"Why Blacks Should Be Homophobic"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fire-7

Feb 8, 2011
don't know if any of you here have ever heard of a man named G. Craig Lewis, but he is a well known black preacher who has produced many a controversial teaching - one of his most famous being "The Truth Behind Hip Hop," in which he breaks down the philosophy behind the hip hop and shows how it is an evil "religion." I personally do not agree with a lot of what he says or the way he says it, but there is no denying that the man has done some homework.

Being a black Same-sex-attracted man myself, I am always offended when he talks about the subject of homosexuality - which he does often! (doesn't mean I don't listen) But his latest blog, I actually found to be rather interesting (maybe because he didn't use derogatory slurs this time). If you feel like reading about 6 good paragraphs, I would like to know what you think about this article. I can't paste it here, but if you click on this link, http://gcraige.blogspot.com/ , it will take you to his blog page and the article which is at the top.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I scanned the article as you suggested.

If I picked up the basic premise, it's that homosexuality is sinful. We may also add here that pride, arrogance, murder, adultery, thievery, and substituting another god for the Almighty are sins, just to name a few. Is one worse than another? Jesus said that even thinking about one of them was sufficient to get sucked into the flames of eternal damnation.

The issue that's really up for discussion is social acceptance. Accepting this behavior contributes to the erosion of the family unit, which in turn erodes the community and the nation as a whole. That's the social justification for denying it. Don't misread me on this. The gay community is not solely responsible for the erosion of the family unit. The majority of the fault for that issue lies mostly in the lap of the heterosexual community AND OUR CHURCHES. Is our nation better or worse since the late 1960's when social changes of all sorts were happening in America?

There's a religious/spiritual reason as well. The attitude it fosters is one of arrogant and willful disobediance in the face of God. Want proof? Go visit the website for the international organization of The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. The international organizations' stated purpose is to promote "charity, protest, and street performance organization that uses drag and Catholic imagery to call attention to sexual intolerance and satirize issues of gender and morality." (Wikipedia) As a social group the SPI may or may not be a bad thing since it does not directly interfere with the operation of government. As a spiritual issue, it's way off base.

As for hip hop, I can only quote the statement of a friend who once reacted to criticism of old Rock 'n Roll. "Nobody ever got pregnant on the dance floor," he said.

I for one have never witnessed such a thing happening.

Billy Joel once commented on the 1950's preachers statement that Rock 'n Roll was from the devil. He said that he agreed and that their call was right. Don't have any idea why he said that since he made a very good living at it.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
As for hip hop, I can only quote the statement of a friend who once reacted to criticism of old Rock 'n Roll. "Nobody ever got pregnant on the dance floor," he said.

-- That's because they wait until after the dance.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090224132903.htm

Sexual Lyrics In Popular Songs Linked To Early Sexual Experiences
ScienceDaily (Feb. 25, 2009) — With sexual activity among adolescents in the United States resulting in over 750,000 teenage pregnancies each year and reports of up to 25 percent of all female adolescents in the US having sexually transmitted infections, researchers and public health officials are looking for those factors that might increase sexual activity in teens.

In an article published in the April 2009 issue of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, researchers found that teenagers who preferred popular songs with degrading sexual references were more likely to engage in intercourse or in pre-coital activities.

Writing in the article, Brian A. Primack, MD, EdM, MS, Center for Research on Health Care at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, states, "This study demonstrates that, among this sample of young adolescents, high exposure to lyrics describing degrading sex in popular music was independently associated with higher levels of sexual behavior. In fact, exposure to lyrics describing degrading sex was one of the strongest associations with sexual activity...These results provide further support for the need for additional research and educational intervention in this area."

Surveys were completed by 711 ninth-grade students at three large urban high schools. These participants were exposed to over 14 hours each week of lyrics describing degrading sex. About one third had previously been sexually active. Compared to those with the least exposure to lyrics describing degrading sex, those with the most exposure were more than twice as likely to have had sexual intercourse. The relationship between exposure to lyrics describing degrading sex and sexual experience held equally for both young men and women.

Similarly, among those who had not had sexual intercourse, those in the highest third of exposure to lyrics describing degrading sex were nearly twice as likely to have progressed along a noncoital sexual continuum compared to those in the lowest third. Finally, the relationships between exposure to lyrics describing non-degrading sex and sexual outcomes were not significant.

Students reported the number of hours per day that they listen to music and their favorite musical artists. Through a detailed content analysis, the percentage was calculated of each artist's most popular songs containing lyrics describing degrading sex. An exposure score for lyrics describing degrading sex was then computed by multiplying each student's hours of music exposure by the percentage of his or her favorite artists' songs that contain lyrics describing degrading sex.

Dr. Primack comments that these findings build on those of previous studies suggesting that exposure to sex in media messages may be a risk factor for early sexual progression.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
-- That's because they wait until after the dance.

True enough, but my friend just enjoyed dancing.
I suspect quite a few people do as well.

What about coffee?
A trip to the coffee shop is not always followed by a good book, if you know what I mean.

People will be people and there is always a lot of fooling around going on.
Any excuse will do.