Who Do You Go To, To Receive A Gift of the Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe you go to anyone. Spiritual gifts are gifts from God, so if you have to ask for one, you're probably not prepared for the responsibilities that go with it. Plus you're probably tempting God by asking for something you don't deserve.

Desiring a spiritual gift and asking for a spiritual gift are two totally different things. One is scriptural, and to best of my knowledge, the other is not. (If I'm wrong on this please correct me)

People treat spiritual gifts like they're a common thing. Like the door man at Walmart with the smiley face stickers, the Lord is just handing them out to anyone who asks. Well it doesn't work like that. Need proof? Visit a cancer ward.

Gifts of the Holy Spirit are just that. Gifts. It's not a gift if you have to ask for it.

Thanks for sharing, but Paul did exhort believers that if any seek a spiritual gift, they were to seek the gift of prophesy so as to edify the body of believers.

1 Corinthians 14:1Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy......12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

So obviously, the question of Who to go to for any spiritual gift is the Lord Jesus Christ.

Romans 8:32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:....11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. 15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me....
13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Seems pretty cleat that scripture points believers to go before that throne of grace to ask Jesus Christ for any spiritual gift.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems pretty cleat that scripture points believers to go before that throne of grace to ask Jesus Christ for any spiritual gift.
Actually, none of what you posted has anything to do with asking for a spiritual gift. The closest one was the one from Corinthians and all that's really saying is "excel in your desire for the edification of the church". Nowhere does it state or even hint that we must approach and ask God for a spiritual gift.

I posted from my understanding. I know you see things different and that's fine. If everyone saw eye to eye this place would be boring.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, none of what you posted has anything to do with asking for a spiritual gift. The closest one was the one from Corinthians and all that's really saying is "excel in your desire for the edification of the church". Nowhere does it state or even hint that we must approach and ask God for a spiritual gift.

It does beg the question "how".

I posted from my understanding. I know you see things different and that's fine. If everyone saw eye to eye this place would be boring.

I can accept that, brother.

1 Corinthians 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. 11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. 13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

But you can ask Him for wisdom on the subject on how to seek spiritual gifts.

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. 14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look at the list of the manifestations of the Spirit where Paul concluded that there is only one drink of the One Spirit we were all baptized by.

1 Corinthians 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will. 12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
GINOLJC, to all. not saying that anyone is right or wrong, but let's look at the first gift on this list. verse 8 "For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit". this gift is not a gift one go to the Lord Jesus to receive, but is called to it by the Lord Jesus himself. let me explain. this first gift is the PASTORAL gift. supportive scripture, Jeremiah 3:15 "And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding". back to 1 Corinthians 12:8 a word of WISDOM is understanding. not wisdom, but a WORD of Wisdom is understanding. if I speak a WORD of wisdom unto you, it produce understanding. now we have knowledge and understanding, and in Jeremiah 3:15, pastors feed with "KNOWLEDGE" and "UNDERSTANDING". so the very first gift on the list is a PASTORAL GIFT. the apostle Paul was a PASTOR, because of this Gift. scripture, 1 Corinthians 13:1 & 2 "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 "And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing". there is that pastoral GIFT, KNOWLEDGE & UNDERSTANDING.
but these GIFTS have far reaching understanding which is Spiritually discern.

be blessed.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It does beg the question "how".
I'm sorry. I forgot all about this.

"How." If one reads the scriptures for what they say, instead of what one wants them to say, they'll get a totally different meaning or interpretation.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, to all. not saying that anyone is right or wrong, but let's look at the first gift on this list. verse 8 "For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit". this gift is not a gift one go to the Lord Jesus to receive, but is called to it by the Lord Jesus himself. let me explain. this first gift is the PASTORAL gift. supportive scripture, Jeremiah 3:15 "And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding". back to 1 Corinthians 12:8 a word of WISDOM is understanding. not wisdom, but a WORD of Wisdom is understanding. if I speak a WORD of wisdom unto you, it produce understanding. now we have knowledge and understanding, and in Jeremiah 3:15, pastors feed with "KNOWLEDGE" and "UNDERSTANDING". so the very first gift on the list is a PASTORAL GIFT. the apostle Paul was a PASTOR, because of this Gift. scripture, 1 Corinthians 13:1 & 2 "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 "And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing". there is that pastoral GIFT, KNOWLEDGE & UNDERSTANDING.
but these GIFTS have far reaching understanding which is Spiritually discern.

be blessed.

It should be noted that gifts are not obtained by receiving the Holy Spirit separate from salvation since 1 Corinthians 12:13 says we all have been baptized into one body by the one drink of the One Spirit which happened at our salvation. So there is no seeking to receive the Holy Spirit in order to get any spiritual gift.

You ask Jesus for that gift.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me....
13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry. I forgot all about this.

"How." If one reads the scriptures for what they say, instead of what one wants them to say, they'll get a totally different meaning or interpretation.

I cannot see how anyone can interpret this in any other way.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It says nothing about spiritual gifts. You're injecting your wants and desires into the passage. You're saying it means one thing when it actually means something else.

If I can use that passage to justify asking for a spiritual gift, I can also use it to justify asking for a million dollars.

Spiritual gifts, in my opinion, is the greatest honor the Lord can bestow on a living human being. Asking Him to simply give you one is tantamount to tempting the Lord. It's like a soldier fresh out of boot camp approaching the President and demanding a Silver Star. It doesn't work like that. You have earn that award. I believe it's the same with the spiritual gifts. You have to earn your way to the top. You don't just get there by simply asking.

Take the passage from John and replace spiritual gifts with wood chipper and you can actually make an argument stating the Lord wants us to have wood chippers.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It should be noted that gifts are not obtained by receiving the Holy Spirit separate from salvation since 1 Corinthians 12:13 says we all have been baptized into one body by the one drink of the One Spirit which happened at our salvation. So there is no seeking to receive the Holy Spirit in order to get any spiritual gift.
not saying that you're right or wrong about salvation, but consider this, Romans 8:24 & 25 "For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? 25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it".
Just asking, are you save now, or have the promise of eternal life. now if you have eternal life as we speak, meaning that you're change, then this don't apply to you.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It says nothing about spiritual gifts. You're injecting your wants and desires into the passage. You're saying it means one thing when it actually means something else.

If I can use that passage to justify asking for a spiritual gift, I can also use it to justify asking for a million dollars.

Spiritual gifts, in my opinion, is the greatest honor the Lord can bestow on a living human being. Asking Him to simply give you one is tantamount to tempting the Lord. It's like a soldier fresh out of boot camp approaching the President and demanding a Silver Star. It doesn't work like that. You have earn that award. I believe it's the same with the spiritual gifts. You have to earn your way to the top. You don't just get there by simply asking.

Take the passage from John and replace spiritual gifts with wood chipper and you can actually make an argument stating the Lord wants us to have wood chippers.

You do seem to be avoiding the question. To say no.. you should provide a scripture reference to validate that "no" answer.

But mayhap these references shall answer you as to where the gifts of the Spirit will come from.

Romans 8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? 32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. 15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

John 14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Since any answer to prayer is that the Son will do it; and Paul exhorting believers to seek spiritual gifts, then you should know Who to ask for any spiritual gift from these references. If not, then I cannot help you.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
not saying that you're right or wrong about salvation, but consider this, Romans 8:24 & 25 "For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? 25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it".
Just asking, are you save now, or have the promise of eternal life. now if you have eternal life as we speak, meaning that you're change, then this don't apply to you.

The hope in receiving the eternal inheritance is yet what we HAVE hope for in Christ but as a true witness, we are saved now because we have His seal to call God, Our Father NOW.

Ephesians 1:11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: 12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. 15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,

Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last edited:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
I can't believe people just don't see the truth when it's right in from of them. "sealed with PROMISE", and "UNTIL THE REDEMPTION". look believers have a promise. my God thank you Jesus. but this promise is in hop just read Hebrews chapter 11. Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen". we have it by faith until we actually receive it. Romans 8:24 "For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? 25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it. 26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered". you have a promise of salvation which is a Guarantee for God cannot lie. listen, Colossians 3:1 "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory". how clear can one get?.
1 John 3:2 "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure". the reward is at his coming. 1 Corinthians 15:51 "Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory".

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was never an issue.

If the Son will do it then you obviously have the gift you asked for. Which spiritual gift do you have?
i

Only the Lord can confirm this to you but I believe the gift of prophecy; which is edification and not predicting future event.

Of course, only God can cause the increase as any edification manifested by Him will not all be received by all the hearers in the vicinity as the case is the same for whenever any one preaches the gospel. Not all who hear will believe.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't believe people just don't see the truth when it's right in from of them. "sealed with PROMISE", and "UNTIL THE REDEMPTION". look believers have a promise.

That is not what it said.

13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Sealed with the Holy Spirit OF promise ... not "sealed WITH promise". And certainly "until redemption" cannot exclude the "purchased possession".

That means you have been saved, and the redemption of that purchased possession when you receive eternal life shall come as promised since the Holy Spirit is in you and is not going anywhere.

And do note when that sealing of the Holy Spirit had been taken place. AFTER you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation in Whom after you had believed WAS WHEN you had received the seal of the Holy Spirit OF promise.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Man you can't read?. listen to yourself.
ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise
see that word "OF" promise. have you been CHANGED, see the Holy Spirit is a "HELPER", if you already have already obtain then you want have need of a helper. my God how hard is it?.

13 In whom ye also trusted
you missed the "TRUST" why trust when you suppose to already have it?. well....... are you still trusting Christ even as we speak, if so then you're waiting as the apostle stated, Romans 8:24 & 25 "For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? 25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it".
can't get any clearer that that.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JesusIsFaithful let me make it as plain as possible. see the Spirit was sent to help our spirits in our struggle with our flesh. this flesh must be put off (death) or if the Lord returns before you die then (CHANGED). until then we wait