Why are there so many versions of the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
Who was it talking about twistin words? Says no such thing.

Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Joh 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Denying the truth foe the sake of your religion. When will teh lies end.
Here's a little hermeneutical rule you might want to take note of:
When Jesus instructed the crowds - He was instructing ALL of us.
When He gave instructions to the Twelve - He was instructing the LEADERS of His Church.

Just like when Jesus gave THEM the power to forgive sins (John 20:21-23) - He wasn't speaking to ALL of us - otherwise, He would have given that Authority to the crowds..

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So bound by your religion,

Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

Sometimes christianity seems to make such a mockery of all His suffering and His works.

All you do is glorify "your" church not Him.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
So bound by your religion,

Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

Sometimes christianity seems to make such a mockery of all His suffering and His works.

And, instead of actual answers, most of your posts consist of your twisting of Scripture to your own destruction.
Remember - the Bible condemns the Lone Ranger Christianity that you advocate (Heb. 10:25, 1 Cor. 12).

Everything I have said has been believed and taught by Christ's Church for 2000 years.
YOUR perverted beliefs only came into being over the last 100 or so years . . .

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
BreadOfLife said:
As I have educated you on other threads -
do you really think you can talk down to people like this, and still impart anything to them? I find nothing wrong with your views tbh, except that they are applied to a worldly definition of "Church." How can you "educate" when you demonstrate that you do not know? And your words do not even line up with the Book? 23bChrist also is the Head of the Church, being indeed the Saviour of this His Body.

BreadOfLife said:
the Church is . . .

[SIZE=12pt]Jesus established ONE Church (Matt. 16:16-19). He prayed fervently that this Church remain ONE - as He and the Father are ONE (John 17:20-23).
There is NO other.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Jesus is Truth itself (John 14:6).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Jesus promised His Church that the Holy Spirit would guide her to ALL
Truth (John 16:12-15).
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The Church is the Pillar and Foundation of Truth (1 Tim. 3:15).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The Church is the Body of Christ and He is the Head (1 Cor. 12:12-31,
Eph. 4:3-6, Col. 1:8).
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The Church is the FULLNESS of Christ (Eph. 1:22-23).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Jesus identifies His very SELF with His Church (Acts 9:4-5).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Jesus gave the Church supreme Authority on earth and whatever it ordains on earth is also ordained in heaven (Matt. 16:18-19, 18:15-18, Luke 10:16, John 20:21-23).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]those are all really nice verses, that will not serve you imo if you have a perverted definition of "Church," and you are calling some guys on earth "Father," and accepting their "penance" in your walk. This is not Christian--which i do not mean as denigration, although i guess you will take it personally. But i love Catholics, ok, i don't mean it that way. Why you seek to be considered a Western Christian so stridently i don't quite get? It's not like any Christian sects follow the Book, either. Imo you would do better to highlight the concepts that Catholics shine at, and abandon this hypocrisy of trying to conflate Catholicism with Christianity.[/SIZE]

As for confessing to a priest - please interpret the following passage:

John 20:21-23
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.”
And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit.
Whose sins YOU forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins YOU retain are retained.”
what would be the point? We can only contend here, and tear each other up; i don't want to do this. If you believe in an intermediary between you and Christ, and you call another human "Father," then i will debate with him, as imo you have disqualified yourself. I would reiterate that this is not Christian, except it seems to me that most "Christians" do this as well. Now, since i guess that will be read as some kind of condemnation, when i don't really mean that, i'll just say that it is a manifestation, and God is guiding us into a better understanding as we speak, imo (the Muslims are coming).

Imo Catholicism is a vital part of the Church, and there is much to learn from them, ok.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
mjrhealth said:

amen. This is "team spirit," not "Holy Spirit." The "other team" then becomes "anyone who disagrees with your doctrine," regardless of their hearts--which is what God judges--and are marked for destruction. And you will manifest where you are spiritually with this concept in every aspect of your life, and denying it just makes you into a hypocrite. We seek a king to fight our battles for us because we perceive enemies, that do not exist, even though they do appear to. And we instill this into our children, who become afraid of the dark, and never really outgrow this.

Understand why God cannot even hear you in the day when you cry out for relief from your king; because your cries are hypocritical, and cannot be answered. No, your king cannot be made to conform to your desires; it simply does not work that way. Kings fight your battles for you, and this is not God's Way. What you resist, persists. There is not even any question in that model, that your worst nightmares will come true; it is a Scriptural promise. The cure is to stop having nightmares, that you bring upon yourself. How one can confidently assure a toddler that there is nothing to fear in the darkness, yet cannot apply this lesson to themselves, is somewhat beyond me tbh. The Monster is in The Mirror, not under the bed, which is why what you most fear must come upon you, guaranteed, every time, without fail.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
amen. This is "team spirit," not "Holy Spirit." The "other team" then becomes "anyone who disagrees with your doctrine," regardless of their hearts--which is what God judges--and are marked for destruction. And you will manifest where you are spiritually with this concept in every aspect of your life, and denying it just makes you into a hypocrite. We seek a king to fight our battles for us because we perceive enemies, that do not exist, even though they do appear to. And we instill this into our children, who become afraid of the dark, and never really outgrow this.

Understand why God cannot even hear you in the day when you cry out for relief from your king; because your cries are hypocritical, and cannot be answered. No, your king cannot be made to conform to your desires; it simply does not work that way. Kings fight your battles for you, and this is not God's Way. What you resist, persists. There is not even any question in that model, that your worst nightmares will come true; it is a Scriptural promise. The cure is to stop having nightmares, that you bring upon yourself. How one can confidently assure a toddler that there is nothing to fear in the darkness, yet cannot apply this lesson to themselves, is somewhat beyond me tbh. The Monster is in The Mirror, not under the bed, which is why what you most fear must come upon you, guaranteed, every time, without fail.
And this is just another example of a person who doesn't understand what the Church is.
The Church isn't a "team" - it is the Body of Christ (1 Cor. 12, Col. 1:18).

In Acts 9:4-5, Jesus equated the Church with His very SELF.
Paul calls the Church, the FULLNESS of Christ (Eph. 1:22-23) and the pillar and foundation of Truth (1 Tim. 3:15).

In Luke 10:16, he tells the leaders or His Church:
"Whoever listens to YOU listens to ME and whoever rejects YOU rejects ME - and whoever rejects ME rejects the ONE who sent me."

If you still think that Christ's Church and Christ are 2 separate entities - then YOU don't know Christ . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
do you really think you can talk down to people like this, and still impart anything to them? I find nothing wrong with your views tbh, except that they are applied to a worldly definition of "Church." How can you "educate" when you demonstrate that you do not know? And your words do not even line up with the Book? 23bChrist also is the Head of [the Church, being indeed the Saviour of this His Body.
I talk this way to people like YOU to expose you because of all of the lies you spew.
There are people who come here in search of the truth – only to find people like YOU spreading falsehoods about the Church.

They have a right to know the truth and don’t deserve to be lied to.
bbyrd009 said:
those are all really nice verses, that will not serve you imo if you have a perverted definition of "Church," and you are calling some guys on earth "Father," and accepting their "penance" in your walk. This is not Christian--which i do not mean as denigration, although i guess you will take it personally. But i love Catholics, ok, i don't mean it that way. Why you seek to be considered a Western Christian so stridently i don't quite get? It's not like any Christian sects follow the Book, either. Imo you would do better to highlight the concepts that Catholics shine at, and abandon this hypocrisy of trying to conflate Catholicism with Christianity.
No - they aren’t “really nice verses”. They are the TRUTH.

As for your comparison of Christian vs. Catholic – this is an oxymoron.
Catholics were the very FIRST Christians – some 1500 years before YOUR Protestant sects.

Do your homework and learn the truth . . .

bbyrd009 said:
mean that, i'll just say that it is a manifestation, and God is guiding us into a better understanding as we speak, imo (the Muslims are coming).

Imo Catholicism is a vital part of the Church, and there is much to learn from them, ok.
[SIZE=11.5pt]No – you [/SIZE]won’t [SIZE=11.5pt]interpret this passage of Scripture because you [/SIZE]CAN’T[SIZE=11.5pt].[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]If you did – then you would have to come to the realization that the Catholic Church has been correct for 2000 years – and that would be unthinkable to you. This passage, Jesus gives the leaders of His Church the power to forgive sins in His name – and YOU can’t handle it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]As for calling a priest “Father” – can you point me to the chapter and verse of Scripture that forbids this?? Sounds to me like you are perverting the words of Jesus in Matt. 23:9. Time for a Bible lesson . . . [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]Does Jesus warn against this practice in Matt. 23:9?
What, then, are we to call the man who sired or raised us or the person who taught us in school?
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]In the verse that precedes this (Matt: 23:8), Jesus tells us not to call people “Teachers”. Is Jesus telling us that we can’t call certain people "fathers" or “teachers” when they may actually be fathers or teachers? Absolutely NOT. He is telling us that no man is to be considered father above our Father in heaven and no person is to be considered teacher above our Teacher in heaven. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]Jesus was speaking about the Scribes and Pharisees who exalted themselves before all: “They love places of honor at banquets, seats of honor in synagogues, greetings in marketplaces, and the salutation 'Rabbi” (Matt 23:6-7).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]Consider the following passages:
1. Jesus said, “Your
[/SIZE]father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.” (John 8:56).
[SIZE=11.5pt]2. St. Stephen refers to "our father Abraham," (Acts 7:2).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]3. St. Paul speaks of "our father Isaac” (Romans 9:10).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]4. [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt] For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel[/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]" (1 Cor. 4:14–15).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]5. [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt] "For this I was appointed a preacher and apostle . . . a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth" [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt](1 Tim. 2:7).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]6. [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt] "For this gospel I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher" [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt](2 Tim. 1:11).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]7. [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]"God has appointed in the church first Apostles, second prophets, third teachers" [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt](1 Cor. 12:28).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]Finally – God COMMANDS us to:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]“Honor your FATHER and mother” (Exod. 20:12)[/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt].

YOU have done nothing but pervert the words of Jesus, causing the state of confusion that you are in.
[/SIZE]

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BreadOfLife said:
And, instead of actual answers, most of your posts consist of your twisting of Scripture to your own destruction.
Remember - the Bible condemns the Lone Ranger Christianity that you advocate (Heb. 10:25, 1 Cor. 12).

Everything I have said has been believed and taught by Christ's Church for 2000 years.
YOUR perverted beliefs only came into being over the last 100 or so years . . .
I will ask this... If you want others to believe what you believe, you should really take a different approach. I have now read countless posts by you where you stomp others into the ground for not believing what you believe. You dont have any warning points yet, but you are well on your way. A non-RCC member has been ousted before for doing the same thing to an RCC believer that you are doing. So dont think you are above it. You are on a largely protestant site. You knew this when you signed up. If you have come here to stir the pot, I can quickly remedy that for you.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Born_Again said:
I will ask this... If you want others to believe what you believe, you should really take a different approach. I have now read countless posts by you where you stomp others into the ground for not believing what you believe. You dont have any warning points yet, but you are well on your way. A non-RCC member has been ousted before for doing the same thing to an RCC believer that you are doing. So dont think you are above it. You are on a largely protestant site. You knew this when you signed up. If you have come here to stir the pot, I can quickly remedy that for you.
I don't "stomp" on people for not believing what I believe in. I have many charitable conversations with Protestants and atheists who want to engage in charitable dialog. However, when a person spews blatant falsehoods about what the Catholic Church teaches or about history - I expose them. In some cases they recant their falsehoods when they are shown the facts - but in most cases, they continue to spread lies.

I'm not trying to convert anyone - just to set the record straight so that we can have an intelligent, well-informed and charitable exchange.
This forum is called "Christianityboard". not "Anti-Catholicboard". Shouldn't it be against the rules to purposely goad people into an argument by posting lies?

Just a thought . . .

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If you still think that Christ's Church and Christ are 2 separate entities - then YOU don't know Christ . . .
Its just not yours, as you said "its teh body" its made up of all believers" its not an institution.

as for knowing Christ, those who do know Him walk with Him He is always with them He dosent need 500 people betwen Him and you to have a disscussion that whay it says,

Joh_10:26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
Joh_10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

So you can follow your leaders we will follow Christ

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
Its just not yours, as you said "its teh body" its made up of all believers" its not an institution.
Then WHICH Church is the True Church??
Surely, you must be able to answer that . . .

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Then WHICH Church is the True Church??
Surely, you must be able to answer that . . .
Answered it soooo many times, its just not the amwer you want to hear, not even Jesus vcan convice you.

mjrhealth, on 27 Jan 2017 - 07:29 AM, said:
mjrhealth said:
See you even quoted it.

Of course we could all just stand in opposition to God and "lie" and tell you it is yours to make you happy, but wont save you in teh end.

Act 7:48 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,
Act 7:49 Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?
Act 7:50 Hath not my hand made all these things?
Act 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

2Ti_4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Ti_4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Can go on telling you as it is but ut wont matter your mind is alrady made up, your "truth" is set in stone, and unbending even in opposition to that waht it true but it makes you proud and happy.

Enjoy

A book for you all to read

Gods War by Christoper Tyerman, a scholar with big words i cant pronounce, has lots of references in teh back and another Jerusalem teh Biography by simon sebag and if thats not enough , :The Popes" by John Julius Norwich quiet recent edition.

Have fun reading

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
Answered it soooo many times, its just not the amwer you want to hear, not even Jesus vcan convice you.

mjrhealth, on 27 Jan 2017 - 07:29 AM, said:
See you even quoted it.

Of course we could all just stand in opposition to God and "lie" and tell you it is yours to make you happy, but wont save you in teh end.

Act 7:48 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,
Act 7:49 Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?
Act 7:50 Hath not my hand made all these things?
Act 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

2Ti_4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Ti_4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Can go on telling you as it is but ut wont matter your mind is alrady made up, your "truth" is set in stone, and unbending even in opposition to that waht it true but it makes you proud and happy.
[SIZE=11.5pt]So THAT’s your answer?? That the Church is made up of “ALL believers”??[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]Can you show me where the BIBLE says that??[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]You see – MY Bible says that even the demons believe (James 2:19).
Are THEY part of the Church??
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]Happy hunting . . .[/SIZE]

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
[SIZE=11.5pt]You see – MY Bible says that even the demons believe (James 2:19).
Are THEY part of the Church??
[/SIZE]
Well they certainly have benig a part of yours since it inception

[SIZE=11.5pt]So THAT’s your answer?? That the Church is made up of “ALL believers”??[/SIZE]
.Well is suppose it is not made up of believers, than doesnt your church believe???

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
Well they certainly have benig a part of yours since it inception

.Well is suppose it is not made up of believers, than doesnt your church believe???
Ahhhh, another non-response.
Try to post something of substance in your responses while I try desperately to get past your woeful abuse of grammar and spelling . . .

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ahhhh, another non-response.
Try to post something of substance in your responses while I try desperately to get past your woeful abuse of grammar and spelling . .
Not here to impress you by no means.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
One the great church historians of the nineteenth century, German Lutheran scholar Adolf Harnack, bemoaned the ignorance his mainly Lutheran university students displayed of Catholicism:

I am convinced from constant experience of the fact that the students who leave our schools have the most disconnected and absurd ideas about ecclesiastical history. Some of them know something about Gnosticism, or about other curious and for them worthless details. But of the Catholic Church, the greatest religious and political creation known to history, they know absolutely nothing, and they indulge in its regard in wholly trivial, vague, and often directly nonsensical notions.

As a former Protestant minister who has spent the past twenty-four years studying the Catholic Faith, I can testify that, while Harnack’s assessment may be harshly worded, it’s accurate.

When most modern Evangelicals think about Catholicism, what they have in their minds isn’t Catholicism at all but an absurd caricature, a muddle of indistinct ideas and distorted images born of mistaken impressions and false assumptions. As to the inner logic of Catholicism as a system of thought—not to mention the case for it being true—the vast majority hasn’t a clue.

This was true for me as well. Although I knew something of what Catholics believed, I knew nothing of the case that Catholic theologians and apologists make for the truth of what Catholics believe. And because of this, conversion involved a lot of learning. Actually, it involved the rethinking of my entire worldview as a Christian, from the ground floor up.

Of course, this included thinking hard about what exactly constituted the “ground floor” for me as a Protestant.

Confusing conversations

If you’ve ever had the pleasure of discussing Catholicism with a somewhat knowledgeable Protestant, you may have noticed how taxing the conversation can be. Why is that?

Well, you say, it’s exhausting simply because there are so many issues about which we disagree. Where do you begin—Peter and the keys? Apostolic succession? The rule of bishops in the Church? The sacramental priesthood? Justification by grace through faithful obedience? Sacramental theology? Infant baptism? The Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist? The Mass as a sacrifice? Confession to a priest? The Marian doctrines? The communion of saints? Contraception? Monastic vows?

After all, we’re both Christians. We both believe in the inspiration and authority of Sacred Scripture. And yet we seem to be coming from different places. We seem to disagree not only about what the true teachings of Christianity are but on how to go about deciding what they are.
We’re like two carpenters debating the length of a board while using different standards of measurement.
We’re like two people standing on the beach, one wearing rose-colored glasses and other amber-colored, and arguing about the color of the sunset.

read more here

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BreadOfLife said:
WRONG.

Paul doesn't "always" preface what the OT says with "it is written" or something similar.
We see evidence of this in 2 Cor. 13:1-2, where he alludes directly to Deut. 17:6 when he speaks of the necessity of the testimony of 2 witnesses.

it is abundantly clear to any honest person that Paul lifted the "Armor of God" reference in Eph. 6:13-17 from Wisdom 5:17-20.
Well, it is clear only to those who want to believe it. Paul lifted nothing from Wisdom. Dream on.

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
how can something political not be "in the world?"
Huh??
We are ALL in the world.
We're not supposed to be OF the world.