Who is King James in the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jennifer Rogers

Mar 10, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James (1566-1625) James was a secular king of England, but his name is associated with Reformed Christianity. His identity was immortalized with a famous copy of the Bible, the "James Bible".

Vkx0mIP.png

After the death of Elizabeth I, the throne fell into the hands of James I, son of Mary Stuart, Queen of Scotland. James is the grandson who grew up in an old-fashioned but very principled atmosphere. He proclaimed an unforgettable question: "No bishop, no king." He was the king of two nations, ruling over two peoples, but between the two nations, the two peoples had no connection at all.

Under the reign of James I, England lived in peace and prosperity. He kept his policy of neutrality deftly, not letting his country fall into war with its neighbors. It is said that James I ruled by divine wisdom. Though authoritarian at times, he did not issue any edicts to incite the public to take to the streets. During this period, former Roman Catholics were reserved and operated in secrecy. But the Puritan sect thrived. The Radical Reform group grew larger and larger as they proposed a way that the Church and the state should never interfere in each other's internal affairs. Although the fire burned in Europe, the British people still "awakened him!

By the time James I changed his dealings with the Romans in March 1604, the King had issued a strict (unknown) order that vehemently opposed the Roman clergy. A plot to assassinate the king led by Guy Fawkes was exposed, so he and his accomplices were arrested and executed. The Puritan group submitted a petition with 1000 signatures when the king visited London. The purpose of this hearing was to demand that James I immediately reform the Church of England. In January 1064, a conference of leading Puritan bishops was held at Hampton Court. They made the first decision that “There must be a new translation of the entire Bible, not just the Old Testament,” as the Episcopal, Geneva Bible, and Tyndale Version were the most recent. But the Church and the public desperately needed a universal copy so that all classes of British citizens could read the word of God. 44 scholars (or 47) were assigned to translate the “King James Bible”. This translation was first published in 1611.

King James, I died in 1625, he reigned for 22 years (1603-1625).

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James (1566-1625) James was a secular king of England, but his name is associated with Reformed Christianity. His identity was immortalized with a famous copy of the Bible, the "James Bible".

Vkx0mIP.png

After the death of Elizabeth I, the throne fell into the hands of James I, son of Mary Stuart, Queen of Scotland. James is the grandson who grew up in an old-fashioned but very principled atmosphere. He proclaimed an unforgettable question: "No bishop, no king." He was the king of two nations, ruling over two peoples, but between the two nations, the two peoples had no connection at all.

Under the reign of James I, England lived in peace and prosperity. He kept his policy of neutrality deftly, not letting his country fall into war with its neighbors. It is said that James I ruled by divine wisdom. Though authoritarian at times, he did not issue any edicts to incite the public to take to the streets. During this period, former Roman Catholics were reserved and operated in secrecy. But the Puritan sect thrived. The Radical Reform group grew larger and larger as they proposed a way that the Church and the state should never interfere in each other's internal affairs. Although the fire burned in Europe, the British people still "awakened him!

By the time James I changed his dealings with the Romans in March 104, the King had issued a strict (unknown) order that vehemently opposed the Roman clergy. A plot to assassinate the king led by Gui Faker was exposed, so he and his accomplices were arrested and executed. The Puritan group submitted a petition with 1000 signatures when the king visited London. The purpose of this hearing was to demand that James I immediately reform the Church of England. In January 1064, a conference of leading Puritan bishops was held at Hampton Court. They made the first decision that “There must be a new translation of the entire Bible, not just the Old Testament,” as the Episcopal, Geneva Bible, and Tyndale Version were the most recent. But the Church and the public desperately needed a universal copy so that all classes of British citizens could read the word of God. 44 scholars (or 47) were assigned to translate the “King James Bible”. This translation was first published in 1611.

Thanks for the insight on that sis. Good information, that we really should know. I now have a newfound respect for him, and historically I was very ignorant of what the King James version of the Bible really is. I remember when I thought it was the Bible, not just a version. Interestingly, I gave my first three talk assignments (Bible readings) using it. You might find that humorous, that sure takes me back in my memory. I remember the joy in my teachers face. He is still alive, and still my teacher, and I certainly love him.

Reactions: Jennifer Rogers

Jennifer Rogers

Mar 10, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the insight on that sis. Good information, that we really should know. I now have a newfound respect for him, and historically I was very ignorant of what the King James version of the Bible really is. I remember when I thought it was the Bible, not just a version. Interestingly, I gave my first three talk assignments (Bible readings) using it. You might find that humorous, that sure takes me back in my memory. I remember the joy in my teachers face. He is still alive, and still my teacher, and I certainly love him.
Thank you for your sharing. God will bless you and everyone around you.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In January 1064
I think you meant 1604?

The story of King James' life is fascinating. There were some very interesting attempts made on his life by witches and those among the evil Jesuits, if I'm not mistaking. Also, the King made a decree that anybody who printed a Bible without the Apocrypha would be imprisoned.

Gui Faker? Is this name correct? I've never heard of it and couldn't find anything on it.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Vkx0mIP.png

By the time James I changed his dealings with the Romans in March 104, the King had issued a strict (unknown) order that vehemently opposed the Roman clergy. A plot to assassinate the king led by Gui Faker was exposed, so he and his accomplices were arrested and executed. The Puritan group submitted a petition with 1000 signatures when the king visited London. The purpose of this hearing was to demand that James I immediately reform the Church of England. In January 1064, a conference of leading Puritan bishops was held at Hampton Court. They made the first decision that “There must be a new translation of the entire Bible, not just the Old Testament,” as the Episcopal, Geneva Bible, and Tyndale Version were the most recent. But the Church and the public desperately needed a universal copy so that all classes of British citizens could read the word of God. 44 scholars (or 47) were assigned to translate the “King James Bible”. This translation was first published in 1611.

If you have not seen it, I would suggest checking out this documentary.

KJB: The Book That Changed the World:
full

Trailer:
Watch Kjb - The Book That Changed The World | Prime Video

While they are not related to the KJB exclusively, I would also highly recommend checking out these other Christian documentaries, as well.

Exodus Revealed:
full

You can watch this documentary on YouTube here:

Mountain of Fire:
full

You can watch this documentary here on YouTube:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Vkx0mIP.png

I prefer to call myself “Core-KJB” (or “Foundational KJB”), and not KJB Only because I also find it extremely important to also read Modern English Bibles (to help update the archaic words in the KJB).
But I believe a Christian should have a final Word of authority.
I have discovered that the KJB is the most pure when compared to other English bibles, but yet at the same time I realize that the KJB has extremely difficult archaic words within it and so a Modern Bible is a must to help update what it is saying.

Some facts between the KJB vs. Modern Bibles:

#1. There are doctrinal differences between the KJB vs. Modern Bibles.
#2. There are corruptions in Modern bibles (major blatant mistakes, the devil's name is placed in Modern bibles where they don't belong, and how some Modern bibles make Jesus appear to sin).
#3. The history of Modern bibles has dark origins whereas the KJB has more good & honorable origins.

#1. See here for Doctrinal Differences Between the KJB vs. Modern Bibles.
Other doctrinal differences is that some Modern bibles teach that Jesus was a created second God in John 1:18 by calling Him the begotten God (instead of begotten Son), and that the Messiah in Micah 5:2 was from the distant past or ancient days instead of from everlasting (as the KJB correctly renders it). Some Modern bibles falsely teach that Jesus had faith (NIV) (CSB) (ISV) in the fact that they say He is the pioneer of our faith. Jesus is GOD and GOD cannot have faith in Himself. That's a contradiction. Our faith is to justify us before God for salvation. Jesus did not need salvation because He is salvation.

#2. For the blatant mistakes in Modern bibles:
full

See here to learn about how the devil tries to place his name in the Bible where it does not belong (in Modern Translations). See point #24 here for the verses on how Modern bibles make Jesus appear to sin.

#3. To check out the Dark Origins of Modern Bibles, see this documentary here:

full

Watch Bridge to Babylon | Prime Video

Keep in mind that this is just the tip of the iceberg of the dark origins of Modern Bibles. But again I am not saying you should not use Modern English bibles. I actually encourage you to use them, but be careful of what they say, though. To get a little more on what I am talking about, the Nestle & Aland Critical Text (used today for all Modern English bibles) is supervised (influenced) by the Vatican. You can learn about this in my post #53 within this thread.

Another King James Documentary I would recommend is this one.

Watch Kjb - The Book That Changed The World | Prime Video

The Forbidden Book:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you meant 1604?

The story of King James' life is fascinating. There were some very interesting attempts made on his life by witches and those among the evil Jesuits, if I'm not mistaking. Also, the King made a decree that anybody who printed a Bible without the Apocrypha would be imprisoned.

Gui Faker? Is this name correct? I've never heard of it and couldn't find anything on it.

It’s actually Guy Fawkes. He was a Catholic who created a super bomb to take out King James, and his translation. The amount of explosives he had if they went off were said to have taken out a good section of the city. By the grace of GOD, his attack was discovered, and the King James Bible has helped to be the chosen Bible in many English speaking countries for hundreds of years. While King James himself was not a perfect man, I believe GOD was able to use him mightily in bringing about the most beautifully poetic and highly accurate translation in human history.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hold to the possibility that the seven different purifications (Psalms 12:6-7) of the different seven KJB Editions were not errors exactly but they were improvements in clarity of what God wanted to say. In either case, it does not change the fact that we have a perfectly preserved Word of God that we can hold in our hands today and speak with authority from.

For that's what this is really about. The authority of God's Word.

Here are the seven purifications / seven MAJOR King James Bible editions viewpoint:

www.bibleprotector.com/forum • View topic - Seven major purifications of the KJB

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It should be Guy Fawkes. The poster has already been told this on another forum, but hasn't corrected it. Same with the dates.
Correct. I believe this poster is involved in plagiarism and is not attributing her posts to the people who actually wrote those articles.

It should be noted that while the Puritans were at the forefront of demanding a new translation in English directly out of the Hebrew and Greek, the actual translators were both Puritans and non-Puritans, but all were outstanding scholars and devout Christians. They ensured that readers would be able to distinguish between the words they inserted and the actual translation by placing those words in italics.

And even though there were other English translations, their primary objective was to make out of many translations one that could not be rightly objected against. And it is obvious that God blessed this translation mightily and made it the chief English translation of the Bible. Scholars of English literature treat the King James Bible as a classic and assert that it actually molded the English language.

While the name of King James I is associated with this Bible, for British Christians is was "the Authorized Version" "Appointed to be read in churches". The translators were not catering to James, since they had too much reverence for the Word of God and would not have allowed anyone to dictate how it should be translated.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Brief Look at
the KJV vs the Modern Translations
in American History:

Abraham Lincoln had used and quoted from a King James Bible.
Old school literary authors quoted from the King James Bible.
It's influence here in America can never be forgotten.

Riots broke out here in America over their desire of having the Catholic version of the Bible in public schools. One took place in 1844 in Philadelphia. Others took place at a later date in Cincinnati, Ohio.

What Bible were Catholics up against being used in school?

The King James Bible.

In 1852, the King James Bible was ruled in court fit for use in public schools since it was common to all Christians.

It wasn't until 1872 that the state of Ohio banned mandatory Bible reading in public schools. However, the United States Supreme Court did not ban the practice of reading the bible in public schools on a national level until 1962.

While these riots were one reason that resulted in the ultimate banning of Bible reading in public schools, another reason was the declining favor for the King James Bible over the slight rising increase of interest in Modern Translations.

In New England: The first major departure from the King James Bible (Textus Receptus) took place in 1881 with Westcott and Hort's Greek New Testament based on two Catholic manuscripts (The Codex Sinaiticus, and the Codex Vaticanus).

This English Revised Translation of the Old Testament done in 1885 (ERV) (Also known as the Revised Version - RV). The ERV or RV (Revised Version) was copyrighted in the United States in 1885 for publication here in America.

Note: No Modern Translation existed here in America before 1885.

The ERV was based on supposedly more advanced scholarship, but it sold poorly here in the United States.

So an effort was created to bring in the American Standard Version (ASV). It was launched in 1901. This version also was faced with a lack of success.

Then the Revised Standard Version (RSV) came out in 1947, and then the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) followed in 1971.

However, the perception of the “New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)” at this time was that it leaned more towards liberalism and ecumenism.

The last in line of these Modern Translations (mentioned here) was an implicit eucumenical translation that was intended to look good to Protestants, Catholics, and Orthodox Christians equally.

It was the NIV.

The NIV (The New International Version) released in 1973 was designed supposedly to return to the Protestant distinctiveness of the King James (Which was not true). The NIV was also designed with advances in supposedly trusted Biblical scholarship.

The NIV became the most popular Bibles ever with the American public, whereas all other versions up to this point attempted word for word translation, the NIV relied less on former translations that would be easier to understand for the average reader.

This is why the boom of Modern Bible movement went mainstream in the 1970's. It was because of the NIV. Then all the other popular candy coated Bible versions followed. Granted, I am not saying that should not to read and study from Modern Bibles, but I don’t believe they can be your final Word of authority (Especially when you compare it to the superiority of doctrine and purity of the King James Bible).

Jennifer Rogers

Mar 10, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct. I believe this poster is involved in plagiarism and is not attributing her posts to the people who actually wrote those articles.

It should be noted that while the Puritans were at the forefront of demanding a new translation in English directly out of the Hebrew and Greek, the actual translators were both Puritans and non-Puritans, but all were outstanding scholars and devout Christians. They ensured that readers would be able to distinguish between the words they inserted and the actual translation by placing those words in italics.

And even though there were other English translations, their primary objective was to make out of many translations one that could not be rightly objected against. And it is obvious that God blessed this translation mightily and made it the chief English translation of the Bible. Scholars of English literature treat the King James Bible as a classic and assert that it actually molded the English language.

While the name of King James I is associated with this Bible, for British Christians is was "the Authorized Version" "Appointed to be read in churches". The translators were not catering to James, since they had too much reverence for the Word of God and would not have allowed anyone to dictate how it should be translated.
Sorry, there was an error in my typing. And when I write articles, of course, I should also go through documents such as books, articles, and Bibles to be able to write. For someone who is researching a certain issue, it is not wrong to consult books. I consult the necessary opinions, but I do not plagiarize other people's articles. If I plagiarize someone else's work, you can easily find it on google. Besides, you also need to consider the time of posting if there are really articles like mine.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are actually Christians who actually hate the King James Bible. They exist. I have read their statements. They mock Christians for believing in a final Word of authority. Little do they realize that the KJB is the pinnacle of Bible history and so they must spit on where our Bible comes from in recent history. Some argue for the original language but they don’t really know these languages and they take it by faith in what the scholar says or they make up their own interpretation on what those languages say to defend their own beliefs they want to believe in. The alternative is to be under a final Word of authority that we cannot alter and or change.

Reactions: GEN2REV

Jennifer Rogers

Mar 10, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Brief Look at
the KJV vs the Modern Translations
in American History:

Abraham Lincoln had used and quoted from a King James Bible.
Old school literary authors quoted from the King James Bible.
It's influence here in America can never be forgotten.

Riots broke out here in America over their desire of having the Catholic version of the Bible in public schools. One took place in 1844 in Philadelphia. Others took place at a later date in Cincinnati, Ohio.

What Bible were Catholics up against being used in school?

The King James Bible.

In 1852, the King James Bible was ruled in court fit for use in public schools since it was common to all Christians.

It wasn't until 1872 that the state of Ohio banned mandatory Bible reading in public schools. However, the United States Supreme Court did not ban the practice of reading the bible in public schools on a national level until 1962.

While these riots were one reason that resulted in the ultimate banning of Bible reading in public schools, another reason was the declining favor for the King James Bible over the slight rising increase of interest in Modern Translations.

In New England: The first major departure from the King James Bible (Textus Receptus) took place in 1881 with Westcott and Hort's Greek New Testament based on two Catholic manuscripts (The Codex Sinaiticus, and the Codex Vaticanus).

This English Revised Translation of the Old Testament done in 1885 (ERV) (Also known as the Revised Version - RV). The ERV or RV (Revised Version) was copyrighted in the United States in 1885 for publication here in America.

Note: No Modern Translation existed here in America before 1885.

The ERV was based on supposedly more advanced scholarship, but it sold poorly here in the United States.

So an effort was created to bring in the American Standard Version (ASV). It was launched in 1901. This version also was faced with a lack of success.

Then the Revised Standard Version (RSV) came out in 1947, and then the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) followed in 1971.

However, the perception of the “New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)” at this time was that it leaned more towards liberalism and ecumenism.

The last in line of these Modern Translations (mentioned here) was an implicit eucumenical translation that was intended to look good to Protestants, Catholics, and Orthodox Christians equally.

It was the NIV.

The NIV (The New International Version) released in 1973 was designed supposedly to return to the Protestant distinctiveness of the King James (Which was not true). The NIV was also designed with advances in supposedly trusted Biblical scholarship.

The NIV became the most popular Bibles ever with the American public, whereas all other versions up to this point attempted word for word translation, the NIV relied less on former translations that would be easier to understand for the average reader.

This is why the boom of Modern Bible movement went mainstream in the 1970's. It was because of the NIV. Then all the other popular candy coated Bible versions followed. Granted, I am not saying that should not to read and study from Modern Bibles, but I don’t believe they can be your final Word of authority (Especially when you compare it to the superiority of doctrine and purity of the King James Bible).
Thank you for the useful material. God bless you!

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, there was an error in my typing. And when I write articles, of course, I should also go through documents such as books, articles, and Bibles to be able to write. For someone who is researching a certain issue, it is not wrong to consult books. I consult the necessary opinions, but I do not plagiarize other people's articles. If I plagiarize someone else's work, you can easily find it on google. Besides, you also need to consider the time of posting if there are really articles like mine.

You could say I was fortunate to be on another forum whereby they did not allow you to copy and paste from an article without providing the source link to that article (without getting in trouble). So they taught me the value in giving people credit where credit is due. Anyways, if a teacher caught Bob for quoting a work from others and it was not his own, he would get a failing grade for plagiarism. Anyways, if you do copy an article in the future, I would encourage you to provide a source link to the article in your post (Just in case you may do so).

Last edited: