why an alar?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
why the alar?

there's no altar mentioned in Abel's offering that God had respect for. there's no mention of an altar until after the flood with Noah. of which there's no instruction mentioned in scripture that God tells any one to build and altar until Jacob is told to revisit Bethel.

Gen 35:1 And God said unto Jacob, Arise, go up to Bethel, and dwell there: and make there an altar unto God, that appeared unto thee when thou fleddest from the face of Esau thy brother.

so why an altar at all?

Reactions: Truth and bbyrd009

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Leviticus 1:5, You are to slaughter the young bull before the Lord, and then Aaron’s sons the priests shall bring the blood and splash it against the sides of the altar at the entrance to the tent of meeting.

The above is a shadow of Jesus. Jesus' blood is still on the altar and it makes Jesus the Christ.

Reactions: Helen

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Leviticus 1:5, You are to slaughter the young bull before the Lord, and then Aaron’s sons the priests shall bring the blood and splash it against the sides of the altar at the entrance to the tent of meeting.

The above is a shadow of Jesus. Jesus' blood is still on the altar and it makes Jesus the Christ.

but Jesus was hung on a cross He wasn't placed on an altar. so why an altar at all?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the masculine noun מזבח (mizbeah), literally meaning "place of slaughter". This is the word for altar.

there are a lot of places for slaughter. even the ground itself

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fact of the matter is simply that Scripture just doesn't tell us.

really? since Jesus is intercessor and Son of God, and Adam was to be son of God (of which didn't happen) just what was man to be in the earth for God's will before Adam fell? and again Jesus being intercessor He's the go between, the go between Heaven and earth. and seeing Jesus being from Heaven and Heaven is higher then earth, Heaven being God's throne and earth His footstool, and we being in the earth and of earth as God left us with ashes to ashes dust to dust. just where is God's offering offered?

don't you know that man was given God's place in the earth? dominion over every living thing He made.

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
but Jesus was hung on a cross He wasn't placed on an altar. so why an altar at all?

Hebrews 9:22, In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

Ephesians 1:7, In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace

Blood comes from a perfect, spotless sacrifice and the blood was placed on the altar. Blood anywhere else was useless.

Leviticus 17:11, For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves ON THE ALTAR; it is the blood that makes atonement for one’s life.

If there is no altar then why have a crucified Saviour?

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Simple explanation. At some point in mankind's early history (between Abel and Noah), altars were invented to make the offering of sacrifices easier. Once altars existed, they became part of the 'culture' of worship and God could instruct people to make them.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simple explanation. At some point in mankind's early history (between Abel and Noah), altars were invented to make the offering of sacrifices easier. Once altars existed, they became part of the 'culture' of worship and God could instruct people to make them.

where's your reference to that?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 9:22, In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

Ephesians 1:7, In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace

Blood comes from a perfect, spotless sacrifice and the blood was placed on the altar. Blood anywhere else was useless.

Leviticus 17:11, For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves ON THE ALTAR; it is the blood that makes atonement for one’s life.

If there is no altar then why have a crucified Saviour?

the savoir was crucified on the cross, why have an altar? hello

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
why the alar?

there's no altar mentioned in Abel's offering that God had respect for. there's no mention of an altar until after the flood with Noah. of which there's no instruction mentioned in scripture that God tells any one to build and altar until Jacob is told to revisit Bethel.

Gen 35:1 And God said unto Jacob, Arise, go up to Bethel, and dwell there: and make there an altar unto God, that appeared unto thee when thou fleddest from the face of Esau thy brother.

so why an altar at all?

I believe It Became Like a Miner's Claim Marker, The Alter touches the Earth, and the Earth is God's, IMO

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
make there an altar unto God, that appeared unto thee when thou fleddest from the face of Esau thy brother.
Jacob must fulfill the lesson described in his interactions with his brother, wherein he gave him some "red stuff" for his inheritance. Altars go with red stuff (and the deceived)

I desire mercy, not sacrifice

Last edited:
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jacob must fulfill the lesson described in his interactions with his brother, wherein he gave him some "red stuff" for his inheritance. Altars go with red stuff (and the deceived)

I desire mercy, not sacrifice

Genesis 25:28-32
[28] And Isaac loved Esau, because he did eat of his venison: but Rebekah loved Jacob. [29] And Jacob sod pottage: and Esau came from the field, and he was faint: [30] And Esau said to Jacob, Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage ; for I am faint: therefore was his name called Edom. [31] And Jacob said, Sell me this day thy birthright. [32] And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me?

I desire mercy, not sacrifice.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
[28] And Isaac loved Esau, because he did eat of his venison: but Rebekah loved Jacob. [29] And Jacob sod pottage: and Esau came from the field, and he was faint: [30] And Esau said to Jacob, Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage ; for I am faint: therefore was his name called Edom. [31] And Jacob said, Sell me this day thy birthright. [32] And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me?
couple of things should become evident at some point, reading the passage; the "man" loved Esau (Edom, Adam), but the "woman" Rebekah (A Rope With A Noose, perhaps) loved Jacob (Heel Grabber); also, more obviously, Esau was "faint," not dying or anything, pretty light justification for selling one's "inheritance."

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
couple of things should become evident at some point, reading the passage; the "man" loved Esau (Edom, Adam), but the "woman" Rebekah (A Rope With A Noose, perhaps) loved Jacob (Heel Grabber); also, more obviously, Esau was "faint," not dying or anything, pretty light justification for selling one's "inheritance."

Yes. But to risk sounding completely insane one might suggest: Isaac: the Son "man" loved Esau, but the Spirit (wisdom/truth) loved Jacob (the heel grabber). Esau was faint from the field and since his birth right did Him no good since he would surely die, Jacob (Spirit) purchased the birthright given to the original man(Adam).

First birthright given to man to rule on earth: Genesis 1:28-29
[28] And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. [29] And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

Man(flesh) gave up the birthright to sin. The Spirit purchased that birthright to dominion and fruit bearing seed through crucified flesh(the Lamb).

Now the Spirit rules over flesh and has dominion:

Genesis 1:28-29
[28] And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. [29] And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

Spiritual fruit.
Spiritual multiplying.
Spiritual seed.
Spiritual meat: righteousness and peace.

Question is what is: "Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage ; for I am faint:" that Jacob ate of?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Esau was faint from the field and since his birth right did Him no good since he would surely die, Jacob (Spirit) purchased the birthright given to the original man(Adam).
i know this is what tassel-toes teaches us, but Esau walked in there just fine, right. We don't read that he crawled in and collapsed or anything. Esau is representing, just like Jacob. And Spirit (supposedly, according to your understanding) had not purchased the birthright yet anyway right. "I'm about to die" is Esau's perspective, not truth iow