Who is King James in the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
James (1566-1625) James was a secular king of England, but his name is associated with Reformed Christianity. His identity was immortalized with a famous copy of the Bible, the "James Bible".

Vkx0mIP.png

After the death of Elizabeth I, the throne fell into the hands of James I, son of Mary Stuart, Queen of Scotland. James is the grandson who grew up in an old-fashioned but very principled atmosphere. He proclaimed an unforgettable question: "No bishop, no king." He was the king of two nations, ruling over two peoples, but between the two nations, the two peoples had no connection at all.

Under the reign of James I, England lived in peace and prosperity. He kept his policy of neutrality deftly, not letting his country fall into war with its neighbors. It is said that James I ruled by divine wisdom. Though authoritarian at times, he did not issue any edicts to incite the public to take to the streets. During this period, former Roman Catholics were reserved and operated in secrecy. But the Puritan sect thrived. The Radical Reform group grew larger and larger as they proposed a way that the Church and the state should never interfere in each other's internal affairs. Although the fire burned in Europe, the British people still "awakened him!

By the time James I changed his dealings with the Romans in March 1604, the King had issued a strict (unknown) order that vehemently opposed the Roman clergy. A plot to assassinate the king led by Guy Fawkes was exposed, so he and his accomplices were arrested and executed. The Puritan group submitted a petition with 1000 signatures when the king visited London. The purpose of this hearing was to demand that James I immediately reform the Church of England. In January 1064, a conference of leading Puritan bishops was held at Hampton Court. They made the first decision that “There must be a new translation of the entire Bible, not just the Old Testament,” as the Episcopal, Geneva Bible, and Tyndale Version were the most recent. But the Church and the public desperately needed a universal copy so that all classes of British citizens could read the word of God. 44 scholars (or 47) were assigned to translate the “King James Bible”. This translation was first published in 1611.

King James, I died in 1625, he reigned for 22 years (1603-1625).
@Jennifer Rogers The 1611 King James version, of which there were various subsequent editions, was itself based on the existing Geneva Bible from some decades previously.

For such a long time the King James was basically the standard Bible edition in English.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BTW, I am also [added word] a non-denominational born again Christian. I believe in the Trinity. I believe in the Bible Alone [deleted words] as my authority for all matters of faith and practice. I believe that we are under the commands given to us in the New Testament and not the Old Testament. So we don’t have to keep the Saturday Sabbath, circumcision, dietary laws, etcetera. We are to follow the commands given to us by Jesus and His followers (in the pages of the New Testament). I believe we are to love all others and speak in love, despite our correction of another’s false beliefs. I believe Christians are saved by two aspects of salvation. The 1st aspect of salvation is being saved by God’s grace without works (1 Corinthians 15:1-4, Romans 10:13, John 1:12, Ephesians 2:8-9). The 2nd aspect of salvation is the Sanctification of the Holy Spirit (to live a holy life), and a belief of the truth (i.e. a continual study and belief in the doctrines in the Holy Bible) (See: 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14) (Also see: Romans 8:13, Titus 1:16, Hebrews 12:14, James 2:24, John 5:24).

Praise the Lord!!!
It is rare when Christians agree with me on these major things.
That there is a miracle indeed, brother (At least for me anyways).

You said:
I am a Jew

Awesome. If you don’t mind me asking: Do you live in Israel? I always wanted to visit Israel someday to see the holy land. I always wanted to walk where the Lord had walked.

You said:
…and was an atheist for many years,

I grew up in a liberal Christian home, and I believed in God and prayed to Him at times as a child. In fact, I even told a neighboring childhood friend to stop praying to Mary and to just pray only to GOD. For I instinctively knew that what he was doing was wrong. As a child: I knew of Jesus but I did not know who He really was. Later when I went to high school, my science teacher convinced me there was no GOD and I believed him. So I became an atheist. When I declared this openly, every Christian out of the woodwork tried to tell me the truth. Anyways, as I continued in my high school years, God led me to have a crush on a Christian woman. She was different than other woman. She was kind in such a way whereby she did not look at just the physical, but she genuinely cared. While things did not work out like I was hoping (at the time) with her, I later ran into another Christian woman at work after highs school. While it was again not meant to be, I believe GOD used these woman to soften my heart with love to show me His existence. For one day, when I received a comic book tract called, “This Was Your Life” at work and later read it when I arrived home, I felt the fear of the Lord, and I was convicted of my sins and accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and savior. When I did that, it was like a light had went on inside of me. I had a love, joy, and peace that I had never known before and I wanted everyone to feel the same way.

You said:
until I was healed by the Lord Jesus Christ in the hospital.

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ!
He is the great healer indeed.

You said:
I became a born-again Christian in 1977 and have been in God's family -- the body of Christ -- since then.

I accepted the Lord and was born again spiritually in 1992 in my teenage years.

You said:
Because of my age and the risk of COVID-19 I no longer attend church, but I read the Bible (and associated books and commentaries) every day, generally a minimum of one hour.

That’s great news that you are in the Bible a minimum of about one hour a day. My Word time is when I see a Bible verse used on the forum, and so I strive to read that chapter (and or sometimes several chapters to get the context as a refresher and or for God talk to me). A lot of my deeper studies are written down on Google Documents.

You said:
I have been married to the woman God gave me for 54 years and have two children and two grandchildren.

Praise God. That’s good to hear. I have been married for about 6 years to a wonderful Christian woman, and we have a little one on the way. My biggest prayer is for our child to be a great person for the Lord.

You said:
To say that God has repeatedly blessed me is an understatement! Like Paul, I both anticipate being with God before too long but love my natural life as well.

That is the amazing and loving God we serve, brother. My goal and prayer in life is to work on a graphic novel (hard cover comic) teaching important topics involving the Bible for the Christian. In these last days I wanted to leave something behind before leaving this world (if that is the Lord’s will). I also have a couple of mini comic book tract storylines (as witnessing tools for a person to accept Jesus Christ). But I need to get my artistic skill back up where it was before (Seeing it has been a long time since I have drawn).

Anyways, it was nice talking with you.

May you and your family be greatly blessed in the Lord this fine day that He has made.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praise the Lord!!!
It is rare when Christians agree with me on these major things.
That there is a miracle indeed, brother (At least for me anyways).

Awesome. If you don’t mind me asking: Do you live in Israel? I always wanted to visit Israel someday to see the holy land. I always wanted to walk where the Lord had walked.

I grew up in a liberal Christian home, and I believed in God and prayed to Him at times as a child. In fact, I even told a neighboring childhood friend to stop praying to Mary and to just pray only to GOD. For I instinctively knew that what he was doing was wrong. As a child: I knew of Jesus but I did not know who He really was. Later when I went to high school, my science teacher convinced me there was no GOD and I believed him. So I became an atheist. When I declared this openly, every Christian out of the woodwork tried to tell me the truth. Anyways, as I continued in my high school years, God led me to have a crush on a Christian woman. She was different than other woman. She was kind in such a way whereby she did not look at just the physical, but she genuinely cared. While things did not work out like I was hoping (at the time) with her, I later ran into another Christian woman at work after highs school. While it was again not meant to be, I believe GOD used these woman to soften my heart with love to show me His existence. For one day, when I received a comic book tract called, “This Was Your Life” at work and later read it when I arrived home, I felt the fear of the Lord, and I was convicted of my sins and accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and savior. When I did that, it was like a light had went on inside of me. I had a love, joy, and peace that I had never known before and I wanted everyone to feel the same way.

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ!
He is the great healer indeed.

I accepted the Lord and was born again spiritually in 1992 in my teenage years.

That’s great news that you are in the Bible a minimum of about one hour a day. My Word time is when I see a Bible verse used on the forum, and so I strive to read that chapter (and or sometimes several chapters to get the context as a refresher and or for God talk to me). A lot of my deeper studies are written down on Google Documents.

Praise God. That’s good to hear. I have been married for about 6 years to a wonderful Christian woman, and we have a little one on the way. My biggest prayer is for our child to be a great person for the Lord.

That is the amazing and loving God we serve, brother. My goal and prayer in life is to work on a graphic novel (hard cover comic) teaching important topics involving the Bible for the Christian. In these last days I wanted to leave something behind before leaving this world (if that is the Lord’s will). I also have a couple of mini comic book tract storylines (as witnessing tools for a person to accept Jesus Christ). But I need to get my artistic skill back up where it was before (Seeing it has been a long time since I have drawn).

Anyways, it was nice talking with you.

May you and your family be greatly blessed in the Lord this fine day that He has made.

Thanks for telling your story. God has truly blessed you!

A couple of things: I was born in New York City, grew up in New England, and currently live in New Mexico. I have never been to Israel and, although I would like to visit, I doubt it will ever happen.

=> Just wait until you become a parent! <= It is truly a life-changing event. You will be blessed for many, many years.

May you and your family also be greatly blessed in the Lord this fine day that He has made.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for telling your story. God has truly blessed you!

A couple of things: I was born in New York City, grew up in New England, and currently live in New Mexico. I have never been to Israel and, although I would like to visit, I doubt it will ever happen.

=> Just wait until you become a parent! <= It is truly a life-changing event. You will be blessed for many, many years.

May you and your family also be greatly blessed in the Lord this fine day that He has made.

Thank you for the kind words. I replied to you more in detail by PM.

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really?

I hate making unfounded accusations, but Jennifer is doing some strange things. Awful pretty picture, if that's really her, but her intentions here have been a bit .... off.

Sorry, Jennifer. No offense intended, but you're doing some strange things, girl. :)

I hope you can understand why some are questioning your sincerity here.

Great subject to write about, but not sure how it helps you learn how to be a Christian as you claimed you were here for.
I’ve often wondered the same thing.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Who in this world does not make mistakes. Except for God, right? I may be weak now but in the future, it will be different. We all came into this world with a purpose, and did God have a plan for us? I hope in the future I will become a true Christian who is recognized and loved by everyone. God bless you!
@Jennifer Rogers In the end, what we are before God rather than others is what really counts: "Thou God seest me" (Genesis 16.13).

Reactions: Jennifer Rogers

ArkansasJames

Jun 10, 2022
Wright Co. Minnesota
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, there was an error in my typing. And when I write articles, of course, I should also go through documents such as books, articles, and Bibles to be able to write. For someone who is researching a certain issue, it is not wrong to consult books. I consult the necessary opinions, but I do not plagiarize other people's articles. If I plagiarize someone else's work, you can easily find it on google. Besides, you also need to consider the time of posting if there are really articles like mine.

It was an honest mistake. My first or second post here I somehow post a sabbath reply in the 3rd Commandment section!
Please don’t worry about small mistakes, just keep posting great articles like this.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was an honest mistake. My first or second post here I somehow post a sabbath reply in the 3rd Commandment section!
Please don’t worry about small mistakes, just keep posting great articles like this.
Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome to the Board.

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided!

GRACE And Peace...