Why Are There Always One Or Two Cops At "big Church"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Endzone

May 7, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I mean these mega churches and even medium size churches in TX always have a cop there--even on weeknights. Why? It never used to be like this. Anybody have any thoughts about that? And TX is a right to carry a firearm state.

Paul

Aug 19, 2006
I mean these mega churches and even medium size churches in TX always have a cop there--even on weeknights. Why? It never used to be like this. Anybody have any thoughts about that? And TX is a right to carry a firearm state.

Well, big churches likely receive big offerings so their will be money around. They also have valuable sound equipment, computers, maybe wine, etc. Some churches use cops for traffic control. Some cops even go to church.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I assume that you mean there is a cop in or near the sanctuary, in addition to the one or two out in the street directing traffic.

We've got the same situation here in Florida. There's usually more than one if there is a pitch for a bond issue, building program or simply a request for pledges.

Do the leaders anticipate that a riot will break out when they ask for money? There certainly isn't any present at the time of asking.

pastorlesofm

Community Guide
Jun 28, 2008
Central New York State
I assume that you mean there is a cop in or near the sanctuary, in addition to the one or two out in the street directing traffic.

We've got the same situation here in Florida. There's usually more than one if there is a pitch for a bond issue, building program or simply a request for pledges.

Do the leaders anticipate that a riot will break out when they ask for money? There certainly isn't any present at the time of asking.

In this day and age it is a must to have police or security guards, I remember Pastor John Hagee telling of a time a man came into Cornerstone Church , during the sermon , walked up to the pulpit and pointed a gun at Pastor Hagee and fired, but thank God he missed, also a package at the Post Office meant for Pastor Hagee turned out to be a bomb. Remember the shooting in a church, which killed the Pastor and a couple of congregates, was stopped from further injuries or deaths by a security guard.. John Hagee now has body guards that stand on each side of the pulpit. This is due to the demeaning of Christianity by Hollywood, and the main stream media. Pastor are seen as nuts, thieves, and / or moilesters. Specially those who preach the Gospel, truthfully, who refuse to tickle ears. Billy Graham tells of a time when he was staying at a hotel, during one of his crusades, a liberal reporter (female) asked Billy for an interview. Billy agreed, the reporter suggested they go to his room to do the interview, Billy sensed something wrong and insisted they do the interview in the hotel lobby or a resturant. Imagine how the interview would have turned out if Billy had agreed to the reporter's suggested? Billy did remind the reporter that he was happily married. Many pastors have wised up to how Satan works. A pastor friend of mind told me of a time a woman who attended his church , called the pastor to ask to speak to him, if he would come over to her house. Good thing he brought his wife with him, as she was barely dressed when she answered the door. In these cases I have a couple of christian women meet along with me, so no image of sin is available. If the woman is married I arrange the meeting when the husband is available. So it is not just guards and police today, it is also the wisdom that can only come from the Lord, to be safe, in this time and day.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[bible=Matthew 10:22]
and you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.
[/bible]

It goes back to this verse and something Christ himself encountered. There will be those that hate and will go well beyond. Security is necessary in this day and age, unfortunately.

revdw76

Jan 12, 2010
Richland City, Indiana
Amen Brother. Pretty much anywhere that a small group gathers especially in most cities it seems that someone starts a fight or maybe start destroying property so that is why there is more security. In the past couple of months the Scottish Rite Cathedral here in Evansville has had fight break out on their property by people invited to a function that someone has rented the building out for.
Another problem some places is facing is the fact that many police and sheriff depts. have started restricting or banning the officers from doing off duty security work for various reasons so the need for private security firms is higher, but in INdiana many of these companies officers are not given the power to carry guns or to detain or arrest people unless they have police training and authorization.

All in all things are getting worse, people see churches of any size as easy pickings as well as some other spots so they think that its "have at it and to hell with what happens", we need to pray for God to protect us all the time.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
It is a shame that churches have always been targets as they usually had plenty of silverwhere and of course lead on the roof. We have a real problem in England with lead thieves. In our church we had a matching pair of chairs that were positioned in the sancuary for visits from the Bishop and Archedeacan and one of them has been stolen and we even had a altar cross go missing. Traditionally the church of England hs kept its churches open 24/7 in case anyone might want to go in a nd pray, but now they are all locked up at night and many; mine included are only open when there is a service.

With regards to the church cops; I don't really think armed gaurds in a church conveys a good Christian message but will act as a deterrant.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
In this day and age it is a must to have police or security guards, I remember Pastor John Hagee telling of a time a man came into Cornerstone Church , during the sermon , walked up to the pulpit and pointed a gun at Pastor Hagee and fired, but thank God he missed, also a package at the Post Office meant for Pastor Hagee turned out to be a bomb. Remember the shooting in a church, which killed the Pastor and a couple of congregates, was stopped from further injuries or deaths by a security guard.. John Hagee now has body guards that stand on each side of the pulpit. This is due to the demeaning of Christianity by Hollywood, and the main stream media. Pastor are seen as nuts, thieves, and / or moilesters. Specially those who preach the Gospel, truthfully, who refuse to tickle ears. Billy Graham tells of a time when he was staying at a hotel, during one of his crusades, a liberal reporter (female) asked Billy for an interview. Billy agreed, the reporter suggested they go to his room to do the interview, Billy sensed something wrong and insisted they do the interview in the hotel lobby or a resturant. Imagine how the interview would have turned out if Billy had agreed to the reporter's suggested? Billy did remind the reporter that he was happily married. Many pastors have wised up to how Satan works. A pastor friend of mind told me of a time a woman who attended his church , called the pastor to ask to speak to him, if he would come over to her house. Good thing he brought his wife with him, as she was barely dressed when she answered the door. In these cases I have a couple of christian women meet along with me, so no image of sin is available. If the woman is married I arrange the meeting when the husband is available. So it is not just guards and police today, it is also the wisdom that can only come from the Lord, to be safe, in this time and day.

I have often been ridiculed for this same stance Pastorlesofm. I refuse to be alone with anyone of the opposite sex, no matter what the engagment. Some feel that it is extremist thinking, or fear of falling into sin. It may be classifed either way, but I am admonished to aviod all appearances of evil as well. No man is above temptation, and he that thinks he stands, beware. Thank you for this post.
fivesense

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
It is a shame that churches have always been targets as they usually had plenty of silverwhere and of course lead on the roof. We have a real problem in England with lead thieves. In our church we had a matching pair of chairs that were positioned in the sancuary for visits from the Bishop and Archedeacan and one of them has been stolen and we even had a altar cross go missing. Traditionally the church of England hs kept its churches open 24/7 in case anyone might want to go in a nd pray, but now they are all locked up at night and many; mine included are only open when there is a service.

With regards to the church cops; I don't really think armed gaurds in a church conveys a good Christian message but will act as a deterrant.

Acts of thievery began to be common in America in the 1960's and 1970's. Congregations began to lock their doors when their buildings weren't in use. There was some discussion about how it wasn't Christian to do so, but that subsided after a while. People who are street wise understand the need for locked doors. It isn't an issue with them.

I don't like seeing police in church either and have my own opinions about it.

It's a sign of the pretension of wealth.

For good or evil, right or wrong, only the wealthy churchs can afford such 'protection'. Poor congregations cannot.
Armed protection may be arguably necessary, but as always its the poor who are targeted for abuse and who suffer most.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Security is an illusion...
But mostly it is for harassment issues and an illusion for those that would break into cars while everyone is in class or listening to the sermon.

Also as an example:
We have had transvestites come into Sunday School classes and try to be the "teacher/preacher for the day" and all sorts of wackos come into services.

There are more situations such as this...But we also have those that might wish to break in during the week to steal flat screen monitors...sound equipment...computers...any number of things. It isn't that our church is in a bad part of town but that it is a very large building and relatively few people inside of it. Mostly though our security/policeman is there for the comfort of the secretaries and any others that breathe easier due to his presence.

I know and like our security guard. He is a really nice guy. He does a very proficient and difficult job of dealing with many of the issues that can arise at our church both during the week and on weekends.
Yeah...so our church can afford his salary...IMHO he is one of the few that really deserve both the job and the money he earns. Now if we can get the pastoral staff to do the same quality job he does...we would have it made.

pastorlesofm

Community Guide
Jun 28, 2008
Central New York State
Security is an illusion...
But mostly it is for harassment issues and an illusion for those that would break into cars while everyone is in class or listening to the sermon.

Also as an example:
We have had transvestites come into Sunday School classes and try to be the "teacher/preacher for the day" and all sorts of wackos come into services.

There are more situations such as this...But we also have those that might wish to break in during the week to steal flat screen monitors...sound equipment...computers...any number of things. It isn't that our church is in a bad part of town but that it is a very large building and relatively few people inside of it. Mostly though our security/policeman is there for the comfort of the secretaries and any others that breathe easier due to his presence.

I know and like our security guard. He is a really nice guy. He does a very proficient and difficult job of dealing with many of the issues that can arise at our church both during the week and on weekends.
Yeah...so our church can afford his salary...IMHO he is one of the few that really deserve both the job and the money he earns. Now if we can get the pastoral staff to do the same quality job he does...we would have it made.

Sounds like your pastors are doing their jobs, causing sinners to enter your church, hopefully searching for the Savior. Thank God even if they have motives you may not like or understand, be assured Jesus has a motive too for drawing them in. This is where we separate the sinner from the sin as the Lord does and love and pray for the sinner. Sounds like the Lord led you to a great church for Him to use you.