Why Are You There?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

hldude33

Apr 28, 2010
"Why Are You There?"
By Zach Wood
John 6:1-2

I think sometimes in our walk with Christ, we must really take some time to ask ourselves “why do I go to church”? Ask yourself “why am I there on Sundays”? This is not a question to bring any guilt to you at all. Many times through the Gospels, Jesus asks questions to separate the fans from the followers.

Here Jesus is in the height of His ministry and we read that large crowds were following Jesus because He was very popular and was working miracles. In John 6, He was providing a feast for this crowd from just five loaves of bread and a couple fish. In verse 2 it just says they were coming “because they saw the miraculous signs he had performed on the sick.” The main reason the crowds were showing up was because of the spectacle. They didn’t care as much about the teaching and the life changing lesson. They were there for the show.

So, why do you go to church? What is your “because”? Is it because you think the seats are comfortable, or you really like the music? Is it because you like the chit-chat and the friends your kids make? These things are great for awhile, but at some point the relationship must be defined. Why are you there?

Take a look at John 6:66. Jesus is talking about being the bread of life and what it means to follow Him. Many went away because Jesus says, “Let’s define what we’ve got here,” and what He offered isn’t what they wanted.

He wants there to be a point where you define the relationship. Why are you there? Because …? For Jesus, his because is that He wants to have a deep relationship with you.

This past Sunday, I started a new sermon series with my congregation called "Not A Fan" where it challenges us to ask ourselves if we are just fans of Christ and admirers or if we are truly committed followers.

So, this Sunday, when you walk into the doors of your church, ask yourself the challenging question, "Why am I here? Am I just a fan or am I a follower?

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
HI, good question and am sure it made for a good sermon.

I don't go to church to develop a close relationship with Jesus. I do that at home in my quiet time with Him. I go to church to preach, exhort brothers and sisters and be exhorted.

Scripture is clear that we gather to wash and be washed. I battle to conform to a church where only one guy gets up every meeting to preach. I go to an assemblies of God church where we have open ministry. Sure there is an elder (we have 4) who preaches more then others, but he doesn't hog the platform.