritually discerned"..

So, to you, "truth" sounds "dumb."

But to a real student, who can hear Truth, then what im showing you, is like teaching 1+1 = 2... to a Math Professor.

That's a fact.

Let me show you this..

All Scripture is given for a purpose..

All of the NT, instructs the Born again, but not all of it is doctrine.

And many verses in the NT are Symbolic, or Allegorical... and not to be taken Literally.

You picked a symbolic and your water cult taught you to see it as Literal.

That is very unfortunate, for you.. @DJT_47
I can read and understand simple, clear, English! Can you? Obviously not.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I can read and understand simple, clear, English! Can you? Obviously not.

You have mistaken the Holy Bible for a dictionary.

Let me assure you @DJT_47 .... that the word of God is not the same as any other reading material.

Lets just look at this verse... and maybe you can think about it.

""""Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls SAVED BY WATER"..

See that?
That is Noah and Family.

The verse said they were "saved by water".

Isnt that what it says, when you read it? You just read it.

"Saved by water"..

Now, what happens to Noah and Family, if they get into that water, outside that Boat?

They DIE .
They DROWN.
All 8.

Yet the verse said the "water saved them".... ."saved by water".

It didnt., and that verse is not a "error in the KJV" or whatever these carnal "types" try to prove.

Now, @DJT_47 ..

What saved Noah and Family?

The Ark .. The Boat, that kept them OUT of the WATER that killed every living THING.

See that?

Reader,
The Bible is not something to play with....its something that shows you its LIGHT.. and that Light is the Real Deal.

Its a Spiritual Book, and you can't just read one verse and try to make the BIBLE teach that one idea.

So, what is Noah's Ark?

Its where people were saved = IN IT.

See that?

That is symbolic of The Cross of Christ, as that is what Saves you and me.

See that water? That water was God's Judgment against SIN.
And He is coming to do it again....(Great Trib)/... and The Cross is why we are SA
VED from that JUDGEMENT.

Last edited:

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have mistaken the Holy Bible for a dictionary.

Let me assure you @DJT_47 .... that the word of God is not the same as any other reading material.

Lets just look at this verse... and maybe you can think about it.

""""Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls SAVED BY WATER"..

See that?
That is Noah and Family.

The verse said they were "saved by water".

Isnt that what it says, when you read it? You just read it.

"Saved by water"..

Now, what happens to Noah and Family, if they get into that water, outside that Boat?

They DIE .
They DROWN.
All 8.

Yet the verse said the "water saved them".... ."saved by water".

It didnt., and that verse is not a "error in the KJV" or whatever these carnal "types" try to prove.

Now, @DJT_47 ..

What saved Noah and Family?

The Ark .. The Boat, that kept them OUT of the WATER that killed every living THING.

See that?

Reader,
The Bible is not something to play with....its something that shows you its LIGHT.. and that Light is the Real Deal.

Its a Spiritual Book, and you can't just read one verse and try to make the BIBLE teach that one idea.

So, what is Noah's Ark?

Its where people were saved = IN IT.

See that?

That is symbolic of The Cross of Christ, as that is what Saves you and me.

See that water? That water was God's Judgment against SIN.
And He is coming to do it again....(Great Trib)/... and The Cross is why we are SA
VED from that JUDGEMENT.
Goodbye. Go divide some more words. Start with the few in the below scriptures.

Acts 22:16

16And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Acts 2:38

38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Mark 16:15-16

15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Belief + baptism = salvation

Reactions: Philip James

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
16And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

See the 2nd Part of your verse ? @DJT_47

= "Calling on the name of the Lord", its THAT which washes away your sin. Because God does that when you Give Him your Faith in Christ, or "calling on His Name"..

"All who call on the name of the Lord, shall be SAVED"...

No water required.

The first part that Peter is preaching... is "john the baptist" water baptism, that was what many Jews, Including Peter were doing....
They were doing it before Jesus died on the Cross.

And the person you are talking about in the verse : is Paul..

And Paul told you this..

"Christ sent me not to water Baptize"..

See that?

That is the same one who was water baptized, in your verse.

So, why would Paul, who Wrote most of the NT Epistles... who gave the Church "the Gospel of the Grace of God".. and he was water baptized........tell us that "Christ sent me not to Water Baptize".. if water saves you. ????

Think on that.

Noone in your cult can help you with that question.

I can.
Im here if you decide to listen..

Acts 2:38

38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Peter is the apostle.... who had to be shown in Acts 10 that Gentiles could be saved. And that is 10 yrs after Jesus died on the Cross.
So, he is here, in Acts 2.... stiil in "Old Testament" mindset,....and he is giving them the Cross + John the Baptist's water... .who was always telling the Jews to "repent and be water baptized".

So, Reader, by Acts 15... when Paul met Peter and gave him the Gospel that WE preach... .. then following that, which is about 15 yrs after Jesus is back in Heaven .. Peter was no longer talking about Water. He was talking about the BLOOD of Jesus.
But in Act 2, when he was not familiar with what Paul would teach all The Apostles in Acts 15. .. Peter could only preach what he knew at that time.

Mark 16:15-16

15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Belief + baptism = salvation

Ok, im going to open one more verse for you, @DJT_47 .

Notice your verse ??

It says, he that believes and is baptized shall be saved... = but He that BELIEVES NOT, shall be damned.

Why didnt the verse include not being water baptized as part of the Damnation?

Its because God does not accept your water baptism to save you.
Water only gets you WET.

Didn't you never realize that the Dying Thief on the Cross , who is with Jesus, was never water baptized?

Listen,
God only accepts and demands that we BELIEVE IN JESUS, and give God our FAITH In Christ..

If we dont, then we die, damned.

Here is the verse.

John 3:36

And you'll note they are not under God's wrath = because they didnt get water baptized.

If fact, thousands of people today, died and went to Hell, and they were water baptized.
Their CULT lied to them..

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See the 2nd Part of your verse ? @DJT_47

= "Calling on the name of the Lord", its THAT which washes away your sin. Because God does that when you Give Him your Faith in Christ, or "calling on His Name"..

"All who call on the name of the Lord, shall be SAVED"...

No water required.

The first part that Peter is preaching... is "john the baptist" water baptism, that was what many Jews, Including Peter were doing....
They were doing it before Jesus died on the Cross.

And the person you are talking about in the verse : is Paul..

And Paul told you this..

"Christ sent me not to water Baptize"..

See that?

That is the same one who was water baptized, in your verse.

So, why would Paul, who Wrote most of the NT Epistles... who gave the Church "the Gospel of the Grace of God".. and he was water baptized........tell us that "Christ sent me not to Water Baptize".. if water saves you. ????

Think on that.

Noone in your cult can help you with that question.

I can.
Im here if you decide to listen..

Peter is the apostle.... who had to be shown in Acts 10 that Gentiles could be saved. And that is 10 yrs after Jesus died on the Cross.
So, he is here, in Acts 2.... stiil in "Old Testament" mindset,....and he is giving them the Cross + John the Baptist's water... .who was always telling the Jews to "repent and be water baptized".

So, Reader, by Acts 15... when Paul met Peter and gave him the Gospel that WE preach... .. then following that, which is about 15 yrs after Jesus is back in Heaven .. Peter was no longer talking about Water. He was talking about the BLOOD of Jesus.
But in Act 2, when he was not familiar with what Paul would teach all The Apostles in Acts 15. .. Peter could only preach what he knew at that time.

Ok, im going to open one more verse for you, @DJT_47 .

Notice your verse ??

It says, he that believes and is baptized shall be saved... = but He that BELIEVES NOT, shall be damned.

Why didnt the verse include not being water baptized as part of the Damnation?

Its because God does not accept your water baptism to save you.
Water only gets you WET.

Didn't you never realize that the Dying Thief on the Cross , who is with Jesus, was never water baptized?

Listen,
God only accepts and demands that we BELIEVE IN JESUS, and give God our FAITH In Christ..

If we dont, then we die, damned.

Here is the verse.

John 3:36

And you'll note they are not under God's wrath = because they didnt get water baptized.

If fact, thousands of people today, died and went to Hell, and they were water baptized.
Their CULT lied to them..
You make no sense and lack scriptural understanding, i.e.; your quote of 1 Cor 1:17: read a bit further to understand what was meant. Read 1 Cor 3:6-7 below. Apollos was doing most of the baptizing. Paul preached and taught, Apollos baptized (immersed), God gave the increase consistent with Acts 2:47. Goodbye.

"6I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 7So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase."

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
You make no sense and lack scriptural understanding,

I make sense to people who realize that water baptism didnt die on the Cross for their sin.

And when you realize this, you'll read what i post and it'll be clear as a bell.

But not until... @DJT_47 .

That's on you.